IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

I know coaches aren’t the answer but after 3 years there is zero system, zero game plan and the coach has to answer for that
We are playing other club rejects and they’re rejects for a reason - Jones, Butler just not up to being your front line midfield they’re stocking filler at best
We MUST talk to Clarkson and out any talk with Ratten on hold
It’s incompetence to re-sign a coach who after 3 years has not been able to put in a system or game plan that stands up
He has to go or at least have signing delayed.
Last edited by Teflon on Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

It won’t happen. Baring a miracle, Ratten is finished.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Who do we go with Clarkson & Buckley are not options!?

PADDLEPOP1000
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Look, I think Ratten is ordinary

But the coach doesn’t make player play s***

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The CEO and Simon Lethlean have handed Ratts a bunch of moneyball imports. This is the hand he’s been dealt

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Same coach had us top four weeks ago.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 10:42pm The CEO and Simon Lethlean have handed Ratts a bunch of moneyball imports. This is the hand he’s been dealt
Is the team so bad that they should only kick 2 goals for the entire game?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Otiman wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 10:44pm Same coach had us top four weeks ago.
And that position has now been squandered in an epic fashion.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We’ve had three years + four rounds of Ratten and I still can’t figure out his game plan.

It seems reliant on ‘bursts’, which is totally unsustainable.

He’s been better than Richardson but we have to move on and find someone who can take us to the next level.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Truth is I don't think we were that good even in our victories.

A few second-half bursts thanks to superior fitness.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ratts proved he could coach. Ratts was one of the main reasons we got so close in 2020

Maybe if we were lucky and Ryder hadn’t of done his hammy and if Carlisle hadn’t have wanted to desert us when we needed him and if the AFL hadn’t have rubbed out Longy, maybe we could’ve beaten Richmond and gone all the way…who knows

The football club desperately gambled on a bunch of moneyball imports and in the long run, if you don’t have the foundations of a connected group, it shows. Player trust in each other and player confidence in each other is poor.

Right now we look years away from a premiership

Crossy66
Club Player

At the very least, contract discussion should be paused. Based on the performance of the last few weeks, there is something seriously wrong and no one should be safe

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

IMO Ratt's has lost the players . The effort they have displayed in the last month shows they have no faith in the game plan or his ability to get us to the next level. They look lethargic disinterested & the end of the season can't come quick enough . What started out so promising has imploded in a very short time & I don't think he can get them back

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:44am IMO Ratt's has lost the players . The effort they have displayed in the last month shows they have no faith in the game plan or his ability to get us to the next level. They look lethargic disinterested & the end of the season can't come quick enough . What started out so promising has imploded in a very short time & I don't think he can get them back
THIS

It must be this.

Even the young guys like Max, NWM, and Windhager (who looked "so meh" after his goal) seem like shadows of what they can be.

Something very serious has gone down, deep inside the club, to cause the players to show the surrender, lack of care and disrespect they have in these last 2 games

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:44am IMO Ratt's has lost the players . The effort they have displayed in the last month shows they have no faith in the game plan or his ability to get us to the next level. They look lethargic disinterested & the end of the season can't come quick enough . What started out so promising has imploded in a very short time & I don't think he can get them back
Are they playing Ratt's gamestyle or Rath's ?

Or a combination of both of their ideas ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

What role did Rath play at Hawthorn?

