Club Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Club Review

IluvHarvey wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:46pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:23pm
IluvHarvey wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:53pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:11pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:59pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 11:53am https://www.saints.com.au/news/1201558/ ... ram-review

I cant believe Lethlean is to be part of the review, when he has managed the Football Dept for the past 4 years. Surely there is a conflict there?
Exactly. The guy with responsibility for the dysfunction in the club and the re-appointment of Ratten is part of the review. Like he was when there was a review during the Richo era. And look how that's helped.
If Max King kicks even just a couple of his 5 shanks are we talking about a review.
Whilst Max's poor kicking is one reason we did not make finals, we didn't miss finals just because he didn't kick straight last week.
Realistically after round 12 when we were 8 and 3 we should have never put ourselves in a position where we were relying on Goal Kicking in the 2nd last round to determine whether we made finals or not.
Last week should have been all about top 4 for us with that start to the season.
Have you seen Max King's numbers after the bye, he's had a stinker since the bye. I can only go on my eye test and form an opinion based on things I can see and I have regularly seen Max play incredibly poor and his game against the Lions cost us a finals spot. My eyes aren't deceiving me.

For the life of me I can't see how fans can demand people like Lethlean and Rath be sacked over made up BS that can't be verified with an eye test.
Not saying King's goalkicking last week was excusable just saying his goal kicking or lack thereof is not the reason we didn't make finals.
Yes his kicking has been horrific since the bye but let's break it down.

Rd13 against Lions we lost by 21points and King kicked 2.3 (finished that game with no bench)
Rd 14 vs Bombers lost by 35 points Kings one missed shot that night wasn't worth 36 points.
Rd 15 vs Swans lost by 51 pts Kings one missed shot not worth 52 points
Rd 17 vs Dockers lost by 41points again King's one missed shot not enough to win the game
Rd 18 vs Bulldogs lost by 28 points wow King kicked only 1 behind again that night.
Rd 21 vs Cats lost by 45 points King kicked one goal straight.
Rd 22 vs Brisbane lost by 15 points Yes this is one game where King missed 4 easy shots and we should have one.

You do also realise that even if we won last week we still had stuff all chance to make finals yeah?
We would need to beat a red hot Swans this week who need to win for a top 2 spot and we would need the Bulldogs to lose to Hawthorn.

The real problem is we can't move the ball anymore.
Since the bye we ave 42 inside 50's a game. That is not good enough.
Amongst other things, the old saying of "bad kicking is bad football" is very true- includes kicking for goal, and ongoing poor disposal is one of the things that needs a review

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:39pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:36pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:40pm I'm heartened, particularly the fact that Bassat dropped it on the Footy Dept at the end of a meeting. I think the Prez is pissed and is about to show his teeth. I actually think (hoping I'm right) that this is a fair dinkum review, that may get bloody.
I hope you're right but when the football manager and soon to be CEO, responsible for some absolute howlers, is on the review team there has to a conflict of interest.
Isn't Hannebery Letlean's only real howler? Anyway, I think Noble will be doing most of the reviewing.
Extending Ratten. Extending Richo. Both premature.

Club Player

Complete shambles.
Extend Ratten and then 8 weeks later announce a review/
Not a full review as obviously Ratten is secure.
Truly bizarre and very concerning.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

1966 wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 7:43pm Complete shambles.
It's just bloody rinse and repeat. Lethlean did exactly the same thing during Richardson's tenure. Conducted a "full" review except Richardson's performance as coach was not included in the review. " Let's have a thorough, no holds barred, in depth review to really get to the bottom of our failure, but let's not include the lil ole head coach."
F*** me it would be funny if not so downright galling and incompetent. 4 years on the same shyte. They can go and get f****. Seriously.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 8:33pm
It's just bloody rinse and repeat. Lethlean did exactly the same thing during Richardson's tenure. Conducted a "full" review except Richardson's performance as coach was not included in the review. " Let's have a thorough, no holds barred, in depth review to really get to the bottom of our failure, but let's not include the lil ole head coach."
F*** me it would be funny if not so downright galling and incompetent. 4 years on the same shyte. They can go and get f****. Seriously.
Who at the club has said Ratten isn't part of the review!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:10am
Teflon wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 11:28pm Oh and FFS Sexton needs to go
Been around way too long
Clean up the place
Do you know what Sexton does, does he do it well or does he do it badly ?

