Genius new game plan rule set

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Genius new game plan rule set

Guaranteed to make us competitive for four quarters:

1. When we have the ball all players to run hard into space to give the playmaker options.

(as opposed to current practise of most players being stationary making the ball holder stop, prop, and then aimlessly kick to a pack hoping for the best)

2. When the opposition have the ball man or zone up to improve our chance of winning the ball back. Intercept and spread.

(As opposed to lowering head and catching up on a few breaths)

3. When it is in dispute attack the ball/man harder and more ferociously than the opposition using whatever level of intensity and fearlessness that requires.

4. When you have possession of the ball the first best option is the first best option. Do it.

(For some reason we often ignore the first best option (a player in space) and go for a lower percentage option causing turnovers)

5. When hand passing the ball hand pass with purpose and determination.

(as opposed to fumbly little hand balls that roll off the top knuckle dribbling the ball nowhere)

6. Do not hospital hand pass the ball. Look for the 2nd or 3rd player out over the top.

That is all.

Until these basics are addressed getting KPP degoeys, amons, tarantos will make jack shyte of a difference. Who are they going to kick it to? A pack?

So many times watching our games and observing the swarming movement of opposition players when they have the ball, their players running in every direction opening up options everywhere.

Then when we get the ball it is almost like a time out with most our players one on one standing still beside their opponent. And our fans wondering why the ball holder has stopped and propped.

As soon as the opposition intercepts the field becomes awash with movement again, their players relentlessly creating options.

Good opposition teams look like a school of sardines relentlessly darting and weaving as soon as they have the ball.

When we get the ball we look more like a can of sardines lined up next to the opposition.

It defines our current standard practise:

- Stationary football. Little movement. (apologies to Ben Long who appears to always find space. Not that anyone will kick it to him.)

- Fumbly hospital hand passes self imposing pressure. Good teams purposefully hand pass the ball out of traffic to the best option.

I dont think you need a Clarkson to address these things. But someone has to put their foot down. Aren't they obvious flaws in our every loss? Can't we all see it? Yet our coaching appears to be doing very little to address these BASICS.

Geelong is getting a run on, we are scoreless in the third, and what is our coach and has assistant doing, staring at the laptop. In the press conference our coach rolls out numbers, we had 26, they had 22, but in the third they had 16 and we only had 33% etc etc.

WTF!

Meanwhile our players are hospital hand passing time and over again.

Our players are marking the ball, and looking up to a static, stationary set of targets.

Fix this stuff first. Daily. Now. Forget the statistics. The wheels are falling off but we are checking the tacho and fuel mix.

These six genius game plan rules are not genius at all but the basics that one would expect to be drilled into any footy team.

These basics should be non negotiable. We've got it = run and make options. Don't hospital handpass. When ball is in dispute - be harder and bolder than the opposition whatever it takes.

Non negotiable meaning - if you arent prepared to do these things for four full quarters you are dropped regardless of pay grade/name/sensitivity/good bloke or anything else.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Genius new game plan rule set

Good post Templar
You run risk of being told it’s all lack of skilled players (some truth in that) but reality is it’s massively because this team isn’t coached or drilled well
That’s why so many times last night commentary noted cats look predictable in their method…..while we? Choose your adventure/hit n miss every tine we go forward
Have a look at our goals and movement last night and just highlight those that occurred seamlessly or that looked effortless ????
Not many - it’s scrappy , pressure win a free kick type ball
That IS NOT sustainable against great sides
You’ll get away with with lesser or weakened teams
That’s coaching
So is execution of skill under pressure consistently- heard Jobe Watson say this exact same thing ….cats simply have the ability to execute under pressure more than we can manage ….it’s not all cause their players are better…they’re very well drilled and each player knows where to run/be with and without the ball
Do we train that???
I’ve heard we do train the long kick in to top of square ….that’s how we play too….and that’s not playing to our strengths
Again as Watson lamented last night….”saints need to change angle on that last kick before 50 entry then kick the ball to space where King can lead up at it and jump instead of kicking on his head”

Time and again week in week out we do the same plsy cause that’s how they’re coached to play
Dumb

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

All good relevant points

The reason that we got back into he game in the 2nd quarter is because we decided to take the game on and run

Though time and time again we lose structure and it allows easy rebounding when we turn it over cause we are out of position ...... that's game planning

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do you hand pass with determination?

Templar
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 6:20pm How do you hand pass with determination?
The difference between fumbly, awkward handballs in the general direction of a team mate, typically at their feet, and into more traffic (watch replay of last night's game for countless examples)

and

solid, purposeful, determined, hand balls out of traffic to the teams advantage. (watch any Melbourne or Richmond game where instead of the above they handball with purpose, out of traffic, often out the top to a second or third team mate running past. Avoids putting team mates under the bus)

As the Titanic sinks let's do semantics.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

From BF good read interesting idea

We should seriously look at Rath. I have heard that three different players have expressed concerns with our game plan. One is one of our best players.
?"

To me you have David Noble who literally turned the Lions from one of the worst sides in footy, lost in the wilderness for years and made them a pro club. He's sitting there available and a club like us would never usually get access to such a highly rated operator. Chuck him in as director of footy ops.

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 6:43pm From BF good read interesting idea

We should seriously look at Rath. I have heard that three different players have expressed concerns with our game plan. One is one of our best players.
?"

To me you have David Noble who literally turned the Lions from one of the worst sides in footy, lost in the wilderness for years and made them a pro club. He's sitting there available and a club like us would never usually get access to such a highly rated operator. Chuck him in as director of footy ops.
Could do a lot worse

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 6:17pm Though time and time again we lose structure and it allows easy rebounding when we turn it over cause we are out of position ...... that's game planning
We MUST find a second key forward. It’s no coincidence that once Geelong’s half back line got on top last night the game was done.

It is a blindingly obvious structural weakness and it has to be addressed.

Membrey’s a good player, but he’s not a key forward. Marshall could do it, but we need him rucking.

Maybe next year it’s Hayes, who knows. At least he appears to be strong and smart enough to hold down the position structurally … maybe not brilliantly, but at least structurally.

We need someone with height and strength and some footy smarts. A key position player. Like Howard and Battle are in defence.

Who have we got that didn’t play last night? Leinert? Well at least he has height, don’t know good he is aerially. Campbell? Darragh Joyce? Not too many standout options really.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 07 Aug 2022 7:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ever played footy BM ?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes, played a little

Started at 12 in the u16

Retired at 45

So 33 years, so played a few games I suppose

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 7:56pm Yes, played a little

Started at 12 in the u16

Retired at 45

You cocky bastard ...but did you ever "handball with determination" 🤣🤣🤣

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I was asked a question and just answered it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 7:56pm Yes, played a little

Started at 12 in the u16

Retired at 45

Now I’m really puzzled you have an impressive involvement in the game yet struggle with the concept of hand balling with determination
How about tackling with determination?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 7:27pm
Ever played footy BM ?
Hilarious, and he fell for it 😂
Nice work Firey 🔥

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 7:22pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 6:17pm Though time and time again we lose structure and it allows easy rebounding when we turn it over cause we are out of position ...... that's game planning
We MUST find a second key forward. It’s no coincidence that once Geelong’s half back line got on top last night the game was done.

It is a blindingly obvious structural weakness and it has to be addressed.

Membrey’s a good player, but he’s not a key forward. Marshall could do it, but we need him rucking.

Maybe next year it’s Hayes, who knows. At least he appears to be strong and smart enough to hold down the position structurally … maybe not brilliantly, but at least structurally.

We need someone with height and strength and some footy smarts. A key position player. Like Howard and Battle are in defence.

Who have we got that didn’t play last night? Leinert? Well at least he has height, don’t know good he is aerially. Campbell? Darragh Joyce? Not too many standout options really.
How about Josh Bruce?
Oh no, we traded him for Zac Jones, didn’t we.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

You can handball with skill
Tackle with intent
Chase with determination

Can you kick with determination?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 9:54pm You can handball with skill
Tackle with intent
Chase with determination

Can you kick with determination?
So you were the ultimate thinking man’s footballer.

Was sunny in your team ?

Templar
Club Player

I forgot what forums were like. You can put together a 500 word post addressing various situations, concerns and ideas, and then some Poindexter will jump on one word and endlessly harp on about the semantics of one word in an attempt to, what, show some type of intellectual authority? Embarrasing.

Maybe ask choco or lethal for the correct etymological term for a strong and determined hand pass compared to the many dozens of fumbly hand passes in the second half last night and come back to us with their answer. Then we can debate their interpretation of the word while the teams that have their hand passing together play off in the finals.

Semantic trolling on a fricken fan forum. No wonder people go off to big footy or wherever.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Don’t let him get to you Templar. Everyone else understood your post

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You gotta get bang for buck for your inside 50 entries.

At half time we were equal with them but they were converting to scores and they had marks inside 50 where as we played our usual bomb it in and hope strategy

At the end of the game Saints had 15 scores from 45 entries (33% efficiency for i50’s) and…

Geelong had 25 scoring shots from 50 entries. That’s an efficiency rate of 50%.

I think only Collingwood were better on Friday night.

Brian Taylor summed it up best when he described their ball movement

“They probed ….they prodded….they teased ….and they got the result”

No good getting an entry if you can’t get a climax!! :wink:

The secret to a good result is to make sure your balls are constantly moving. 8-)

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

?"

But is the gameplan on Rath? At Hawthorn his role was to develop the mechanics, skills to enable the execution of Clarkson's gameplan. Doesn't he have the same role at St Kilda? Is the gameplan Ratten's and/or others?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:28pm

?"

But is the gameplan on Rath? At Hawthorn his role was to develop the mechanics, skills to enable the execution of Clarkson's gameplan. Doesn't he have the same role at St Kilda? Is the gameplan Ratten's and/or others?
I think Tony74 has also alluded that Rath has too much say at saints
Don’t think he has that at Hawks
My bet he’s got Ratten spellbound and Brett doesn’t own it
If the above post from BF is true the players are not a fan

“Yeah….nah””
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:38pm

?"

Grant Thomas suggested that a few weeks ago as well and I note he sits next to Ratts in the Box. Anyway, if there are defects in a gameplan, it cannot be fixed in season, that's done in preseason. They will need to fix it and improve the midfield, if not I don't think Ratten or the Board will last beyond next year, regardless of contracts.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What’s Lethlean’s nickname again?

Hopefully he puts this personality trait to use in a few weeks and does what needs to be done.

🔪 🩸

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:54pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:38pm

?"

Grant Thomas suggested that a few weeks ago as well and I note he sits next to Ratts in the Box. Anyway, if there are defects in a gameplan, it cannot be fixed in season, that's done in preseason. They will need to fix it and improve the midfield, if not I don't think Ratten or the Board will last beyond next year, regardless of contracts.
Agree
They won’t move Ratten on now
But if we are in this situation mid 23 he’s gone imo
IF Brett’s smart he cleans out coaching panel
Brings in a guru ex senior afl cos h to be head of footy ops who can help him rebuild a workable game plan and sell it to the team
I’d drop the ego and realise what I’ve been doing isn’t working
If he wants to continue as a senior coa h time to be smart

“Yeah….nah””