Moorabbin Wing and Saintly Hymns

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Newman
Club Player

Moorabbin Wing and Saintly Hymns

Been a while since I've been to Marvel (based in Brisbane). I assume the Moorabbin Wing is still a vocal bunch on Level 3? If so. What's the best aisle to join them? What about the guys who brought out the Saintly Hymns songbook. Where are they usually based? I caught up with them in Cairns.

scuttleShake
Club Player

Re: Moorabbin Wing and Saintly Hymns

Matt Marsh and the rest of the choir preach at aisle 29 lvl 1.

outside66
Club Player

It would be nice if the cheersquad adopted some of the more simple chants from the aisle 29 bunch/saintly hymns. They would be the first cheersquad in the competition to do something different and it's only a matter of time before other clubs catch on so would be a shame if our cheersquad are still going with the generic "stkilda clap clap clap" when they've been given the red carpet to be more inventive!

minneapolis
Club Player

Serious question.

I am going to my first live game at Marvel in 20 years.

Can I buy a General Admission ticket and just sit anywhere (empty seats) after the game has started?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
scuttleShake
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Wed 18 May 2022 12:50pm It would be nice if the cheersquad adopted some of the more simple chants from the aisle 29 bunch/saintly hymns. They would be the first cheersquad in the competition to do something different and it's only a matter of time before other clubs catch on so would be a shame if our cheersquad are still going with the generic "stkilda clap clap clap" when they've been given the red carpet to be more inventive!
Got a lot of respect for our cheer squad but I'm not sure it's really their... style...
The hymns were passed out behind the goals for the Canberra game and a couple weren't having it.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't the cheer squads have restrictions placed on them by the AFL?
These days anything can be offensive , so " let's go saintas let's go " is probably AFL approved .

In red white and black from 73
outside66
Club Player

scuttleShake wrote: Thu 19 May 2022 11:53am
outside66 wrote: Wed 18 May 2022 12:50pm It would be nice if the cheersquad adopted some of the more simple chants from the aisle 29 bunch/saintly hymns. They would be the first cheersquad in the competition to do something different and it's only a matter of time before other clubs catch on so would be a shame if our cheersquad are still going with the generic "stkilda clap clap clap" when they've been given the red carpet to be more inventive!
Got a lot of respect for our cheer squad but I'm not sure it's really their... style...
The hymns were passed out behind the goals for the Canberra game and a couple weren't having it.
Yeah same here. I think they would get a lot more people involved if they branched out from the generic chants that every cheersquad in the comp do. That's disappointing to hear that they weren't well received in Canberra

outside66
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote: Thu 19 May 2022 12:17pm Doesn't the cheer squads have restrictions placed on them by the AFL?
These days anything can be offensive , so " let's go saintas let's go " is probably AFL approved .
I don't think there is anything offensive in the saintly hymns at all but you're probably right

outside66
Club Player

minneapolis wrote: Thu 19 May 2022 11:20am Serious question.

Can I buy a General Admission ticket and just sit anywhere (empty seats) after the game has started?
upstairs you can (in the non-reserved areas). Downstairs you can't but you might be able to sneak in and hope you're not in someones seat

scuttleShake
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Thu 19 May 2022 4:27pm

upstairs you can (in the non-reserved areas). Downstairs you can't but you might be able to sneak in and hope you're not in someones seat
For the quieter games (interstate teams?) they sometimes have a bay or two on level 1 open to GA, I think near the opposition cheer squad. It's displayed on the TVs overhead outside the aisle.
And yeah the staff start to snooze a bit after half time and get lax on the ticket checks so that's an option too if you don't mind risking the territorial types.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

The cheer squad suck to be honest. Aisle 29 is gold standard

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Ffs, this whole “Saintly hymns” thing gives me the major irrits!

The young beardy bloke from Saints TV podcast seems like a decent enough chap but ffs fella stop trying to make it something formal or official or whatever.

It’s a fringe activity, best performed by fringe types with belly loads of booze having a laugh.

This whole practice of taking known songs and twisting the lyrics to include Saints players names has its boozy roots at freezing cold, rain drenched, often losing St Kilda matches at Waverley in the 90s, and it was funny because it was stupid and fun and blurted out by a bunch of goons who didn’t give a rats arse about the cheer squad or Saintly hymn books of getting endorsed (or recorded) by the club, etc etc.

What is it with millennials and their want to have everything formalised and officalised and sanitised? …ffs, revel in your fringe-ness and stop whinging and whining about people who don’t partake, get on with it and have a laugh and keep the cheer squad, the club and song books well out if it!

You’re custodians of something with a history that predates most off your footy attending lives, stop trying to ruin it with your hokey desire to be loved and accepted, ffs it’s the footy equivalent of selling Ramone’s T-shirts at Target, it’s enough to make me puke!

Look again it's the Flash!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 8:26am Ffs, this whole “Saintly hymns” thing gives me the major irrits!

The young beardy bloke from Saints TV podcast seems like a decent enough chap but ffs fella stop trying to make it something formal or official or whatever.

It’s a fringe activity, best performed by fringe types with belly loads of booze having a laugh.

This whole practice of taking known songs and twisting the lyrics to include Saints players names has its boozy roots at freezing cold, rain drenched, often losing St Kilda matches at Waverley in the 90s, and it was funny because it was stupid and fun and blurted out by a bunch of goons who didn’t give a rats arse about the cheer squad or Saintly hymn books of getting endorsed (or recorded) by the club, etc etc.

What is it with millennials and their want to have everything formalised and officalised and sanitised? …ffs, revel in your fringe-ness and stop whinging and whining about people who don’t partake, get on with it and have a laugh and keep the cheer squad, the club and song books well out if it!

You’re custodians of something with a history that predates most off your footy attending lives, stop trying to ruin it with your hokey desire to be loved and accepted, ffs it’s the footy equivalent of selling Ramone’s T-shirts at Target, it’s enough to make me puke!
Where should Ramone's T-Shirts be sold?

loris
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 9:18am
The Linton Street Flash wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 8:26am Ffs, this whole “Saintly hymns” thing gives me the major irrits!

Who is Ramone?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 12:35pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 9:18am

Who is Ramone?
The Ramone’s, are for punk music, what Gerry Lee Lewis was, for RocknRoll.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I've seen a few hanging in the windows of Hipster cafes.
I've even see a few Hipsters wearing Ramones T-Shirts with skinny jeans and Docs, while sipping a quad-shot latte on moose milk. Target makes more sense I reckon.

minneapolis
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Thu 19 May 2022 4:27pm

Thanks guys.

After thinking about it, and having guests from Denmark who have never been to a game, I am going to buy full-price tickets.

Thanks for all your help.

We will watch the NM game on Sunday at Marvel. Saints - don't let me down.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
outside66
Club Player

ok boomer...

scuttleShake
Club Player

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Fri 20 May 2022 8:26am What is it with millennials and their want to have everything formalised and officalised and sanitised? …ffs, revel in your fringe-ness and stop whinging and whining about people who don’t partake, get on with it and have a laugh and keep the cheer squad, the club and song books well out if it!
Overreaction of the century.
Footy became sterilised perfectly well without the help of millennials old man. Hand it to the blokes who are actually trying to bring the fun back into it.