Are we so used to failure…

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Are we so used to failure…

That we accept mediocrity as success?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we so used to failure…

Yes

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I don’t know any different

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it seems so. I think, over the years, we are so happy to just make up the numbers. There is no killer attitude, no selflessness. We always seem to be unprofessional in some way/s. we pick players in the twilight of their careers or rejects who we think we can magically tune into superstars.

The club, from the president down, need a review, get rid of all the deadwood and start again.

Having said that, we are only 2 points outside the 8 but, if nothing happens, we're not going to get any better than average.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 10:17pm That we accept mediocrity as success?
Yep, I had exactly the same thought today.
Habituated.
So even yesterday, you find yourself saying, well we had a good second quarter!
Toughest team to follow in football.

We need some really hard nosed smart decisions from here, or another generation of Saints fans and players will go disappointed.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah we are but do we have a choice ? Like most I've only ever known disappointment so IMO I think you just accept that as the norm . Every year I'm hopeful but always aware that even if we give ourselves an opportunity to play finals the probability of getting to the big dance is a pipe dream . IMO we are miles away ATM poorly coached & a very thin list & probably going to struggle to be any better next year . I will never stop believing but my expectations aren't high & will probably go to grave without a flag but hey there's so more to life than the St.Kilda FC & at my age I just want to enjoy it while I can 😉

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, just looking around here it doesn’t take long to see the “well done boys, I’ll support you no matter what!” crowd.

That’s the crowd that are happy with mediocrity.

It is possible to both support someone/thing and also fiercely demand success.

Some struggle with the concept.

St Kilda has a history of supporting mediocrity. How many times have you heard “yeah we’d get flogged most weeks, but it was ok because we got to see Plugger kick a bag!”

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
BadRossco
Club Player

We are not in a good place as few good players are willing to come to the Saints, we only seem to attract the ones looking for the money without having to work hard. The draft may be our answer but then need to be able to develop and keep them.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The thing that tells me we are is the amount of people in here now justifying this disaster of a second half of the season with “this list is no good/lacks skill”
This list lacks confidence in a coaching style/game plan - they do t believe
To accept being 8-3 and going from that to a bottom 4 side is mediocrity personified and some justify Rattens doing ok and it’s just the list
The mind boggles

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think expectations were unrealistic at round 11-12 and some fans didn't quite read the tea leaves. I had hope but I wasn't surprised our form dropped off with injuries to our captain and to Marshall and of course Gresham had also been carrying some niggles which just got worse

RoMa had to start the year without Ryder and he bore the brunt of the work which may have taken it's toll on him. Ryder has only played 12 games in season 2022. We also lost Coffield before the season started and Zac Jones was in very good touch in the preseason before his little 6 week holiday

The injury to Hayes was a set back when he started fitting in to the forward line and he was a great back up to Roma and Ryder. The forward line seemed to function better with Jack Hayes and the mids were at the top of their game early in the year

We'd obviously overachieved and perhaps peaked a little too early in the season. Carlton are a prime example of a team who has dropped off in winning form because of several injuries and the toll it can take on the players who need to shoulder the load

I reckon if you take into account our injuries and games missed from some of our starting 22 then I don't think we are as bad as some people make us out to be

If you take out 3-4 of the best players from Collingwood or Melbourne, how would they be travelling.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 2:16am I think expectations were unrealistic at round 11-12 and some fans didn't quite read the tea leaves. I had hope but I wasn't surprised our form dropped off with injuries to our captain and to Marshall and of course Gresham had also been carrying some niggles which just got worse

RoMa had to start the year without Ryder and he bore the brunt of the work which may have taken it's toll on him. Ryder has only played 12 games in season 2022. We also lost Coffield before the season started and Zac Jones was in very good touch in the preseason before his little 6 week holiday

The injury to Hayes was a set back when he started fitting in to the forward line and he was a great back up to Roma and Ryder. The forward line seemed to function better with Jack Hayes and the mids were at the top of their game early in the year

We'd obviously overachieved and perhaps peaked a little too early in the season. Carlton are a prime example of a team who has dropped off in winning form because of several injuries and the toll it can take on the players who need to shoulder the load

I reckon if you take into account our injuries and games missed from some of our starting 22 then I don't think we are as bad as some people make us out to be

If you take out 3-4 of the best players from Collingwood or Melbourne, how would they be travelling.
That's all very well...but what are your thoughts on Brad Crouch?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Not sure about the fans but the admins of the last decade have been very good at rewarding mediocrity.

Mistaking "stability" for good management.

Falling over themselves to reappoint Richo and now Ratten.

Promoting the bloke who paid massive overs for Hannebury and Hill and after four years claims "we're not a top team".

Taking too long to give the marching orders to the likes of Trout and Pelchen.

Saw Roo last night saying the decsision to trade McEvoy seemed "mind-boggling" at the time and was clearly the work of some guys "trying to show how smart they were."

Seems there's a lot of such geniuses at the club right now.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 3:47am
Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 2:16am I think expectations were unrealistic at round 11-12 and some fans didn't quite read the tea leaves. I had hope but I wasn't surprised our form dropped off with injuries to our captain and to Marshall and of course Gresham had also been carrying some niggles which just got worse

That's all very well...but what are your thoughts on Brad Crouch?
He's a handsome man...get him up here...I want to boof him!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:14pm
It is possible to both support someone/thing and also fiercely demand success.
Supporting a Footy club is different to supporting friends or family or a colleague. You can only 'demand' success if you can influence someone/thing and you have some sort of control. I try and support the club financially and buy memberships and attend games and buy merch and buy raffle tickets, but what real influence can I have as a nuff nuff average Joe member?

If your kids are under achieving and you know that they are worthy and they have the capability you support them with every thing you can both financially and with mentoring/tutors/big brother life coaches etc... You don't toss them out on the street. I'm channeling the jigging saint....... :idea: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I remember Cairnsman telling people in 2018, including myself that I shouldn't have expectations as a fan or demand anything of the club...well guess what?

I think the greatest impact we have as members is to vote with our $$$. 2019 saw a huge drop off in memberships for ST K FC (and that was pre Covid). We keep renewing when we are generally happy with the direction of the club. I understand the commercial pressures and I understand our window might be good if we can recruit some gun free agents in 2023 but I'm hoping we continue to focus on the long term (and provide opportunities for our youth and create a good culture and support the development of players) rather than trying to attain instant success

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Historically we are a tragic club

But we do desperately want to hang on to the past!

If we want to do something drastic there is an idea that was floated

If not

Stay the course and try to continue to build

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The list is short of talent that is all.

Why all the suicidal talk.

Life is not a rehearsal.

It's just a game, if it distresses you that much then it's time to find a new hobbie.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 7:18am The list is short of talent that is all.

Life is not a rehearsal.

It's just a game, if it distresses you that much then it's time to find a new hobbie.
Because it's been eleven years since we were last a contender.

Because it's very difficult to miss the eight after being 8-3.

Because Ratten was re-signed midseason for no good reason (see Richo).

Because Lethlean has been there for four years and we're still treading water.

Because players like King should be gerttng better, not worse.

Because Hannebury broke down again after one and half matches.

Because they;re talking up the possibility of recruiting DeGoey.

Because to get DeGoey they'll probably bhrow away outr first pick and give them Bytel and Connelly as steak knives.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 8:29am

Life is not a rehearsal.

Because to get DeGoey they'll probably bhrow away outr first pick and give them Bytel and Connelly as steak knives.
He's a free agent, we won't give anything

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 8:29am

Life is not a rehearsal.

You have been sucked in by the false narratives being belched out by the Bobbleheads.

Bytel and Connelly are busts so if we can use them to bring in DeGoey then that would be the steal of century but the Pies aren't that incompetent.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bytel is another disaster just waiting to happen….

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is no good

Hickey is no good

Josh Bruce isn’t liked

McCartin is finished and will never play footy again

I see where you’re going with the Connelly and Bytel comments

SaintDippa
Club Player

On the development of the kids, has anyone ever been to Sandy on a calm still day. Every visit (many) the winds been howling and the footy crap. Hardly an environment to develop and excel.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 9:01am On the development of the kids, has anyone ever been to Sandy on a calm still day. Every visit (many) the winds been howling and the footy crap. Hardly an environment to develop and excel.
Where are the indoor stadiums for the VFL?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 12:14am The thing that tells me we are is the amount of people in here now justifying this disaster of a second half of the season with “this list is no good/lacks skill”
This list lacks confidence in a coaching style/game plan - they do t believe
To accept being 8-3 and going from that to a bottom 4 side is mediocrity personified and some justify Rattens doing ok and it’s just the list
The mind boggles
Boggle away. You could give some of the players that fronted on Saturday a printed note with pictures that instructed them to go straight to the store down the road and buy milk and bread and they would get lost and when brought back by a neighbour have yogurt & potato chips and have lost the change. And they would have dropped the yogurt at least once.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I wanna know why we are promising at times and then become a mess.

I have already belched and fumed like a good supporter does

We know we are a welfare club and that comes with a price tag..St Kilda could be dead f the rationalists had their way.

It’s easy enough to see why we have a poor fixture and play Cairns etc.
And why we have to get Hanners and Hill on huge pay checks ( it is in fact paid by the AFL through gifts but we have to pay it back by being StKilda)

It’s harder to ask, ‘Would Ross Lyon really have done the dirty and skipped had we been a powerful club?”

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!