And so it begins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: And so it begins

B.M wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 6:34am Still haven’t answered Teflon

Looking at the list and the draw we had

How many wins do you reckon we were/are capable of?

Because you seem hysterical and have hit the panic button. Are we a top 4 capable side (like the dogs) and are missing the 8?

FFS
We just got smacked by Geelong in Geelong - they are top of the ladder - they are at home - they are in good form.
You keep banging on about the Geelong game like it’s the only thing that’s concerning people.? A couple of things you’re conveniently overlooking.

Firstly, we beat the cats about 10 weeks ago. It’s not like they’re invincible. Secondly, for me at least, it’s not just the win/loss ratio but the manner of the losses. We are uncompetitive against EVERY top 8 team since the bye, save the Blues. Every team has smashed us. The excuses some have come up with are laughable. Like Gresh got injured. Gresh was putrid after the Bye! Howard got injured. He missed 4 weeks and we were terrible before and after his injury. Ryder got injured. The fearsome ruck duo had been impotent after the bye. Ryder looks cooked.

The coaching staff have been clueless. I don’t care that we don’t win every week. I go hoping we might win. Right now, I’ve lost hope. In fact I won’t watch live what we’re serving up. I’ll watch on tv so I can walk away.

The coaching staff should be able to generate something from this group! We beat Freo, Tiges, cats in the first half of the year. We literally look like a bottom 4 team right now.

I cannot see any improvement from when Ratten took over. We had one half decent year during Covid ( which I’m now putting down to a fluke). But with all these heralded recruits we actually don’t look much different to 2018/2019 just an older team.

This decision to re sign Ratten is right up there with the move to Seaford

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Because you seem hysterical and have hit the panic button. Are we a top 4 capable side (like the dogs) and are missing the 8?

FFS
We just got smacked by Geelong in Geelong - they are top of the ladder - they are at home - they are in good form.
Lol still haven’t answered you captain Mart?
Perhaps if you asked intelligent questions you might get a reasonable reply (not that anyone owes you a response - you haven’t generated an original thought in years on this….just more inane, after the fact cliched nonsense).

The club say the window is open - you didn’t answer me Marty do you think the club have completely misread the situation and have got it wrong????
We’ve been recruiting and topping up with this list for finals….is the club wrong???

For mine, this list is good enough to be 7-8abd play finals , certainly from 8-3
We’ve beaten 4 of the top 8 and last dude to beat Cats???
But nah….list is now terrible :D

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 9:49pm This is going to confuse the fukc out of Teffers. He's going to get his hate and logic so mixed up he won't know if he wants Rath sacked or if GT should be our next coach.
On the contrary Cairnsman I’ve never been more certain
GT the agitator - tick
GT back in any capacity - no
Rath gone - tick
Sharman delisted as no good - tick

It’s very easy really

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 12:04am

FFS
You keep banging on about the Geelong game like it’s the only thing that’s concerning people.? A couple of things you’re conveniently overlooking.

Firstly, we beat the cats about 10 weeks ago. It’s not like they’re invincible. Secondly, for me at least, it’s not just the win/loss ratio but the manner of the losses. We are uncompetitive against EVERY top 8 team since the bye, save the Blues. Every team has smashed us. The excuses some have come up with are laughable. Like Gresh got injured. Gresh was putrid after the Bye! Howard got injured. He missed 4 weeks and we were terrible before and after his injury. Ryder got injured. The fearsome ruck duo had been impotent after the bye. Ryder looks cooked.

The coaching staff have been clueless. I don’t care that we don’t win every week. I go hoping we might win. Right now, I’ve lost hope. In fact I won’t watch live what we’re serving up. I’ll watch on tv so I can walk away.

The coaching staff should be able to generate something from this group! We beat Freo, Tiges, cats in the first half of the year. We literally look like a bottom 4 team right now.

I cannot see any improvement from when Ratten took over. We had one half decent year during Covid ( which I’m now putting down to a fluke). But with all these heralded recruits we actually don’t look much different to 2018/2019 just an older team.

Beautifully put. :o

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

FFS

Spot on.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 7:51pm

FFS

Spot on.
I love a good "bang on", but I'm curious which bit is bang on?

I know I can rule out the logic claimed that because we beat the Cats 10 weeks ago we should of been a chance to win again. That logic is the laziest arm chair dribble you are likely to hear and you should ban that poster for breahcing the urban dribble dictionary.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

FFS

Bang on

“Yeah….nah””
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 8:31pm

FFS

Spot on.

I know I can rule out the logic claimed that because we beat the Cats 10 weeks ago we should of been a chance to win again. That logic is the laziest arm chair dribble you are likely to hear and you should ban that poster for breahcing the urban dribble dictionary.
Signing Ratten half way through the season.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 10:17pm

Signing Ratten half way through the season.
And so hypothetically you've made him wait till the end of the season so you can sack him, what is your vision after you've booted him?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

FFS

Spot on.

The point is Vortex, is how far have we fallen? Now we all agree we’re no hope of beating them or even being competitive against them. Against any top 8 team. How can that be? How can you be so accepting of that?

