Batch's Review: Carlton vs Sandringham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Batch's Review: Carlton vs Sandringham

Batch’s Review: Young Saints stars as Zebras take third straight https://www.saints.com.au/news/1134787

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Batch's Review: Carlton vs Sandringham

Pretty clear that Batch has a man crush on Owens and Heath. God bless him.

Future is bright with those two

Go you red, black & white warriors
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I initially thought it was Jack Watts :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Tom Highmore is a worry for me he has been so good but can't get a game . I don't know his contract status but I'm sure there are clubs out there that are willing to offer him some decent coin to move over . His intercept marking is as good as any AFL listed player IMO . Has a few things he needs to work on but I think he will be pretty handy & dare I say it but reminds me of a young Sam Fisher

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

There’s also Nick Coffield to come back in as well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Thank fk we finally have the right people in the footy development area. Love what Batchelor is doing at Sandringham

I reckon the recruiting has been fantastic in the last 5-6 years but prior to Batchelor our VFL results were crap. Obviously that had to be
a football development issue.

Cho was getting advice and relying on people like Aaron Hamill. Hamill was probably one of Cho’s anvils. Hopefully Aaron’s influence at Carlton will be the anchor that holds those pricks back too

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 10:42pm Tom Highmore is a worry for me he has been so good but can't get a game . I don't know his contract status but I'm sure there are clubs out there that are willing to offer him some decent coin to move over . His intercept marking is as good as any AFL listed player IMO . Has a few things he needs to work on but I think he will be pretty handy & dare I say it but reminds me of a young Sam Fisher
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-st-kilda-saints

Tom is one of 20 players on our list out of contract at years end.

10 of them had little to no value when we gave them their chance as rookies or DFA's and they now sit on the fringe of a finals playing list. The list is also grounded by young draft talent. Fortius Quo Fidelity. We should expect loyalty from them

There are some bigger names still unsigned but Geary is the only unrestricted free agent.

I think we can expect to lock away most of the ones we choose to and if Tom was to seek opportunities elsewhere, after we sign Battle, then so be it, but our development program would be the reason he was sought after and our recruiting team are very good, so Que Sera, Sera.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 11:10pm
bangaulegend wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 10:42pm Tom Highmore is a worry for me he has been so good but can't get a game . I don't know his contract status but I'm sure there are clubs out there that are willing to offer him some decent coin to move over . His intercept marking is as good as any AFL listed player IMO . Has a few things he needs to work on but I think he will be pretty handy & dare I say it but reminds me of a young Sam Fisher

10 of them had little to no value when we gave them their chance as rookies or DFA's and they now sit on the fringe of a finals playing list. The list is also grounded by young draft talent. Fortius Quo Fidelity. We should expect loyalty from them

There are some bigger names still unsigned but Geary is the only unrestricted free agent.

I think we can expect to lock away most of the ones we choose to and if Tom was to seek opportunities elsewhere, after we sign Battle, then so be it, but our development program would be the reason he was sought after and our recruiting team are very good, so Que Sera, Sera.
Loyalty is a great thing but opportunity & more money are another . Unless he gets some game time then you can't blame him for testing the water else where but seam's a waste IMO

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it’s interesting isn’t it

Byrnes, Owens, Highmore and Bytel can’t buy a game at the moment
Connolly was looking good early too though he’s slowed down a bit
And that’s been with Coffield and Clark on the shelf for the most part

Don’t want to disrupt a winning formula but geeez I’d like to see some of these guys rotate in and out more

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Like to see Clarke /Bytel in this week
Owens was impressive but kicking still a ?
Can Highmore play a Webster role?????
Keen to see Connolly go to the next level ….has footskills that can open a game up
Byrnes …..has a touch of headless chook about him to me….runs hard….racks them up….but does he hurt you ??

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

How do Geelong keep so many good players hanging on? Its all about culture. Its the same reason we have been getting raped for so long.
Player development and retention must be the priority.
We could do a Bulldogs and pull off an unlikely coup but 1 premiership lasts only so long.
Sandringham, and remotely Moorabbin, need to be become the Bayside Footy Factory and it appears we are well on our way to delivering that. Faith in the process rather than any individual needs to become our mantra.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Bytel needs to put a string of high performance games together. He's not a natural aerobic beast, so he has to run and spread as much as he can to build up his fitness. This is what's missing from his game. He can do the stoppage work, but without that ability to get from contest to contest he'll be struggling to get a look in.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He missed about a month of the preseason. It didn't help him

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sounds like Bytel is finally getting a tank, and as Jake said, asserting himself at VFL as if he is better than that level.
Byrnes also hammering the door down, but we missed Steele's extraction from stoppages last week, Bytel might be the one to fill that space.

We have a very strong pool of players now, it will require good management, but I expect to see a couple traded by years end...we need to get value for them.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
ace
Saintsational Legend

Before Sam got involved with drugs.
Sad for Sam, he could be facing a 20 year suspension.
Last edited by ace on Wed 25 May 2022 6:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Geary will not be required next year.
He will only play if there are a number of injuries.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 6:54pm

Geary will not be required next year.
He will only play if there are a number of injuries.
I agree. I thought that was widely agreed. But I was implying that no one important enough to reward would leave. Whether Geary plays or not, he won’t leave.