Sharman's goal in the last Q

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Sharman's goal in the last Q

It was one of the best kicks for goal I have ever seen. The skill this guy has is incredible. Once he gets 50 games under his belt he will be a superstar.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sharman's goal in the last Q

At this stage Sharman potentially has some flaws.

I think they relate to both his athletic and aerobic ability or that's the impression i got watching him in the Adelaide game.
I'd like to ask Mr Walsh if i'm correct or were his efforts on the weekend only a small sample size.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s easy to forget how young and inexperienced Coops actually is.

Very definition of a developing player and there’s a bit to like there IMO. Hope he gets a decent run at it

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Player kicks goal from beyond 50 .... automatic superstar

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

He was all set to mark and goal in the first quarter until some big bloke with a moustache jumped in front of him.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
older saint
SS Life Member

I think from a small sample size he has a good feel for the game and is skilled.
The difference seems to be moving from SANFL fitness and repeat efforts to AFL standard.
This only generally occurs over a couple pre seasons - with exceptions being guys like a Hayes who has to be flat out to achieve everything. Skilled players as a general rule can take a bit longer to learn the extra effort needed as before skill was enough.

Has the potential to be a Bruest type player but a long way to go and not in best 22 IMO at the moment

SunnyErnie
Club Player

older saint wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 2:13pm I think from a small sample size he has a good feel for the game and is skilled.
The difference seems to be moving from SANFL fitness and repeat efforts to AFL standard.
This only generally occurs over a couple pre seasons - with exceptions being guys like a Hayes who has to be flat out to achieve everything. Skilled players as a general rule can take a bit longer to learn the extra effort needed as before skill was enough.

Has the potential to be a Bruest type player but a long way to go and not in best 22 IMO at the moment
If he gets a block of 5 games he will prove that he is best 22

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He will possibly get another chance this weekend with Higgins unavailable. There’s something there to work with for sure. Can take a good mark and has an innate goal sense. The rest is going to be confidence and hard work.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The statistically challenged should learn the difference between sample size and population.

The total number of games played is the population. It is not the sample size which is used in surveys to make inferences about a population from the sample.

Statistics 101.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 12:43am At this stage Sharman potentially has some flaws.

I think they relate to both his athletic and aerobic ability or that's the impression i got watching him in the Adelaide game.
I'd like to ask Mr Walsh if i'm correct or were his efforts on the weekend only a small sample size.
I think you're being incredibly hard on him. He's packed up his life mid-year in 2021 (after never having done an AFL pre-season) and found himself under a new fitness guy at St Kilda who reportedly left nothing in the tank with our group (thank God for that as the previous bloke didn't seem to). So, he's basically gone from nothing to everything in the space of 6 months.

He played a few games last year and showed he has the raw tools to be an excellent 3rd marking forward option - all basically done on pure talent. Given he would've spent the Summer learning leading patterns with Membrey and Kind etc - I though he acquitted himself very well on Sat night with limited opportunities.

I generally dislike listening to Dermott Brereton on anything but, he made specific mention last week on SEN that Sharman is every bit in the same bracket as Larkey, Oscar Allen etc as a 3rd forward option.

Give him a run of 4-6 games in a row this season and then judge him.

Go you red, black & white warriors
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 1:19am Player kicks goal from beyond 50 .... automatic superstar
Based on that criteria this guy must have been multiple All Australian, B&F and a Brownlow medalist :wink:

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 3:19pm
Wayne42 wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 12:43am At this stage Sharman potentially has some flaws.

I think you're being incredibly hard on him. He's packed up his life mid-year in 2021 (after never having done an AFL pre-season) and found himself under a new fitness guy at St Kilda who reportedly left nothing in the tank with our group (thank God for that as the previous bloke didn't seem to). So, he's basically gone from nothing to everything in the space of 6 months.

He played a few games last year and showed he has the raw tools to be an excellent 3rd marking forward option - all basically done on pure talent. Given he would've spent the Summer learning leading patterns with Membrey and Kind etc - I though he acquitted himself very well on Sat night with limited opportunities.

I generally dislike listening to Dermott Brereton on anything but, he made specific mention last week on SEN that Sharman is every bit in the same bracket as Larkey, Oscar Allen etc as a 3rd forward option.

I also think that the concept of development seems to vary far too much from person to person…
The freakish players like Callum Wilkie come into the side and look like they’ve always belonged there but the majority of players tend to get better over time and especially with experience.

We all like the idea of a player that can come in as a 20 and suddenly take freakish marks and kick 2-3 goals a week.

Membrey didn’t set the world on fire right away and King certainly had critics early on… so to me, why would be expect Coops off limited prep to be a just add water instant forward.

This is development. Right now is the part that has to happen if he is to get better over time. Heck look at Sinclair and Steele… both dropped numerous times in their respective tenures before evolving into the players they’ve become now.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 4:29pm

I also think that the concept of development seems to vary far too much from person to person…
The freakish players like Callum Wilkie come into the side and look like they’ve always belonged there but the majority of players tend to get better over time and especially with experience.

We all like the idea of a player that can come in as a 20 and suddenly take freakish marks and kick 2-3 goals a week.

Membrey didn’t set the world on fire right away and King certainly had critics early on… so to me, why would be expect Coops off limited prep to be a just add water instant forward.

This is development. Right now is the part that has to happen if he is to get better over time. Heck look at Sinclair and Steele… both dropped numerous times in their respective tenures before evolving into the players they’ve become now.
How many players in the team that are "learning on the job" is the balancing act wouldn't you say? Having said that we've been forced to play more apprentices than is normally desirable this year and it's paid dividends in spades. We might get found out though as the season gets longer and days get colder.

On Sharman though I really hope he comes along quickly becaue I think we are establishing before our eyes this year that we are much better with a taller forward line, Max certainly looks better when he's got other talls dragging players away and our mids seem to be much better decision makers with their F50 entries.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 6:25pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 4:29pm

How many players in the team that are "learning on the job" is the balancing act wouldn't you say? Having said that we've been forced to play more apprentices than is normally desirable this year and it's paid dividends in spades. We might get found out though as the season gets longer and days get colder.

On Sharman though I really hope he comes along quickly becaue I think we are establishing before our eyes this year that we are much better with a taller forward line, Max certainly looks better when he's got other talls dragging players away and our mids seem to be much better decision makers with their F50 entries.
100%

IMO getting it right is the difference between good teams and exceptional ones... to compete whilst turning Windhager, NWM, Owens, Highmore, Bytel, Connolly, Byrnes etc into capable top 22 players
Investment in Sinclair has seen him go from good to elite
Battle seemingly had trade bait written all over him and is currently firmly top 22
Webster, Long, Butler, Coffield and Wood to name a few are players that have been under threat at one point or another but have all demonstrated that they can at least compete properly at the level and will either be in the top 22 or pushing hard to get back in should they be dropped.

It’s the bare minimum standard that you want players to reach and you need to give those that deserve it the opportunity to do it. It’s why I’ve always gotten easily frustrated playing experienced players when the underperform for sustained passages.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 3:02pm The statistically challenged should learn the difference between sample size and population.

The total number of games played is the population. It is not the sample size which is used in surveys to make inferences about a population from the sample.

Statistics 101.
Take that you keyboard warriors

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I kicked a goal from the 50mt line once, but otherwise I'm generally a very ordinary footballer.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Sharman is a low output player who is forgiven this by many Saints fans who won’t put up with the same level of output from other players: eg, Butler or Kent.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 9:18pm Sharman is a low output player who is forgiven this by many Saints fans who won’t put up with the same level of output from other players: eg, Butler or Kent.
I think that’s very harsh

Kent is 28, played 99 games, 91g
Butler is 25, played 95 games and kicked more goals and is very much in most people’s calculations even if they feel he deserves a spell

Coops is 21, played 8 games and kicked 12 so far - he doesn’t deserve the same level of scrutiny at this time

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
meher baba wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 9:18pm Sharman is a low output player who is forgiven this by many Saints fans who won’t put up with the same level of output from other players: eg, Butler or Kent.
I think that’s very harsh

Kent is 28, played 99 games, 91g
Butler is 25, played 95 games and kicked more goals and is very much in most people’s calculations even if they feel he deserves a spell

Coops is 21, played 8 games and kicked 12 so far - he doesn’t deserve the same level of scrutiny at this time
12 goals in 5 and a half games. He averages more goals than any player on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
B.M
Saintsational Legend

You need to do a bit more than kick a goal or 2 as a forward

As well as hitting the scoreboard you need to

Create goals for others, contest, defend, chase, present, harass etc

Membrey does a lot of those things

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Jeez Baba that's harsh. Sharman had played 6 games and is still a pup. What he's shown is enough to get excited about. An excellent prospect for a long term forward.
Kent is 28 and has had multiple seasons at two clubs to establish himself and he still hasn't

Give the young bloke a go. Crikey. 12 goals in 6 games is a pretty handy return.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 10:18pm You need to do a bit more than kick a goal or 2 as a forward

As well as hitting the scoreboard you need to

Create goals for others, contest, defend, chase, present, harass etc

Membrey does a lot of those things
Was he doing those things 6 games in?

saint6709
Club Player

Regarding the actual goal as per the OP it was a clutch goal at a critical time in the game

I can’t think of too many guys on the list you would rather give the ball to in that situation - given he’s only an 8 game player I think that says something

At this point I’m still on the bandwagon

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

st.byron wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 10:18pm
Jeez Baba that's harsh. Sharman had played 6 games and is still a pup. What he's shown is enough to get excited about. An excellent prospect for a long term forward.
Kent is 28 and has had multiple seasons at two clubs to establish himself and he still hasn't

Give the young bloke a go. Crikey. 12 goals in 6 games is a pretty handy return.
💯 I think Kent was a fringe player at the Demons even when they were rubbish.
He's not AFL level, never was, never will be.
Probably works as hard as anyone, but hasn't shown any signs at all.
He's in the same bucket as Trent Dennis-Lane and a bunch of others.
I reckon when he gets delisted, the next guy who gets his number and locker should look at the name and use that as motivation to bring pride to the number

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I reckon clubs would be queuing up to get a chance of trading Cooper in.
Keep playing the kid he will be one a gun.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi