Max King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max King

The twirling thing seems a fashion. I noticed a number of Melbourne players doing it yesterday too, including "he who can't be mentioned" - he missed. I doubt that it helps but it may not harm either. Max seems to make good contact but kicks in the wrong direction. My advice would be to pick a person int the crowd behind the goals and use that line to run in and imagine kicking to that person. It is best to kick with the same strength all the time. Maybe he already does this. However, it is still no soda. The best kicks in AFL history only ever got to 70%. Three mentioned above, Plugger, Peter Hudson and Peter McKenna all had similar actions. They all kicked with straight knees, which was the "gold standard" for many years. The first person I saw who kicked with a bent knee with any success was Matthew Lloyd. I remember Plugger saying that he used to practise the drop so that he would almost place the ball on his foot and kick his hands. His leg could not have been straighter on contact. He never had to veer out to the right to get extra "leverage" or distance like some. Nick R used to kick with a bent knee. Maybe Max's physiology prevents him from kicking with a straight knee and it's now too late to change anyway. But, players can't kick it unless they get it. At least he can do the first bit.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The captain also does the twirl thing and so do a few of the other senior players. It’s been going on for a while and enough is enough!!

There needs to be a rule at the club that once you start your walk in, that you have to stop the twirl.

I think it’s a nervous thing. Max seems anxious and tense. I have some radical solutions and they don’t involve modern day therapies like speaking to a psychologist or a hypnotherapist

1. Prostitutes are legal. I think players should get their rocks off at least once a week
2. If you have issues relaxing, smoke some gunja and learn to chill

And finally. Has Max got a girlfriend? The club should employ more of those cute water carriers and try and hire someone over 6 foot that might have the same interests as Max King and try and introduce the guy to young ladies his age that he might find suitable to date.

As Laurie would say;

BOOM BOOM
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 01 May 2022 1:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 1:05pm The captain also does the twirl thing and so do a few of the other senior players. It’s been going on for a while and enough is enough!!

There needs to be a rule at the club that once you start your walk in, that you have to stop the twirl.

I think it’s a nervous thing. Max seems anxious and tense. I have some radical solutions and they don’t involve modern day therapies like speaking to a psychologist or a hypnotherapist

1. Prostitutes are legal. I think players should get their ricks off at least once a week
2. If you have issues relaxing, smoke some gunja and learn to chill

And finally. Has Max got a girlfriend? The club should employ more of those cute water carriers and try and hire someone over 6 foot that might have the same interests as Max King and try and introduce the guy to young ladies his age that he might find suitable to date.
Prostitutes may be legal but are a danger to ones health. Gunja is definitely illegal.

Hope your post was at least a little tongue in cheek. :roll: :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

In cheek, in mouth, in where ever you prefer

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ben actually played the majority of his junior footy at CHB

Max played forward

As a junior Max was the better player, better contested mark, better at ground level.

Now
It seems Ben is a better hit up forward and better kick
Max better contested mark forward and better below his knees

ace
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 30 Apr 2022 11:34pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sat 30 Apr 2022 11:32pm Just a flat-track bully. Simple!
Bit rough - he has played some blinders against some very good opponents - the nagging doubt is there [yips] and no amount of coaching can fix that.
No such thing as yips.
It is called bad technique.
Max stares at the goal posts the entire time of his walk up.
Never once does he look down at the ball even when kicking.
He must consider it cowardice to look down and guide the ball to his boot.

Plugger always ensured he placed the ball on his boot by looking down while kicking.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 2:59pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 30 Apr 2022 11:34pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sat 30 Apr 2022 11:32pm Just a flat-track bully. Simple!
Bit rough - he has played some blinders against some very good opponents - the nagging doubt is there [yips] and no amount of coaching can fix that.
No such thing as yips.
It is called bad technique.
Max stares at the goal posts the entire time of his walk up.
Never once does he look down at the ball even when kicking.
He must consider it cowardice to look down and guide the ball to his boot.

Plugger always ensured he placed the ball on his boot by looking down while kicking.
Yes, while simultaneously “seeing” the target in his mind’s eye.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Goal kicking issue not a recent problem for Max.
In his one and only TAC Cup match he kicked 8 goals 7 and at least a couple out on the full…from memory there were also a couple not making the distance.
It’s not dissimilar to Joe Danaher, seems mechanically ok but lacks belief & confidence in front of the big sticks.
The most pure kicking actions I’ve seen are Lockett, McKenna and Bernie Quinlan…all had wonderful easy actions, keeping things simple!

