A move a year in the making

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

A move a year in the making

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: A move a year in the making

Ratts needs most of the credit. Sharman was struggling to get a game in the forward line and looked all at see in the forward line. Great to see we have a coach who is not afraid to experiment.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Stop talking through your backside. Do you actually watch football games?

Very convenient to ignore what Cooper does well and forget his games from last year where he showed his ability as a forward.

Sharman is a pup. They take time to settle into the adult world of professional sport

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan took close to two years before he stopped looking all at sea and he was a number 1 pick!!

Not sure you will watch the football tomorrow and the game between Freo and the Bulldogs but next you’ll be telling us Sam Darcy won’t make it as a footballer after we watch his debut.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 05 Aug 2022 3:18pm Stop talking through your backside. Do you actually watch football games?

Very convenient to ignore what Cooper does well and forget his games from last year where he showed his ability as a forward.

Sharman is a pup. They take time to settle into the adult world of professional sport

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan took close to two years before he stopped looking all at sea and he was a number 1 pick!!

Not sure you will watch the football tomorrow and the game between Freo and the Bulldogs but next you’ll be telling us Sam Darcy won’t make it as a footballer after we watch his debut.
Ahhh ok I see the logic.

So we should see Max in the Backline soon just becaue he's performing smashingly well there. Jamara should be moving into the backline soon too huh as he's really going well now in the forward line.

Yeah makes sense.

Probably see Jack Higgins taking over Syncs role down back soon too then? Could we see Hill move into Max's spot soon.

All jokes aside though Sharman could be one of Ratts latest projects to create a swing man because of Ratts penchant for the versatile type.

As I say fantastic to have a coach who doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Now go have a beer Scollo.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I still think our forward half would function better with Sharman in it. It would help Max King, that's for sure.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Twist things round as much as you want. You had Sharman papers’ stamped as a footballer didn't you Vortex?

Ratts saw talent. Ratts saw natural football ability.

We are 1 key position player short in our backline and Wilkie and Battle needed help when Dougall went down

With Lewis, Koschitzke, Gunston and McEvoy we needed all the talls we could muster last week. We obviously recruited Lienert for his ability to play on a tall and Sharman was also going to be an option if the coach felt the backline needed support. Ratts gave both opportunities to show what they could offer to the team and Ratts prefers Sharman rather than Lienert

Sometimes there are longer term goals and there are short term goals. We’ll see where Cooper ends up in a couple of years time.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 05 Aug 2022 3:51pm Twist things round as much as you want. You had Sharman papers’ stamped as a footballer didn't you Vortex?

Ratts saw talent. Ratts saw natural football ability.

We are 1 key position player short in our backline and Wilkie and Battle needed help when Dougall went down

With Lewis, Koschitzke, Gunston and McEvoy we needed all the talls we could muster last week. We obviously recruited Lienert for his ability to play on a tall and Sharman was also going to be an option if the coach felt the backline needed support. Ratts gave both opportunities to show what they could offer to the team and Ratts prefers Sharman rather Lienert

Sometimes there are longer term goals and there are short term goals. We’ll see where Cooper ends up in a couple of years time.
You have misunderstood me, I still think he's a fair bit off the pace and the Coach thinks so too hence why he's now an experimental project in the backline.

Now Scollo I've explained this to you before, think, then type, I won't give up on you brother. Keep practising and maybe turn up the sound every now and then.

longtimesaint
Club Player

I am very happy to see him develop another string to his bow in defence.
However, I think he will be a forward in the longer term, mainly due to the fact that he is the best set shot at goal on our list and by quite a margin.
I was at training a few weeks back, and while King and Higgins were missing half of their shots, Sharman was kicking then from every angle.
I counted eleven straight , some from 50 and also from both flanks and pockets.

One year will be our year
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

longtimesaint wrote: Fri 05 Aug 2022 5:34pm I am very happy to see him develop another string to his bow in defence.
However, I think he will be a forward in the longer term, mainly due to the fact that he is the best set shot at goal on our list and by quite a margin.
I was at training a few weeks back, and while King and Higgins were missing half of their shots, Sharman was kicking then from every angle.
Knoiwing the Saints, someone probably decided he was making the others feel bad and had to be moved immediately.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure where he fits in down back now

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Fri 05 Aug 2022 5:34pm I am very happy to see him develop another string to his bow in defence.
I tend to agree with LTS here,

I think Sharman had a couple of invisible games in the forward line this year, but it isn’t a happy place (the Saints F50 this year) for whatever reasons. Hard to judge.

Interesting to see him at half-back. Highmore too, after an encouraging start last year, thrown to the wolves this year and looked exposed ..Terri le. So no Highmore and Sharman in defense. V interesting.

Now maybe Sharman offers more than Josh Battle? Based on the leap? Maybe he could be a CHB?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Would like to see him forward

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Good discussion.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Maybe throw Highmore down forward and see how he goes there ..... have 2 versatile swing men.... along with Battle

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think the whole notion of a swingman is ridiculous

Can’t really think of such a player?

I’ve known player who have switched from one end to the other with a bit of success but players who regularly swap ends of the ground successfully is a misnomer

Battle was really poor when unsettled

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Highmore has been shafted - much better defender than Sharman

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The idea of a swingman is a player that can play proficiently both forward and back when required ..... and is usually used as a desperate measure to try something different to turn a game ..... and usually not a regular occurrence

Didn't Carlisle kick 7 once playing full forward?

Pretty sure nearly every club have players they can call upon to play different positions to a proficient standard when required ...... pretty silly if they didn't

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Very few tall swing men in the game. I believe players have their best position and they should be played there.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Correct

If it’s not working maybe try a change, but generally play players where there strengths lie!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The word itself is a misnomer. Sharman has found a position because he was better in that position than his oroginal. Like Sicily and like Bruce.

Ashley McIntosh was the original swingman.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The fullback named in The AFL Team of the century notched up 200 goals in his career. SOS was an excellent swingman

I remember Alastair Lynch was used as a fullback at Fitzroy and he secured a huge long term contract to go the Brisbane Bears as their full back. Lynchy of course is best known as a forward in the Lions premierships years. He only went to Full Forward because Roger Merrett was retiring and they were struggling for a good key position forward.

I think Fraser Gherig come to us and played at fullback before he was swung forward

Tom McDonald is someone that switched from the backline to the forward line and his coach still uses him as a key position backman when either Lever or May are missing

https://www.zerohanger.com/zero-hangers ... ars-32777/
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 06 Aug 2022 6:13am, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig's early games for West Coast (1995) were spent mostly down back before switching forward
Last edited by Devilhead on Sat 06 Aug 2022 8:12am, edited 1 time in total.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I thought Gehrig played mainly on the wing at the Eagles.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 05 Aug 2022 9:28pm The word itself is a misnomer. Sharman has found a position because he was better in that position than his oroginal. Like Sicily and like Bruce.

Ashley McIntosh was the original swingman.
Darryl Sutton from Norf way before him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Gehrig was a swinger at West Coast ....he couldn't get into the forward line in '97 so he was a utility, playing on the wing and at times in a forward pocket if he was zoned there...but when he came to St Kilda we slotted him into the forward line and stopped all the swinging and the 🚆 left the goddarn station.