Or do you want him gone because Ross Lyin brought him to St Kilda ?
I think what 12-15yrars???
New ideas ???
Can it hurt ?
Perennial under performance
Clean it out ffs

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 11:53am https://www.saints.com.au/news/1201558/ ... ram-review

I cant believe Lethlean is to be part of the review, when he has managed the Football Dept for the past 4 years. Surely there is a conflict there?

The Noble appointment is a sound decision as although he struggled as a coach, he is highly thought of in the industry as a football administrator. Having overseen Adelaide's & Brisbane's rebuild and sucessful periods.
Yep
Sham
Guy should also be under review
Members treated like idiots
Bassatt must think we are stupid

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 9:24pm
Been around way too long
Clean up the place

New ideas ???
Can it hurt ?
Clean it out ffs
The times they are a changing.

Is that the new theme song.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I just did an independent review of Saintsational.

After an extensive review it was determined that SaintsRrising was the only forumite who did not need to improve.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 18 Aug 2022 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 9:11pm
He has just signed a 2 year contract extension. The review is clearly compromised.
If the review finds he isn’t the right person to coach what happens?
A review should have been completed before resigning him.
Even better would have been not to resign him and have brought in Clarkson. Didn’t need a review to tell you that was a good move.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 9:30pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 9:24pm
Been around way too long
Clean up the place

New ideas ???
Can it hurt ?
Clean it out ffs
The times they are a changing.

Is that the new theme song.
Good song love a bit Bob Dylan :wink:

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Indeed. It is a review of the Football Department, no mention of Ratten not being part of it.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ratts must have passed into the twilight Zone already by now.

He always looks exhausted at the best of times.

Maybe it’s just the old Rocasea thing but anyway words like review must be water off a ducks back.

The Review thing is a bit of a farce at Essendin now already… for what is the review up there supposed to do? Evaluate Rutten? For what?

So it is with either cynicism or indifference you’d expect from a senior cos h here..especially one with a few miles on the clock. Like an old truck getting f pulled over for a road worthy … by a local country cop and it’s 1950.

What can be expected? Maybe, they might draw to light the contract signing farce but perhaps the status quo it is just about the best way to do it given the Saints circumstances regardless of ‘culture’

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 12:06am
Indeed. It is a review of the Football Department, no mention of Ratten not being part of it.
As 1966 has noted, they've just extended him for two years. Whilst the review may include Ratten's performance, it's unlikely sacking Ratten is on the table when every option should be.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 8:15am
As 1966 has noted, they've just extended him for two years. Whilst the review may include Ratten's performance, it's unlikely sacking Ratten is on the table when every option should be.
Two possible outcomes amongst several are that Ratts position becomes untenable or Bassett's does. Certainly some players will go as will assistants but you would hope the review outcomes will include positive institutional changes.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Review had started some weeks ago. Board asking serious questions around the pursuit of DeGoey and the money being offered for an individual with a chequered history. Perhaps after the Hill and Hannebery deals the board had the right to ask the hard questions. I know I would.

Also questions around the structure of the football department, in particular more clarification around the roles of Rath and Gallagher.

Nothing wrong with having a review. Good business practice. It seems the president has his hands on the steering wheel this time around.

Perhaps Grant Thomas was right regarding the overbearing influence of Rath.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

What I'd like to konw:

Is Ratten actually being undermined/overruled by Rath?

Does Ratten have full control of coaching decisions including who plays and in what position?

Is Ratten getting the correct advice from Jake Batchelor regarding the readiness of players for senior call-up?

Does Ratten have any say on who is the midfield coach or the forward coach

Are certain assistants not being scrutinised for their performance?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 5:33pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 4:58pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 4:28pm
IluvHarvey wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 3:21pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 3:07pm
You are contradicting yourself by saying we can't move the ball but we gave Max 5 of the easier scoring shots agaisnt the Lions that an Auskicker would have nailed.