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

The thing is Max was kicking very well before the GWS game and has just seemed to have lost it again.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 8:20pm The thing is Max was kicking very well before the GWS game and has just seemed to have lost it again.
Maybe he needs to be managed. There’s no shame in resting him

He just looked nervous and didn’t look happy and relaxed. The last two games have been interstate. Maybe young blokes who lack confidence need people around them who provide mentoring and support. Maybe it would be a good idea to pay for his family to travel when he’s interstate

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Frustrating as it might seem Max is a gun & he will only get better . I'm prepared to cut him a little slack because IMO he is the most important player on our list going forward . He has the potential to make us a real threat

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 8:20pm The thing is Max was kicking very well before the GWS game and has just seemed to have lost it again.
I agree, thought his goal kicking was looking very reliable this year until the GWS game.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
repta
Club Player

Has lacks the "Killer" to be a super star.

There is times that he will get off the leach and will dominate against a mismatch.

But he has no killer (or little killer) in him.

The true superstars have a glint in the eye that says "dont mess with me"

Superstars are those that stand up on the big stage and rise above. They dont wiilt 25m out directly in front.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

repta wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 12:19pm Has lacks the "Killer" to be a super star.

There is times that he will get off the leach and will dominate against a mismatch.

Superstars are those that stand up on the big stage and rise above. They dont wiilt 25m out directly in front.
He is only 22 Tom Hawkins didn't really get going until he was mid 20's. There is still plenty of time for him to become a more complete player, it really only his second year as key forward so I'm still bullish he can be a super star in years to come :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Great players perform under pressure

They want the ball in their hands at clutch moments

King looks visibly nervous going back to line up for goal

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

How old was Carey when he played that state game for SA and announced himself as a star.
All players do it at different stages.
Hawkins was struggling as a young key forward.

King looked like he had cured his kicking woes late last season but now looks a wreck when he os having set shots.
He is relieved when he kicks one regardless of how easy.
Has to be 1. technique & 2. mental.

I believe he'll get there, just needs to get some confidence and learn how to get a few easier balls with a hit ups as opposed to constant contested ball.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 6:30pm Great players perform under pressure

As I said he is still very young in the big scheme of things a bit more time in the gym in the off season & game time to work on his deficiencies & IMO will be a star of the future . Sure he has had off games & yes he is probably nervous kicking on goal but that can be fixed with a bit more experience & confidence . The Kid can kick goals from outside 50 already he has fantastic ground skills for a bloke his size , the ability is already there just need to give him a time to develop IMO :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 12:19pm Has lacks the "Killer" to be a super star.

Killer King? Maybe aggro pills required before the Melbourne match. I would like to see him attacking the ball more like the Tasmanian Devil in those old cartoons.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 6:30pm Great players perform under pressure

There is a lot of responsibility resting on those young shoulders Marto. Too much imo. We need other viable alternatives up forward who can help ease the pressure on him.

Marshall resting forward on Saturday or Hayes, had his season not been terminated, might have made all the difference.

thecrevis
Club Player

The biggest thing for me is this: what are the consequences for continually missing goals? There there are consequences for nearly all other performance-based metrics in football, but there seems to be absolutely no consequences if a player at stkilda repeatedly misses goals. Rather than ignore the problem, why not say to him "max you need to sort this out. we will support you and give you everything you need but this isn't good enough." And that goes for other players who are inaccurate too.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 10:51am A knock on Max King as a junior was his goal kicking- poor conversion

It’s funny because his brother Ben is very accurate
given they are twins, why doesn’t he just go and get some tips from his brother
I would.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

thecrevis wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 9:42pm The biggest thing for me is this: what are the consequences for continually missing goals? There there are consequences for nearly all other performance-based metrics in football, but there seems to be absolutely no consequences if a player at stkilda repeatedly misses goals. Rather than ignore the problem, why not say to him "max you need to sort this out. we will support you and give you everything you need but this isn't good enough." And that goes for other players who are inaccurate too.
What would you like to happen to them?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

thecrevis wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 9:42pm The biggest thing for me is this: what are the consequences for continually missing goals? There there are consequences for nearly all other performance-based metrics in football, but there seems to be absolutely no consequences if a player at stkilda repeatedly misses goals. Rather than ignore the problem, why not say to him "max you need to sort this out. we will support you and give you everything you need but this isn't good enough." And that goes for other players who are inaccurate too.
When Higgins was a having a set shot for goal from 40 metres out dead in front - late in the game, I was thinking to myself if one of his team mates plonked themselves behind the goal umpire and in the middle of the goals (and just put their hands up in the air as if pretending to wait for a pass) maybe that would be easier and assist Jack with a target...

But then I realised that they can't do that because they need to set up defensively in case of a behind.

:idea:

The solution is one of the water carriers or the trainers can also do it. Would that be within the laws of the game?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 10:00pm
What would you like to happen to them?
If they miss 2 set shots they get detention

If they miss 3 set shots they get introduced to the Gimp

Banger9798
SS Life Member

There are times when Max looks very confident, even bordering on cocky (which I don't mind)...other times he looks shaky.
I'm sure he will sort it out, but he needs to understand what triggers those different moods.
He will be a champion if he decides to be.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi