Roo on McEvoy - Whack!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Roo on McEvoy - Whack!

Anyone catch roo on the fox footy show talking about McEvoy's 250th and that he was traded by StKilda?

Said what many many of us have been saying for years non here that Phelchan and his cronies wanted to use the club as an experiment also to show how smart they were and in his words " you need to then get the right players " which clearly they didn't .
He is solely responsible for the pain of 2012-2020 IMO and clearly one Nick Riewoldt.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Roo on McEvoy - Whack!

I love how Roo is so honest

Is Pelchen even involved with a club now

Would be interesting to revisit those 2013 posts

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’d rather Roo come out and whack the current mob
Rear view mirror looking is fun
But right now we are a Shyte show and Roo ought to speak his mind
He has views ….he nicely suggested we talk to Clarkson
Club ignored …

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jettisoned Ben, Rhys, Dal and BJ and recruited the likes of Kent.

Let that sink in!

Also, that idiot Waters also retired Milney. He could have easily played an other year or two.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

All true and oh so sad.

older saint
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:18am I’d rather Roo come out and whack the current mob
Club ignored …
in fairness much rather be where we are than North or Adelaide or even where we were in 2012, 2013,2014....
At least we have a base of younger players who may develop into a core group.

That said there is no confusion for your distain for the current administration.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If Roo is a person who is happy to share his opinion and we know he is not shy about voicing his opinion, it’d be interesting to get the view of players at the club in 2011-2013 and get their recollection of what Roo thought about McEvoy being traded at that time.

Specifically how did Roo rate McEvoy while Ben was at St Kilda?

We seem to give up too quickly with our young developing ruckmen…and perhaps we lose patience too quickly with all our young players

We lost Stanley and McEvoy and gained Longer and Hickey. Hickey was and is a good player but he was driven out because of poor judgement from our football department. I remember Cho and other assistant coaches (and maybe some of the senior players) using Tom Hickey as the number 1 scapegoat for any bad losses. Just when he started showing some promise

What was Rooys opinion Hickey? What about Rhys Stanley? Did Roo rate Rhys as a ruckman or rate Stanley as a good player.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:43am If Roo is a person who is happy to share his opinion and we know he is not shy about voicing his opinion, it’d be interesting to get the view of players at the club in 2011-2013 and get their recollection of what Roo thought about McEvoy being traded at that time.

Roo said he was bewildered at the McEvoy trade but did also say that at that stage of his career Ben did not have the Eye of the Tiger syndrome but that was developed at Hawthorn.

Sound familiar?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:33am
Teflon wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:18am I’d rather Roo come out and whack the current mob
Club ignored …
in fairness much rather be where we are than North or Adelaide or even where we were in 2012, 2013,2014....
At least we have a base of younger players who may develop into a core group.

That said there is no confusion for your distain for the current administration.
Crows have better younger players than the Saints, sadly. Their prospects are better IMO.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:47am
Scollop wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:43am If Roo is a person who is happy to share his opinion and we know he is not shy about voicing his opinion, it’d be interesting to get the view of players at the club in 2011-2013 and get their recollection of what Roo thought about McEvoy being traded at that time.

Roo said he was bewildered at the McEvoy trade but did also say that at that stage of his career Ben did not have the Eye of the Tiger syndrome but that was developed at Hawthorn.

Sound familiar?
I heard what he said. I watched that top rating entertainment show on Kayo

What I’d like to hear is what did he do as captain and what was his opinion at that time…not 10 years afterwards
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:59am, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Club Player

I can clearly remember at the time being disappointed but not entirely surprised at McEvoy being traded.
He was particularly weak at ruck contests. Was good around the ground and overhead.

To his credit he worked at his game and improved considerably and it is to St Kilda’s shame that they were not prepared to put the work into him and be patient.

Much too trigger happy at the time.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Way to go. Enrich a former employer at the expense of your then current one.

Stanley was the only saint player to get a negative comment in Roo's Book, Roo thought he was wasting his enormous talent

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The first day Ben ran out for Hawthorn we saw one thing - he was not fit for even one second at St Kilda. He suddenly lost 10kg and "Hey Presto" he became a dual premiership player. That's mainly on the club and partially on the player.

Rhys Stanley shows Geelong's only weakness. It was the reason we beat them in Round 9 when both Paddy and RoMa played, Paddy kicking three goals.

We lost the 2010 GF because Michael Gardiner did his hammy in the first quarter. Ben was unable to step up in the replay and was slaughtered by Darren Jolly, who at the peak of his form and fitness.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

They doubled our score…Apart from Hayes, Goddard, Dal Santo and maybe Chips, most of our players were slaughtered in the GF replay…not just McEvoy.

The guy is a ruckman. Big blokes take longer and we were impatient. I agree with your assessment about the club and our weakness when it came to pushing players and demanding more of them with regard to fitness. We were soft on our players

Prime example is how it took us 5 years to try and push Paddy McCartin to get fit and by that stage, he had developed bad habits (in my opinion) which possibly could have contributed to some of the head knocks. He never achieved AFL standard fitness when he was at St Kilda and I don’t think Richo should have played him until he realised what was required

Kayo had 1-1 interview with Paddy Mccartin conducted by Garry Lyon and one of the things I got from it was how structured and how effective the Swans were in getting Paddy prepared again for senior footy. Paddy talks about the early conversations when the Swans told him he would ONLY be trying out as defender with their VFL team.

Once they decided how Paddy could benefit their seniors, he was asked to come up to Sydney and told him he was playing as a defender with their development squad. They put him on a program and set specific targets that he had to achieve step by step in order to progress to an opportunity to become a rookie in early 2022. Well worth a watch