What you also miss with Max's poor season is his general play and poor attitude has also hurt the team.
So you are happy with 42 inside 50's a game?
Not contradicting myself at all even last week we had 17 inside 50's at halftime.
It was a miracle we were able to come back from that.
Also, for the record Max missed 4 easy shots not 5 don't let the truth get in the way though.
Our problems are a lot more than one guy and his missed kicks.
We have been smashed in everything since the bye.
Let's not even start with the delivery from our midfield to our forwards, or our inability to score from clearances, or the slow sideways kick in our defence, or our zone that can be cut through easily, or our lack of on field leadership.
I could go on but obviously you can't see that as you stated earlier.
Agree we have numerous problems but the reason we lost against the Lions was because Max couldn't execute the one job he is in the team for. If he kicks them we aren't talking about club reviews this week, we are talking about finals.
What if land is a comforting place. What if - Port game, what if Paddy...
You might just be missing the big picture story.
Thing is Max didn't kick them. And why was that the last gasp saloon anyway...
Bassett gets it. He doesn't have the memory of a goldfish, can remember v Dogs, v Freo.
I'm not missing anything, I'm highlighting how bat shyte crazy man kind has become. It's about tribalism and ideology, you pick a side and anchor yourself to it regardless of anything that resembles something sane.

It's about the need to apportion blame and make oneself feel better.

Some chose the prez the CEO, the football department, the coach, the assistants, the recruitment department...I choose Max King.

Everyone is free to choose who they blame, I prefer to rely on my eyes and pick someone that stuffs up in a way that can't be denied.

Max King cost us the game against the Lions. That doesn't mean I hate Max, it just means I'm allowed to be honest and I recon Max has probably apologise so many times since the game.
In typical Secret_Vortex style you're ignoring half the info to suit your chosen agenda for this month.

Why not talk about Max's performances in the Freo or Tigers or Crows games in the first half of the year?

Nup, stick to the agenda!

The whole club has been rubbish since the bye, Max is by no means on an island by himself.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

True, its probably not very likely, but not necessarily off the table. I think it will result in significant changes to Ratten's job.

I can understand why many think the review is corporate spin, however it appears that Bassat is actually deadly serious. He has taken the assessment of our current List out of the hands of the Footy Dept. and is seeking external advice on it. That's a significant move.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 12:22pm
True, its probably not very likely, but not necessarily off the table. I think it will result in significant changes to Ratten's job.

I can understand why many think the review is corporate spin, however it appears that Bassat is actually deadly serious. He has taken the assessment of our current List out of the hands of the Footy Dept. and is seeking external advice on it. That's a significant move.
I really hope you're right. Forgive me though that I have sfa faith this will lead anywhere meaningful. I hope I'm wrong. Lethlean came out before the Richo era review and said Richo was not in any danger of losing his job. "We're going to support him, not sack him", or words to that effect. Fat lot of good that review did after Richardson's contract was extended. Richo overstayed his welcome by at least a season, two if hard heads had of been in charge. Now four years on we have another review on the back of another dubious two year coach extension. Another review full of all the right sounding language about being serious about getting to the root of the issues. I'm so pissed with them. F*** 'em.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

If they were genuinely hard headedly serious about a review, then take Lethlean and Bassatt off it. The same people steering the ship are now reviewing how the ship is sailing.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 12:57pm If they were genuinely hard headedly serious about a review, then take Lethlean and Bassatt off it. The same people steering the ship are now reviewing how the ship is sailing.
How do you know they won't be included in the review, can you email me a copy of the terms or reference for the review?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 1:10pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 12:57pm If they were genuinely hard headedly serious about a review, then take Lethlean and Bassatt off it. The same people steering the ship are now reviewing how the ship is sailing.
How do you know they won't be included in the review, can you email me a copy of the terms or reference for the review?
They're sitting on the review committee. Like members of the government sitting on enquiries into potential wrongdoing on the government's behalf. Ridiculous and set up to ensure any sharp edges are taken off for the people who should be facing sharp edges, Lethlean in particular. Bassatt's statement banged on about how serious they are and how they've engaged external people to review the list. Nothing about having their own performances objectively reviewed. Whole organisation is a shambles.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 3:19pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 1:10pm
They're sitting on the review committee. Like members of the government sitting on enquiries into potential wrongdoing on the government's behalf. Ridiculous and set up to ensure any sharp edges are taken off for the people who should be facing sharp edges, Lethlean in particular. Bassatt's statement banged on about how serious they are and how they've engaged external people to review the list. Nothing about having their own performances objectively reviewed. Whole organisation is a shambles.
Yeah well I'm still cranky Max King cost us a game and a chance at finals so I hope the review identifies what is wrong with Max.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 9:33pm I just did an independent review of Saintsational.

After an extensive review it was determined that SaintsRrising was the only forumite who did not need to improve.
Any sackings?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi