Are we so used to failure…

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we so used to failure…

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 9:05am
Teflon wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 12:14am The thing that tells me we are is the amount of people in here now justifying this disaster of a second half of the season with “this list is no good/lacks skill”
This list lacks confidence in a coaching style/game plan - they do t believe
To accept being 8-3 and going from that to a bottom 4 side is mediocrity personified and some justify Rattens doing ok and it’s just the list
The mind boggles
Boggle away. You could give some of the players that fronted on Saturday a printed note with pictures that instructed them to go straight to the store down the road and buy milk and bread and they would get lost and when brought back by a neighbour have yogurt & potato chips and have lost the change. And they would have dropped the yogurt at least once.
That's still the coaches fault

flack
Club Player

..... that we have to accept it. NO. Brett Ratten has had sufficient time to mould this group into a team but we are no further down the track than when he took over so essentially we have stalled for a decade. I've seen this group play, and play superbly so I know they can achieve wins, they just don't do it often enough. It's Ratts job to motivate them to get up for every game, not that they should need too much motivation. All the fans expect is 100% effort every time they cross the white line but we're not getting it. In his after match conference Ratts is still banging on about Hanners as though he will be the saviour after 21 rounds of indifferent playing. Let him sit out the next two matches (he's good at that) and play a youngster who actually tries to impress the coach. Hanners is not match fit and will struggle to stay on the field for a full game so lets be caution with him.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

There's nothing wrong in saying our 2nd quarter was good if we acknowledge our other 3 quarters as putrid.

There's something seriously wrong though when a coach pleads with the media to say "Well done boys". As we see with Collingwood and Freo, those accolades will come with honest performance, not pleading.

I will say we have stagnated this season but as opposed to other seasons of stagnation, this time we have treaded water whilst exposing 3 very good kids to AFL football. Rather than stagnating with the likes of Kent.

I like the OP and it's such a simple question that should be asked at the AGM, as well as by someone within the four walls every week - until they truly understand the supporters have had enough.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Anyone that has been a passionate supporter of St Kilda FC for as long as I have (over 60 years) is naturally "used to failure" and has had to become very thick skinned to contend with all the rubbishing from supporters of other teams.

As much as I get disgusted with the team's dreadful performances since the mid season bye, I can see some positives this year with the emergence of the new recruits and only rarely get worked up about individual players or coaches - there's no real point in that because whatever opinions I may have are not going to make one iota of difference.

But I do enjoy participating in the debate and banter on this forum, just feel sorry for those who take it all so terribly seriously - it's hardly life or death stuff!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Craw
Club Player

I get disappointed when the Saints don't disappoint. In that space Stkfc never fail to disappoint so I am not disappointed.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 11:32am There's nothing wrong in saying our 2nd quarter was good if we acknowledge our other 3 quarters as putrid.

There's something seriously wrong though when a coach pleads with the media to say "Well done boys". As we see with Collingwood and Freo, those accolades will come with honest performance, not pleading.

I will say we have stagnated this season but as opposed to other seasons of stagnation, this time we have treaded water whilst exposing 3 very good kids to AFL football. Rather than stagnating with the likes of Kent.

I like the OP and it's such a simple question that should be asked at the AGM, as well as by someone within the four walls every week - until they truly understand the supporters have had enough.
This is where the older supporter base, as in from the old Moorabbin supporter base, are not really the more valued section of the supporter base these days. Us old farts can say we've had enough until we stop breathing, which isn't that far away for many, but it's a futile exercise and just puts the pace maker under pressure more than anything else.

The supporter base who the club and wider AFL pander to are the ones who go to the footy for the light and sound show and as soon as the light and sound show is over they put their earpods back in and head straight to their favourite McDonald's restaurant. This fan base is probably more cranky that their data run out during the game rather than losing a game of footy.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I believe we have institutionalised mediocrity and that is reinforced by the current group of players, coaches and administration.

I think why so many here are attached to the GT-era was because it was the first time in our history that we matched a desire to win with a belief that we could author a new narrative for our club: winning was everything, mediocrity was for others.

It was addictive. It made you feel part of something worthwhile. The past decade has been an exercise in scooping the last mouldy pieces of an International Roast tin and handing it to guests saying: “Yes, but it’s still coffee.”

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 1:19pm I believe we have institutionalised mediocrity and that is reinforced by the current group of players, coaches and administration.

I think why so many here are attached to the GT-era was because it was the first time in our history that we matched a desire to win with a belief that we could author a new narrative for our club: winning was everything, mediocrity was for others.

It was addictive. It made you feel part of something worthwhile. The past decade has been an exercise in scooping the last mouldy pieces of an International Roast tin and handing it to guests saying: “Yes, but it’s still coffee.”
Interesting quote I have highlighted and I agree with you wholeheartedly.
There was genuine belief and expectation we would win a flag.

But doesn't that also reinforce the OP that we are so accustomed to failure we look back fondly on an era where we didn't play in a GF, let alone win one.

We are perennially irrelevant and merely making up the competition numbers, and I don't see it changing in a hurry.

We couldn't play in a GF when on the back of pre-season draft trading presssure, a raft of first round draft picks and concession picks GT had the best and most balanced list I have seen at the club in 04 & 05. We couldn't win it in '09 when we were the best H & A team or '10 when we hit the front with a couple of minutes to play.

