It’s official- Dan Butler is blessed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: It’s official- Dan Butler is blessed

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 3:41pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 3:24pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 3:17pm I’m not picking on Butler but there needs to be selection integrity.
Fact is he hasn’t done much since 2020 when he had a point to prove, even then, when opposing coaches put work into shutting him down in the second half of that season he was pretty much impotent.
I recon go your hardest with picking on Buttler he deserves it, but using Buttlers poor performance as justification for selecting another player like Sharman who is barely putting in good performances at VFL is flawed logic.
I actually prefer Jack Hayes but obviously he’s unavailable, so I’ve mentioned Sharman mainly because I think we need another tall target to help take the heat off King.
Without Hayes the cupboard is a bit bare for tall targets to assist King, Allison won't be AFL ready until 2028 at the earliest, if at all, so i'm hoping the list managers have an epiphany at some point
and target someone at season's end to fill that role.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Why the hate for poor old Mav Butler?

Is it the cutesy fancy little kicks and knock ons when he has options to pick the ball up?

Is it the lack of hitting the scoreboard?

I don’t think anyone could argue his work rate & pressure.

If he could make his tackles stick like Long or Tippa(can’t spell the rest) would it be different?

Give Mav Butler a break and get behind him.
Last edited by D.B.Cooper on Sat 25 Jun 2022 9:26am, edited 1 time in total.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

MAV Butler?

🤦‍♂️🤡

😂🤣

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 8:59am Why the hate for poor old Mav Butler?

Is it the cutesy fancy little kicks and knock ons when he has options to pick the ball up?

If he could make his tackles stick like Long or Tippa(can’t spell the rest) would it be different?

Well perhaps he represents a failed game plan that is dragging us down.
Perhaps because he is worse than ineffectual in a game where the weakest link can break a team.
Perhaps its because we have a sense of fairness that should be present in team selection
Perhaps because his clangers on the field are so exasperatingly wasteful and embarrassing.
And he is a forward that can't score even when handed chances on a plate.
I wonder what the multi odds are for him to kick 2 goals or more, now I have hopefully tempted fate to let him kick a bag.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 10:28am

Perhaps because he is worse than ineffectual in a game where the weakest link can break a team.
Perhaps its because we have a sense of fairness that should be present in team selection
Perhaps because his clangers on the field are so exasperatingly wasteful and embarrassing.
I wonder what the multi odds are for him to kick 2 goals or more, now I have hopefully tempted fate to let him kick a bag.
His biggest issue is he doesn't kick clutch goals which as everybody knows are more valuable than normal goals.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 12:18pm

His biggest issue is he doesn't kick clutch goals which as everybody knows are more valuable than normal goals.
Let's play a drinking game on tonight's match thread: a drink every time a Saints player kicks a clutch goal. Of course, any goal kicked by Sharman - even in the first minute of the game - automatically qualifies. No goal kicked by Butler or Billings can possibly qualify: even if it's a match-winner.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 12:28pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 12:18pm

Let's play a drinking game on tonight's match thread: a drink every time a Saints player kicks a clutch goal. Of course, any goal kicked by Sharman - even in the first minute of the game - automatically qualifies. No goal kicked by Butler or Billings can possibly qualify: even if it's a match-winner.
I play a drinking game every week, but I skull a stiff drink every goal the opposition kicks more than us.

But I like your rules too.

Goals by Billings though should be 3 drinks each just so you don't get thirsty.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 12:36pm

I play a drinking game every week, but I skull a stiff drink every goal the opposition kicks more than us.

:lol: I luv youse guys at times. I enjoy reading little gems like this - they often come back to me during the day and cause me a little giggle or two :P

Enjoy your drinking game tonight - especially those clutch goals.
I’m a bit confused about clutch goals, I thought there would only be one a match, ie ONE GOAL, that turned the game in the Saints favour at a vital stage or one that miraculously wins the game for the Saints against all odds? If my interpretation is near the mark I’m afraid you fellows will will be bit thirsty by games end. Maybe you could introduce ‘semi clutch goals’, one in each quarter? Then top it off with the daddy of them all - ‘The Sharman Clutch Goal’. Happy drinking boys, you can rely on Billings to keep you lubricated!!!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 1:37pm

