Can this be done?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Can this be done?

Can there be a motion of no confidence be moved at the AGM?

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can this be done?

Not sure but gee this lot would be nervous
2 more years of this mediocrity can’t be met stand

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

hasn't the team already adopted the motion, so possibly no need to formalise it.
As a supporter I am full of no confidence.
I think you just want to institutionalise an existing consensus.

happy feet
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 12:26pm Can there be a motion of no confidence be moved at the AGM?
A motion of no confidence in who? The Board? The Coach? The Players? The Administration? Or the whole flipping lot?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Laurie
Club Player

We have an incoming CEO who has had input on some of the worst highest paid recruits we have had a the club.
He has not been held accountable for this and should not be at the club .
We are not a destination club why would a DeGoey or others even consider St.Kilda .
We are a rabble at present.

BOOM BOOM

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 3:55pm We have an incoming CEO who has had input on some of the worst highest paid recruits we have had a the club.
He has not been held accountable for this and should not be at the club .
We are not a destination club why would a DeGoey or others even consider St.Kilda .
We are a rabble at present.

BOOM BOOM
I reckon degoey would love to come to us .
He's a over paid half arsed conceited egotist .
Playing for us , he'll be able to do whatever the hell he wants , if anyone cracks the whip then it's cuddle time at the danny frawley centre, and we'll all sit around and sing kumbaya .

In red white and black from 73
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I wonder how followers of last year's finalists Essendon and the Western Bulldogs are feeling today.

They'd be pretty peeved after rolling up to Bunnings this morning only to find out Saints supporters had bought all the pitch forks and torches!

:D

Saint supporter since '62
BadRossco
Club Player

Hey Trev how did we go against Essendon and the Dogs or do you think we will go against them in 2023. I’d suggest the pitchforks and torches are rightfully ours.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 5:29pm Hey Trev how did we go against Essendon and the Dogs or do you think we will go against them in 2023. I’d suggest the pitchforks and torches are rightfully ours.
Lol I think Trevs a mungbean smoking blue sky brigadier …

“Yeah….nah””
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I can only hope that the board does not intend to take drastic action, nor that GT or anyone else will attempt to mount some sort of a coup at the club.

I'd support change on the basis of any sort of half-decent suggestions as to how to improve things. But these certainly can't be found on fan forums: all I read on here and BF is "sack the board/coach/most players on the list/the guy who orders the pizzas for the dressing room after the game/etc.

The strategy of tearing everything down and rebuilding worked a dream for us in the 1999-2003 period: as much by accident as design (eg, nobody in the AFL world expected Timmy Watson to be as poor a coach as he turned out to be). But the sort of riches we were able to get from the draft and by trading players in are no longer available in the quantity that they were back then.

So that route simply isn't going to work any more, or at best take another decade or more: as Carlton has found (and, despite all the excitement in the media about them, they haven't clearly made it yet and might still even miss the finals this year).

The people in charge of the club at the moment are taking us forward along the only path available to us: slow and steady improvement We have a far poorer playing list than most fans seem to appreciate. Try comparing it to the lists of Richmond, Carlton and the Bulldogs: all teams which are in the same part of the table as us. We have perhaps two AA contenders in Sinclair and Steele, and it's possible that neither of them will make the final list. Our midfield is desperately under-powered. Despite all the crap I read on here about Ratten's terrible game plan, the truth is that the game plan that Richo and he devised - which involves papering over the cracks in the middle by trying to move the ball forward quickly out of defence - has enabled us to achieve more in the past few years than might have been expected. It hasn't worked very well in the second half of this season against the best teams, so it's going to need a reboot over the summer. But many fans are deluded in thinking that Ratten could implement the sort of game plan used by the leading clubs in terms of bringing the ball forward when we don't have the quality midfield players that they possess.

We're not far away: 2-3 good recruits and the continued improvement of the likes of Owen, Windhager and perhaps NWM and Sharman would get us into the 8 next year.

So I suggest to all loyal Sainters fans that we must keep the faith.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
older saint
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote: Wed 10 Aug 2022 10:16am I can only hope that the board does not intend to take drastic action, nor that GT or anyone else will attempt to mount some sort of a coup at the club.

I'd support change on the basis of any sort of half-decent suggestions as to how to improve things. But these certainly can't be found on fan forums: all I read on here and BF is "sack the board/coach/most players on the list/the guy who orders the pizzas for the dressing room after the game/etc.

