And so it begins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Re: And so it begins

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 6:39pm Coaches are very important

But as far as influence on results go

The quality of the list is what gets it done?
Craig McRae says hello.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why does he say hello?

Is he a great coach?

Templar
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 7:42pm Why does he say hello?

Is he a great coach?
Change the subject. Good on ya.

McRae appears to be a tad more influentual on game day results than Buckley at the minute. But you would appear to disagree and have a different understanding of how the filth have climbed 15 places on the ladder. Nothing to do with coaching approach right? Buckley and Harves gone and then bang. Different game style. 17th to 2nd. Overnight. But the coaches are having no influence. Got it....

Note that I am not a sack the coach person but ffs our team spirit and game day methods are currently abysmal. And it hurts.

I dont know what changes need to be made to "training services" personel but some serious adjustments clearly need to be made because the inconsistency of what our squad brings on game day, the catastrophic bomb it long to a pack tactic, picking and choosing when to play, no ideas when a team gets a run on.

Our current squad can seriously switch on. We have seen that. But game day approach, focus and tactics right now are embarrassing.
Last edited by Templar on Sun 07 Aug 2022 8:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Buckley coached Collingwood into a Grand Final

Can’t be a terrible coach

Can he?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are we the first middle of the road team to get done by 7 goals down at Geelong??

Templar
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 8:16pm Buckley coached Collingwood into a Grand Final

Can’t be a terrible coach

Can he?
Keep changing the subject. Your claim is that coaches have no influence on results. I am not going to address random diversions to limit spamming the forum.

I'm out. cheers

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 6:39pm The list is a 9-12 list imo

Wouldn’t matter if Clarkson was coach

He wouldn’t have a Roughead, Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Smith, Frawley, Gunston, Rioli type list

He’d have a list like he did at Hawthorn when he was given the lemonade and Sars!

Coaches are very important

Chris Scott has the best H&A record in the last 10 years but hasn’t won a flag since 2011 on the back of the Pruneface hand over.

He has had arguably the best list or equal to in the competition, and recruited guns of the competition.

In that same period Clarkson had a much inferior H&A record but won a three peat of flags.

Is Scott a good coach, average or a dud.
He had the talent to win a couple but couldn’t do it?

Yes Clarkson had the list, but so did others who were not nearly as successful.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

If Scott wins it this year - likely

That’s 2 premierships in 11 years

Any club would take that

Probably more if they didn’t have juggernauts like Hawthorn and Richmond to contend with

I hate Chris Scott
Love his record though

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Clarkson has a lower winning percentage because he has had poor years both at the start of his tenure and the end and a few years in between (must have been a poor coach in those years?)

But had very successful seasons

2008 - he coached Hawthorn to a win imo

13-15 - the team won the GFs

The Recruit
Club Player

Surly it’s time to move on

Rath and Lade

Lade fwd line coaching has been terrible, 2 small forwards that dont tackle, max king forced into the 50 arc, no scope to run..? Membry all over the place.

Raths game plan just is not working for the team we have.

We need to get in some talent like Collingwood have Leppa.

Minimum should be David Noble
Would also look to poach Mark Williams

We need some elite coaching talent to help Bret

The back have been very good all year, no coincidence we have poached coaching talent and this areas improves.

Time to make some hard calls and get in guys that
- are uncompromising with standards
- have elite high standards
- have some idea how to be proactive prior to game day and during game day
- can coach to disrupt the way other teams want to play
- help ratten improve as a coach

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 6:39pm The list is a 9-12 list imo

Wouldn’t matter if Clarkson was coach

He wouldn’t have a Roughead, Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Smith, Frawley, Gunston, Rioli type list

He’d have a list like he did at Hawthorn when he was given the lemonade and Sars!

Coaches are very important

But we’ve recruited this list to play finals?????
We have a Board and Prez saying our window is open
Are uou suggesting the club don’t know what they’re doing?
Let’s have great man

“Yeah….nah””
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 9:58pm If Scott wins it this year - likely

That’s 2 premierships in 11 years

Any club would take that

Probably more if they didn’t have juggernauts like Hawthorn and Richmond to contend with

I hate Chris Scott
Love his record though
You certainly are prone to exaggeration BM. :lol:

Scott has already coached 11 completed seasons.
Pretty sure the 2022 premiership cup has not been awarded as yet so your scenario of 2 in 11 years is factually impossible and your pure fantasy.

Scott has one premiership in his first season which could be well argued that it was in transition, Alan Joyce style.

Scott has a winning ratio of 69%, and this more than eclipses any of his contemporaries let alone any of the following coaches in the last 10 completed seasons: Longmire, Clarkson, Beveridge, Hardwick, Simpson, Goodwin

With core players across those seasons including AA: Taylor, Stewart, Selwood, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Ablett,T. Kelly, J. Kelly, Enright, Bartel, Scarlett, Mackie, Cameron he could only make it to one GF while obliterating every other club's win/loss ratio in the period.

Do you think Sydney, Hawthorn, Footscray, Richmond, West Coast & Melbourne all had better lists than Geelong over the last 10 years?
Obviously his winning H&A % says they do/did not have better lists.

Good for you if you love the record of someone who dominates in the H&A season but can't get the job done in the finals.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He’s a good coach.

I used to work with an AFL umpire. He told me that compared to the other coaches, both Scotts were total you know whats.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 10:49pm Surly it’s time to move on

Rath and Lade

Lade fwd line coaching has been terrible, 2 small forwards that dont tackle, max king forced into the 50 arc, no scope to run..? Membry all over the place.

