Trade - Draft Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade - Draft 2022 Discussion

from the herald sun.com.au
"AFL.

Victorian selectors have picked two talent-packed squads ahead of the start of the NAB AFL under-18 national championships.

Squads for Vic Metro and Vic Country have this week been confirmed, following final trial matches at Werribee last Sunday.

Brisbane father-son prospect and possible No. 1 draft pick Will Ashcroft headlines a Vic Metro line-up which includes significant top-end draft talent – as well as a few other famous names.

Essendon father-son prospect Alwyn Davey Jnr — the son of former Bomber Alwyn Davey — is also part of the Vic Metro squad.

A midfielder or forward, Davey caught the eye with 25 disposals and five clearances in a trial match against Vic Country last week.

Top-five draft prospects Elijah Tsatas and George Wardlaw – both talented midfielders from the Oakleigh Chargers – are also part of the Vic Metro squad.

Livewire Sandringham Dragons forward Harry Sheezel — who models his game on Greater Western Sydney’s Toby Greene — and fellow NAB AFL Academy members Luke Teal and Matthew Jefferson have also been named.

Early draft bolters Cam Mackenzie and Charlie Clarke were picked after starring in last week’s trial matches.

A St Kilda Next Generation Academy product, Mackenzie logged 32 disposals, eight clearances and a goal for Vic Metro in one of the two trial matches.

Clarke, a tough midfielder-forward who also hails from Sandringham Dragons, recorded 28 disposals, three clearances and a goal in the same match. "

saints66
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 07 May 2022 1:30pm

a Restricted Free Agent in De Goey?

He is in Bali partying

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 3:43am
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 07 May 2022 1:30pm

a Restricted Free Agent in De Goey?

He is in Bali partying
Whilst we are in Melbourne suffering...more.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Does how we finish this season impact how we trade / draft? I know it does but I'm wondering how much in terms of making the role of our recruiters easier in attracting players, particularly FA & RFAs. Personally I think we should hold our Rounds 1 & 2 draft picks.

Is this also part of the thought process in talking up extending Ratten? Perhaps Lade is the one in more need of better results as they may jettison him and seek a better credentialed mid-fwd transition coach. Perhaps time to bring Harvey home - add some pressure to Ratten.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The coaching group may well be part of the issue but i think the list build is the main issue. It's got a swiss cheese look about it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 4:12pm The coaching group may well be part of the issue but i think the list build is the main issue. It's got a swiss cheese look about it.
You only had to watch last weeks VFL game to see the quality of kids Essendon have running around compared to ours to see how poorly our list is constructed. A classic example of poor list management is Kent still on our list for the past 4 years, is an absolute joke.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:29pm
Wayne42 wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 4:12pm The coaching group may well be part of the issue but i think the list build is the main issue. It's got a swiss cheese look about it.
You only had to watch last weeks VFL game to see the quality of kids Essendon have running around compared to ours to see how poorly our list is constructed. A classic example of poor list management is Kent still on our list for the past 4 years, is an absolute joke.
Essendon appear to have recruited well over the last couple of years, they seem to have a lot of talls on their list, time will tell how many of them make it.

This has to be Kent's last year, unless he's contracted for 2023. :shock: :shock:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Freebird
Club Player

If we continue down the path of trading our draft picks for good ordinary and second rate players that we are giving a second chance we will never have the a grade players needed to be top 4.
We need the cream...why do we give up good draft picks for players from other clubs not regularly in their best 22

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 12:46pm If we continue down the path of trading our draft picks for good ordinary and second rate players that we are giving a second chance we will never have the a grade players needed to be top 4.
We need the cream...why do we give up good draft picks for players from other clubs not regularly in their best 22
Let's hope the club has been burnt enough to not be on the lookout for more injury prone salary cap drainers.
That won't be the complete answer but it will be a start.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.afl.com.au/news/791192/seve ... o-downs-wa

"St Kilda Next Generation Academy product Cam Mackenzie had 28 disposals and a goal to continue his form, while key back Josh Weddle was excellent with 20 disposals and seven marks in defence.

Harry Sheezel started the game in electrifying touch, taking a high mark and kicking a sharp goal, and finished with two majors from 14 disposals. Essendon father-son Alwyn Davey kicked two goals from 19 touches in an exciting showing to press his claims for a top-20 spot."

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Today’s HUN reporting that “GWS is fighting to keep Taranto from joining Richmond or St Kilda.”

Lets hope???

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 11 Jul 2022 11:05pm Today’s HUN reporting that “GWS is fighting to keep Taranto from joining Richmond or St Kilda.”

Lets hope???
I wonder what we'd have to give up to get him ?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 11 Jul 2022 11:05pm Today’s HUN reporting that “GWS is fighting to keep Taranto from joining Richmond or St Kilda.”

Lets hope???
Damien Barret says Collingwood are also into Taranto.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blu ... 5b1e6.html

Carlton have pulled out of the Amon race, its just us and the Hawks now.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The way things are looking onfield I wouldnt be surprised if Gold Coast & Port Adelaide both go past us on the ladder. Which would mean we finish on 12th, which will be pick # 7 at the draft.

If we are into Taranto a first round pick that high would need something significant in return or perhaps we split it with a club that has two early picks.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Why would a quality player want to come to the Saints, especially if he values success over coin ? :shock:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 16 Jul 2022 12:03am Why would a quality player want to come to the Saints, especially if he values success over coin ? :shock:
Taranto's other option is Richmond and their list is about to fall off a cliff, so I think we are a chance. Collingwood might also be in the running if they can get another club to take on Grundy's contract, but I doubt that happens.

Being the No 2 midfielder at the Saints and an extra 100k should sway him.

If I was Gallagher I would also be looking to trade out Gresham & Billings at seasons end. GWS might be interested in a straight swap for Gresham and I would offer Billings to North in an attempt to extract Ben McKay from North. I know its ruthess but neither player are taking us to win a flag and we simply have to improve our list while they have value.

I know people love both, but both go missing when the heat is on and neither have a defensive game. We are treading water with the current list and have to make some tough decisions.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 17 Jul 2022 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 11:04am
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 16 Jul 2022 12:03am Why would a quality player want to come to the Saints, especially if he values success over coin ? :shock:
Taranto's other option is Richmond and their list is about to fall off a cliff, so I think we are a chance. Collingwood might also be in the running if they can get another club to take on Grundy's contract, but I doubt that happens.

If I was Gallagher I would also be looking to trade out Gresham & Billings at seasons end. GWS might be interested in a straight swap for Gresham and I would offer Billings to North in an attempt to extract Ben McKay from North. I know its ruthess but neither player are taking us to win a flag and we simply have to improve our list while they have value.

I know people love both, but both go missing when they heat is on and neither have a defensive game. We are treading water with the current list and have to make some tough decisions.
Those trades are a win/win for us but i doubt we could con either GWS or North to fall for our trade bait.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 11:11am

I know people love both, but both go missing when they heat is on and neither have a defensive game. We are treading water with the current list and have to make some tough decisions.
Those trades are a win/win for us but i doubt we could con either GWS or North to fall for our trade bait.
GWS are going to lose Taranto, because they cant afford him. Plus Bobby Hill will leave, so they will be desparate for a small forward. They have shown interest in Gresham before, I think you might be surprised and there interest would swing the trade our way.

We might have to add a sweetener to Billings/McKay trade, but again we would need a big carrot $$$ to get McKay to move. Even if we were to get Norths end of first round compensation pick for Billings it would be worth it.

With Geary, Kent & Ryder (possibly) retiring, plus moving Gresham & Billings would also allow us the salary cap room to go after a free agent.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 11:40am
Wayne42 wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 11:11am

GWS are going to lose Taranto, because they cant afford him. Plus Bobby Hill will leave, so they will be desparate for a small forward. They have shown interest in Gresham before, I think you might be surprised and there interest would swing the trade our way.

We might have to add a sweetener to Billings/McKay trade, but again we would need a big carrot $$$ to get McKay to move. Even if we were to get Norths end of first round compensation pick for Billings it would be worth it.

With Geary, Kent & Ryder (possibly) retiring, plus moving Gresham & Billings would also allow us the salary cap room to go after a free agent.
I doubt North would be willing to leave a huge hole in their defensive structure for an unfufilled talent like Billings, that would be crazier than appointing an Admin guy as coach.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

You may be right Wayne, but thats why we have Gubby Allan on a retainer to extract those deals. As I said I would be happy with Norths end of 1st round pick for Billings. See if we can turn that pick into something better than 'vanilla'.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 6:55pm https://www.afl.com.au/news/791192/seve ... o-downs-wa

"St Kilda Next Generation Academy product Cam Mackenzie had 28 disposals and a goal to continue his form, while key back Josh Weddle was excellent with 20 disposals and seven marks in defence.

Harry Sheezel started the game in electrifying touch, taking a high mark and kicking a sharp goal, and finished with two majors from 14 disposals. Essendon father-son Alwyn Davey kicked two goals from 19 touches in an exciting showing to press his claims for a top-20 spot."

With the NGA rules changing yet again, given where Mackenzie is likely to be drafted we will have no ability to gazump any other club that may call out his name before the Saints do.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully we are gearing up for a busy trading period - surely we have to land one or two decent players?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... fdf6874d9d

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 12:24pm
saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 6:55pm https://www.afl.com.au/news/791192/seve ... o-downs-wa

With the NGA rules changing yet again, given where Mackenzie is likely to be drafted we will have no ability to gazump any other club that may call out his name before the Saints do.
Pick him up with our first rounder

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.afl.com.au/news/807032/cal- ... ly-ranking

f***. Cameron MacKenzie rated 6th. We will need to miss the finals to get him with our first rounder.