De Goey 5 year deal 800 a year.!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: De Goey 5 year deal 800 a year.!!

“Don't like the board getting involved in on-field matters.
Reeks a bit of "The Club" for mine”.

It’s not the 1970s. Anyway, that’s not what exactly happened. If you have seen the film or the play, the President recruited a pot head.

There are governance issues at stake both financial and reputational etc. It’s the board’s role to manage the club’s risk around these matters.

De Goey was ARRESTED in the U.S. Do people comprehend what that means?

The board is doing what it’s supposed to be doing. Under corporation law, the board has a fiduciary duty to manage the club’s risk on a range of financial, operational and strategic issues.

I’d be more worried how a confidential board agenda item was leaked to the media. Not good.

It appears that the AFL is still stuck in 1970s The Club land
when it comes to the confidentiality of sensitive board matters.
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Templar
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:02pm
Templar wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 9:36pm I may have slightly over egged the (footy) negatives from that thread. Just had another look. Can go missing for extended periods/games but can be a match winner in bursts. What would I know. See what happens.
So you think he's not value for money at 600k ?
Happy the price is coming down!

But I get the feeling it will end in tears and swiftly.

What is tragic is that I do think that the Cats would be able to "manage" him better than we could.

And why that is... because we don't command authority and respect as an institution.

And because of that to win a flag we need buy in from players.

Not a good destination for someone who needs a disciplinarian environment to find their potential.

If we are starting to get buy in we don't need bad eggs who could care less. We really need buy in. I get a sense that this buy in is starting to simmer again. But I might be wrong as I often am.

So its still a no from me. And he aint coming for 6 anyway.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:21pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:02pm
Templar wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 9:36pm I may have slightly over egged the (footy) negatives from that thread. Just had another look. Can go missing for extended periods/games but can be a match winner in bursts. What would I know. See what happens.
So you think he's not value for money at 600k ?
Happy the price is coming down!

But I get the feeling it will end in tears and swiftly.

What is tragic is that I do think that the Cats would be able to "manage" him better than we could.

And why that is... because we don't command authority and respect as an institution.

And because of that to win a flag we need buy in from players.

Not a good destination for someone who needs a disciplinarian environment to find their potential.

If we are starting to get buy in we don't need bad eggs who could care less. We really need buy in. I get a sense that this buy in is starting to simmer again. But I might be wrong as I often am.

So its still a no from me. And he aint coming for 6 anyway.
500k ?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

P66 bring him back .

I wonder what ever happened to Con Gorozidis. He used to have Muttley as his avatar and his stoushes with Plugger 66 would last for days.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Possibly not analogous but how about the recruitment of Jake Carslile (spelling?). He was photographed snorting and AR rang him for a chat for "assurances".
Did Jake's recruitment work out ok for us overall?
I wonder if the current board would wave through a prospect snapped snorting drugs.
Maybe we have matured as a club, take a more holistic approach. Do due diligence without a preconceived position. ?

Templar
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:40pm
Templar wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:21pm And he aint coming for 6 anyway.
500k ?
Thought it was 8?

OK, will settle for $550, a cold slab of Coopers Pale Ale cans guaranteed in the boot after every training session and a big bag each off season. But we want full effort on game days ok.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:48pm

P66 bring him back .

I wonder what ever happened to Con Gorozidis. He used to have Muttley as his avatar and his stoushes with Plugger 66 would last for days.
Likely still on here like others who have supposedly "left" :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I didn’t agree with the P66 ban and still don’t

Jake Carlisle + pick 15 (Gresham) for Pick 6 ( Francis)

Yep gods trading

Carlisle was a good player with a fkd back in the end - take it from me - once your back is fkd your footy nose dives!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

P66 bring him back .

We've list some real characters over the years....probably coincided with the WOKE and cancel culture era.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:51pm
500k ?
Thought it was 8?

OK, will settle for $550, a cold slab of Coopers Pale Ale cans guaranteed in the boot after every training session and a big bag each off season. But we want full effort on game days ok.
The perfecti illustration that everyone has their price and morals are flexible. My beer fridge has Coopers green cans in it as a minimum.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:56pm

P66 bring him back .

Likely still on here like others who have supposedly "left" :wink:
😁

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 11:15pm I didn’t agree with the P66 ban and still don’t
From memory, P66 self-immolated.

There was no going back.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 11:16pm

P66 bring him back .

We've list some real characters over the years....probably coincided with the WOKE and cancel culture era.
Yep. Their ‘exit’ coincidentally aligned with this particular zeitgeist you speak of.

Templar
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 11:20pm
Templar wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:51pm
500k ?
Thought it was 8?

The perfecti illustration that everyone has their price and morals are flexible. My beer fridge has Coopers green cans in it as a minimum.
Must be something wrong with mine, keeps running out.

Templar
Club Player

Anyway in the spirit of kinship and tolerance f**** Degoey.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I did the same as P66

I abused the moderators on purpose- bad - I was very critical of Chris Pelchen, and it didn’t sit well with the forum. I suppose most supporters wanted to believe in Lyle Lanley and bought the snake oil!
P66 who was generally a club apologist and me had a few stoushes over it!!!

The 2008/2009 off seasons tore the fabric that GT had built out of the club.
The 2011-2013 off seasons completely fkd the club for near on a decade!!!!

The spreadsheet or blueprint of whatever the fk it was crippled the joint

So I went hard at the moderators so they would ban me!!!

They did and I was off SS for years… eventually came back … not sure why?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 03 Aug 2022 4:22am I did the same as P66

I abused the moderators on purpose- bad - I was very critical of Chris Pelchen, and it didn’t sit well with the forum. I suppose most supporters wanted to believe in Lyle Lanley and bought the snake oil!
P66 who was generally a club apologist and me had a few stoushes over it!!!

