Lack of Respect

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Lack of Respect

I believe that tonight displayed a lack of respect for us, the supporters and members, the Swans, and anybody who turned in expecting to see a competitive game between two reasonable teams hoping to make the finals this year.

I don't think I was the only one around here who had raised eyebrows with the outs at selection this week.
Players left out for personal reasons again in what is obviously a very important match for the club this year in it's bid to make finals.
Managing a ruckman against one of the most consistent teams of the last decade and a half at their home ground.
Dropping a forward who can at least hit the scoreboard at the expense of others who do not.

Given that we are currently in the process of easing back players who are best 22 and are returning from long term injuries this past few weeks, I certainly questioned the wisdom of the timing of this. It smacked of surrendering to me.

Then there is the continual refusal to try to pick out a target and lower our eyes when we kick the ball into our forward line. We are not even looking at the players we are kicking at - I am not going to say to, as we just kick in somebody's general direction. The commentators on channel 7 spoke about this a lot at the end of the game tonight and in the presser afterward. It has to be addressed now.

It seems to me that the club decided beforehand that we couldn't win tonight, so instead we will double down when we are back in Melbourne at Docklands playing Carlton next week and put all of our eggs in that proverbial basket. As a member I feel that this strategy is disrespectful to me and others like me and probably you guys on here.

I know that as soon as finals look unlikely we'll hit form again and win a block of games like last year and 2019. It is all just so utterly predictable.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:32am, edited 10 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lack of Respect

I’m disgusted.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Too nice as a club.
Again, soft and trying to make everyone happy.

I’m sorry, but unless someone has died or is dying, none of this business of missing games and clumps of weeks is not on.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I thought the lack of a second ruckman was a really puzzling decision... especially given the impression that Marshall is either injured our has been out of form. Historically playing one and getting a non-ruck to pinch hit has been a seriously poor strategy.

That said, I doubt Campbell would have been the difference. Might have been nice to see Heath debut.

With Hill out... I wouldn’t have minded seeing Sinclair spend time in the middle

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 11:54pm I’m disgusted.
Me too. And shocked. This has the hallmarks of a big story. We have too many good players for this to happen as a natural result of Sydney's ability. Lose sure, but history making ineptitude for a club that historically owns ineptitude is so perplexing.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 11:58pm I thought the lack of a second ruckman was a really puzzling decision... especially given the impression that Marshall is either injured our has been out of form. Historically playing one and getting a non-ruck to pinch hit has been a seriously poor strategy.

That said, I doubt Campbell would have been the difference. Might have been nice to see Heath debut.

With Hill out... I wouldn’t have minded seeing Sinclair spend time in the middle
I thought Sharman showed some promise as a ruckman. We should give him 50 games in a row to develop his ruck craft.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 11:58pm I thought the lack of a second ruckman was a really puzzling decision... especially given the impression that Marshall is either injured our has been out of form. Historically playing one and getting a non-ruck to pinch hit has been a seriously poor strategy.

Heath was terrible today for Sandy, it's almost a race between him and Allison as to who gets to the AFL first.

Sandy is a worry, once the Saints have a few injuries Sandy's performance drops away big time, they have almost no depth outside of their AFL listed players.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:12am

Heath was terrible today for Sandy, it's almost a race between him and Allison as to who gets to the AFL first.

Sandy is a worry, once the Saints have a few injuries Sandy's performance drops away big time, they have almost no depth outside of their AFL listed players.
The standard of VFL is very poor at the moment due to the fallout from the Pandemic. It's why players like Sharman and Buttler look fantastic at that grade. Billings even looked good at VFL level.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The boardroom has some huge decisions to make after this debacle

Love to be a fly on the wall

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah I don't think we have been that Pathetic 2 games in a row under Ratts . Not just beaten on the scoreboard but totally out classed on the park . Players seem to have lost the passion because the effort is just not there anymore . You are never going to win a game of AFL if you don't have 18 blokes giving their all & that did not happen last week or tonight but why?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Samurai,
Fair play!
I agree.
What the ????
Dropping Higgins ???

