Changes v North

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v North

loris wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 7:55pm
Laurie wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 5:31pm Billings will keep his spot matchwinner for us we need him in the side elite left footer.
BOOM BOOM
Am I missing something? What does BOOM BOOM mean at the end of all your posts????
It reminds me of Ugly Dave Gray. So I guess it indicates punchlines, or in a modern sense, 'drop the mic' moments.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

I know this is not like for like but Highmore in for NWM. He is killing it in the VFL so I believe should be rewarded. He could take Paton's spot and Paton can go to the wing. Paton 186cm and Highmore 193cm. The other change I would make is Clark 186cm for Windy 185cm.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Crossy66
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 9:33am I know this is not like for like but Highmore in for NWM. He is killing it in the VFL so I believe should be rewarded. He could take Paton's spot and Paton can go to the wing. Paton 186cm and Highmore 193cm. The other change I would make is Clark 186cm for Windy 185cm.
You might be on to something. North wouldn't see that coming

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think NWM will go out as he needs to improve his defensive game a bit, but it will happen. Sharman should stay in as I think he drags another taller defender away from deep forward, and is going to have a day pretty soon where he slots a few. I don't think Owens is quite ready and not sure about Clark being fully fit for seniors, but who knows.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 10:27am I think NWM will go out as he needs to improve his defensive game a bit, but it will happen. Sharman should stay in as I think he drags another taller defender away from deep forward, and is going to have a day pretty soon where he slots a few. I don't think Owens is quite ready and not sure about Clark being fully fit for seniors, but who knows.
I wonder how they decide in cases like NWM.

Because what is the obvious benefit of him learning a,b,c in the reserves where there is less pressure and high end trucks going on..
he is super skilled. Beaded on getting the most out of him in the shortest amount of time possible, you’d keep him in. But it is not about that. It is about getting four points. And then there is North Melbourne. I’d be inclined to keep him in..unless his confidence is getting a battering.

As for Highmore. I thought he was better than Webster, but the good folks here tell me Webster is better in the air. And that Highmore is slow in executing kicks , or twists or something like that. Dunno. But Webster is another great trier.

Sharman didn’t do much apart from take a nice mark and kick a ripper goal, from what I can tell.

I can’t see how Highmore should be out because of Battle and Webster, but all are great, As for Long, if anyone else was getting those numbers ..say no ,ore, yet I suspect he’s still playing his part and is remarkably calm and poised.

Bytel and Burns seem like second tier nowadays, passed by the new boys.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Although Sharman had an average game I'd be keeping him in side for the time being. As alluded to above, his role is or should be to drag a tall defender away from King and/or one of our floating rucks.

Not only does our forward line look much better with an extra tall, our midfield movement into F50 seems to he much more deciscive when we have tall options separated and leading in different directions.

Bytel is the man we need to step up now, and desperately in the absence of Steele. We will get smashed in the middle by the good teams until Steele gets back....or Bytel steps up.

We got found out by the Crows through the middle and we're saved by having slightly more experience and class in that department however I feel we will be overwhelmed by the top 4 sides through the middle without Steele. It's an area of the ground we still lack some depth. How handy would Hanners in the side be right now.

Saintmike65
Club Player

We must be careful making too many judgements in just the Crows game.
Reality is we had a lot of players below their normal output.
Higgins back in is a monte…I think we need more midfield options, would like to see Clark and Owens in.
Owens is a big body that can also impact forward, even if it’s as the medical sub!
Although he didn’t do a lot, Sharman is important to our structure, with his mobility, smarts and ability to hit the scoreboard important.
That clutch goal he kicked outside 50 in the last quarter was gold.
I honestly doubt either Paton or Webster will be dropped.
NWM doesn’t get a lot of it but is gaining confidence and is so damaging with his foot skills, he along with Sinclair can open the game up beautifully.
A special mention to Crouch, thought he was outstanding playing against his old side in hostile territory!!

older saint
SS Life Member

I actually wonder each week when we do this if it is change for change sake sometimes?

I think the Like for Like thing is what we have seen all year and also what good teams do as it has a player coming in who knows exactly what the role in the system is.

That being said Clark is easily in our best 22 and 2 games back will be right to go (week break after is actually good as second up from injury usually the harder game). being a mid rotation player means he can slide/rest forward providing a bit more flexibility.
Under pressure would be Sharman and probably Long IMO.
Brynes is pushing hard, Butler back from injury and Highmore which is great but who hasn't performed well enough and therefore "deserves " to be dropped? Definitely not down back IMO , as mentioned perhaps Long and Sharman under most pressure . Long would be stiff ( and i am far from a believer though). Easy to say to who to bring in but IMO harder to justify who to drop on performance.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 11:21am I actually wonder each week when we do this if it is change for change sake sometimes?

I think the Like for Like thing is what we have seen all year and also what good teams do as it has a player coming in who knows exactly what the role in the system is.

