Hunter Clark? What’s the verdict so far?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hunter Clark? What’s the verdict so far?

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 1:58pm
stkfc1 wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 7:32pm Hunter needs to get serious in the gym. Maybe it's injuries I don't know, but I see him pretty regularly down the street and you'd never pick he was an AFL player. No muscle definition, thin as a rake, looks gaunt in the face. Maybe just one of those bodies that doesn't put weight on easily but it's a concern, that at his age, he looks so physically undeveloped.
I wished that was case but the only answer can be he simply doesnt apply himself or work hard enough on his body development. He and Coffield have had injuries but mostly are both fails for top 10 picks, then the club hasnt have the leadership to let them know they way behind where they should be. Its criminal how bad our recruiting has been including those two.
Injuries have been horrendous for both. Major injuries too ridiculous to call them fails.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 2:48pm
stkfc1 wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 7:32pm Hunter needs to get serious in the gym. Maybe it's injuries I don't know, but I see him pretty regularly down the street and you'd never pick he was an AFL player. No muscle definition, thin as a rake, looks gaunt in the face. Maybe just one of those bodies that doesn't put weight on easily but it's a concern, that at his age, he looks so physically undeveloped.
I wished that was case but the only answer can be he simply doesnt apply himself or work hard enough on his body development. He and Coffield have had injuries but mostly are both fails for top 10 picks, then the club hasnt have the leadership to let them know they way behind where they should be. Its criminal how bad our recruiting has been including those two.
Injuries have been horrendous for both. Major injuries too ridiculous to call them fails.
Yep, Hunter was probably drinking his meals through a straw for 3 or 4months last year yet posters want to put s*** on him for his body shape.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I would say he is not confident to put his head into contests, and I don't blame him. Might have to modify the way he plays.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Clark had a jaw injury last year - that doesnt stop you hitting the gym. Thats the problem with St Kilda there is always someone ready to make excuses for players or the club.

They are highly paid professionals I could garuntee Clark couldnt bench 50kgs. He has no arm or chest development what so ever. My sons girlfriend who is 5' 2" can bench that.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sat 25 Jun 2022 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I bet he can bench 50kgs. Easy money. Stupid comment.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He has a poor physique for a 5th year player

You can train whilst injured

He has the bod of a local footballer

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So: not strong, not fast, not so tall, no leap of note, not a great kick, as far as I can tell not much of a tackler. Why is he playing.
Have injuries done for him?

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Hunter Clark will end up like Billings. A solid player but will not live up to his draft pick.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 3:40pm
Yep, Hunter was probably drinking his meals through a straw for 3 or 4months last year yet posters want to put s*** on him for his body shape.
I'm not particularly worried about his body shape & he has some class but hasn't IMO reached the potential that a first rounder after 5 years in the system should. I'm not saying he's a dud or can't get to elite level but ATM after a couple of horrible injuries he a long way to go before he can get back to being the player we recruited him to be

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 10:46pm
I'm not particularly worried about his body shape & he has some class but hasn't IMO reached the potential that a first rounder after 5 years in the system should. I'm not saying he's a dud or can't get to elite level but ATM after a couple of horrible injuries he a long way to go before he can get back to being the player we recruited him to be
Mmnn...
that's the horrible question, isn't it.

he has the talent and the balls.

So unluckly, that he copped those smashings.

I dearly hope we haven't lost him to the wolves.

After reading about hammies and long lay offs, I hope it isn't a lame hammy - like a bridge too far (hammy too far) - that does him in.

MInd, he was probably (speculation) marked as a potential mid while serving time on the HB flank. THen we discovered Sincs and Hill as rebounders, and DMac (who is surely our 'most improved player' in '22, on the wing, and perhaps - tho not convinced yet - Wood on the other wing...so Hunter has become, suddenly, a midfielder who is drastically underdone. I am hoping it is his class that shines through the fog of war, and gets him to the space he could have. go Hunter!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 6:56pm I bet he can bench 50kgs. Easy money. Stupid comment.
Correct it was a ridiculous call.

Some peoples body shape doesn’t change no matter the body of work they do.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Body shape? Pfft. That Lachie Whitfield fella goes alright. So does Zac Butters.

Clark will never be a bulked up muscleman, but the strengths he has are traits that are lacking in our team (evasive skills and great vision).

People forget some of his excellent performances at halfback before he had his face smashed in. he saved our arses quite few times when the heat was really on.

He's had two significant injuries. One where he was drinking out of a straw for a couple of months afterward, hence significant weight loss, and then shoulder damage that kept him away from upper body work in the gym for months.

The way people write young players off on here is disturbing. It's seem there's a determination to stick the boots into a player if he is not performing like a star.

Hunter Clark will be a very good player for us. He's missed a lot of footy due to injuries that would have rocked his confidence. If you hadn't noticed, these guys are human, so when they have these significant set backs, people should be far more understanding and give them some time to get back to their best. Clark had his first game back and yes, he looked cooked after quarter time. It was a below par performance in a game where 19 of his team mates were well below par, as well. Does that warrant people writing him off because of his body shape? It's just completely bonkers.

I don't mind players being criticised for having poor skills, but body shaming a player is just not on.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Geez, it was his first game back for the season. Chill out, you nerds!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saynta get with the program, the days of wiring your jaw closed went out in the 60's. The fact that he had so much down time makes him look worse, that he didnt apply himself in the gym over that period. I have had a similiar broken jaw and apart from a bit a swelling after surgery you can carry on as normal. Stop being an apologist for players with obvious flaws...

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 24 Jun 2022 5:58pm
Saynta get with the program, the days of wiring your jaw closed went out in the 60's. The fact that he had so much down time makes him look worse, that he didnt apply himself in the gym over that period. I have had a similiar broken jaw and apart from a bit a swelling after surgery you can carry on as normal. Stop being an apologist for players with obvious flaws...
One could have said the same thing about one of the club’s famous sons, Trevor Barker!

So he doesn’t have the most muscular physique. Well, better that than being overweight, imo. If he needs to bulk up, I’m sure the club will be making sure he lifts some weights and eats the right food. No AFL clubs tolerate players not towing the line these days!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 8:05pm So: not strong, not fast, not so tall, no leap of note, not a great kick, as far as I can tell not much of a tackler. Why is he playing.
Have injuries done for him?

What, do you accept as fact, anything that keyboard warriors say in denigration of young saints players? :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 11:00pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 6:56pm I bet he can bench 50kgs. Easy money. Stupid comment.

Michael Tuck comes to mind. He was a pretty good footballer.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I still can't believe after Hunter's jaw was smashed, the AFL's processes approved of the method used to break his jaw.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 23 Jun 2022 11:00pm

That is incorrect.

What we are not aware of is Hunters skin folds and muscle mass on arrival and where he is now.

Visually he does not look muscled, toned and in great shape so judgment is passed.

Look at nana arms Crouch, does not look toned or muscular.

Steele Sidebottom is notorious for hating weights and the gym but is a brilliant runner.

The gym look can be deceptive to wha the EP’s work on with Hunter. For example he may have had core weakness or issues and they have spent the time building this not having him do arm curls.

His body will have changed and developed with 5 years in the system, he’s just not a guy with huge quads, pecs and biceps that are very visual in a footy jumper.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s NOT about being big!!!!!

It’s about being lean and carrying no fat!

Whether he’s 75kg or 95kg that’s fine, it’s the condition he’s in!

Lachie Whitfield is lean, and is an elite runner who covers the ground effortlessly

Hunter labours - he is not AFL fit imo - which makes him a fraction slow

Very good player though. Courageous as f***! Good with footy in hand!

Get fitter 15-20 becomes 20-25

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Reminds me of the fitness levels of NDS pre when Lyon told him to get a fkn AFL body

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Liam Ryan from Fremantle is a classic example of a kid who was match thin when recruited he would have struggled to be 60kgs. In 3 years he has built himself into a decent sized small forward, who now has the strength to hold his own in contests.

Clark has not changed in the 5 years he has been at the club. I blame the club as much as the kid for allowing him to continue with that lack of a profesional footballing frame. Its stinks of mediocrity on a lot of fronts..

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Liam Ryan is not at Fremantle

Luke Ryan is, however he doesn’t play forward