VFL R9 Carlton v Sandy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL R9 Carlton v Sandy

Blue baggers gifted two late goals from bulls*** frees.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 3:54pm Blue baggers gifted two late goals from bulls*** frees.
Seems like the Zebs & the the Saints have no love from the ump's this weekend but that's no surprise

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

At 3qtr time the Sandy coach told his players they were giving away too many frees, he told them to watch how they tackled.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 5:17pm At 3qtr time the Sandy coach told his players they were giving away too many frees, he told them to watch how they tackled.
Well there's no point talking to the umpires.

Crossy66
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 3:41pm anyone able to give a quick review of the Saints players games?
Cant watch today
Imho of course

Clark - going half pace, got heaps of if it with plenty of party tricks. Didn't do a lot defensively, but will be in next week. So much space, time and vision..

Byrnes very busy but just looks untidy
Bytel very good in and under and probably best placed to replace Steele around stoppages.
Owens busy, very willing, a few good grabs up forward, but disposal iffy for AFL imho. I would rather promote Bytel but think Ratts. Might go Owens.
Butler very average.
Lienert could easily slot in to the ones for jweb or Paton. Highmore same but probably more Battles understudy.

Lots to like about heath and Allison too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 5:17pm At 3qtr time the Sandy coach told his players they were giving away too many frees, he told them to watch how they tackled.
I am talking about no prior opportunity and the saints player being illegally mauled...over the shoulder even.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Where was Kent?

Serious question

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 6:52pm
I am talking about no prior opportunity and the saints player being illegally mauled...over the shoulder even.
I'm talking about the possible reason for the free kick discrepancy up to 3/4 time.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Defenders day out.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1133173/ ... blues-late

CARLTON 4.3 6.6 7.9 9.11 (65)
SANDRINGHAM 1.2 5.7 7.11 9.15 (69)

GOALS
Carlton: Dow 2, Boyd, Cahill, Crocker, Handley, Philp, Trudgeon, Williamson
Sandringham: Heath 3, Allison 2, Owens 2, Butler, Lok

BEST
Carlton: Dow, Boyd, Williamson, Setterfield, Trudgeon, Fogarty
Sandringham: Highmore, Byrnes, Lienert, Bytel, Campbell, Clark, Geary, Joyce, Heath

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Firstly how nice is it to have a competitive VFL side creating a winning environment for our developing kids. Sandi now also 5th on the ladder. Just imagine how good they could be if we had an entire list fit and firing.

Its interesting how stats affect peoples perception of how players went. For me Byrnes & Highmore were clearly our best. I thought Bytel struggled. Carlton had a number of AFL midfielders and their stoppage clearance work and spread made Bytel look 2nd rate. He has a long way to go before we can expect Bytel having an impact at AFL level.

Byrnes was the 'energy bunny' today, he worked his backside off and his stats showed that.
Highmore was almost impassable in the air, most of Carltons goals came from their smalls.
Heath will be an absolute superstar when he fully matures - 3 excellent goals and should have had another.
Lienert is just a class above VFL I would find a place for him in the AFL team even if its on a wing.
Owens didnt have the huge clearance game we are used to, but still had an impact and kicked two important goals in the 3rd.
Connolly looks like he has teamed up with Clark in the gym, has lost all upper body conditioning. He still gave plenty of drive at times.
Bytel got plenty of touches but had zero impact IMO. I think he got tagged today but he struggled against the mobile opposition.
Clark looked like he didnt get out of 3rd gear all day and I wouldnt be rushing him back, unless we have injuries.
Butler did a couple of nice things when shifted for short stints through the middle, but muffed too many opportunities forward.
Geary & Joyce both solid without being outstanding.
Campbell just gives Sandi a competitive ruckman and big body around the ground.
Allison finished the game forward and had 5 shots on goals with 2 goals & 2 behinds, one from a solid contested mark.
Peris had very little impact with or without the ball today.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Amazing review impatient- thank you, I truly appreciate it

I found this article too. What I am most excited about is it feels like as a club we’re really building depth and it’s depth made up of quality

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/22/ ... in-sunday/

#1 Ryder fan
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Watched the first half. Didn’t see much of Bytel, but Clark looked a class above VFL level … which he is. He never looks like he gets out of third gear. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t come in this week.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 22 May 2022 9:56pm, edited 2 times in total.

on the outer
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 6:53pm Where was Kent?

Serious question
From team sheets among the outs.

D Kent, J Kyle (managed)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Clark was probably told, 'FFS, don't get yourself killed out there, it's just a training drill.'

axcellence
Club Player

Max Heath was BOG because of his forward presence and goals.
The team overall tackled aggressively. Just seem to be running out games better than their opponents.

Clark should come in. Had time to burn.

Leinert and Campbell were both good as well.

Geary was also in good touch. Allison showed some sticky hands as a forward. Worth perservering with him locked to a position.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Butler flat as a pancake?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So Bytel beaten .... had no impact .... yet had 26 possessions and 8 tackles

Where did he get his possessions?