That being said Clark is easily in our best 22 and 2 games back will be right to go (week break after is actually good as second up from injury usually the harder game). being a mid rotation player means he can slide/rest forward providing a bit more flexibility.
Brynes is pushing hard, Butler back from injury and Highmore which is great but who hasn't performed well enough and therefore "deserves " to be dropped? Definitely not down back IMO , as mentioned perhaps Long and Sharman under most pressure . Long would be stiff ( and i am far from a believer though). Easy to say to who to bring in but IMO harder to justify who to drop on performance.
Someone posted a nice review of the Sandy game here, and based on it alone, Clark is not ready.

Lienert and Highmore should be in too, based on that report.

older saint
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 12:16pm
older saint wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 11:21am I actually wonder each week when we do this if it is change for change sake sometimes?

Someone posted a nice review of the Sandy game here, and based on it alone, Clark is not ready.

Lienert and Highmore should be in too, based on that report.
May be the case but with all respect to the author what we watch and what coaches want to see are 2 very different things.
Perhaps Lienert and Highmore are playing well enough to be in but do you break up the 3rd best defence on points against ( and still haven't player 2 worst offensive teams) in the AFL?
Lienert and Highmore left the door open at various stages in pre season or during the season and as much as they are playing well someone needs to be playing poorly enough to be dropped and I just don't see it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Chris Cavanagh from the Herald Sun guesses...

IN: Clark & Highmore

OUT: Long & Webster

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 2:39pm Chris Cavanagh from the Herald Sun guesses...

I think it is a monty that one or both of Higgins and Butler will be in the Ins.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I posted on another thread, my controversial suggestions are:

IN: Higgins (if ready), Clark, Butler, Owens
OUT: Sharman, NWM, Long, Windhager

Higgins is a regular first team player. Sharman is ok, but Higgins is better.

Clark for NWM seems logical to me. We had a surplus of outside players against the Crows. Clark can play outside and inside.

Butler for Long. We desperately need a defensive forward: the ball is coming out of our opponents’ backline too easily too often. Long has all the capabilities required for the role, but he doesn’t deliver. But he should be the medical sub.

Owens for Windhager. We were under strength in the middle against the Crows IMO. Sinclair isn’t the answer. One of Bytel or Owens would appear to be, and the club appears to prefer Owens. Windhager to go: he’s unlucky, but the club isn’t going to drop any of the other mugs.

Highmore and Byrnes are dead unlucky not getting games, but there’s no place for either of them ATM. Dropping Webster seems a crazy idea to me: he might make a few mistakes under serious pressure, but he is a strong contributor to our high-performing backline.
Last edited by meher baba on Tue 24 May 2022 3:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 2:46pm
Ghost Like wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 2:39pm Chris Cavanagh from the Herald Sun guesses...

I think it is a monty that one or both of Higgins and Butler will be in the Ins.
Possibly saynta but I must admit I was surprised to see Butler playing for Sandy. Surprised by the fact I expected more rest / treatment for his Achilles.

Similarly I'd like them to give Higgins more rest as this is his 2nd incident this season & another missed AFL game gives him another fortnight.

I would think Byrnes or Michito are more likely to be rewarded but cannot see that many changes happening or the need for that many changes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I personally would liketo see Owens ,Highmore and Bytel be given a run in the seniors because they are all capable of becoming regulars but like you, I can't see many changes being made.

A difficult but happy situation for the selectors to be in.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Lienert
Webster
Highmore

and dare I say,

Battle

2 positions
4 capable players

Sharman
Members
Wood
(Hayes)

1-2 positions
3 players

Butler
Higgins

1-2 positions

Long
Kent
NWM
Gears
1-2 positions

Bytel
Byrnes
Tow ball
(Steele)
Ctrouch
Ross
Windy

4 positions

Connolly
Owens
(What category?)

Munich Beer Garden
1 position
Hannas

I loads of sevicable players…
Rotation ??

I think we ought to follow those training black and white jumpers for clues.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Higgins to miss another week.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 4:43pm Higgins to miss another week.
Surely Butler is now a certainty. One of Long or Sharman gets a reprieve. I’d go with Long, but there seems to be a lot of love for Sharman around the club. They’re both low output players, so it probably doesn’t matter much.
Last edited by meher baba on Tue 24 May 2022 5:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Covid?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 5:30pmCovid?
So it would seem. But then the official injury list says concussion.

It makes sense to give him an extra fortnight. His situation is really tricky: I’m not so sure he should be playing football at all, so he certainly shouldn’t be rushed back.

- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 5:30pmCovid?
Yes that is how they assign being out with Covid.

""
Jack Higgins is making good progress in his recovery from concussion, however it will be the AFL’s Health and Safety protocols that will preclude him from action in Round 11.""

Personally it is probably a good thing as that gives him a 3 week break after his concussion and will be back for Lions where we will need him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Thought so. Just the funny wording threw me for a moment.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I think the AFL article is saying he had to isolate but that delayed him completing the concussion protocols. So he’s officially out with concussion.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

So norf had a solid hit out against Melbourne, gave their all and died in the ass. They have had a shocker of a week already and I smell blood. With our superior fitness and talent if we finally figure out how to start well I think 150 point win is possible