Brad Hill - trade?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Brad Hill - trade?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/823965/cont ... crows-tall
SAINTS STAR CONSIDERS TRADE
BRADLEY Hill is open to being traded this off-season despite having two years to run on his contract at St Kilda.

Hill, who has played 20 games this season for the Saints in his third year at the club, is understood to be contemplating a move to a fourth AFL club across his career.

The former Hawthorn and Fremantle wingman has a close relationship with ex-Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson and could have interest in joining North Melbourne if Clarkson landed at the Roos.

Hill's mega contract would be a complication in any potential move in the upcoming Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period, with the three-time premiership player earning around $900,000 in the next two years after joining the Saints on a lucrative long-term deal at the end of 2019.

The 29-year-old has been shuffled around in different positions across his time at the Saints, dealing with stinging criticism about his form at different stages since starting for the club in 2020, when it made the semi-finals. Former Saint Leigh Montagna this week called on the club to potentially trade out established players such as Hill.

Hill has played 210 games and won the Dockers' best and fairest in 2017 before leaving the club the following season, when he was contracted to Fremantle. – Callum Twomey

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Re: Brad Hill - trade?

Made a big mistake coming to us although I love his smile.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

If Hannebery and Hill go that's a huge chunk of salary cap relief for the recruiters to squander.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Probably time to acknowledge we were never a destination club and never will be, if we can't fit a player in like Hill and get the best out of what tools he has then not a good look for the club.

older saint
SS Life Member

Hypothetical :

Clarkson goes to North
Hill says will to be traded to North
North don't have a second round pick.
Best chance is North split the pick 1 ( pick 2 really) and then look to trade a later first rounder and we pay say $150,000 for the first round privilege

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:39pm Hypothetical :

Clarkson goes to North
Best chance is North split the pick 1 ( pick 2 really) and then look to trade a later first rounder and we pay say $150,000 for the first round privilege
Maybe we could just do a player swap..

Hill for Xerri.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:53pm
older saint wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:39pm Hypothetical :

Clarkson goes to North
Maybe we could just do a player swap..

Hill for Xerri.
And we would have to stump up at least 1/2 of Hill's salary!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Hill would be great as the cherry on top of a good team, but in a middle of the road one he gets exposed in a few areas.

Going to North would be a terrible result for him IMO!

I don't want to be paying him to play somewhere else next year unless we get compensated with a great draft pick/player.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why don’t they play him on wing like they did at Freo?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:55pm Why don’t they play him on wing like they did at Freo?
Because unlike at Freo, we have plodder midfielders who have zero idea how to use a wingman properly. Our guys have been schooled into slow, precise, sideways ball movement patterns that means a Wingman is redundant. It's only this year that with McKenzie and Wood playing that role properly, Hill was a gun at either half back or forward using his elite kick to hit targets. A lot of our demise is due to MacKenzie not playing post Brisbane in BrisVegas.

Unpopular opinion but, I feel terribly sorry for Hill (in a football sense; not his bank balance). I think he was sold a pup with us and he's held up his end of the bargain largely. He's been durable and played most games - certainly covered the klms required but, we've just not had the players or a game plan that suits his attributes. That said, he's a cream on the cake kind of player - he'll make a good side great but, he won't make an average side good. Our cake is the main problem; not the cream.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:04pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:55pm Why don’t they play him on wing like they did at Freo?
Because unlike at Freo, we have plodder midfielders who have zero idea how to use a wingman properly. Our guys have been schooled into slow, precise, sideways ball movement patterns that means a Wingman is redundant. It's only this year that with McKenzie and Wood playing that role properly, Hill was a gun at either half back or forward using his elite kick to hit targets. A lot of our demise is due to MacKenzie not playing post Brisbane in BrisVegas.

Unpopular opinion but, I feel terribly sorry for Hill (in a football sense; not his bank balance). I think he was sold a pup with us and he's held up his end of the bargain largely. He's been durable and played most games - certainly covered the klms required but, we've just not had the players or a game plan that suits his attributes. That said, he's a cream on the cake kind of player - he'll make a good side great but, he won't make an average side good. Our cake is the main problem; not the cream.
Allowing for all that, Hill has far too many turnovers for someone who is cream.

Cream and turnovers, popular at dinner time.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:53pm Hill would be great as the cherry on top of a good team, but in a middle of the road one he gets exposed in a few areas.

Going to North would be a terrible result for him IMO!

I don't want to be paying him to play somewhere else next year unless we get compensated with a great draft pick/player.
He won the Freo best and fairest when they were 14th.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I don’t feel sorry for him

Season on the line last week and he gets 11 touches

Lethlean and the footy department and the senior coach should have had the balls to drop him early in 2021 at St Kilda. Play him for 2 weeks at Sandringham and then plonk him back on a wing. Not hiding him at halfback so that he can rack up cheap possessions.