And in answer to your question to Teflon. Right now we are going backwards at a million miles an hour. There was not one good reason to rush to sign Ratten mid year. I would have been rapt if we’d pinched a couple of wins against top 8 teams and been competitive against the others. I’m not necessarily looking or expecting a flag. But I can’t accept this drivel we’re serving up and he deserves to not have his contract renewed. Are you seriously saying that re signing him was a positive move by the club??

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 11:25pm

FFS

Spot on.

The point is Vortex, is how far have we fallen? Now we all agree we’re no hope of beating them or even being competitive against them. Against any top 8 team. How can that be? How can you be so accepting of that?

And in answer to your question to Teflon. Right now we are going backwards at a million miles an hour. There was not one good reason to rush to sign Ratten mid year. I would have been rapt if we’d pinched a couple of wins against top 8 teams and been competitive against the others. I’m not necessarily looking or expecting a flag. But I can’t accept this drivel we’re serving up and he deserves to not have his contract renewed. Are you seriously saying that re signing him was a positive move by the club??
Have a look at the players missing from first Csts game, multiple goal kickers kicking multiple goals and stats between 20 and 30. Then take into account we got the Cats when they were off their tucker for about 15 minutes in the 3rd quarter and we were able to kick a score we could defend Iin the 4th On the weekend we got the Cats 3 weeks out from finals. They weren't about to lose to a team so depleted of talent and experience. So it's just child's logic to suggest because we beat them 10 weeks ago we should beat them again. Totally different teams at totally different stages in the premiership window.

We had a good first half aided by a favourable draw and relative good luck with injuries as well as several senior players in or around career best form as well as some very unexpected contributions from the debutants.

Our list is such that it needs everything going for it to be able to execute on game day and we lost that quickly around the mid season. Injuries as well as the debutants fading.

So tell me, you are blowing on the same whistle as the bobblehead dancers, what is your vision after you sack Ratts at the end of the season.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You keep banging on about the Geelong game like it’s the only thing that’s concerning people.?

Adding to what you said, it is not just our losses that were concerning, it was that our wins were often based on just one quarter. Indeed mots games we struggled to play more than one good quarter.

And with those wins in the first part of the season it was crucially Max King getting off the chain for a quarter of brilliance. The other coaches took note, and understood that Max King if not suitably guarded can swing a game in a quarter. So after that Max was under a lot more pressure defensively, and multiple opponents as a given. By letting Ling play stagnant and kicking it above his head , we just played into the hands of opposition. Rare was the game where coaching wise we did anything about it. ie In the Blues match King was a decoy forward and we exploited our other forwards.

So Max King was less effective. One quarter games remained the norm, and then in the second half of the year our opposition on the whole were much harder games. That meant less losses.

No team plays well 100% of the time, but at St Kilda at present our best is in the minority. And when we are bad, we are really bad.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 11:45pm

FFS

Spot on.

Have a look at the players missing from first Csts game, multiple goal kickers kicking multiple goals and stats between 20 and 30. Then take into account we got the Cats when they were off their tucker for about 15 minutes in the 3rd quarter and we were able to kick a score we could defend Iin the 4th On the weekend we got the Cats 3 weeks out from finals. They weren't about to lose to a team so depleted of talent and experience. So it's just child's logic to suggest because we beat them 10 weeks ago we should beat them again. Totally different teams at totally different stages in the premiership window.

We had a good first half aided by a favourable draw and relative good luck with injuries as well as several senior players in or around career best form as well as some very unexpected contributions from the debutants.

Our list is such that it needs everything going for it to be able to execute on game day and we lost that quickly around the mid season. Injuries as well as the debutants fading.

So tell me, you are blowing on the same whistle as the bobblehead dancers, what is your vision after you sack Ratts at the end of the season.
Yes yes yes we get it
Lucky draw
No injuries
Some players playing out if their skin …
Problem with that theory is the team still couldn’t play 4 good quarters of footy ….still had games where teams just went on goal rubs against us….
That’s coaching
I get it….you want to be different, rebel without a clue by not admitting Brett’s a spud
That’s ok - good for you ..
But I think the majority acknowledged that’s BS

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 11:56pm

You keep banging on about the Geelong game like it’s the only thing that’s concerning people.?

Adding to what you said, it is not just our losses that were concerning, it was that our wins were often based on just one quarter. Indeed mots games we struggled to play more than one good quarter.

And with those wins in the first part of the season it was crucially Max King getting off the chain for a quarter of brilliance. The other coaches took note, and understood that Max King if not suitably guarded can swing a game in a quarter. So after that Max was under a lot more pressure defensively, and multiple opponents as a given. By letting Ling play stagnant and kicking it above his head , we just played into the hands of opposition. Rare was the game where coaching wise we did anything about it. ie In the Blues match King was a decoy forward and we exploited our other forwards.

So Max King was less effective. One quarter games remained the norm, and then in the second half of the year our opposition on the whole were much harder games. That meant less losses.