:lol: I luv youse guys at times. I enjoy reading little gems like this - they often come back to me during the day and cause me a little giggle or two :P

I’m a bit confused about clutch goals, I thought there would only be one a match, ie ONE GOAL, that turned the game in the Saints favour at a vital stage or one that miraculously wins the game for the Saints against all odds? If my interpretation is near the mark I’m afraid you fellows will will be bit thirsty by games end. Maybe you could introduce ‘semi clutch goals’, one in each quarter? Then top it off with the daddy of them all - ‘The Sharman Clutch Goal’. Happy drinking boys, you can rely on Billings to keep you lubricated!!!
And you won't believe it Loris, the rules committee has introduced a descent rule also and the penalty for flapping my arms is skull a light beer.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 1:37pm

A clutch goal is any goal kicked, by any St.Kilda player, at any stage of a game we win, while we are behind and until we are 5 goals clear.

Now, its long over due, but in honour of Barry Breen and in true St.Kilda spirit, we should really be talking about clutch behinds, clutch goals are so overrated.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 5:50pm What is he like without the footy?
Probably similar to Butler in front of goals…
I chuckle at this “butler pressure expert” dross - he instilled little fear in Bombers walking it out
At least Long tackles to hurt
And you just know when he gets the ball Bytler it’s headless chook time
You would not want to rely on this guy in a cut throat final and same as at Tigers - he’s played his 1 good year
Does Sharman have flaws?? Ofcourse he does but if he can lead and help spread the Swans defence to give King, Membrey (who needs badly to do something) then he’s doing well
Batch has mentioned he’s working in his defensive game so he knows that
We desperately need a reliable lead up forward option to support King cause Membrey ain’t it

“Yeah….nah””
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Loris: nice to encounter you on SS again. How’re you travelling?

CQSaint: in the #MeToo era, clutch behinds can’t be tolerated.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
loris
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 7:31pm Loris: nice to encounter you on SS again. How’re you travelling?

Travelling well thanks MB. :P Are you still in the Apple Isle?
Let's hope the team can deliver numerous clutch goals and a few clutch behinds (to keep CQSaint contented) on Friday night and we Sainters can all have a big clutching love-in as we get back on a winning role.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 1:22pm
meher baba wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 7:31pm Loris: nice to encounter you on SS again. How’re you travelling?

Travelling well thanks MB. :P Are you still in the Apple Isle?
Let's hope the team can deliver numerous clutch goals and a few clutch behinds (to keep CQSaint contented) on Friday night and we Sainters can all have a big clutching love-in as we get back on a winning role.
Yes Loris. I’m still living in North Antarctica (well that’s what it’s felt like this winter). I hope eventually to move somewhere warmer, but am kept down here ATM by various personal ties. Hoping the Saints will generate some warmth for me on Friday!

- Jonathan Swift
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

7.5 from 11 games this year for Butler ..... barely 1 shot at goal per game for a small forward

Whatever photo he has of Ratten must be a corker

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Club Player

Baton passed from Lonie to Butler. Selections I will never fathom. Actually most weeks I am saddened by the selections.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

To be fair he kicked 25% of our goals. Had 50% until our last 5 min onslaught.
Can't remember his other 4 touches though.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 11:44pm To be fair he kicked 25% of our goals. Had 50% until our last 5 min onslaught.
Can't remember his other 4 touches though.
One of them was unforgettable.
He didn't control the ball nor touch it with his hands, he kicked it off the ground to prove he's a magician but failed miserably.
A sort of kick you do at end of training before hittimg the showers, just for a bit of fun.
If you earn a huge $$ as a pro footballer, it's very amateurish indeed and disrespecting your entire squad

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 2:16pm It’s just amazing that every supporter I speak to cannot understand how Butler is picked week after week.
What does he offer is the often asked questions…6 goals in a dozen games is not satisfactory, doesn’t seem to be much of a goal assist player either…and this pressure thing that Ratten keeps banging on about?
At least Sharman hits the scoreboard every time he plays, plus presents as a leading option.
Surely it’s time for mixing things up in the forward 50.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus