Max King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max King

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 5:35am There are times when Max looks very confident, even bordering on cocky (which I don't mind)...other times he looks shaky.
I'm sure he will sort it out, but he needs to understand what triggers those different moods.
He will be a champion if he decides to be.
He needs to start making his mind up pretty quickly in the AFL environment, as we can't look to playing finals with KPPs having their minds elsewhere on any given day.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Sunday Marshall starts deep and Max up the ground a bit. Maybe Max can get on to a couple of long range shots and get his eye in.

They’re not so problematic the long ones. Easy to kick through the ball and you have an excuse if you miss. It’s the ones you are expected to kick …

repta
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 5:35am There are times when Max looks very confident, even bordering on cocky (which I don't mind)...other times he looks shaky.
I'm sure he will sort it out, but he needs to understand what triggers those different moods.
He will be a champion if he decides to be.

He looks cocky when he is a mismatch.
He looks shaky when he is 'perceived' or perceives himself' to be matched or outmatched by his opponent.
It is a mental thing that everyone suffers from.

It is same issue that a player feels the expectation. Take a player shooting for goal with seconds left on the clock. There is very different approaches if they are 50 points up or 1 point down.
The only real difference is between the ears, self imposed expectation.

Realistically the superstars are those that ignore the expectation and don't let the emotions impede performance.

Until he understands and is able to control the emotion he will continue to miss simple shots and look shaky against (perceived) better players.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Max is thinking of the next step when he goes for the ball in some marking contests- i.e. spending the money before you get it. He has footy smarts, but probably needs to concentrate on what he is doing in the now. From a kicking aspect, when you look at the great FFs, they are all 200% concentrating on the ball drop and are balanced when going for goal. I would much rather see him high in the forward half, and get a bit more movement in his game.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Just had a scan through the stats for Saturday. Bit shocked by Max's output.
Max: 4 disposals. No handballs no tackles. 1 FF 1 FA. (with one mark dubious?)
I guess its confirmation bias but I just took it he was a good contributor and hard at it. But no tackles? No handballs? Opponent arguably BOG or most valuable.

Even given how good May and Lever are, that's pretty awful performance isn't it? Maybe Max is injured.

Have sides worked us out - no King kicking several = no Saints win?

Can see why eyebrows are being raised in the direction of our forward coaches. Higgins beaten, Butler was as usual/goals are not my job, King made ineffective. This same old same old forward set up that is unreliable needs to change doesn't it, can't rely on our excellent defence and have no potency or alternative options up forward and expect finals, can we.

Actually I am surprised Max's form wasn't put to Ratts at the presser. Although he seems to have a free pass for some pretty unfortunate performances in last couple.

Love him but gee, no tackles when May and Lever were dining out. What's going on? Must be injured.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 10:09am Just had a scan through the stats for Saturday. Bit shocked by Max's output.
I guess its confirmation bias but I just took it he was a good contributor and hard at it. But no tackles? No handballs? Opponent arguably BOG or most valuable.

Even given how good May and Lever are, that's pretty awful performance isn't it? Maybe Max is injured.

Can see why eyebrows are being raised in the direction of our forward coaches. Higgins beaten, Butler was as usual/goals are not my job, King made ineffective. This same old same old forward set up that is unreliable needs to change doesn't it, can't rely on our excellent defence and have no potency or alternative options up forward and expect finals, can we.

Actually I am surprised Max's form wasn't put to Ratts at the presser. Although he seems to have a free pass for some pretty unfortunate performances in last couple.

Love him but gee, no tackles when May and Lever were dining out. What's going on? Must be injured.
Replace Butler with Sharman and all of a sudden you will see the forward line functioning much better. It annoys me that some players can keep playing poorly yet continually get selected

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Max King is 5th in the Coleman, has taken more shots on goal than any player in the AFL, and is 3rd for contested marks.

And he's 21 years of age.

Gosh, some people are overly harsh on him saying he needs to do this or he needs to do that. He's already a star and not even close to the player he will eventually become.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 11:15am Max King is 5th in the Coleman, has taken more shots on goal than any player in the AFL, and is 3rd for contested marks.

And he's 21 years of age.

Gosh, some people are overly harsh on him saying he needs to do this or he needs to do that. He's already a star and not even close to the player he will eventually become.
Indeed. Stil looks like a lanky colt. He's only 21. Let's see how he's shaping in another two or three years when his body is fully developed.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 10:09am Just had a scan through the stats for Saturday. Bit shocked by Max's output.

The biggest issue Max has at the moment is not his inaccurate goal kicking, it's trying to function with our forward setup/strategy.

The constant bombing on top of his head over and over and over again is both infuriating and baffling. Melbourne (and May) must have thought Christmas had come early when they saw how we were moving the ball into our forward 50 last weekend. Truly a bizarre decsison.

Put Max out on the lead and he looks unstoppable, let him have a run and jump at it instead of wrestling against 2 or 3 opponents constantly!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Just get some fkn swagger boy!!

This year at the brownlow he needs to put on a suede tux, invite the best looking girl in Australia to be his partner (Jesinta Franklin is taken so he might have to settle for the second best) and just learn to strut like the great Jonathan Brown

seano1
Club Player

oh my he's only 21 they cry......look at other guys in some teams 18-19 tearing it up .

poor forward structure doesn't help him or the other forwards , make him the decoy and drag backs away from the other forwards spread them ffs

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 6:49pm oh my he's only 21 they cry......look at other guys in some teams 18-19 tearing it up .

poor forward structure doesn't help him or the other forwards , make him the decoy and drag backs away from the other forwards spread them ffs
He's playing CHF. He gets the opposition's biggest and strongest key back every game. Which other 18/19 y.o CHF's are tearing it up?
Agree out forward system doesn't help. Way too much bombing to him with more than one opponent. Totally baffling why we persist with that

SaintWiki
Club Player

Max is just a young man learning his craft - surely you people didn't think the competition was going to let him get away with those bags he got ealier. He now has to learn how to deal with the strategies other teams have introduced to stop him from making fools of them. He will always be learning, because he is always going to be a threat and we just have to be patient - and he will be able to add to his bag of tricks when he puts on some meat. He has proved he is a very good kick, he is just lacking a bit of 'confidence' which people keep calling the yips. Roo had the same issue that seemed like an eternity at the time

SaintWiki
Club Player

Last edited by SaintWiki on Thu 12 May 2022 7:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Last edited by SaintWiki on Thu 12 May 2022 7:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Yep, yep, yep. But at 21 it's legal to tackle. Perhaps he has been instructed otherwise. Just don't get the no tackles against Dees in close combat game. He must have wanted to hurt May? Still think he might be carrying an injury.

SaintJohno
Club Player

Really hope he get's his head right and starts dominating the forward line. I worry that he's had it so easy in his junior years when lobbing it on his head was a recipe for success and he didn't have to work hard at all. The way he half runs at opposition when the ball doesn't go his way is concerning as second and third efforts are so crucial for forward pressure. I can't remember Rooey half running ever. Really hope he get's it between the ears and becomes a superstar.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do you reckon it’s an instruction that he doesn’t lead?

Either he is stupid or the coaches are because the way he played on May was ridiculous

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

FFS. He has dominated our forward line in comparison to any other forward in the comp. He just hasn't kicked straight and Melbourne are a 5 goal better side right now, anyway. A few teams have played Melbourne well, we weren't terrible, but currently, they are just too good.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 11:57pm Do you reckon it’s an instruction that he doesn’t lead?

Either he is stupid or the coaches are because the way he played on May was ridiculous
Agreed

I can understand if King stays deep against Geelong because they don’t have tall KP Defenders, but it was crazy playing that way against Melbourne. Too stationary. He’s not Tom Lynch or Tom Hawkins. He just needs to be constantly on the move like Aaron Naughton

He and Membrey needed to swap roles. Membrey worked his butt off up the ground against Melbourne and Membrey had as many inside 50’s as our best midfielders. Unfortunately they weren’t very good kicks and weren’t weighted well or to the advantage of one of the forwards.

Max needs to watch that tape to emulate that effort of Membrey. I reckon Max would be a better field kick than Tim too. As I said, not sure if it’s the best tactic for this weeks match, but it has to become one of his weapons especially considering his speed and his agility.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 7:44am FFS. He has dominated our forward line in comparison to any other forward in the comp. He just hasn't kicked straight and Melbourne are a 5 goal better side right now, anyway. A few teams have played Melbourne well, we weren't terrible, but currently, they are just too good.
totally agree but think he can be used better.the wasted bombs when he has 2 or 3 on him are a worry unless of course it is a tactic to bring the ball to ground for a small to take advantage of ?

either way I would rather see him lead and our forwards protect his space.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The impression I got from Mathew Lloyd a couple of seasons ago was that Ben was more lead-into-space and Max was more hulk-a-contested mark. In 2020, I think we did bomb and got the roll-over-the back thing. (Whether fortuitous or planned)

I don't know whether this is still relevant today - either Lloyd's impressions or forward set-ups.

I don't think Plugger was a big chaser tackler, was he?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

If Max could kick straight perceptions might be very different.
Here are the current top 6 in the Coleman Medal ranked by scoring shots rather than goals.

1. Max King. 41
2. Lynch. 40
3. Curnow. 39
4. Hawkins. 38
5. Cameron 36
6. Wright 30

Max is getting as many opportunities as the other leading goalkickers, but his conversion is rubbish. He's kicked 21.20. Wright by comparison has kicked. 23.7

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Those stats make me feel a bit better

His kicking will improve

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think he needs to move more.
Would be absolutely unstoppable with even half a meter of separation.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....