The strategy of tearing everything down and rebuilding worked a dream for us in the 1999-2003 period: as much by accident as design (eg, nobody in the AFL world expected Timmy Watson to be as poor a coach as he turned out to be). But the sort of riches we were able to get from the draft and by trading players in are no longer available in the quantity that they were back then.

So that route simply isn't going to work any more, or at best take another decade or more: as Carlton has found (and, despite all the excitement in the media about them, they haven't clearly made it yet and might still even miss the finals this year).

The people in charge of the club at the moment are taking us forward along the only path available to us: slow and steady improvement We have a far poorer playing list than most fans seem to appreciate. Try comparing it to the lists of Richmond, Carlton and the Bulldogs: all teams which are in the same part of the table as us. We have perhaps two AA contenders in Sinclair and Steele, and it's possible that neither of them will make the final list. Our midfield is desperately under-powered. Despite all the crap I read on here about Ratten's terrible game plan, the truth is that the game plan that Richo and he devised - which involves papering over the cracks in the middle by trying to move the ball forward quickly out of defence - has enabled us to achieve more in the past few years than might have been expected. It hasn't worked very well in the second half of this season against the best teams, so it's going to need a reboot over the summer. But many fans are deluded in thinking that Ratten could implement the sort of game plan used by the leading clubs in terms of bringing the ball forward when we don't have the quality midfield players that they possess.

We're not far away: 2-3 good recruits and the continued improvement of the likes of Owen, Windhager and perhaps NWM and Sharman would get us into the 8 next year.

So I suggest to all loyal Sainters fans that we must keep the faith.
Well said

The board is responsible for the club as a business and from where i sit the debt has reduced significantly . This is critical to reduce the reliance on the AFL handouts, as it means they are no longer our pimp and we don't have to sell games to North Qld or China or NZ or wherever else they want to send us. Stability is important and unless there is internal unrest , like Collingwood last year, which isn't the case why would you over throw them

Many on here love GT and he will always jump up in the media or on a podcast to provide his 2c worth and self promote.
Reality is we have no idea what is discussed at board level and what is never enacted - nor should we- so as a club siting 9th with a list which is honestly between 7 - 11 in the AFL it just makes no sense IMO.
That said at least we are all allowed opinions which can be different here still

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

If looks like it is an AFL franchise in the worst sense.

People and departments are in place.

They are competent to do their tasks.

But the whole is not singing in tune.

The re-signings of Ratts and others, just going through the motions, for one department.

then delaying the announcements to suit the weekly win-loss ledger, the marketing and media departments choice.

One thing about GT, regardless of his babble about Training Services etc., he was more autocratic. A bit scary, embarrassing maybe, but not invisible, which is what the current lot are, in total.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Aug 2022 1:52pm One thing about GT, regardless of his babble about Training Services etc., he was more autocratic. A bit scary, embarrassing maybe, but not invisible, which is what the current lot are, in total.
GT was tremendous in his day. As anyone who has been on this forum for long enough (especially old mate Teffers) will know, I was adamantly of the view that it was a terrible mistake to sack him in 2006. And I continue to hold that view: albeit that, because Lyon turned out to be an excellent coach (and there was no guarantee of that whatsoever), the 2007-10 period almost brought us the holy grail. But the demise of GT IMO brought an unnecessary end to the excellent plan devised by Butterss, GT and Waldron of trying to build our club up into one of the powerhouses of the competition. Instead, we got to see Geelong go along exactly the path that GT had wanted to go, while a bunch of numpties in Fraser, Nettlefold, Pelchen and co steadily drove us down the drain.

But those days are long gone. There would be no value to the club in a return of GT now. Like many who post on fan forums, GT is seized by a mania for burning everything to the ground and starting again. That's not going to work in the way it did in the early 2000s. So I'd rather see the current leadership at the club given more time. To me, the solution to our problem is relatively simple to diagnose (but perhaps not so easy to remedy). We need a few more A-grade players. Two might even be enough.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Its been a really disappointing 2nd half of the year - but maybe it takes a reset ala Richmond pre flags to launch things next year.

Give Ratten the off season to clean out his staff and bring in some new ideas. Then with some wise trading & recruiting things can change quickly.

Stay the course Sainters!