No team plays well 100% of the time, but at St Kilda at present our best is in the minority. And when we are bad, we are really bad.
Bang on
The coach brings the team to play for 4 quarters
Prime job
Brett’s failing

“Yeah….nah””
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Bottom line is, us powerless supporters can see where this is going. Just as we saw the future when Richo was re-signed.

Two more years of stagnation.

A desperate bid to bring in some class by recruiting DeGoey and/or Karl Amon.

Sychronised breathing, on-field mediattion, the cuddle room and the Male Depression round.

The occasional win against a big-team opponent celebrated like Brighton beating Manchester United.

Ratten sacked mid-2024.

Absolutely delighted if I'm wrong.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

:D
Vortex wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 11:45pm

FFS

Spot on.

We got the Cats when they were off their tucker 😂😂😂
Yeah. That’s it. There’s always some bulls*** excuse. Problem is, most of the players you refer to or alluded to who played that game have played 2nd half of the season and have been rubbish.

You know exactly what I’d do. Sack Ratten because he’s clueless and find a decent replacement, you know, like the pies did last year.

Now, what’s YOUR plan? Meander on with this useless group who are taking us on the road to no where?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

What do you now think of the Round One loss to Collingwood now?

That is one way to assess how the coaching staff see the team, when there are no reactive measures to losses and a straight vision for the future.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Aug 2022 1:33pm What do you now think of the Round One loss to Collingwood now?

That is one way to assess how the coaching staff see the team, when there are no reactive measures to losses and a straight vision for the future.
We loss to them by a big margin compared to many sides
:D :D

saint4life
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

It was clearly wrong to re-sign Ratten when we did .... should have waited at least until the H&A season was done and dusted to see if we made finals ... that should have been a non negotiable ...... now we hear that North are in the running for super coach Clarkson who was gettable ...... cue a bit of vomit in my mouth

That said we can still make Finals but looks like we will have to win our last 2 games and even then its not guaranteed

Everytime there is a sliding door we seemingly chose the wrong option ..... all in hindsight of course but it seems forever we always get it mostly wrong ...... you can't win a Premiership without a good dose of luck but for some reason that little bit of good fortune never seems to fall our way when it truly matters ..... either through decision making, drafting or key injuries or like equivalent out of our control

I hope Ratten can prove us wrong over the next 2 years or hopefully the next few weeks ..... but can't say my confidence levels are at full capacity

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

honestly why do we want to play finals?
Finals are a step up again & we cant threaten teams now -so where is sudden turn of ability come from ?

EVERYONE bangs on about the draw but again when you are playing for the top eight - no team should be a danger side - isnt the idea you can beat them all anywhere regardless of ground?
I would rather the bottom half draw and improved draft pick at this stage of the season thanks

Seeya
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Wed 10 Aug 2022 5:34pm honestly why do we want to play finals?
Finals are a step up again & we cant threaten teams now -so where is sudden turn of ability come from ?

EVERYONE bangs on about the draw but again when you are playing for the top eight - no team should be a danger side - isnt the idea you can beat them all anywhere regardless of ground?
I would rather the bottom half draw and improved draft pick at this stage of the season thanks
I think if you asked Lethlean or the Board, they would argue that playing in the finals will bring a guaranteed significant benefit to the club in terms of attracting members and sponsors in 2023.

If we were to tank our last two games of the season that would bring us what exactly in terms of the draft? Pick 8 instead of pick 10? (Something like that: I expect others who have a better understanding than me of how the draft works can clarify this point.) Anyway, that's unlikely to be tremendously helpful unless there is a particular player we are targeting: either in the draft itself, or on the playing list of another club and the asking price is going to be pick 8 or whatever.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

IM not saying the board coaching staff or players would deliberately tank the last two
but as supporters - does it really matter given what has happened in the last half of season ?

Seeya
Banger9798
SS Life Member

That loss to Port in Cairns will cost us finals.
Chins have dropped since the Essendon loss, and nothing seems to be working.
The players like Ratten, but they're not inspired to play for him or his game plan.
2 more years of this? No thanks.
Something is rotten down there.
Our list is not as bad as some on here would have it, a good coach has alot to work with.
But there is a listless feeling down there, now and our hopes of attracting the one or two players we need to elevate has taken a huge blow with our second half of the season.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Wed 10 Aug 2022 6:27pm IM not saying the board coaching staff or players would deliberately tank the last two
but as supporters - does it really matter given what has happened in the last half of season ?
Can you imagine tanking like the Dees, i.e. playing guys out of position; Howard kicks 10;
Max keeps Daniher goaless;
Higgins tackles Cameron out of the game;
Brad Hill goes in and under, does 10 centre clearances dishing to Crouch who bounces then kicks to Sharman in the fwd pocket.
Tanking strategy fails, Saints into the 8.
Rath says, bugger me, figures can lie.

Templar
Club Player

Very Mel Brooksian like plotting Yorkeys! "Springtime, for Hitler and Germany!"

Talking about plans that back fire we could hustle another advantage by mimicking the baked bean sequence in the final huddle which would destroy the deep breathing routine! 4 goal advantage right there!

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!