Mason Wood and DMac can still play their roles (essentially as outside midfielders) but if we can not trade Hill he has to play wing next year imo. And…just let all players know that if they come back with skin folds below standard, they play at Sandringham in the first round of 2023
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

The wider expanses of the wings in WA also helped his footy as his strength was pace and his weakness is in tight physical football

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:29pm I don’t feel sorry for him

Season on the line last week and he gets 11 possessions.

Lethlean and the footy department and the senior coach should have had the balls to drop him early in 2021 at St Kilda. Play him for 2 weeks at Sandringham and then plonk him back on a wing.

Mason Wood and DMac can still play their roles (essentially as outside midfielders) but if we can not trade Hill he has to play wing next year imo
Thanks Scollo. We need more supporters recognising we should be allowed to blame players for us missing finals. Max King should be trialled in another postion other than number one banana in the forward line after his second half of the season and after costing us a finals spot.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:34pm

Lethlean and the footy department and the senior coach should have had the balls to drop him early in 2021 at St Kilda. Play him for 2 weeks at Sandringham and then plonk him back on a wing.

Mason Wood and DMac can still play their roles (essentially as outside midfielders) but if we can not trade Hill he has to play wing next year imo
Thanks Scollo. We need more supporters recognising we should be allowed to blame players for us missing finals. Max King should be trialled in another postion other than number one banana in the forward line after his second half of the season and after costing us a finals spot.
You remind me of Teflon. He likes to make the same point across multiple threads as well

You’re not Sunny Ernie are you?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

We won't and can't trade Hill in my Opinion.
No one will take on his contract and we wouldn't get enough back for him for our investment.
In hindsight a trading blunder but at the time seemed very reasonable.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:42pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:34pm

You remind me of Teflon. He likes to make the same point across multiple threads as well

You’re not Sunny Ernie are you?
So Hill was the reason we missed finals or he wasn't, it read like you were blaming Hill for us missing finals?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Just like I don’t credit 1 person or a few individuals for getting us into finals or for getting us into a GF even, the same is true for when you don’t make it

I originally joined this forum because of the lop sided love and messiah worship of Ross Lyon when he was our coach. It’s a team game and the team is a pretty large one including the senior coach, list management, selection committee, and all the players and assistants who have played a role in getting you there.

Lyon tainted his players and blamed them for losing the Grand Final against Geelong. At the time I thought it was a low act and someone looking for scapegoats. The sycophants on here gobbled up the lie and convinced most people that Grand Finals are won at half time or some are won at 3 quarter time.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Who would be looking at him right now? I can't think of a club who would have him in their plans, and they certainly wouldn't wanted to sacrifice much to get him

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 3:14pm Just like I don’t credit 1 person or a few individuals for getting us into finals or for getting us into a GF even, the same is true for when you don’t make it

I originally joined this forum because of the lop sided love and messiah worship of Ross Lyon when he was our coach. It’s a team game and the team is a pretty large one including the senior coach, list management, selection committee, and all the players and assistants who have played a role in getting you there.

Lyon tainted his players and blamed them for losing the Grand Final against Geelong. At the time I thought it was a low act and someone looking for scapegoats. The sycophants on here gobbled up the lie and convinced most people that Grand Finals are won at half time or some are won at 3 quarter time.
It’s also fact that you don’t make or miss finals because of one single game. A fact that has somewhat been missed by Vortex.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

We are the clowns of the afl

Oh well, looks like it’s back to the drawing board and back to the draft. Rebuild on rebuild on rebuild

#1 Ryder fan
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Well, I hope the NWM rumours are false.
Losing both Hill and NWM would be a big loss in skilful ball use, especially into the F50.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 6:49pm Well, I hope the NWM rumours are false.
Losing both Hill and NWM would be a big loss in skilful ball use, especially into the F50.
You mean just NWM?

Hill's skills have been deplorable lately ..... I look away everytime he gets it .... like when King kicks for goal

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I can’t see how Hill could be happy at St Kilda.

His skills are fine btw..but I wonder where his head is at..and how he’s been used.

Looks a bit lost to me.

The whole team lacks cohesion and doesn’t look happy, but Hill gets a reasonable amount of the ball and there is plenty of scope for turnovers in those wee five metre passes.

Real shame. Waste of talent.
I still think he has made a huge contribution and has really helped us in a few wins..

If he goes to North well it is a loss, but I think he is sometimes wondering himself about his role.

When we talk of Battle and others we give them plenty of chances. Not for Hill. He is crucified.
Well Alas.
What will be..if he ain’t happy and confident and part of a strongly organized team- he may look bad cos he will never be the ‘character bulldozer’ type who gets praised for slugging it out.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!