Montagna on Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Montagna on Saints

Vortex wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 8:10am
skeptic wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 10:51pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 9:08pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 8:28pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:59pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 1:05pm
B.M wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 8:55pm We cannot afford to rebuild

We’d be like Hawthorn or North Melbourne for 3 years

Then maybe 3 years climbing

And what guarantees that we would even climb

It would be our death knell
I read a post here a little while ago that said we had turned over 23 players since the end of 2019. Is that the case? If that is the number or close to it, then I would say by definition, we've been rebuilding for 3 years. Its looking like we are going to continue that pattern this year.
That’s a really good point. You can do a pretend rebuild ( Saints post Richardson) and you can paper over the cracks like we have and be a middle of the road team for many years. It’s just that doing a proper rebuild has always been seen as potentially going to the bottom of the ladder and staying there for a few years

North Melbourne aren’t dying as a club because they are bottom of the ladder for a while. Clarkson is nearly over the line so you can’t say it’s been their ‘death knell’

We get all these club apologists who tells us the football department and list managers chose the right strategy with recruiting recycled players like Hannebery, Hill, Howard, Jones, Higgins and also in late 2020 with the disastrous calls on Abbott, Frawley and McKernon

For the longer term survival of our football club we’d be better off doing a fair dinkum rebuild which involves getting top ten draft picks for the next 3 years. I think we are making good inroads in these areas and I think Ratts and Batchelor and co. are the people to lead us and continue to improve our footy department and our development of players.

If the club secures a couple of good senior players and we still don’t make finals in 2023…then I think people will finally come to realise that you can’t take shortcuts to try and win a flag
Totally baffled why anyone still thinks Ratten is the best option for head coach.
Funny I don't remember you being ahead of the curve when we were 8 and 3. A bit of the Harry Hindsights going on.
Honestly...

I think your off point here. St. B, may have been quieter then but I think he’s been pretty vocal about his concerns with Ratten almost since the outset and certainly with regularity since 2021.
Illustrates the point beautifully. How does that saying go about a broken clock. It would be like saying even Teffers had concerns.

I have concerns about our next coach failing, there's a big chance I'll be right.

Very easy to predict failure, any moron can do it. Predicting success is where the real skills are at.

And the idiots are easy to spot, they are the ones claiming we should of known at 8 and 3 that Ratts should have been sacked and replaced with Clarko.

So I'm curious who would your choice have been to replace Ratts and would that fix our list issues?
Hi Vortex,

Your initial contention here was just outright not true hence my fact correcting. You seem to have interpreted that as a validation of your initial position with a form a logic that I’m not able to follow.

I’d be happy to have a discussion with you regarding my own preferences for coaching as you no doubt remember that I didn’t share my original top choice post Richo beyond stating that Ratten was not my primary preference .

Here’s the thing though… your posting as of late looks to me as though it’s veered into this direction of being provocative and outrageous in a way that that’s geared towards insulting others.

True or imagined, in this context partaking in this “schtick” seems like it will be a wholly unsatisfying experience for me.

Maybe another time.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 1:17pm

I read a post here a little while ago that said we had turned over 23 players since the end of 2019. Is that the case? If that is the number or close to it, then I would say by definition, we've been rebuilding for 3 years. Its looking like we are going to continue that pattern this year.
That’s a really good point. You can do a pretend rebuild ( Saints post Richardson) and you can paper over the cracks like we have and be a middle of the road team for many years. It’s just that doing a proper rebuild has always been seen as potentially going to the bottom of the ladder and staying there for a few years

North Melbourne aren’t dying as a club because they are bottom of the ladder for a while. Clarkson is nearly over the line so you can’t say it’s been their ‘death knell’

We get all these club apologists who tells us the football department and list managers chose the right strategy with recruiting recycled players like Hannebery, Hill, Howard, Jones, Higgins and also in late 2020 with the disastrous calls on Abbott, Frawley and McKernon

For the longer term survival of our football club we’d be better off doing a fair dinkum rebuild which involves getting top ten draft picks for the next 3 years. I think we are making good inroads in these areas and I think Ratts and Batchelor and co. are the people to lead us and continue to improve our footy department and our development of players.

If the club secures a couple of good senior players and we still don’t make finals in 2023…then I think people will finally come to realise that you can’t take shortcuts to try and win a flag
Totally baffled why anyone still thinks Ratten is the best option for head coach.
Funny I don't remember you being ahead of the curve when we were 8 and 3. A bit of the Harry Hindsights going on.
Honestly...

I think your off point here. St. B, may have been quieter then but I think he’s been pretty vocal about his concerns with Ratten almost since the outset and certainly with regularity since 2021.
Illustrates the point beautifully. How does that saying go about a broken clock. It would be like saying even Teffers had concerns.

I have concerns about our next coach failing, there's a big chance I'll be right.

Very easy to predict failure, any moron can do it. Predicting success is where the real skills are at.

And the idiots are easy to spot, they are the ones claiming we should of known at 8 and 3 that Ratts should have been sacked and replaced with Clarko.

So I'm curious who would your choice have been to replace Ratts and would that fix our list issues?
Hi Vortex,

Your initial contention here was just outright not true hence my fact correcting. You seem to have interpreted that as a validation of your initial position with a form a logic that I’m not able to follow.

I’d be happy to have a discussion with you regarding my own preferences for coaching as you no doubt remember that I didn’t share my original top choice post Richo beyond stating that Ratten was not my primary preference .

Here’s the thing though… your posting as of late looks to me as though it’s veered into this direction of being provocative and outrageous in a way that that’s geared towards insulting others.