Compared to that era of 04 - 11 we are a galaxy away from being finals competitive let alone winning a GF.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 12:14am The thing that tells me we are is the amount of people in here now justifying this disaster of a second half of the season with “this list is no good/lacks skill”
This list lacks confidence in a coaching style/game plan - they do t believe
To accept being 8-3 and going from that to a bottom 4 side is mediocrity personified and some justify Rattens doing ok and it’s just the list
The mind boggles
Yet this list was good enough to be 8-3. How come if they're so lacking?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 1:19pm I believe we have institutionalised mediocrity and that is reinforced by the current group of players, coaches and administration.

Some great posts in this thread. That’s up there

I thought International Roast was the worst instant I’d ever tasted in my life, up until I visited my aunt in Sydney many years ago and she served us Maxwell House

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I wonder what people were saying at season's end in 2012 and waiting for the 2013 season to begin.
I wasn't around then obviously.
Anyone remember?

It was the Watter's first year, where I think we finished a maybe-half-respectable mid-ladder.

I ask because i guess like Ratten now, fans would have been ready to wait-and-see with Watters at that point. Some would have been glad Llyon was gone, but quietly worried too.

Did they realize the cliff was upon us?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
nobhead
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 12:59pm
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 11:32am There's nothing wrong in saying our 2nd quarter was good if we acknowledge our other 3 quarters as putrid.

This is where the older supporter base, as in from the old Moorabbin supporter base, are not really the more valued section of the supporter base these days. Us old farts can say we've had enough until we stop breathing, which isn't that far away for many, but it's a futile exercise and just puts the pace maker under pressure more than anything else.

The supporter base who the club and wider AFL pander to are the ones who go to the footy for the light and sound show and as soon as the light and sound show is over they put their earpods back in and head straight to their favourite McDonald's restaurant. This fan base is probably more cranky that their data run out during the game rather than losing a game of footy.
Extremely funny but also sadly very true.
For the 1st time in my life supporting this club i can't even bring myself to watch stkilda playing on tv without getting extremly annoyed.let alone go to a game..been to 1 gane in 11years and that was against the bummers this year .
Can't see us ever having another chance like we did in 09/10.

Crossy66
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 3:20pm

I thought International Roast was the worst instant I’d ever tasted in my life, up until I visited my aunt in Sydney many years ago and she served us Maxwell House
"Pablo"anyone?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Still buying memberships but stopped attending games after Round 14. Not sure I'll go back for a very long time.
For the first time in my entire life I didn't watch us play Geelong, I watched the replay but that's the last game for 2022....there's no point anymore.

There is absolutely no point any more.

It is over for years and years to come...

Membership subscription ok.

Thousands of dollars on travel, airfares, food, accommodation, clothes, Sainters gear, full tables of meals at the club...gone until there's a point and that is honestly likely never again, until we move to Tasmania.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

After they produce the International Roast, they sweep the over run off the floor and put it into the Maxwell House jar!

I really savor my one and only coffee per day, so I invested in a WEGA and a Mazzer grinder for home.
Then comes the bean experimenting.
With milk and beans each coffee is about $0.80 per cup and I use a mug so no cup cost in there.

At $5.50 per coffee per day I have a $4.70 contribution to the machine.
At this rate the machine will break even calculated on my coffees alone, somewhere between 5-7 years after I'm dead.

The bonus is you get to a consistent level where you make it just right every day.
The down side is you become the family barista every morning :D

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 5:13pm

After they produce the International Roast, they sweep the over run off the floor and put it into the Maxwell House jar!

I really savor my one and only coffee per day, so I invested in a WEGA and a Mazzer grinder for home.
Then comes the bean experimenting.
With milk and beans each coffee is about $0.80 per cup and I use a mug so no cup cost in there.

At $5.50 per coffee per day I have a $4.70 contribution to the machine.
At this rate the machine will break even calculated on my coffees alone, somewhere between 5-7 years after I'm dead.

The bonus is you get to a consistent level where you make it just right every day.
The down side is you become the family barista every morning :D
Love the calculations. Ah yes International roast. Back in the day in the fire station many moons ago the old international roast… now every station has a coffee machine of different sorts and usually someone who knows how to use them. Aaah… I miss that cup of mud

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Apt.

The rules are simple: they lie to us, we know they’re lying, they know we know they’re lying but they keep lying anyway, and we keep pretending to believe them.

- - Elena Gorokhova, A Mountain of Crumbs: A Memoir

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Templar
Club Player

Big scoops in the thermos, definitely needed sugar. Perfect accompaniment to smoko.

Must be woke now as generally try to avoid.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Further

Those who remember history are condemned by those who repeat it.…

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 6:42pm Further

Those who remember history are condemned by those who repeat it.…
Yes, sort of like groundhog day?
But in the last year or so we haven't splurged on a dud so that's something.
Ratts credibility for me sort of depends on how he selects the team for the two dead rubbers and if he can get our percentage to stay about 100. Is he a man of his word .. "those that can't perform when it matters see you."
The bugger, I guess, about this 2022 rerun is we had a good first half then compounded rather than spreading the disappointment evenly with an occasional pleasant surprise.
Injuries to DMac and Hayes plus Paddy burning out were disastrous.