Changes v Brisbane

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Changes v Brisbane

While we can mathematically still make the finals it must be all guns blazing:
Brisbane off a 5 day break also and a shocking last qtr .

Out: Hanners (inj), Sharman
In: NWM, Bytel

Or if going 2 rucks
On: Campbell, Bytel

Hanners obvious and while Sharman has been ok a couple things sit in mind from Saturday - one in the backline where he hand balled to Wesbter and didn't lay the sheppard, webster run down - goal Stengle in 2nd qtr when we had momentum. The other being a few kicks which were direct turnovers - not alone i realise. Has talent but IMO needs to realise there is more than going for mark of the year/spoil of the year when the ball hits the ground.

They may play Jones - cant judge him on 1 qtr and didn't play yesterday interestingly enough so may well be marked to play this week.

Having watched Brisbane now last 2 weeks absolute Jeckel and Hyde bets is awesome but have now played 3 qtrs which were sub standard and lost a game because if it and nearly blew it yesterday after being 50+ points up

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Brisbane

Pass the popcorn

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Is Max King still playing?

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Templar
Club Player

Points taken older saint but Sharman's game show he is definitely a keeper. Was good to see someone taking contested marks around the ground. How many did he grab was it three or four? Could he be a potential matchup for Hipwood?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 11:33am Points taken older saint but Sharman's game show he is definitely a keeper. Was good to see someone taking contested marks around the ground. How many did he grab was it three or four? Could he be a potential matchup for Hipwood?
As has been the case for over a month now, what other options do the selectors have, it's not as though the selectors sit around the selection table each week feeling like they are blessed with options, especially for key positions.

The positive is Sharman is getting a game but otherwise wouldn't be if our list wasn't a rabble, the down side is he may lose confidence if he keeps getting slaughtered each week while playing with the big kids.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 11:12am Is Max King still playing?
He's out on the ground but i think he just runs around to keep warm, fitness guys have told him that might help him avoid getting a soft tissue injury.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Templar
Club Player

I can't see Sharman losing confidence from his game on Saturday. To me it was very encouraging.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
older saint
SS Life Member

Templar wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 11:33am Points taken older saint but Sharman's game show he is definitely a keeper. Was good to see someone taking contested marks around the ground. How many did he grab was it three or four? Could he be a potential matchup for Hipwood?
Battle - Daniher
Wilkie - Hipwood
Howard - McStay

No match up there for him.
Cameron - Paton
Webster - McCarthy
Sinclair - 6th forward ( probably tagged by Robinson)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hanners out.. Bytel in.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 11:45am I can't see Sharman losing confidence from his game on Saturday. To me it was very encouraging.
In terms of us fielding a team this year that is capable of winning the next 2 games and reaching finals and possibly winning a game or 2?

Or encouraging in terms of he's shown enough to invest 2 more years of development and hope he can become finals standard in the next 2 or 3 years after developing at Sandy?

Personally I think the latter because can anyone really see him playing in a finals team (other than us) in 3 weeks time. Is he ready for that?

Templar
Club Player

Encouraging potential long term player (preferably fwd). Saturday proves he can take big grabs and he gave us glimpses earlier of dead eye dick goal kicking capacity.

Regarding next two games - I will leave that to those who know better than I do. Player availability, fitness, matchups etc.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

It's St Kilda. The bastards will win and string us along for another week.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Really hard to assess Bytel's form. To me, he plays like Crouch. Do we need two Brad Crouch types playing in the one midfield? Bytel is slow. I'd be more inclined to give Owens more midfield time and bring Connolly in to give us some desperately needed speed and kicking skills.

Of course there's the option to bring Jones off the sub bench to replace Hannebery. That seems to be the most obvious. Can't see why Sharman would be dumped.

Out: Hannebery

In: Jones

Sub: Connolly

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 1:19pm Encouraging potential long term player (preferably fwd). Saturday proves he can take big grabs and he gave us glimpses earlier of dead eye dick goal kicking capacity.

Regarding next two games - I will leave that to those who know better than I do. Player availability, fitness, matchups etc.
Who do they chose if they think they are leaving Sharman out?

nobhead
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 1:25pm Really hard to assess Bytel's form. To me, he plays like Crouch. Do we need two Brad Crouch types playing in the one midfield? Bytel is slow. I'd be more inclined to give Owens more midfield time and bring Connolly in to give us some desperately needed speed and kicking skills.

Of course there's the option to bring Jones off the sub bench to replace Hannebery. That seems to be the most obvious. Can't see why Sharman would be dumped.

In anyone who can hit a target
Run both ways
Make smart decsions
Can stick a takle
And last but not least has the desire to win a game of footy

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 1:25pm Really hard to assess Bytel's form. To me, he plays like Crouch. Do we need two Brad Crouch types playing in the one midfield? Bytel is slow. I'd be more inclined to give Owens more midfield time and bring Connolly in to give us some desperately needed speed and kicking skills.

Well we can certainly assess Jones' form from his body of work and how he will play whenever he is picked.
With Bytel there is hope in untapped potential and he seems calm under pressure. Unlike Jones.
Bytel, NWM and Connolly in
Hannebery, Webster, Jones out, and hard to see any loss in team capability with that. Dan can always shout from sidelines. Jones can watch Neale and Webster Starcevich. The suggested ins will get good experience and have a chance to show off what they have.
As for winning, shouldn't think so unless Max realises Andrews is slow, Gardener can't really play and their other defenders are shortish. Forwards coaches might mention it to him, if they have noticed.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

older saint wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 11:45am
Battle - Daniher
Wilkie - Hipwood
Howard - McStay

No match up there for him.
Cameron - Paton
Webster - McCarthy
Sinclair - 6th forward ( probably tagged by Robinson)
Daniher too tall for Battle.
A few weeks ago, Battle went to a tall Fwd (which match? Can't recall) but the difference in height was quite obvious.
Battle couldn't spoil at all.
Tried but didn't get near it when his oppo was marking it

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
footynut
Club Player

Can we start Max in the Backline to teach him what the term "work ethic means"

Killa
Club Player

As a guest of Geelong last Saturday night, so with the best seat in the house, the sub par player for St Kilda was Ross

A lack of accountability, a lack of presence and abysmal with the ball in hand

The Geelong comment on Hannebery at half time was how valuable he was to St Kilda - the opposite to Ross

Sharman shows promise His leaping ability in a side which lacks height is valuable as well

Bytel for Ross for mine - Bytel could not be any worse

Webster also was very ordinary

Both Ross and Webster are approaching 30 years of age with no stand out features so of the past

Neither can influence results

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 4:12pm As a guest of Geelong last Saturday night, so with the best seat in the house, the sub par player for St Kilda was Ross

The Geelong comment on Hannebery at half time was how valuable he was to St Kilda - the opposite to Ross

Sharman shows promise His leaping ability in a side which lacks height is valuable as well

Both Ross and Webster are approaching 30 years of age with no stand out features so of the past

Gee as usual it sounds like you were very high up, I almost feel like your views are beyond reproach.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 6:35pm
Killa wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 4:12pm As a guest of Geelong last Saturday night, so with the best seat in the house, the sub par player for St Kilda was Ross

Gee as usual it sounds like you were very high up, I almost feel like your views are beyond reproach.
It’s difficult to argue with someone when they have such strong opinions. I’d love to see some facts and some statistics to back up his views…

Hey Vortex….I have an idea…Why don’t you start a poll! Should posters have at least something numerical and factual when slagging off on a player?
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 08 Aug 2022 8:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I don’t agree at all with your assessment of both Seb or Jimmy. Webster was one of the strongest players for us on the night and I’d be willing to bet that Jimmy will poll some good votes in the Trevor Barker Medal for this particular match

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 8:22pm

It’s difficult to argue with someone when they have such strong opinions. I’d love to see some facts and some statistics to back up his views…

Hey Vortex….I have an idea…Why don’t you start a poll
I love polls. My poll would be how many more tall players did Geelong have than us?

Was it more than 1
Was it more than 2
Was it more than 4
Do our players look like midgets when you are very high up.
Can leaping ability make taller players shorter

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

“I’m kind of a big deal. People know me.”

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 8:22pm

Hey Vortex….I have an idea…Why don’t you start a poll! Should posters have at least something numerical and factual when slagging off on a player?
“They’ve done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works every time.”

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.