I want to blame HIll...but he missed the train..so he's exempt..no doubt, if he'd played, he would have been a satisfactory target.
So I blame the new guy.
No, not, King.
Sharman
His real name is Shaman
Rasputin.

But seriously, WTF?

St Kilda tried hard.
it wasn't a lack of effort.
Structure...??
What could they have done? (except obviously picking the team)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:21am The boardroom has some huge decisions to make after this debacle

Love to be a fly on the wall
Only if Iggy is in the boardroom!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I honestly believe it wouldn’t matter who we had in this side hill anyone else we still would’ve lost we are in the s*** big time

That is a side with absolutely no direction headless chooks
I think we all know what has to happen next

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

like they say "Bayside suburbs"
too easy

its Thomastown or Tassie, unfortunately

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Not sure a lack of effort was so much the problem moreso playing as individuals .. reckon I could have counted on one hand the number of times someone ran past for a handball off half back / wing to get some momentum in our play .... not sure we even looked into the middle tonight to switch and at least try and mess with Sydney setting up behind the ball

We kicked long down the line or bombed it into the forwardline and everytime the ball hits the ground we were nowhere to be seen.

As some have said there seems to be no semblance of a game plan and even worse the players on the ground don't do anything to fix it either when it's freakin obvious we needed to break lines and running carry and take a few risks

How the fk Higgins was dropped before Butler has got me stumped ..... King desperately needs a chop out and yes we bring in Sharman but he spends half the game in the ruck so again we are one tall forward short most of the game and King gets mauled .... surely Campbell replaces Ryder and Sharman stays forward .... nope

Ratten has got 8 games to resurrect the ship ..... if we don't play finals after an 8-3 start something has to give

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:53am Not sure a lack of effort was so much the problem moreso playing as individuals .. reckon I could have counted on one hand the number of times someone ran past for a handball off half back / wing to get some momentum in our play .... not sure we even looked into the middle tonight to switch and at least try and mess with Sydney setting up behind the ball

We kicked long down the line or bombed it into the forwardline and everytime the ball hits the ground we were nowhere to be seen.

As some have said there seems to be no semblance of a game plan and even worse the players on the ground don't do anything to fix it either when it's freakin obvious we needed to break lines and running carry and take a few risks

How the fk Higgins was dropped before Butler has got me stumped ..... King desperately needs a chop out and yes we bring in Sharman but he spends half the game in the ruck so again we are one tall forward short most of the game and King gets mauled .... surely Campbell replaces Ryder and Sharman stays forward .... nope

Ratten has got 8 games to resurrect the ship ..... if we don't play finals after an 8-3 start something has to give
Higgins didn't do anything at Sandy on Saturday that warrants him getting back into the team, he may though as options are limited.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 1:08am
Devilhead wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:53am Not sure a lack of effort was so much the problem moreso playing as individuals .. reckon I could have counted on one hand the number of times someone ran past for a handball off half back / wing to get some momentum in our play .... not sure we even looked into the middle tonight to switch and at least try and mess with Sydney setting up behind the ball

Higgins didn't do anything at Sandy on Saturday that warrants him getting back into the team, he may though as options are limited.
At least Higgo hits the scoreboard fairly consistently .... Butler is nowhere near it

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:11am

I thought Sharman showed some promise as a ruckman. We should give him 50 games in a row to develop his ruck craft.
I realised this was uber sarcasm after seeing your next post about VFL being so poor that Sharman looks good for Sandy 🙆‍♂️

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Moods
Saintsational Legend

:D
Annoyedsaint wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 11:56pm Too nice as a club.

I’m sorry, but unless someone has died or is dying, none of this business of missing games and clumps of weeks is not on.
My understanding is that’s EXACTLY what happened. Death in the family

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 8:34am :D
Annoyedsaint wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 11:56pm Too nice as a club.

My understanding is that’s EXACTLY what happened. Death in the family
Club has to come out and say it then.
Not just say it’s “personal leave”. We deserve to know exactly why players are missing games for any reason.

It has to be immediate family too. Not your 9th cousin for example.