Surely must have had some impact

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Crossy66
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 4:40am So Bytel beaten .... had no impact .... yet had 26 possessions and 8 tackles

Was good in close, quick hands dishing it out. Maybe not so much an outside game. I think he adds a bit of what was missing against the Crows.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 4:40am So Bytel beaten .... had no impact .... yet had 26 possessions and 8 tackles

He was more than just OK. Haters will hate.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Most were inclose and scrappy, he simply doesnt have the tools to give himself room to use the ball cleanly. Carlton via Dow, Williamson etc just marched out of the centre and provided overlap run coming out of defence. Bytel just couldnt go with them or impact the game when in transition. He is another version of Dunstan, can win the ball on the ground.

Its not about hating Saynta, its about being realistic about a players capacities and how they played. Thats not to say he cant improve because many players do, but he needs to work on his 'instinctive movements' when he wins the ball to give himself room. That plus his running capacities on the spread got really exposed against Carltons quality VFL midfielders. Id bet my left nut thats the exact feedback he would be getting from Batchelor and Ratten etc.

There is no doubting he has the ability to win the ball and pressure in close, but its about what he does with the ball and his work without the ball on the spread that will decide whether he makes it at AFL level or not. He is a better kick than Dunstan but very much plays in a similiar manner.

saints4eva
Club Player

on the outer wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 9:50pm
terry smith rules wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 6:53pm Where was Kent?

Serious question
From team sheets among the outs.

D Kent, J Kyle (managed)
Kent was working with the rehab guy on Friday. Had a massive bandage on his knee.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 12:18pm

Most were inclose and scrappy, he simply doesnt have the tools to give himself room to use the ball cleanly. Carlton via Dow, Williamson etc just marched out of the centre and provided overlap run coming out of defence. Bytel just couldnt go with them or impact the game when in transition. He is another version of Dunstan, can win the ball on the ground.

Its not about hating Saynta, its about being realistic about a players capacities and how they played. Thats not to say he cant improve because many players do, but he needs to work on his 'instinctive movements' when he wins the ball to give himself room. That plus his running capacities on the spread got really exposed against Carltons quality VFL midfielders. Id bet my left nut thats the exact feedback he would be getting from Batchelor and Ratten etc.

There is no doubting he has the ability to win the ball and pressure in close, but its about what he does with the ball and his work without the ball on the spread that will decide whether he makes it at AFL level or not. He is a better kick than Dunstan but very much plays in a similiar manner.
Disagree...violently. It is hate imhfo, dislike if you prefer.but you belittle him anyway. Not a new thing either.

Crossy66
Club Player

Perhaps it's more difficult to pick up what he does in a pack if you watched on the telly.
17 CONTESTED possessions.
Very quick hands and neat kick with both feet and tackles hard.
Maybe fitness level and spread both ways would be the only possible question marks...maybe.
If we can win contested footy, we are a better side and both Clark and Bytel are very good contested players.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think you stopped watching at half time mate. Bytel was rarely out of screen shot in the 2nd half and the Bluebaggers spent all their chips in the 1st half.

Dow and Williamson are soft, outside footballers and the space they found in the first quarter was shut down quickly with zone structures across the middle and half back as both teams started circle work trying to avoid the zones, that we forced. Lienert, Highmore and Joyce were impressive.

Dow had 24 touches and 2.1, three minutes into the 3rd and was all but completely shut down after that. Soft as butter under pressure.

Bytel just got better as the game went on and he and Watson shut the Blues mids down, while Clark, Byrnes, Connolly and McHale created run off the rebound and through zones. We took control of the pace of the game while they had the faster team.

Bytel tackled (8) and harassed at stoppages, when he wasn't in and under in clearance work, (5) mostly by hand (15) and while he doesn't always get the last possession in a clearance chain, he gets his hands on the ball often and uses his body well. He didn't feature in many centre bounces. Clearly the role he was asked to play with the AFL in mind. Our stoppage clearances are where we are weakest.

He also linked through zones and played the corners of the centre square, following the play, as Carlton tried to circle around the zone defence and forward pressure. Sandy's gameplan is finally aligning with ours, now we have more experienced players available and its shows. The coaches have recruited with a mid of developing young players in the VFL, that is clear.

Most of his kicks (11) came in the second half, in general play. Finally, he looks fit and is playing out games. He was instrumental in turning the game around and played his role well.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

No I watched it all CQ - footy and forums are a subjective topic, I have no problem with that and respect your opinion. I played and coached for 30 years at a reasonable level so I believe I see the game pretty well, but I am not that conceited to believe that others dont notice things in players and games that I dont.

I know that has been the perception of Paddy Dow but on Sunday he thought he was very good inside and out.

Saynta just cant stand anyone commenting on our players, whether its constructive or not. He carries on like its some kind of 'hate crime' and takes others opinions on players like its some kind of affront on him personally.

I just want the best for our kids and want to see them all get the best out of themselves and become the best players they can for our club.