The 2008/2009 off seasons tore the fabric that GT had built out of the club.
The 2011-2013 off seasons completely fkd the club for near on a decade!!!!

The spreadsheet or blueprint of whatever the fk it was crippled the joint

So I went hard at the moderators so they would ban me!!!

They did and I was off SS for years… eventually came back … not sure why?
Probably because, with all its faults, SS tolerates a reasonably diverse range of views. Big Footy is dominated by a small group of posters who simply repeat the same comments again and again and again and then get shitty at anyone who dares to disagree with them. Plugger66 is a bit of an exception to this rule: he is generally pretty analytical. But otherwise it's a dreadful place IMO. So posters who drift over there usually seem to end up back here: plugger66 again being the main exception (but he was very much the architect of his own demise on here).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

There are posters who are on both platforms..........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
nobhead
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:18pm “Don't like the board getting involved in on-field matters.

It’s not the 1970s. Anyway, that’s not what exactly happened. If you have seen the film or the play, the President recruited a pot head.

There are governance issues at stake both financial and reputational etc. It’s the board’s role to manage the club’s risk around these matters.

The board is doing what it’s supposed to be doing. Under corporation law, the board has a fiduciary duty to manage the club’s risk on a range of financial, operational and strategic issues.

I’d be more worried how a confidential board agenda item was leaked to the media. Not good.

This club at admin level has a long and embarrasing history of making poor decsions and then have them leaked to the media.its whats been killing this club for a very long time.until they some how fix that and get the right peoole running the club they will continue to struggle on and off the ground.I wish they would set the club up too have sustained financial and on field success.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I remember the scuttlebutt at the time with no actual first hand knowledge.

From what was reported at the time, the P66 banning was more in the context of not just a meltdown down/abuse and ripping into the mids, the people that claim to have seen it…
They all categorically stand by the decision saying that it was pretty next level stuff.

Personally I was always in 2 minds about him… I actually thought he was a pretty switched on forumite and yeah had a great analytical mind but he just loved needling this place. I would say 1 out of 5 posts was a genuine contribution and the rest was taunting and winding ppl up and it just derailed too many threads.

Con G, the other great man pbly would be welcomed back to today’s board if he was so inclined. A lot of ppl struggled with the more hands on style moderation when it came on and unfortunately it wasn’t for everyone.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

how can anyone with morals drink Coopers ?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 10:18pm “Don't like the board getting involved in on-field matters.

I have seen the film. The president then marched in to the coaches box and demanded that Haywood be played instead of being left on the bench.
The point was that the board should not be involved in on-field matters.

James Gallagher is the head of List Management.
Allan Williams is the Commercial Partnerships Manager.
I'd imagine, as part of their due diligence, these two would consult about the imact recruting DeGoey might have on any commercial partnerships we have. I'd suspect that it would be no imapct as it hasn't seemed to hurt Collingwood.
James might also consult with any number of other heads of departments to see if there'd be negative impacts. Again, I'd suspect not.
He'd also want to have a chat with DeGoey about what he's doing to address the off field dramas he is involved with.

Once all that due diligence has been done, only then would you go to the board with all the evidence that backs up the recruitment or otherwise of DeGoey. The Board, should have no reason to object to the decision.

The board should focus on clearing our debt and give the club the best possible chance to create success. It should never be involved in which player we draft, delist, trade, or recruit.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 03 Aug 2022 11:20am

I have seen the film. The president then marched in to the coaches box and demanded that Haywood be played instead of being left on the bench.
The point was that the board should not be involved in on-field matters.

James Gallagher is the head of List Management.
Allan Williams is the Commercial Partnerships Manager.
I'd imagine, as part of their due diligence, these two would consult about the imact recruting DeGoey might have on any commercial partnerships we have. I'd suspect that it would be no imapct as it hasn't seemed to hurt Collingwood.
James might also consult with any number of other heads of departments to see if there'd be negative impacts. Again, I'd suspect not.
He'd also want to have a chat with DeGoey about what he's doing to address the off field dramas he is involved with.

Once all that due diligence has been done, only then would you go to the board with all the evidence that backs up the recruitment or otherwise of DeGoey. The Board, should have no reason to object to the decision.

The board should focus on clearing our debt and give the club the best possible chance to create success. It should never be involved in which player we draft, delist, trade, or recruit.
Would you not have wanted the Board to intervene stop Pelchen's vandalistic machinations at the time ?

Corporate structure has important checks and balances and if roles/responsibilities just become fiefdoms to be rubber stamped no good comes of it.

We know if Jordan comes to us the press will push the line: bad boy comes to beggar club Saints - disruption and scandals stories to follow.

If he comes, there needs to be a PR strategy to take the pressure off Jordan and stop media distractions for the players. Needs to be managed and all levels / departments will need to play their parts. Feel sorry for the ones that have to take Robbo out for a long lunch, but - if he is drinking again.

DeGoey has copped so much media crap playing for boiler plated Collingwood, can you imagine what those weasels will do if he is a Saints player. There is more to the deal than time and money and I imagine Jordan and his management appreciate that as well in coming to a decision. Wouldn't surprise if he chose interstate.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Aug 2022 11:15pm I didn’t agree with the P66 ban and still don’t
So as far as you are concerned it's OK to get on the piss and abuse the s*** out of a mod and not get banned. OK :roll: :roll: :roll:

The guy got what he deserved and the forum was the better for it,

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen in my humble opinion was a destroyer and made decisions that hurt this club for years, one of which greatly benefited his former employer.

That's why I was so pleased to see Marshall towel Big Boy up on Saturday. Gas taken me years to get over that one.

As a rule, I believe that the club would be better off employing former saints players than f***wit one day wonders from the opposition, who have no real love for the saints.