Club Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Club Review

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 11:53am https://www.saints.com.au/news/1201558/ ... ram-review

I cant believe Lethlean is to be part of the review, when he has managed the Football Dept for the past 4 years. Surely there is a conflict there?
Exactly. The guy with responsibility for the dysfunction in the club and the re-appointment of Ratten is part of the review. Like he was when there was a review during the Richo era. And look how that's helped.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:59pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 11:53am https://www.saints.com.au/news/1201558/ ... ram-review

I cant believe Lethlean is to be part of the review, when he has managed the Football Dept for the past 4 years. Surely there is a conflict there?
Exactly. The guy with responsibility for the dysfunction in the club and the re-appointment of Ratten is part of the review. Like he was when there was a review during the Richo era. And look how that's helped.
If Max King kicks even just a couple of his 5 shanks are we talking about a review.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

From the President : "The club intends to share the outcomes of this process with its members at the conclusion of the review."

Let's wait and see how much is shared !

There have been many "reviews" undertaken by various clubs over the years. Most have been inconsequential. Past reviews at StKilda have certainly not resulted in significant/beneficial changes. I hope that internal politics are not allowed to influence the final report.

I don't know Noble, but an external reviewer and external assessment of our list are a good start. It's good people that make the difference. Unfortunately, political speak, not positive action, seems to be the key driver within most clubs today, including StKilda.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

I'm heartened, particularly the fact that Bassat dropped it on the Footy Dept at the end of a meeting. I think the Prez is pissed and is about to show his teeth. I actually think (hoping I'm right) that this is a fair dinkum review, that may get bloody.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Don't judge Noble on his abilities as a Coach, many including Ross Lyon say he's a very good footy administrator.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:41pm Don't judge Noble on his abilities as a Coach, many including Ross Lyon say he's a very good footy administrator.
But we all know that Ross Lyon is a notorious liar.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Just read at BF that Ratten has a six month clause in his contract. Is this true? If so, Ratten is far from safe.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:11pm

If Max King kicks even just a couple of his 5 shanks are we talking about a review.
Whilst Max's poor kicking is one reason we did not make finals, we didn't miss finals just because he didn't kick straight last week.
Realistically after round 12 when we were 8 and 3 we should have never put ourselves in a position where we were relying on Goal Kicking in the 2nd last round to determine whether we made finals or not.
Last week should have been all about top 4 for us with that start to the season.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:52pm Just read at BF that Ratten has a six month clause in his contract. Is this true? If so, Ratten is far from safe.
Sorry I have to laugh.
Asking a fan forum if the finer details of the Coach's contract (that you read from another fan forum) is true or not. Classic.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:55pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:52pm Just read at BF that Ratten has a six month clause in his contract. Is this true? If so, Ratten is far from safe.
Sorry I have to laugh.
Asking a fan forum if the finer details of the Coach's contract (that you read from another fan forum) is true or not. Classic.
Gotta agree with you. Anyone who reads and worse still, takes notice of any of the crap posted on that site either has rocks in their heads or has had a recent lobotomy.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Modern coaching contracts, especially for clubs on the AFL drip or so i believe.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:53pm

Whilst Max's poor kicking is one reason we did not make finals, we didn't miss finals just because he didn't kick straight last week.
Realistically after round 12 when we were 8 and 3 we should have never put ourselves in a position where we were relying on Goal Kicking in the 2nd last round to determine whether we made finals or not.
Last week should have been all about top 4 for us with that start to the season.
Have you seen Max King's numbers after the bye, he's had a stinker since the bye. I can only go on my eye test and form an opinion based on things I can see and I have regularly seen Max play incredibly poor and his game against the Lions cost us a finals spot. My eyes aren't deceiving me.

For the life of me I can't see how fans can demand people like Lethlean and Rath be sacked over made up BS that can't be verified with an eye test.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:59pm
Sorry I have to laugh.
Gotta agree with you. Anyone who reads and worse still, takes notice of any of the crap posted on that site either has rocks in their heads or has had a recent lobotomy.
Well, someone here here just posted that it is standard in Coach's contracts where the Club is getting AFL assistance. I have heard similar in the media. I wasn't attempting to present facts, just exploring how safe Ratten was.

I will give you a fact, industrial relations 101. As well as any formal written contract there is an implied contract between an employer and an employee. In certain circumstances employees can be sacked for a breach of it, without payout (except statutory minimums) and regardless of the written contract. I don't need to go further, as I'm sure a non lobotomised person such as you would already know that.

And I bet Bassat has, or will seek legal advice on that if he's not content with Ratten.

Edit: In fact Ratten's comments regarding Max King's kicking for goal at his after match presser, arguably made the Club look foolish. Bet you someone has noted it in his file.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Will the Saints Footy department be allowed to delist players, line up potential trades and even work out draft strategies before the review is finished or will everything have to go through
the review committee for approval ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:40pm I'm heartened, particularly the fact that Bassat dropped it on the Footy Dept at the end of a meeting. I think the Prez is pissed and is about to show his teeth. I actually think (hoping I'm right) that this is a fair dinkum review, that may get bloody.
I hope you're right but when the football manager and soon to be CEO, responsible for some absolute howlers, is on the review team there has to a conflict of interest.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 9:07pm If David Noble involved ............My God

I know a couple of people who were at North (off field Jobs) last couple years

He is a complete tool
So …we should definitely rule out picking up Horne-Francis then? :mrgreen: :P

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:36pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:40pm I'm heartened, particularly the fact that Bassat dropped it on the Footy Dept at the end of a meeting. I think the Prez is pissed and is about to show his teeth. I actually think (hoping I'm right) that this is a fair dinkum review, that may get bloody.
I hope you're right but when the football manager and soon to be CEO, responsible for some absolute howlers, is on the review team there has to a conflict of interest.
Isn't Hannebery Letlean's only real howler? Anyway, I think Noble will be doing most of the reviewing.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:23pm

Have you seen Max King's numbers after the bye, he's had a stinker since the bye. I can only go on my eye test and form an opinion based on things I can see and I have regularly seen Max play incredibly poor and his game against the Lions cost us a finals spot. My eyes aren't deceiving me.

For the life of me I can't see how fans can demand people like Lethlean and Rath be sacked over made up BS that can't be verified with an eye test.
Not saying King's goalkicking last week was excusable just saying his goal kicking or lack thereof is not the reason we didn't make finals.
Yes his kicking has been horrific since the bye but let's break it down.

Rd13 against Lions we lost by 21points and King kicked 2.3 (finished that game with no bench)
Rd 14 vs Bombers lost by 35 points Kings one missed shot that night wasn't worth 36 points.
Rd 15 vs Swans lost by 51 pts Kings one missed shot not worth 52 points
Rd 17 vs Dockers lost by 41points again King's one missed shot not enough to win the game
Rd 18 vs Bulldogs lost by 28 points wow King kicked only 1 behind again that night.
Rd 21 vs Cats lost by 45 points King kicked one goal straight.
Rd 22 vs Brisbane lost by 15 points Yes this is one game where King missed 4 easy shots and we should have one.

You do also realise that even if we won last week we still had stuff all chance to make finals yeah?
We would need to beat a red hot Swans this week who need to win for a top 2 spot and we would need the Bulldogs to lose to Hawthorn.

The real problem is we can't move the ball anymore.
Since the bye we ave 42 inside 50's a game. That is not good enough.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:26pm
saynta wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:59pm
Sorry I have to laugh.
Well, someone here here just posted that it is standard in Coach's contracts where the Club is getting AFL assistance. I have heard similar in the media. I wasn't attempting to present facts, just exploring how safe Ratten was.

I will give you a fact, industrial relations 101. As well as any formal written contract there is an implied contract between an employer and an employee. In certain circumstances employees can be sacked for a breach of it, without payout (except statutory minimums) and regardless of the written contract. I don't need to go further, as I'm sure a non lobotomised person such as you would already know that.

And I bet Bassat has, or will seek legal advice on that if he's not content with Ratten.

Edit: In fact Ratten's comments regarding Max King's kicking for goal at his after match presser, arguably made the Club look foolish. Bet you someone has noted it in his file.
Not doubting what you have heard or your knowledge on how Contracts in the "real world" run.
I was just asking that you asked the question here... on saintsational...

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:46pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:23pm

Not saying King's goalkicking last week was excusable just saying his goal kicking or lack thereof is not the reason we didn't make finals.
Yes his kicking has been horrific since the bye but let's break it down.

Rd13 against Lions we lost by 21points and King kicked 2.3 (finished that game with no bench)
Rd 14 vs Bombers lost by 35 points Kings one missed shot that night wasn't worth 36 points.
Rd 15 vs Swans lost by 51 pts Kings one missed shot not worth 52 points
Rd 17 vs Dockers lost by 41points again King's one missed shot not enough to win the game
Rd 18 vs Bulldogs lost by 28 points wow King kicked only 1 behind again that night.
Rd 21 vs Cats lost by 45 points King kicked one goal straight.
Rd 22 vs Brisbane lost by 15 points Yes this is one game where King missed 4 easy shots and we should have one.

You do also realise that even if we won last week we still had stuff all chance to make finals yeah?
We would need to beat a red hot Swans this week who need to win for a top 2 spot and we would need the Bulldogs to lose to Hawthorn.

The real problem is we can't move the ball anymore.
Since the bye we ave 42 inside 50's a game. That is not good enough.
You are contradicting yourself by saying we can't move the ball but we gave Max 5 of the easier scoring shots agaisnt the Lions that an Auskicker would have nailed.

What you also miss with Max's poor season is his general play and poor attitude has also hurt the team.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The external list assessment will be interesting. We can compare to ours.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 3:07pm
You are contradicting yourself by saying we can't move the ball but we gave Max 5 of the easier scoring shots agaisnt the Lions that an Auskicker would have nailed.

What you also miss with Max's poor season is his general play and poor attitude has also hurt the team.
So you are happy with 42 inside 50's a game?
Not contradicting myself at all even last week we had 17 inside 50's at halftime.
It was a miracle we were able to come back from that.
Also, for the record Max missed 4 easy shots not 5 don't let the truth get in the way though.
Our problems are a lot more than one guy and his missed kicks.
We have been smashed in everything since the bye.
Let's not even start with the delivery from our midfield to our forwards, or our inability to score from clearances, or the slow sideways kick in our defence, or our zone that can be cut through easily, or our lack of on field leadership.
I could go on but obviously you can't see that as you stated earlier.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 3:21pm

Not contradicting myself at all even last week we had 17 inside 50's at halftime.
Also, for the record Max missed 4 easy shots not 5 don't let the truth get in the way though.
Let's not even start with the delivery from our midfield to our forwards, or our inability to score from clearances, or the slow sideways kick in our defence, or our zone that can be cut through easily, or our lack of on field leadership.
Agree we have numerous problems but the reason we lost against the Lions was because Max couldn't execute the one job he is in the team for. If he kicks them we aren't talking about club reviews this week, we are talking about finals.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 4:28pm

Agree we have numerous problems but the reason we lost against the Lions was because Max couldn't execute the one job he is in the team for. If he kicks them we aren't talking about club reviews this week, we are talking about finals.
What if land is a comforting place. What if - Port game, what if Paddy...
You might just be missing the big picture story.
Thing is Max didn't kick them. And why was that the last gasp saloon anyway...
Bassett gets it. He doesn't have the memory of a goldfish, can remember v Dogs, v Freo.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 4:58pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 4:28pm

What if land is a comforting place. What if - Port game, what if Paddy...
You might just be missing the big picture story.
Thing is Max didn't kick them. And why was that the last gasp saloon anyway...
Bassett gets it. He doesn't have the memory of a goldfish, can remember v Dogs, v Freo.
I'm not missing anything, I'm highlighting how bat shyte crazy man kind has become. It's about tribalism and ideology, you pick a side and anchor yourself to it regardless of anything that resembles something sane.

It's about the need to apportion blame and make oneself feel better.

Some chose the prez the CEO, the football department, the coach, the assistants, the recruitment department...I choose Max King.

Everyone is free to choose who they blame, I prefer to rely on my eyes and pick someone that stuffs up in a way that can't be denied.

Max King cost us the game against the Lions. That doesn't mean I hate Max, it just means I'm allowed to be honest and I recon Max has probably apologise so many times since the game.