True or imagined, in this context partaking in this “schtick” seems like it will be a wholly unsatisfying experience for me.

Maybe another time.
What you are probably noticing is my irritability and intolerance to another "blame the coach" event. Its why I don't consume any news or politics, I find the whole shibang demeaning, petty and tedious and being across it doesn't enrich my daily life in the slightest. The only social media I access is anything to do with footy, don't do Facebook, instagram, twitter etc, don't even do WhatsApp or Telegram. All my friends and family know if they want to communicate they have to call me. And that's no because I'm an old fact who rejects technology, far from as my working life is science based and relies on me sitting in front of a screen.

I'm glad it's the end of the season as it will be a good opportunity to have a rest and keep away from what is shaping up as a really tedious off season on forums like SS. And I fear it will now dog us into the 2023 season and beyond with morons constantly referring to North and Clarko.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 3:22pm

Hi Vortex,

Maybe another time.
What you are probably noticing is my irritability and intolerance to another "blame the coach" event. Its why I don't consume any news or politics, I find the whole shibang demeaning, petty and tedious and being across it doesn't enrich my daily life in the slightest. The only social media I access is anything to do with footy, don't do Facebook, instagram, twitter etc, don't even do WhatsApp or Telegram. All my friends and family know if they want to communicate they have to call me. And that's not because I'm an old fart who rejects technology, far from it as my working life is science based and relies on me sitting in front of a screen.

I'm glad it's the end of the season as it will be a good opportunity to have a rest and keep away from what is shaping up as a really tedious off season on forums like SS. And I fear it will now dog us into the 2023 season and beyond with morons constantly referring to North and Clarko.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 3:56pm

Hi Vortex,

Maybe another time.
What you are probably noticing is my irritability and intolerance to another "blame the coach" event. Its why I don't consume any news or politics, I find the whole shibang demeaning, petty and tedious and being across it doesn't enrich my daily life in the slightest. The only social media I access is anything to do with footy, don't do Facebook, instagram, twitter etc, don't even do WhatsApp or Telegram. All my friends and family know if they want to communicate they have to call me. And that's not because I'm an old fart who rejects technology, far from it as my working life is science based and relies on me sitting in front of a screen.

Enjoy your break, you never lnow, so might we.

I thought telegrams were ceased just after the wheel was invented.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 3:37am
Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 2:46am

“ North Melbourne aren’t dying as a club because they are bottom of the ladder for a while. Clarkson is nearly over the line so you can’t say it’s been their ‘death knell“

Every indication would suggest this Clarkson move is there last chance to survive as a club. If this fails there done… relocated or folded with 100% certainty. We cannot afford to put ourselves in that position and clear house like north did at the end of 2016. That list management decision could single Handedly ruin 153 years of history for them.
So the people spending $Billions on media broadcast rights didn’t sign contracts with the AFL and North will fold if they can’t get Clarko… Yeah sure

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 5b5st.html

https://www.channelnews.com.au/afl-righ ... oadcaster/
You misinterpreted my post. The point I was making is if north don’t turn it around under clarko they will not exist at the beginning of the 2028 AFL season.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 8:27pm
You misinterpreted my post. The point I was making is if north don’t turn it around under clarko they will not exist at the beginning of the 2028 AFL season.
Good to know we have our very own Nostradamus on the forum

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Honestly...

I think plenty of “idiots” were on here saying don’t sign the coach just cause we are 8-3
You can go back and find my posts I’ve always wanted an EA
The only idiots on here now would be the ones trying somehow suggest that decision by the club has been vindicated
Or that after 7 games Sharman is a bust ! :D

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 15 Aug 2022 7:52am
Scollop wrote: Mon 15 Aug 2022 2:47am
Vortex wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 11:45pm Some anonymous bloke on BF says we lost the game because King couldn't kick a goal after his teammates worked their arses off to get him a shot within 15m directly in front, not once but 5 times. Says he's not good at maths but he calculated King only needed to convert 3 of the gifts handed to him on a platter and we win and remain in finals race.

This bloke over at BF really understands footy if you ask me.
Vortex

You should tell the bloke on BF he's a fkhead because they weren't all sodas 15 m out. His first point was actually a snap on the run after picking up a loose ground ball

Tim Membrey also missed two relatively easy set shots. One late in the dying minutes of the third and one in the last quarter. Windhager also missed a relatively easy set shot in the last qt and Butler and Hill and Steele and others fumbled and couldn't get their hands on the footy when we were dominating the play and dominating inside 50's in the middle stages of the last quarter

...and yet we continue to blame 1 person for the loss. I initially went pretty hard at him too and wanted to scapegoat him but that's NOT how team sport works :x
Yes but the bloke on BF also said that it's all the Coaches fault so it's not just one person's fault, that makes it two people's fault. He says Ratts can't coach and King can't kick a goal to save himself.

That's pretty bad isn't it Scollo, as you say it's a team game and all the teams I ever played in had a FF who could kick goals and a coach who had a game plan.

The bloke over at BF is a genius if you ask me.
I know the one - Cairnsman
He’s an utter knob just ignore
All others there I notice do
Will report back if I find any additional BF gems to keep the education going…

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We rebuild or cut the list hard - it will be half a decade down the bottom and that’s if (a big if!) we even get the rebuild right

We’d be foolish to go down that path

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 4:09pm

Hi Vortex,

Maybe another time.

Yep Vort needs a rest
Take a Bex and a good lie down Vort
See you next year

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:54am
Wayne42 wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 4:09pm

Hi Vortex,

Maybe another time.

Yep Vort needs a rest
Take a Bex and a good lie down Vort
See you next year
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?