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 10:22pm I know coaches aren’t the answer but after 3 years there is zero system, zero game plan and the coach has to answer for that
We are playing other club rejects and they’re rejects for a reason - Jones, Butler just not up to being your front line midfield they’re stocking filler at best
We MUST talk to Clarkson and out any talk with Ratten on hold
It’s incompetence to re-sign a coach who after 3 years has not been able to put in a system or game plan that stands up
He has to go
The board has to go and so do all the coaching staff

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
nobhead
Club Player

Very concerning 2,-3 weeks ago when ratten contract talks were in the news that one of our cub greats in riewolt came out publicly and said we should be talking to clarkson.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 10:44pm Same coach had us top four weeks ago.
We were flattered first half year results let’s stop kidding ourselves
We beat a vulnerable Richmond and got Freo out of form
We played 1.5 qtrs of good footy against Cats
Side has not played 4 qtrs this year and I don’t believe the list is suddenly just Shyte
We’ve had zero forward/transition game plan since 2020 when we bombed it in abd smalls kicked goals
That’s been worked out and now we have zip

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We should absolutely target Clarkson and do just about anything required to get him. However, if he isn't interested then I don't think sacking Ratten for another unproven coach is wise

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nobhead wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 10:37am Very concerning 2,-3 weeks ago when ratten contract talks were in the news that one of our cub greats in riewolt came out publicly and said we should be talking to clarkson.
I noticed that
Riewoldt is astute I don’t think he’s sold on Ratten tbh
Anyway if this Board re-sign after what we have seen and consign us to years more of this the club is finished
We’ll end up in Tasmania for sure
You can’t keep making the wrong decisions after another and expect the AFL to bail us out
Even Carlton have a list and midfield that will allow them to compete
Collingwood will pass us - they have a system and Bombers will grab a Clarkson or something decent and also move past us..
We nearly killed McCartin bombing on his head I reckon we’ll destroy King
And NWM kicking already looks like it’s going backwards at this club
It is seriously time we get a hard ass in the top coaching job to demand performance
Haven’t had it since Lyon

“Yeah….nah””
suss
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 10:42pm The CEO and Simon Lethlean have handed Ratts a bunch of moneyball imports. This is the hand he’s been dealt
I agree with this but also add that I don't think Lethlean and his team had much of a choice. The problem with our list goes back to Trout and friends who ran it into the ground.

We had to do some moneyball trading to get competitive again and I think some of those trades / FA picks have been wins (e.g. Howard, Ryder, Higgins, Crouch), while others have not (e.g. Jones). Others are somewhere in between - e.g. Hill and Butler (though Butler is looking worse as time goes on).

I have no problem with the current coaching and list strategy, but it's going to take an eternity to correct the woeful drafting and recruitment of that earlier era.

We need to keep turning the list over, bringing in elite kids through the draft, while making better / more selective trading choices. It will take time.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Considering we go to Jack Higgins a lot as a target inside 50, it is understandable that Jack has more goals than any other forward apart from Max.

Although Butler hasn't kicked many goals this year and although Higgins has more goals this year than Dan it's interesting to compare their career goals

Dan Butler averages 1.1 goals per game and Jack only overages 1.0 goals per game

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:31pm
I agree with this but also add that I don't think Lethlean and his team had much of a choice. The problem with our list goes back to Trout and friends who ran it into the ground.

We had to do some moneyball trading to get competitive again and I think some of those trades / FA picks have been wins (e.g. Howard, Ryder, Higgins, Crouch), while others have not (e.g. Jones). Others are somewhere in between - e.g. Hill and Butler (though Butler is looking worse as time goes on).

I have no problem with the current coaching and list strategy, but it's going to take an eternity to correct the woeful drafting and recruitment of that earlier era.

We need to keep turning the list over, bringing in elite kids through the draft, while making better / more selective trading choices. It will take time.
Just to clarify. I agree you need to 'bring in elite kids through the draft.' Let's have some faith in our current development staff and our coaches at Sandy

...but I don't agree that we need to keep looking for players who are on the fringe with other teams or delisted free agents that other teams are discarding. The Higgins trade was done recently.

Was there a desperate need to replace Lonie or were we thinking Higgins was going to play in the midfield?

Why did we need another small forward after we'd already recruited Butler and we had Gresh, JB, Long and Kent, with Lonie still on the list and other draftees able to competently play in the forward line ( Mich Owens being the most recent example when he played the role of small forward ). Hill and others have also competently played in the forward line

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Yep