Cheerio Matt Finnis - St Kilda CEO since 2014.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cheerio Matt Finnis - St Kilda CEO since 2014.

Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 1:51pm
saynta wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 12:19pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 9:42am
saynta wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 9:05pm He threw a match against the Swans and then retired 3 players without their knowledge. He was out the door really before the season ended.

The prick's a confirmed liar so why are you so easily taken in by him trying to justify his low life actions years after the event.
Are you seriously suggesting that he threw the Elimination Final in 2011? Now who's rewriting history?
I suspect the 57-37 clanger count on the night might have been more of a factor.
There were two matches against the swans in quick succession. The one he went out of his way to lose was the one at Olympic park. I was there and it was f****** obvious.
Just so we're all clear on this "obvious" tanking approach...
Coming in to round 22, we were 6th on 42 points (10.5 wins). West Coast were 5th on 13 wins with games against Essendon, Brisbane, and Adelaide (two of the bottom four teams). We weren't catching them.

We lost to Sydney (8th) by 15 points in round 22 to staying 6th on the ladder as Essendon also lost to West Coast, which we knew at the time of our game, meaning we couldn't finish higher than 6th but could easily drop out of the 8.
We played North in round 23 and won by 65 points and remained 6th (equal with Sydney and Essendon on points).
In Round 24 with no ability to drop out of the 8, we play Carlton (5th) at the 'G. We win the game by 20 points ensuring we stay 6th and securing a home final at Docklands!

How does any of that stack up with throwing a game of football?
Sydney kicked 8.23 for the night. Imagine if they'd kicked straight. McEvoy was smashed by Mumford (54 hit outs to 25) earning Mummy 3 Brownlow votes. We lost clearances as a result 50-32. But...no we lost because our coach threw the game.
I will stick by what I have said. Coaching was poor to non existent in that game and no attempt by that see you next tuesay to stop the swans. He just didn't want to be there and it was f****** obvious. Yes in my mind he threw the game, and nothing you say will change that.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I presume he has done a reasonable job, though it is the board who ultimately decide that, as he works under their direction generally.

axcellence
Club Player

Thank god. The club improved somewhat off field.

On field, 2014 onwards has been a disaster. Lots of jobs for the boys. Dan Hannebery… everyone on tv was saying he was cooked. Nobody’s head rolled for that. Anybody remember Freeman? Also a 2014 decision.

Some Kiss of death type decisions as he left. McKenzie renewed, who promptly broke down after the contract was signed (9-10 rounds missed when it was originally a 4-5 week injury). Real Armitage like performance there. A retirement cheque to Ratten.

repta
Club Player

My issue is the wokeness and social justice.

The talk about town at the moment is getting Clarko to Essendon as he will bring back the ruthlessness.

Ruthless is not something that has ever been associated with stklida. Ross Lyon was uncompromising. Grant Thomas has that aspect as well.
The coaches under Finnas have been 'great blokes' not an ounce of ruthlessness or malice.
And we have had a period if mediocrity.

He has done some good things. Moorabbin increasing fan base etc. However if stkilda want to improve on the field they need to concentrate on the game. Every woke cause detracts.from the goal.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

So in one sentence you say ruthlessness has never been a quality at StKilda and then remark the Lyon and Thomas were ruthless? Bizarre.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hitler was ruthless. Mussolini was ruthless. Idi Amin was ruthless. Franco was ruthless.

How did that all work out?

It's not about being ruthless. It's about assembling the appropriate level of playing talent, and then developing a game plan that suits it and demanding the best effort from the players. The first thing it requires is intelligence.

Clarkson's ruthlessness achieved nothing at Hawthorn once the quality of the playing list was in decline

The bottom line is that you must assemble the talent first. Your most important people at the club are your recruiters and your list manager. Without them doing an outstanding job the rest just doesn't happen, no matter who is in charge

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Back to Matt Finnis. He's done a fine job. The club is in much better shape now than it was before his tenure. I say well done Matt Finnis.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 8:07pm
evertonfc wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 11:23am ...

Seemed more concerned with theme games (a bewildering obsession) than winning games. We became a vehicle for his chosen causes rather than pursuing what we need, a relentless drive to win at all costs. That really set us back a long way.
Perfectly put. Former head of the Players Association who seemed more focused on making St Kilda Employer of the Year and a beacon of social progress. While I'm all for these things aelsewhere, they're out of place in sports and the military and it's no coincidence that his tenure has been, on-field at least, a long blur of mediocrity.
Yes, that's right. Things like the Blue Ribbon Cup and Maddie's Match are just political correctness gone mad. It's just social engineering which has prevented us from winning multiple flags.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

double post deleted
Last edited by perfectionist on Thu 18 Aug 2022 12:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

So now social engineering has cost us premierships!! Oh my lord, that's just comedy gold

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 10:17am So now social engineering has cost us premierships!! Oh my lord, that's just comedy gold
We need a good laugh now and then barracking for St Kilda.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?