Sam Fisher story in Herald Sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Fisher story in Herald Sun

There is a great article in today's Herald sun quoting Rooy's ideas on the Fisher saga for those who subscribe online or buy the paper. Worth the read.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It's interesting the claims for the AFL & AFLPA to do more? I don't get that. For those (non AFL) addicted or those caught in a spiralling world of money owed, pressures, bad choices, inconvenient friendships and bad debts, I don't see any of their employers, sponsors or Associations or Unions being asked to do more.

For example, if concreters get caught up in meth or ice use, Boral isn't being held to account or spotlighted. Same with coppers, no one calls on the Police Association to be accountable to them and do more. Stockbrokers, lawyers, bankers, their employers and unions are not being asked to do more. Is that an answer? I don't think so. Is that even an intervention or simply a cover up, a PR exercise?

Local footy, especially country footy seems to have some issues with illicit drugs - It's too big an issue for those Associations to be held to account.

When did Fisher become a user?

Who enabled his drug use?

When did family, friends, team mates become aware of his addiction?

The likes of Fisher & Cousins are high profile examples of users being supported by those choosing to ignore or cover up their plight whilst they are playing reasonable football.

Families and partners are left to suffer in silence and become additional victims, arguably the real victims, victims without choice.

It seems that anytime we search for an answer to this we end with more questions, more scapegoats and more excuses.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 12:14pm It's interesting the claims for the AFL & AFLPA to do more? I don't get that. For those (non AFL) addicted or those caught in a spiralling world of money owed, pressures, bad choices, inconvenient friendships and bad debts, I don't see any of their employers, sponsors or Associations or Unions being asked to do more.

For example, if concreters get caught up in meth or ice use, Boral isn't being held to account or spotlighted. Same with coppers, no one calls on the Police Association to be accountable to them and do more. Stockbrokers, lawyers, bankers, their employers and unions are not being asked to do more. Is that an answer? I don't think so. Is that even an intervention or simply a cover up, a PR exercise?

Local footy, especially country footy seems to have some issues with illicit drugs - It's too big an issue for those Associations to be held to account.

The likes of Fisher & Cousins are high profile examples of users being supported by those choosing to ignore or cover up their plight whilst they are playing reasonable football.

Families and partners are left to suffer in silence and become additional victims, arguably the real victims, victims without choice.

It seems that anytime we search for an answer to this we end with more questions, more scapegoats and more excuses.
I must admit I found myself squirming while listening to Roo discuss his ideas on "On The Couch".

I couldn't quite get my head around Garry Lyons line of questioning to Roo and what he or the leadership group from over 10 years ago could do or have done let alone play any type of role in Sam's current legal fight.

No question I think close family and friends should be getting around Sam but I'm just not sure it's a problem football clubs are equipped to solve.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 12:30pm
Ghost Like wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 12:14pm It's interesting the claims for the AFL & AFLPA to do more? I don't get that. For those (non AFL) addicted or those caught in a spiralling world of money owed, pressures, bad choices, inconvenient friendships and bad debts, I don't see any of their employers, sponsors or Associations or Unions being asked to do more.

I must admit I found myself squirming while listening to Roo discuss his ideas on "On The Couch".

I couldn't quite get my head around Garry Lyons line of questioning to Roo and what he or the leadership group from over 10 years ago could do or have done let alone play any type of role in Sam's current legal fight.

No question I think close family and friends should be getting around Sam but I'm just not sure it's a problem football clubs are equipped to solve.
As you alluded to in relation to "the war", it's certainly not one football clubs are equipped to solve, nor should they be. It's not one family and friends are equipped to solve, they are collateral damage in this "war".

Whether it's a "war", a self prophecy or a plague, it certainly effects millions and that alone is reason to not give up on it. Greater minds than ours are at a loss or an impasse of ideas to rid ourselves of it.

Legalising it will not help because governments will simply tax it into being illegal again, as they've proven with tobacco. I can't remember the last time I sat in a pub with smokers and saw a cigarette packet on the table with government warnings. Seems a lot of (once) law abiding citizens are buying illegal tobacco because they cannot afford the government taxed kind.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 12:58pm
As you alluded to in relation to "the war", it's certainly not one football clubs are equipped to solve, nor should they be. It's not one family and friends are equipped to solve, they are collateral damage in this "war".

