Delistings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delistings

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 11:11pm Good sides maintain good depth, I'd hate to see another Essendon theft for sweet FA. They love picking us off
It seems like Essendon doesn't know what it's doing, it's President is off, they now want an external review, the media is bleating for them to dump Rotten, err, Rutten and go after Clarko.
I need to munch on a bag of chips whilst i sit back i watch these clowns implode. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
repta
Club Player

Highmore Keep
Bytel Keep
Byrnes Keep (last chance)

Geary Gone already
Josiah Kyle Gone already

Hannebery Surely we have spent enough already !!!! Our soft cap cant take anymore

Allison Gone
Kent Gone

Ryder Needs to go
Joyce We need to get another ruck.

Killa
Club Player

In the first instance we need to know who is in prospect to come thru the door

Our deficiencies are support for Howard as a tall defender, support for King as a tall forward and added offensive skill in the centre square to feed off the inside work of Steele and Crouch

Good sides have good experience, so established class players post 200 games

We lack in that space

For that reason, I would keep Hannebery subject to medical sign off

We have a number who have been curtailed by injury - so we need some luck in that space

Joyce not playing in the absence of Howard may see his papers marked

Kent also, stuck on 99 games, may see his papers marked

Geary is already gone

I wound keep Bytel looking for an uninterrupted season - and Byrnes ability on both sides attracts as a keep

Campbell not playing with Ryder out suggests a limited future particularly given Heath

Sharman has played both ends given our absence of height so has strings to his bow

Adams is one who, along with Heath, is of interest to me noting our structure deficiencies

Steele has not been to pre injury standard - so we look for improvement there

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lol if Bombers snag Bytel
He’ll add grunt to their outside run
While we top up with Crouch (whose been good) but won’t be here when we challenge in 3-4 years time
Just dumb management

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

My list would be:

Joyce
Kent
Geary
Hannebery
Campbell

- I think there's a chance Hannebery will be kept on minimum wage, given he is so popular internally.
- Ryder will want to go on and if we can do it for mostly match payments, why not. His 12 or so games in 2023 will be very valuable.
- I would suspect Allison will be moved to the rookie list; he should be delisted but we'll never pay out a player so to the RL he goes.

No way we'll let any of Byrnes, Highmore or Bytel go as a delisting. Trading, maybe - but I think we should give all three much more game time next year.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 15 Aug 2022 3:45pm Lol if Bombers snag Bytel
While we top up with Crouch (whose been good) but won’t be here when we challenge in 3-4 years time
Just dumb management
Challenge in 3 to 4 lol.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Mon 15 Aug 2022 7:49pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 15 Aug 2022 3:45pm Lol if Bombers snag Bytel
Just dumb management
Challenge in 3 to 4 lol.
It’s the optimist coming out in me I know I know..

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Allison should go but I believe he has 2 more years to run. Move to rookie list
Geary already retired
Kent is gone
Hannebery might end up being given another year if the medical staff thinks he could turn things around. Probably playing for his career in the final game of the season
Campbell deserves another year - he's the perfect cheap backup ruck to help at Sandy, provide a competent reserve option for the AFL team and assist with Heath's development
Ryder should go around again with the goal of playing 10-12 games. No more than 2 consecutive games without a rest
Byrnes doesn't look like he is going to have what it takes. I would delist
Joyce gets another year as backup unless we come across a better readymade key defender
Bytel should get another year - hopefully he gets a game this weekend as well with Crouch suspended
Highmore gets another year but if a team wants to trade for him I'd be looking to upgrade a draft pick
Lienert has stepped in and been competent but I think he was just brought in to take Coffield's spot on the field for this year. He's no world beater and at 28 he isn't getting any better. A little harsh perhaps but I wouldn't give him another contract

To sum up, I'd move these players along: Geary, Kyle, Kent, Byrnes, Lienert (possibly Hannebery)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 1:16am Lienert has stepped in and been competent but I think he was just brought in to take Coffield's spot on the field for this year. He's no world beater and at 28 he isn't getting any better. A little harsh perhaps but I wouldn't give him another contract
I forgot Lienert. I'd wait until very late in the piece before deciding - but I can't quite make the case for keeping him. His limitations are too obvious now. Although I was a fan of his earlier in the year, he really isn't up to the standard required. Ranks higher than Joyce but I feel there must be better VFL options out there.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Prior to last week's game I thought the midfield was the recruitment departments greatest crisis but it is now the forward line. I have been saying since 2020 that Max had a technical flaw in his kicking but I always thought it was something he could fix but now I'm not so sure, I now think we have to accept it looks like a permanent disability.

