David Rath

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

David Rath

I am no expert on this guy, but there are certainly some negative comments on here

I heard on the Foxfoooty podcast that he is now going to be the Football manager at the Saints

Thoughts?

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: David Rath

I don't go off half cocked on an internet rumour fest and I can't do a performance review on Rath with my proven and trusted eye test like I can do on say Max King kicking for goal so I don't want to make a fool of myself and demand Rath be sacked without a clue.

Where as I can use my eye test to form an opinion on how King cost us the game against the Lions and ended any chance we had of playing finals.

Maybe I should ask the club if I can follow Rath around the club for a few months and and run my eye test up close and then report back here with some credibility of truth and facts.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

If he's been forwards coach this season, I'd suggest that role needs a fresh set of eyes. Structurally it's been poor. Too much pressure heaped on Max King to kick us a winning score. This has stood out to me for most of the season. He needs another strong-bodied, contesting key forward down there to help out ... and not Membrey and not a resting ruckman.

As to whether he's a good choice for footy manager, I wouldn't have a clue. He seems to have been highly-regarded in other roles, so maybe he can do it.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Isn’t Jack Hayes the big bodied contesting forward? We missed him this season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 4:55pm Isn’t Jack Hayes the big bodied contesting forward? We missed him this season.
Yes, he may be. But he wasn't getting a game when both Ryder and Marshall were available. Not enough run, apparently!

A bit of lateral thought might have provided an alternative once Hayes went down. Ruck Campbell and Ryder and leave Marshall forward for example. But not enough run, apparently!

Templar
Club Player

Loved the cameos from Hayes. Everyone talking about how much depth we had. Then a few months later. Basketcase list lol.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

David Rath is meant to be a good, smart football person so i have no issues with him being promoted to football manager, that'll get him out of the coaches box and may even relieve a bit of
angst on here. :lol:

I don't expect Hayes to hit the ground running when the 2023 season starts, i'm thinking he'll still be rehabbing from his ACL injury at that stage. So we'll need someone else.
I'm hoping we've recruited that someone else to fill the 2nd Key Forward role during the Free Agency, Trade, Draft or SSP windows, otherwise, i expect the issues with the forward line to be
the same as we've had this season.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Templar wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 6:41pm Loved the cameos from Hayes. Everyone talking about how much depth we had. Then a few months later. Basketcase list lol.
Hayes first game was amazing but ended up getting dropped back to Sandy & then got injured . So very hard to predict what sort of impact he would had IMO. Might have been the missing link but might have spent half the year at Sandy . I guess we will see next year :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 3:59pm I don't go off half cocked on an internet rumour fest and I can't do a performance review on Rath with my proven and trusted eye test like I can do on say Max King kicking for goal so I don't want to make a fool of myself and demand Rath be sacked without a clue.

Where as I can use my eye test to form an opinion on how King cost us the game against the Lions and ended any chance we had of playing finals.

Maybe I should ask the club if I can follow Rath around the club for a few months and and run my eye test up close and then report back here with some credibility of truth and facts.
Sure mate, and risk the club telling you to f*** off as they should do.

Killa
Club Player

Quite frankly, Hayes (finally) making an AFL List from Woodville West Torrens in the SANFL, and then receiving the commentary of his performance we see on here, is a commentary on the AFL and the structure of Lists

Basically, the recruiting is from the Under 18 competitions

Then you get to Wilkie from North Adelaide and Sharman from WWT (also)

The problem with the structure of our List saw the recruiting of State League players, of whom Wilkie was one at the time (the others have now all left)

This was the start point

We had a couple of older players who were not icons of the game but honest players at best - and we bought in Hannebery, Hill and Ryder (losing Carlisle to a back complaint)

Then we had the next generations so Billings then Gresham then Clark and Coffield and now Windhager, Owens and Wanganeen-Milera (then Adams, Peris, Heath and others gaining experience at VFL level)

We added from other Clubs with the likes of Membrey, Steele Jones and Higgins

And we see the class of McCartin, Acres and Hickey at premiership contending Clubs

Which hurts because they all gave evidence whilst at St Kilda that they were class

Acres to the mids, McCartin to assist Howard and Hickey to rotate Marshall forward to assist King and what do we have?

Plus injury free runs to Billings, Gresham, Clark and Coffield

Now to see who is recruited and who is Drafted

And who is lost

Then there are the questions such as, with Coffield and Clark with Paton as your flank defenders can Sinclair continue his rise to the midfield given his 2 sided skills and scoring abilities (so a goal scoring mid?)

And any others maturing and growing into their abilities

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope the Saints List and Recruiting guys get it right this off season.

After seeing their list in action in 2022 one would hope the brains trust are aware of the teams deficiencies and recruit accordingly. Is that the same as recruiting best available or is that method why
we end up with too many back flankers.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?