Whether it's a "war", a self prophecy or a plague, it certainly effects millions and that alone is reason to not give up on it. Greater minds than ours are at a loss or an impasse of ideas to rid ourselves of it.

Legalising it will not help because governments will simply tax it into being illegal again, as they've proven with tobacco. I can't remember the last time I sat in a pub with smokers and saw a cigarette packet on the table with government warnings. Seems a lot of (once) law abiding citizens are buying illegal tobacco because they cannot afford the government taxed kind.
I'm don't know what the answer is however there are some progressive countries and governments that seem to be probing for an alternative to "war" -- and with some success. These governments have invested in scientific research towards understanding addiction and have made decisions on that basis.

So if this is an issue Roo believes needs championing then my advide to him would be about trying to understand addiction in a scientific and evidence based way and then that understanding being the cornerstone and basis for help and support to players who are not functioning in life successfully as a result of any type of addiction including booze, drugs and gambling.

Roos view that addiction is due to players leaving the game and not knowing how to cope is an over simplification of the addiction issue. Many players leave AFL and don't succumbed to addiction.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It is not only after they, the players, leave the game.

In the age Riewoldt is reported as saying that drug abuse is a ‘massive issue’ in AFL playing ranks

asiu
Saintsational Legend

mmmm

interesting discussion
... many 'aspects' to this story

one of them being

the 'addict' , self medicating , his 'pain'

Gabor Mate is the wisest listen out there
who is all over ... Addiction

a you-tube short ... 30 seconds ... cutting to the chase

https://youtube.com/shorts/YeoD9QJBJL4?feature=share

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Very interesting & simple asiu, thank you 🙏

Interesting one for those whose addictions become the pain and their reasons for indulging are not as clear cut to the point they cannot identify the beginning.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 3:58pm mmmm

interesting discussion
... many 'aspects' to this story

one of them being

the 'addict' , self medicating , his 'pain'

Gabor Mate is the wisest listen out there
who is all over ... Addiction

a you-tube short ... 30 seconds ... cutting to the chase

https://youtube.com/shorts/YeoD9QJBJL4?feature=share
Have you read the book Chasing the Scream by Johann Hari, it's a great read for those interested in the topic of addiction.

The story of Billie Holiday is also a fascinating one, I always thought the war on drugs was a Richard Nixon construct and popularised by Nancy Regan however it turns out it was some nasty person from the US government back in the 1930s who had it in for Billie Holiday because she was black.

Gabor nails it doesn't he.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

yep

he knows his subject matter
inside out n backwards

ace
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 10:26am no customers

no market
No customers
No market
No suppliers
No growers
No murderous gangs in latin america.

A good place to start would be Hollywood.
No more good behaviour bonds because they are in fake rehab.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Not sure Sam's legal representation would be too happy with the comments of Nick Reiwoldt if Sam has any desire to plead innocent.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 8:13pm Not sure Sam's legal representation would be too happy with the comments of Nick Reiwoldt if Sam has any desire to plead innocent.
Hopefully the facts of the case are more important to Fisher's legal team than what spills out of Roo's yap.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 8:20pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 8:13pm Not sure Sam's legal representation would be too happy with the comments of Nick Reiwoldt if Sam has any desire to plead innocent.
Hopefully the facts of the case are more important to Fisher's legal team than what spills out of Roo's yap.
Agreed!

Just thought Roo could have been a little more tactful given the gravity of Sam's legal situation.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 7:10pm
asiu wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 10:26am no customers

no market
No customers
No market
No suppliers
No growers
No murderous gangs in latin america.

A good place to start would be Hollywood.
No more good behaviour bonds because they are in fake rehab.
same here in Sincity
... the Eastern Suburbs is fuelled by the stuff

they run amok on it

thankfully , was never my poison
but i did get to watch a very talented mate of mine
lose his integrity through his thirties
'n turn into a see ya one day next week
on the marching powder

funnily
he touched base via text on chrissy day just past
... must be dying or lonely now that he's too old
to be impressing young dumb apprenticed coke whores
with his lines , his lines , his lies and self proclaimed singing sword

dunno

i'm all empty of idiot compassion

saynta
Saintsational Legend

There is a very interesting article in today's herald sun by the FF on Fisher going back to 2012 for those that subscribe or buy the paper. Well worth the read. Not that I am a fan of the FF.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 8:23pm
Agreed!

