2022 Mid Season Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Re: 2022 Mid Season Draft

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 5:26pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 4:31pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 23 May 2022 3:33pm I wonder if Liam McBeam 27yo has nominated? Hes a 202cm forward/ruck doing well averaging nearly 3 goals a game for Glenelg (last years SANFL premiers). Ex Richmond listed.

https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/glene ... eason=2022

He’s 28…rather a younger option.
Wade Derksen or Sam Grant it is then!

Hopefully we will hear from the club soon to ascertain whether they are taking part in the draft and how many pick/s they free up?
Yeah Derkson sounds interesting…gotta feeling we’ll bring in at least 1 player mid season.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I hope you are right Mike?

Some on BF are suggesting because we wont have a huge turnover at the end of the season we might be reluctant to add extras now. I hope they are wrong, as it was apparent from last year a choice at the MSD was akin to another 1st round draft pick. Look at how well Heath is going, he would be a top 10 pick if he was in his draft year this year.

I think finally the entire competition has woken up to the fact that players mature at differing rates and the fact that they werent drafted as an 18 year old, doesnt mean they should be constantly overlooked. Jack Hayes is another classic example he wasnt taken in the MSD, but as a mature recruit and if he hadnt done his ACL he would have a huge impact IMO. I had a feeling he would have been an integral player going into the finals.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 1:18am I hope you are right Mike?

Some on BF are suggesting because we wont have a huge turnover at the end of the season we might be reluctant to add extras now. I hope they are wrong, as it was apparent from last year a choice at the MSD was akin to another 1st round draft pick. Look at how well Heath is going, he would be a top 10 pick if he was in his draft year this year.

I think finally the entire competition has woken up to the fact that players mature at differing rates and the fact that they werent drafted as an 18 year old, doesnt mean they should be constantly overlooked. Jack Hayes is another classic example he wasnt taken in the MSD, but as a mature recruit and if he hadnt done his ACL he would have a huge impact IMO. I had a feeling he would have been an integral player going into the finals.

Hayes and Wilkie are both a case in point for what you’re saying.
As far as player churn rate goes, at this point we’ve got Geary & Kent, with questions on Ryder and Hannebery.
Although you and I both have concerns over Allison I think he’s safe, as are Bytel, Byrnes, Connelly etc.
Cambell maybe vulnerable if we revisit the Xerra trade.
I’m an unabashed De Goey fan, so I’d look at him plus Amon as free agents.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A few of the nominated players have put a 18 month contract term on their nomination. But at the very worse it would give us 6 months to have a look at a couple of players and fill possible holes on the list. That in itself keeps the substantive players looking over their shoulders knowing they cant relax, plus it might allow us to go into trade week with some trade currency. Something we havent had for years and allows the stronger clubs to positively juggle their lists and caps.

Our list is in reasonable shape but we probably have a few needs. Just imagine if we could pickup a decent midfielder and another forward/ruckman at the MSD. Then bring in Amon and even De Goey as Free Agents, we could trade in or out of this years National Draft as we like. Then other currently contracted players (excess to requirments) may get squeezed out in a sellers market eg Higgins & Butler from Richmond.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 24 May 2022 11:14am A few of the nominated players have put a 18 month contract term on their nomination. But at the very worse it would give us 6 months to have a look at a couple of players and fill possible holes on the list. That in itself keeps the substantive players looking over their shoulders knowing they cant relax, plus it might allow us to go into trade week with some trade currency. Something we havent had for years and allows the stronger clubs to positively juggle their lists and caps.

Our list is in reasonable shape but we probably have a few needs. Just imagine if we could pickup a decent midfielder and another forward/ruckman at the MSD. Then bring in Amon and even De Goey as Free Agents, we could trade in or out of this years National Draft as we like. Then other currently contracted players (excess to requirments) may get squeezed out in a sellers market eg Higgins & Butler from Richmond.

Can’t have too many good players…Melbourne are undefeated in both their teams!
Keep building our depth is the key.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco
Club Player

Should try to pick up a couple of young players as Gears and Hanners will probably retire, Kent, Allison, Joyce and Campbell maybe delisted but I believe we will probably not participate in the mid season draft.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Wed 25 May 2022 10:08pm Should try to pick up a couple of young players as Gears and Hanners will probably retire, Kent, Allison, Joyce and Campbell maybe delisted but I believe we will probably not participate in the mid season draft.
At this point we are not in the mid season draft,the club must have an available Rookie list spot by 5:00pm AEST on Tuesday May 31, 2022 in order to participate.

The club seems to be holding it's cards close to it's chest as to whether we will or won't, will it be 1 or 2 spots with Hayes and Coffield made inactive or will we give it a miss.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Its not just about taking players on. It's hard to justify using a mid season pick on anything but development and you either have the spot to use or you don't.
Sharman HAD to play because of numbers didn't he. He was going to keep playing in SA but we flew him over. He was a development player. Its either a fluke or a freak.
Freaks are a handy distraction as a third tall.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

If an AFL-listed player suffers a year ending injury or retires, the player can be placed on the Inactive List and be replaced by a Mid-Season Rookie Draft (MSRD) Player.
That's what's intriguing about the Saints, they aren't saying, yet, whether they want to replace either of their long term injured players.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saints58
Club Player

I really think we should use the MSD as it allows us to get a player before the National draft when our draft had is not as good.
With only a few teams participating in the draft we are protentional able to pick up either a long term player or a ready made player that will be pushing for senior selection.
I would be looking at another young Ruckman to go with Heath so they could come up together would be interesting prospects.
But we could go mature players or one of each what ever our needs.
And if we get one or a few players go down in season ending injury's after the MSD it could really comprise our season with Hayes, Coffield out.

BadRossco
Club Player

Makes sense to replace Hayes and Coffield as it’s likely we could have more serious injuries before the season is over but we are not a Monty to do the sensible thing

SaintJohno
Club Player

BadRossco wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 6:59pm Makes sense to replace Hayes and Coffield as it’s likely we could have more serious injuries before the season is over but we are not a Monty to do the sensible thing
Is the MSD rule that you have to contract them for a year and a half? If Hayes and Coffield come back earlyish next year, will that compromise our list numbers?

BadRossco
Club Player

The standard rule was 6 or 18 months but as we all know the AFL may have changed that as they appear to change most rules if only for the sake of change

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Sat 28 May 2022 10:17am
BadRossco wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 6:59pm Makes sense to replace Hayes and Coffield as it’s likely we could have more serious injuries before the season is over but we are not a Monty to do the sensible thing
Is the MSD rule that you have to contract them for a year and a half? If Hayes and Coffield come back earlyish next year, will that compromise our list numbers?

I had thought it was only 6 months.

Originally the intent of the MSD was mainly meant to be more to get players who could play immediately as injury cover. ie Say Hawks at present with so many ruck injuries.
Hence why it was only 6 months.

Note though that players could nominate terms. Most do not, as they want to maximise their chance of being picked up.

Whereas mots clubs are more using it to take on young to youngish talent, many of whom need to be developed to be able to play at the AFL level.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

SR about 10 players who are certain they will be picked up have nominated 18 months contract terms. I dont think thats a bad thing giving they are being asked to uplift the lives and local clubs to be drafted. It just ensures clubs have to manage their list numbers carefully.

Saints58
Club Player

Does anyone know what is happening with the Mid season draft are we going to nominate it doesn't look promising as I thought we would have done it by now!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Mon 30 May 2022 5:23pm Does anyone know what is happening with the Mid season draft are we going to nominate it doesn't look promising as I thought we would have done it by now!
They have until 5.00pm today to nominate, it's a waiting game.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco
Club Player

Playing it a little safe as I believe we are required to use three draft picks at seasons end and would also probably like to add a free agent, Gears, Hanners would be expected to retire and Kent delisted then would be looking at Joyce unless either Bytel or Highmore request a trade. Could possibly also see one of Kyle or Peris go but that would be making a bit of an early call on developing players

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

BR - Kyle & Peris are Cat B rookies they are not included in general list numbers. They can remain as Cat B for 3 years if they do, before being added to the main list.

Just looking at the available mock drafts a lot of clubs will be picking for needs rather than talent. Hopefully that may allow a player we rate to slip through to our pick #14.

Apparently Adelaide were looking at this kid, but are now going with a local SANFL player with their 1st pick. I imagine he is one who could slip through -

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player ... -carrigan/

I wonder if the AFL will ever allow the MSD trading that occurs in the National Draft or the Trade period?
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Wed 01 Jun 2022 2:31am, edited 1 time in total.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I presume the club doesn't see any real standouts in the MSD, as well as being happy with the AFL-listed guys at the Zebs- confident that our young guys have a bright future

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 12:45am I presume the club doesn't see any real standouts in the MSD, as well as being happy with the AFL-listed guys at the Zebs- confident that our young guys have a bright future
I think its more that it is becoming really tight for list numbers and we are quite late in the draft this year. We would expect to lose Geary, Kent & Hannebery at seasons end, then maybe Campbell if we bring in another ruckman. We are lead to believe Ryder wants another year.

Basically we wiil have to be pretty ruthless and delist others or trade out if we are to bring in the likes of FA in Amon. The joys of a rising list there will be players starting to get squeezed out.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Watch out for Hugo Hall-Kahan from Sandy Dragons…likely to be picked up by us if still available!!