Raths game plan just is not working for the team we have.

We need to get in some talent like Collingwood have Leppa.

Minimum should be David Noble
Would also look to poach Mark Williams

We need some elite coaching talent to help Bret

The back have been very good all year, no coincidence we have poached coaching talent and this areas improves.

Time to make some hard calls and get in guys that
- are uncompromising with standards
- have elite high standards
- have some idea how to be proactive prior to game day and during game day
- can coach to disrupt the way other teams want to play
- help ratten improve as a coach
Yep back that
It’s the kind of bold move a kick ass Admin would demand
Our lot think this sides top 4 ready with our window open
Delusional

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Still haven’t answered Teflon

Looking at the list and the draw we had

How many wins do you reckon we were/are capable of?

Because you seem hysterical and have hit the panic button. Are we a top 4 capable side (like the dogs) and are missing the 8?

FFS
We just got smacked by Geelong in Geelong - they are top of the ladder - they are at home - they are in good form.

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 6:34am Still haven’t answered Teflon

Looking at the list and the draw we had

How many wins do you reckon we were/are capable of?

Because you seem hysterical and have hit the panic button. Are we a top 4 capable side (like the dogs) and are missing the 8?

FFS
We just got smacked by Geelong in Geelong - they are top of the ladder - they are at home - they are in good form.
Oh settle down. You can’t command people to answer you. Stick to your footy analysis and insight, they are great to read.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It’s not about winning or losing B.M

I think some people just want a messiah to come to St Kilda. They want the holy grail delivered tomorrow…or at least by September 2023

We are always looking to individuals to work miracles.

It’s about Clarko… Get him now!! Our window is now!!

Why didn’t they get Clarko? Why didn’t they ask Clarko if he wanted to coach our team? Parkin and Matthews and Sheedy have retired so surely we could have asked Clarko?

Surely he wants an opportunity to coach Hill again and to see Snags develop into Breust and to see Gresham turn into Cyril and Zac Jones ….ok maybe that’s pushing it…but surely he’d love to have the leadership out on the ground of our very own Dan Hannebery?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 9:25am It’s not about winning or losing B.M

I think some people just want a messiah to come to St Kilda. They want the holy grail delivered tomorrow…or at least by September 2023

We are always looking to individuals to work miracles.

It’s about Clarko… Get him now!! Our window is now!!

Why didn’t they get Clarko? Why didn’t they ask Clarko if he wanted to coach our team? Parkin and Matthews and Sheedy have retired so surely we could have asked Clarko?

Surely he wants an opportunity to coach Hill again and to see Snags develop into Breust and to see Gresham turn into Cyril and Zac Jones ….ok maybe that’s pushing it…but surely he’d love to have the leadership out on the ground of our very own Dan Hannebery?
Clarko and Ratts are good mates from their time at Hawthorn. What would it do to their friendship if Clarko came in and the club didn't renew a coach that has a winning record with a finals win?

All those comparing Ratten to Richo clearly have no idea. When we renewed Richo's contract at the end of 2016, he only had a 34% W/L record. We went 12-10 in 2016 missing the finals by percentage (admittedly, it was 9.5%). We had a 12-10 record with a percentage of 95.7. But we were trending up.

In this case, our coach isn't the problem. We manage to draft and trade good players in only to turn them into spuds.
Our player development is awful. That is not the fault of the head coach.
We could get the best coach with the best game plan into the club and it would make no difference as no game plan can survive our terrible ball use.
Turnovers are the biggest killers in our game and we smashed the Cats in that category on Saturday.
I'd love to see a breakdown of unforced turnovers v pressured turnovers for our club.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The magnitude of the Essendon loss
Getting run down by Port Adelaide after looking to be in control

These rather than Geelong result are at least partially due to coaching, or am I delusional?

spert
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 7:13pm The magnitude of the Essendon loss
Getting run down by Port Adelaide after looking to be in control

These rather than Geelong result are at least partially due to coaching, or am I delusional?
Then there's the inability to put teams away once in front- we struggled to finally get on top of North, almost gave the game away against the Hawks in the last quarter. There's something just not working between Ratts and the playing group, and either he is taking the wrong approach to motivating, or the players as a group are not listening. Coaches do make a difference from my experience in my younger days- some guys got into the heads of players, and others just stood in front of the group and talked and bored quite few before went on the ground, or on the court etc.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Whether you like him or not this is a tweet from Grant Thomas- where there’s smoke there’s fire I reckon. He quotes

Rath is the controlling figure there that seemingly renders other input from other coaches useless

Banger9798
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 8:51pm Whether you like him or not this is a tweet from Grant Thomas- where there’s smoke there’s fire I reckon. He quotes

Rath is the controlling figure there that seemingly renders other input from other coaches useless
Is this another case of being held hostage by one person's ego a la Pelchen?

Or are we just scapegoating one individual instead of looking at the overall issues?

We have a history of both

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 8:51pm Whether you like him or not this is a tweet from Grant Thomas- where there’s smoke there’s fire I reckon. He quotes

Explains a lot to me.
Wonder what Rath's power base is.
Sad

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

This is going to confuse the fukc out of Teffers. He's going to get his hate and logic so mixed up he won't know if he wants Rath sacked or if GT should be our next coach.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 9:21pm

Explains a lot to me.
Wonder what Rath's power base is.
Sad
All I'll say is, just remember it was a tweet reposted in an anonymous forum by a murky poster.

Sometimes 1 + 1 can equal 3 but its best to wait until a you can ask a mathematician for help.