So in my mind our greatest need in terms of recruitment is a tall forward/ruck and King needs to become second fiddle in our forward line.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 12:22pm Prior to last week's game I thought the midfield was the recruitment departments greatest crisis but it is now the forward line. I have been saying since 2020 that Max had a technical flaw in his kicking but I always thought it was something he could fix but now I'm not so sure, I now think we have to accept it looks like a permanent disability.

So in my mind our greatest need in terms of recruitment is a tall forward/ruck and King needs to become second fiddle in our forward line.
What rubbish.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 1:28pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 12:22pm Prior to last week's game I thought the midfield was the recruitment departments greatest crisis but it is now the forward line. I have been saying since 2020 that Max had a technical flaw in his kicking but I always thought it was something he could fix but now I'm not so sure, I now think we have to accept it looks like a permanent disability.

What rubbish.
Good point and well argued, so if not second banana in the forward line then would you trial him as a Ruck/defender.

older saint
SS Life Member

Get the right people around him (off field) and he will be mentioned in the same breath as Loewe, Roo as great tall forwards of this club at the end of his career ( barring major injury) . Lockett in another stratosphere IMO.
Loewe improved his kicking in his early 20s and he was way worse than King at the moment.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 3:07pm

Get the right people around him (off field) and he will be mentioned in the same breath as Loewe, Roo as great tall forwards of this club at the end of his career ( barring major injury) . Lockett in another stratosphere IMO.
Loewe improved his kicking in his early 20s and he was way worse than King at the moment.
But he's getting worse, and in the games where it matters. He has cost us a spot in the finals this year, I'm concerned that may impact his mental fragility even further. I'd be trialing him as a ruck/defender in the pre season.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 3:39pm

But he's getting worse, and in the games where it matters. He has cost us a spot in the finals this year, I'm concerned that may impact his mental fragility even further. I'd be trialing him as a ruck/defender in the pre season.
Surely your tongue is firmly in your cheek Vortex, no way is King going to be traded.

Yes, everyone is terribly disappointed in his goal kicking yips, makes me wonder that Roo passing his #12 on to Max was in fact a poisoned chalice...

As has been pointed out several times in discussions about Max King, at the same stage of their careers (58) he had a better accuracy rate than both Nick and Jack Riewoldt, the last game was nothing more than an aberration.

Have faith, he'll get his kicking sorted out and fulfil his potential.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 4:07pm

Surely your tongue is firmly in your cheek Vortex, no way is King going to be traded.

Yes, everyone is terribly disappointed in his goal kicking yips, makes me wonder that Roo passing his #12 on to Max was in fact a poisoned chalice...

As has been pointed out several times in discussions about Max King, at the same stage of their careers (58) he had a better accuracy rate than both Nick and Jack Riewoldt, the last game was nothing more than an aberration.

Have faith, he'll get his kicking sorted out and fulfil his potential.
Not suggesting he be traded, I'm suggesting we recruit his replacement as number one banana in the forward line and find a postion on the ground better suited to his strengths.
Possibly Ruck/defender.

older saint
SS Life Member

He didn't cost us a finals spot any more than:
- losing to port kicking 4.18 - Gresham 0.3, Higgins 1.3, Ryder 0.2, NWM 0.2;
- losing to Essendon where the whole team bar a couple turned up with their heads up their ass thinking they could just turn up
- Second half disappearance vs Freo
- WB loss where we laid 13 tackles in a half and kicked the ball to the opposition more than ourselves in the first qtr. 7.14 - Higgins 0.3,Gresham 0.2
- you could even say Steele, 13 poss, Clark 12 poss, Hill 11 - were as guilty for poor performance in a clutch game vs Brisabane

Blaming King for missing finals may make people feel better as they have a person to blame- reality is making finals involves performance over 22 games not one.
Time will tell and in 10 years one of us will be right and one wrong but happy to hitch my wagon to him as our top dog in the forward line.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Tue 16 Aug 2022 5:28pm

He didn't cost us a finals spot any more than:
- losing to port kicking 4.18 - Gresham 0.3, Higgins 1.3, Ryder 0.2, NWM 0.2;
- losing to Essendon where the whole team bar a couple turned up with their heads up their ass thinking they could just turn up
- Second half disappearance vs Freo
- WB loss where we laid 13 tackles in a half and kicked the ball to the opposition more than ourselves in the first qtr. 7.14 - Higgins 0.3,Gresham 0.2
- you could even say Steele, 13 poss, Clark 12 poss, Hill 11 - were as guilty for poor performance in a clutch game vs Brisabane

Blaming King for missing finals may make people feel better as they have a person to blame- reality is making finals involves performance over 22 games not one.
Time will tell and in 10 years one of us will be right and one wrong but happy to hitch my wagon to him as our top dog in the forward line.
We all need a person to blame, some people are blaming the coaches, the analytics guy, Rath, the CEO, I'm blaming players like King who failed to execute the basics for us missing the finals based on an eye test.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I'm just blaming St Kilda's incompetence, covers the gamut.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saintmike65
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 9:00pm Allison to Rookie

Geary
Kent
Connolly

Maybe Joyce

Not sure on Ryder or Hannebery
Need medical advice there

Definitely keep Campbell

I like your Allison to rookie list…Connelly I’m still hopeful of becoming a player, need someone to release Sinclair into the midfield.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

My read is - for 2023, pending any trades.

There are a few I could go either way on (e.g. Paton vs Webster). I think now we understand post-covid life we can trim some depth players.

If development players can be our depth too, it allows us to trim some of those and get some fresh blood in.

Best 22:
Nick Coffield
Zak Jones
Jade Gresham
Brad Crouch
Brad Hill
Jack Steele
Hunter Clark
Max King
Dan Butler
Marcus Windhager
Paddy Ryder
Rowan Marshall
Dougal Howard
Jack Higgins
Josh Battle
Tim Membrey
Mason Wood
Ben Paton
Jack Sinclair
Daniel McKenzie
Callum Wilkie
Jack Hayes

Development:
Mitch Owens
Oscar Adams
Tom Highmore
Leo Connolly
Max Heath
Cooper Sharman
Jack Peris
Josiah Kyle

Depth:
Ryan Byrnes
Jack Bytel
Jack Billings
Ben Long
Jimmy Webster
Jarrod Lienert
Tom Campbell
Darragh Joyce

Retire/Delist:
Dan Hannebery
Jarryn Geary
Dean Kent
Matt Allison

spert
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 8:49pm By all accounts from BF - Bytel is off to Essendon and NWM has asked to return to Adelaide this year or next.
Essendon have a few similar players to Bytel, so not sure if they would look at him.

lefty
Club Player

If we delist Bytel is would be the biggest joke when our midfield is so crap currently.

Byrnes I'm fine with, he isn't up to it.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt's take on the Saints list and what needs to happen to it is on the money but will the club be brave enough to go that far. He says.....

This is a really critical time for St Kilda, the next 12 to 24 months, because if you look at the previous strategy; they’ve gone down the path of bringing in mature-aged players, which has elevated them to an average team, and that’s about it.

“But if you look below that, at the young talent who are gonna form the elite core of this club for the next five to 10 years, there isn’t much there. And so what is the strategy? Because it’s no good topping up with Hannebery and Hill and Jones and these guys when you haven’t got the organic growth coming from underneath. So all of that strategy needs to be looked at and pulled apart.”

In terms of what could come next, Riewoldt said some hard decisions at the trade table could be necessary to kickstart the side’s regeneration.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... baa3a06506

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Paddy Ryder more likely to retire than not

saint4life