Trade - Draft Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade - Draft 2022 Discussion

xerri is a dud based on yesterdays game.

Saints58
Club Player

Are you in the mid season draft I know we could use 2 picks but it has been all quiet on that front.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/depart ... 716c96cfc3

According to this the Saints are still seriously interested in Lobb. Ive always found Lobb a average tall forward who doesnt like body contact and consequently an ordinary 2nd ruck. Gees you wouldnt want to be giving up a 1st round pick for him. I wonder if that means Ryder is not going to play on? TBH I would much rather look to trade in Taranto for our 1st round pick, add more depth to our midfield.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 10:36am https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/depart ... 716c96cfc3

According to this the Saints are still seriously interested in Lobb. Ive always found Lobb a average tall forward who doesnt like body contact and consequently an ordinary 2nd ruck. Gees you wouldnt want to be giving up a 1st round pick for him. I wonder if that means Ryder is not going to play on? TBH I would much rather look to trade in Taranto for our 1st round pick, add more depth to our midfield.
Lobb is fast becoming a spud, let's hope the Saints recruiters look elsewhere.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Just the usual media bulls*** talk.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 10:36am https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/depart ... 716c96cfc3

I hope the Lobb interest is only heresay…over rated and over paid.
Forget Xerri also, Marshall had his way with him far too easily in ruck contests.
Tarranto’s a good player but doubt he’ll leave GWS.
Why don’t we just put resources into Owens and Windhager as mids, Heath as a ruck option!, pick up Amon for nothing, then load up in the draft!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 3:32pm

Forget Xerri also, Marshall had his way with him far too easily in ruck contests.
Why don’t we just put resources into Owens and Windhager as mids, Heath as a ruck option!, pick up Amon for nothing, then load up in the draft!!
Good call. :wink:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Agree Mike, but losing Steele for 6 weeks has me worried on just how reliant we are on him. Considering we got spanked by North in clearances, the Brisbane and following games will see how well we stand up through the centre without him. Steele is really our only reliable clearance player and we know how important that is in today's game. IMO we need another ready to go balanced clearance mid and we cant expect the kids to manage the week to week inside stuff just yet.

The media have suggested a number of times that if Taranto stays, GWS may be forced to offload Hopper. TBH I would be happy with either as I think both have another level to go.

Id expect us to be pushed back in the draft this year, so it will be a decision as to who we expect from the draft eg Olliver Holland or Cam McKenzie vs the above. I think if we can attract the right player we will elect to trade our 1st this year.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 02 Jun 2022 7:50pm

Agree Mike, but losing Steele for 6 weeks has me worried on just how reliant we are on him. Considering we got spanked by North in clearances, the Brisbane and following games will see how well we stand up through the centre without him. Steele is really our only reliable clearance player and we know how important that is in today's game. IMO we need another ready to go balanced clearance mid and we cant expect the kids to manage the week to week inside stuff just yet.

The media have suggested a number of times that if Taranto stays, GWS may be forced to offload Hopper. TBH I would be happy with either as I think both have another level to go.

Id expect us to be pushed back in the draft this year, so it will be a decision as to who we expect from the draft eg Olliver Holland or Cam McKenzie vs the above. I think if we can attract the right player we will elect to trade our 1st this year.
Agree we could do with another mid…honestly I prefer Hopper to Taranto, more upside.
I actually rate Gresham as our best centre bounce clearance player.
A concern I have is the lack of focus on ruck/mids connection at training sessions.
Perhaps McGlyn isn’t the answer as midfield coach!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 03 Jun 2022 7:01am

Agree we could do with another mid…honestly I prefer Hopper to Taranto, more upside.
A concern I have is the lack of focus on ruck/mids connection at training sessions.
https://www.saints.com.au/video/1140873 ... 4066800001

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 03 Jun 2022 11:54am

You have to be mindful that Mike gets to a lot of training sessions, so he sees it first hand.

As far as mids go Mike, I would be happy with Hopper. I think Green & Ward are in front of him at GWS and he has struggled for midfield minutes, but he is a bull when up and going.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 03 Jun 2022 5:09pm

You have to be mindful that Mike gets to a lot of training sessions, so he sees it first hand.

As far as mids go Mike, I would be happy with Hopper. I think Green & Ward are in front of him at GWS and he has struggled for midfield minutes, but he is a bull when up and going.

Must admit I only get to the main training session each week, so there maybe some things put in place re: centre bounce structures earlier in the week.
Just got home from training…Bytel has a foot injury.
Steele, Adams and Coffield running, as is Hannebery.
Great vibe amongst the squad, such a fabulous environment Ratten has created.
Nick Walsh had a quick chat with us..seems a great guy!!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Yeah its probably something they do away from open sessions?

But I agree with your sentiment at times it looks like the opposition read our ruckmans taps better than ours. Gresham is good if we win first use, but struggles to apply pressure when the opposition win it. Crouch is now playing Steele's role. Jones and Ross stand too far off the fall of ball for mine, but I guess we have to have bodies on the outside.

Against North their mids always seem to out number us at their defensive side of the contest and used quick hands to walk away. It took us far too long to change things up (after 1/2 time) until we turned the tide. When we arguably have the next best rucking combination in the comp, you would think that our clearance work would be commensurate, but they're not?

If we want to be a top 4 side we have to become dominant in that aspect of the game, we are currently ranked 13th in clearances.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 03 Jun 2022 5:25pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 03 Jun 2022 5:09pm

Must admit I only get to the main training session each week, so there maybe some things put in place re: centre bounce structures earlier in the week.
Just got home from training…Bytel has a foot injury.
Steele, Adams and Coffield running, as is Hannebery.
Great vibe amongst the squad, such a fabulous environment Ratten has created.
Nick Walsh had a quick chat with us..seems a great guy!!
I was there for about 45 minutes today.
What was interesting in some of the running drills that they were doing at the start of the session was how Kent struggled to keep up with the pack.
Marshall didn't seem to be troubled by any lingering injuries.

I only saw Hannebery either walking around the boundary or doing fitness or strengthening drills on the outer wing, he had a staff member with him the
whole time i was watching him.

Whilst Ryder and Marshall were competing in ruck drills with the midfield, Heath and Campbell were on standing near the boundary either watching or doing some
fancy ball drills together. I hope those 2 got a go in the ruck after i left, they need the work as they are our backups.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Rookie Central top 25 rankings -

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/power- ... june-2022/

Not a lot of key position players around our pick, but plenty of midfielders if we take our 1st round pick to this years draft.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The write up on Aaron Cadman as a Key Forward wasn't too bad but when you look at his height he's 194cm.

Is that tall enough in today's AFL where 200cm Forwards are becoming the norm.

A lot of clubs have Key Backs that are only 194cms so it's not an easy riddle to solve.
That's why clubs have recruiters, well, except for Norf. :lol:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 08 Jun 2022 1:28pm The write up on Aaron Cadman as a Key Forward wasn't too bad but when you look at his height he's 194cm.

A lot of clubs have Key Backs that are only 194cms so it's not an easy riddle to solve.
Whats wrong with our pre trialled, 194cm, 2023 new recruit, Jack Hayes.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 08 Jun 2022 12:29pm Rookie Central top 25 rankings -

Not a lot of key position players around our pick, but plenty of midfielders if we take our 1st round pick to this years draft.

Wonder if Cam McKenzie will be in the conversation for our first pick…likely the only way we can get him with the new NGA rules in play!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 08 Jun 2022 2:30pm
Wayne42 wrote: Wed 08 Jun 2022 1:28pm The write up on Aaron Cadman as a Key Forward wasn't too bad but when you look at his height he's 194cm.

Whats wrong with our pre trialled, 194cm, 2023 new recruit, Jack Hayes.
ACL injury.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 08 Jun 2022 2:31pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 08 Jun 2022 12:29pm Rookie Central top 25 rankings -

Wonder if Cam McKenzie will be in the conversation for our first pick…likely the only way we can get him with the new NGA rules in play!
I hope he is, as I think taking our own NGA kids adds something to the players package. They already feel comfortable in the clubs environs and seem to hit the ground running. Plus he has the break away speed or punch from contests that we need. Having said that I feel we will be busy during the trade period again this year.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

For those that are interested I guess the games will be telecast via the AFL website -

2022 NAB AFL National Championships - U18 Boys
Teams: Allies (comprising New South Wales/ACT, Tasmania, Queensland and Northern Territory), South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia

DATE - MATCH UP - VENUE/TIME*          
Sun, Jun 19 - South Australia v Allies - Thebarton Oval, Adelaide, 1.30pm          
Sat, Jun 25 - Allies v Victoria Metro - Blacktown Int. Sports Park, 1.00pm          
Sun, Jun 26 - South Australia v Victoria Country - Thebarton Oval, Adelaide, 1.30pm          
Sat, Jul 2 - Victoria Metro v Western Australia - Melbourne, 12.00pm          
Sun, Jul 3 - Allies v Victoria Country - Gold Coast, 1.00pm          
Sat, Jul 9 - Allies v Western Australia - Adelaide, 12.30pm          
Sun, Jul 17 - Victoria Metro v South Australia - GMHBA Stadium, Geelong, 11.00am          
Sun, Jul 17 - Victoria Country v Western Australia - GMHBA Stadium, Geelong, 1.30pm          
Sun, Jul 24 - South Australia v Western Australia - Adelaide, 12.00pm          
Fri, Sep 23 - Victoria Metro v Victoria Country - Melbourne, TBC          

*All times local. Match details subject to change.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Whoops…I thought Hopper is younger than Taranto but that’s not the case.
Doubt Taranto will leave though as he loves Sydney.
Have it on good authority that GWS can’t keep both of them…salary paid to Whitfield, Kelly and Coniglio is killing their cap space.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I would be happy with either Mike, although Hopper has a bit mongrel about him which wouldn't hurt in our midfield group.

CorioSaint

Saints NGA Cam Mackenzie and Sam Latrielle make trial game teams Victoria metro v Victoria country. Go well!!!

Sanctorum
Club Player

Speculation is still rife about Tom Taranto's future at GWS as his contract expires this year. After last week's loss to the Brisbane Lions I believe he is exactly the player that can transform the St Kilda team into a serious contender for a tilt at the cup in 2023. Taranto hails from Sandringham Dragons and would feel very much at home in Moorabbin. He'll not be cheap but certainly warrants whatever it takes to sign him up as a genuine marquee star.

The essence of philosophy is that a man should so live that his happiness shall depend as little as possible on external things.

"No man is free who is not master of himself."

Epictetus, Greek Stoic Philiosopher (c. 50 – c. 135 AD)