Just thought Roo could have been a little more tactful given the gravity of Sam's legal situation.
Totally agree with you. That points to Roo’s character and the fact that he thought it was more important defending himself rather than trying to say the right thing if (in any way - in any minuscule way) it might assist Chips.

Roo’s leadership and his decisions as captain were being questioned by the guys On The Couch. They didn’t point the finger, they asked the question after Roo talked about Sam’s ‘reputation’.

I have posted here on this forum that I don’t think Roo was the best captain for our team in the years after GT and Ross the boss. Not because of this issue or issues around illicit drugs but more so because we needed a leader who was prepared to sacrifice his game for the sake of the rebuild. He only realised his role around 2016 when Richo moved him up the ground to accommodate McCartin

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 26 May 2022 1:20pm
Agreed!

Totally agree with you. That points to Roo’s character and the fact that he thought it was more important defending himself rather than trying to say the right thing if (in any way - in any minuscule way) it might assist Chips.

Roo’s leadership and his decisions as captain were being questioned by the guys On The Couch. They didn’t point the finger, they asked the question after Roo talked about Sam’s ‘reputation’.

I have posted here on this forum that I don’t think Roo was the best captain for our team in the years after GT and Ross the boss. Not because of this issue or issues around illicit drugs but more so because we needed a leader who was prepared to sacrifice his game for the sake of the rebuild. He only realised his role around 2016 when Richo moved him up the ground to accommodate McCartin
Disagree with this thesis
And this Roo diss.

Sure, Rooey is of the a wooden Morman-like Bible badger type, reminding us of righteousness, but I think he is genuine. And he is speaking to a greater good here. It’s not all about footy, or St Kilda or even Sam F. It is about us reminding each other that life exists under the veneer of politics. He let a little bit of oxygen in. Fair enough. I have not doubt the inner fraternity of the footy-media boys club complex knows much, much more, and a certain tacit code or agreement means they just don’t ‘go there’ in public.. But it makes a culture…and a giant pressure kettle. Kind of thing Lance Armstrong was in….And eventually it goes pop.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Agreed!

I tend to agree about Roo and his compulsion to say anything publicly about Sam's current situation. It is not a footy issue and it just didn't feel right being discussed by him on a tabloid forum.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 26 May 2022 1:28pm
Agreed!

And this Roo diss.

Sure, Rooey is of the a wooden Morman-like Bible badger type, reminding us of righteousness, but I think he is genuine. And he is speaking to a greater good here. It’s not all about footy, or St Kilda or even Sam F. It is about us reminding each other that life exists under the veneer of politics. He let a little bit of oxygen in. Fair enough. I have not doubt the inner fraternity of the footy-media boys club complex knows much, much more, and a certain tacit code or agreement means they just don’t ‘go there’ in public.. But it makes a culture…and a giant pressure kettle. Kind of thing Lance Armstrong was in….And eventually it goes pop.
Yeah he was ‘genuine’

Genuinely standing on a pedestal…and genuinely pointing the finger at Sam, at the AFL and at the AFLPA

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I went and read the Sam Fisher thread on BigFooty.

Got nothing from it other than oneupmanship on who knows more ex players.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 26 May 2022 1:47pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 26 May 2022 1:28pm
Agreed!

And this Roo diss.

Yeah he was ‘genuine’

Genuinely standing on a pedestal…and genuinely pointing the finger at Sam, at the AFL and at the AFLPA
..fair enough then.

Fair play to him.

It is not his duty to protect Sam F, the culture etc., then.

He maybe naive and gullible too.

Like Llordo saying that the Essendon boys should drop Parker mid game.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SunnyErnie
Club Player

The best rehab for Chips is to to be offered a role down at Moorabbin.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 26 May 2022 2:05pm I went and read the Sam Fisher thread on BigFooty.

I keep telling posters om here that big footy is more like big crap. Peopled by misfits and posters who for one reason or another got the arse from here. It's garbage.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 26 May 2022 2:23pm
Wayne42 wrote: Thu 26 May 2022 2:05pm I went and read the Sam Fisher thread on BigFooty.

I keep telling posters om here that big footy is more like big crap. Peopled by misfits and posters who for one reason or another got the arse from here. It's garbage.
The people on BigFooty are very measured and down to earth. Just ask Joffaboy/Bunk_Moreland!!!

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus