2022 Mid Season Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

2022 Mid Season Draft

With Coffield & Hayes out for the year with long term injuries, our recruiters should be looking for players to add to the list.

I reckon we need another key forward/ruckman to develop. I am just watching Peel Thunder play and they have a first gamer playing in that role and showing plenty - Wade DERKSEN 197cms 90kgs 20 yo from Darwin NT.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2022 Mid Season Draft

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 24 Apr 2022 7:10pm With Coffield & Hayes out for the year with long term injuries, our recruiters should be looking for players to add to the list.

I reckon we need another key forward/ruckman to develop. I am just watching Peel Thunder play and they have a first gamer playing in that role and showing plenty - Wade DERKSEN 197cms 90kgs 20 yo from Darwin NT.
Good one, can you watch some South Australian games for prospects, that could be where we'll recruit from. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 24 Apr 2022 9:08pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 24 Apr 2022 7:10pm With Coffield & Hayes out for the year with long term injuries, our recruiters should be looking for players to add to the list.

Good one, can you watch some South Australian games for prospects, that could be where we'll recruit from. :lol:
I believe our previous SA scout (Chris Toce`) is now in charge of recruitment, so our SA insider knowledge might not be as good now. I think the SANFL has been widely scouted in recent years but there is a kid coming back from injuries Mitch ONeill (ex WCE rookie) midfielder who is doing really well. He had 38 disposals, 8 marks, 6 tackles, 7 clearances and 8 inside-50s on the weekend!
https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/south ... eason=2022

Another tall in SANFL who is starting to blossom is Dyson Hilder 196cms 98kgs 21yo.
https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/north ... eason=2022

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Another ruckman midseason option -

David Brinker-Ritchie 201cms 19yo ruckman from Gippsland Power playing for Box Hill.

He is not a mid season target, but another we could look to lever out of Hawthorn if we cant find another option esle where -

Emerson JEKA 198cms 96kgs & 20 yo.

He is very raw but has something worthy of a look. Hawthorn have a number of similiar players in Lewis, Kositchke, Callow and Nash, so I reckon he may be one looking for other opportunities.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Gold Coast have priority access to players from Darwin.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 7:16pm

Gold Coast have priority access to players from Darwin.
I believe they forfeit that right if he is over looked in a draft - I dont know if he has nominated in past years. In any event here is a write up on his game -

DERKSEN STARS IN WAFL DEBUT:

Nightcliff junior Wade Derksen has starred in his WAFL debut for Peel Thunder on Sunday.

Derksen (pictured left) recorded 17 disposals, 10 hitouts, two goals and took a couple of strong contested marks in the narrow loss to West Perth.

West Perth 16.8 (104) defeated Peel 14.9 (93).

Still only 20 years old – he has a big, big future.

Brodie Carroll also debuted for the Thunder and gathered 13 disposals and a goal.

Photo – Peel Thunder FC

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Attached is a map of our NGA area ours is the tiniest area on the Melbourne peninsular - talk about getting shafted!!!

https://www.afl.com.au/draft/nga-clubacademies

Its just our luck this year we would have had Harry Sheezel a top 10 pick & Cam McKenzie a top 20 pick, who are both flying for the Sandringham Dragons. I know other clubs have missed out and we did well last year but after clubs like Collingwood - Isaac Quaynor, Bulldogs - Jammara Ugle-Hagan it just doesnt seem equitable.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 1:09pm Attached is a map of our NGA area ours is the tiniest area on the Melbourne peninsular - talk about getting shafted!!!

https://www.afl.com.au/draft/nga-clubacademies

Its just our luck this year we would have had Harry Sheezel a top 10 pick & Cam McKenzie a top 20 pick, who are both flying for the Sandringham Dragons. I know other clubs have missed out and we did well last year but after clubs like Collingwood - Isaac Quaynor, Bulldogs - Jammara Ugle-Hagan it just doesnt seem equitable.

It’s all due to yet another knee jerk AFL response to Ugle- Hagen going pick 1 a couple of years ago.
If a club has a gun in their NGA good luck to them.
There’s no song and dance over father son Nick Daicos!!!!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the FS rulings. But the manner in which the AFL have just eliminated clubs from accessing a top 40 player, reeks of an organisation making decisions on the fly with no concern of fairness or consequence.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 5:09pm I agree with the FS rulings. But the manner in which the AFL have just eliminated clubs from accessing a top 40 player, reeks of an organisation making decisions on the fly with no concern of fairness or consequence.
Spot on..

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 5:09pm I agree with the FS rulings. But the manner in which the AFL have just eliminated clubs from accessing a top 40 player, reeks of an organisation making decisions on the fly with no concern of fairness or consequence.
The FS is much better now than it was when Geelong built their dynasty.
Getting Gary Ablett Jr (pick 40), Nathan Ablett (48), Scarlett (45), Hawkins (41), and Blake (38) to name a few.
In 2001, they drafted Jimmy Bartel (8), James Kelly (17), Charlie Gardiner (23), and Steve Johnson (24) before drafting Gary Ablett Jr. Fair to say that Ablett might have attracted a bid in the first round given the pedigree.
In 2006, they drafted Joel Selwood (7) before drafting Tom Hawkins - who was billed as a staring full forward going in to the draft. I reckon the Blues would have selected him instead of Bryce Gibbs at number 1.

Under a bidding system, there's no way they get that haul and there's no way they win 3 flags.

The F/S and NGA players should be subject to the same system regardless of where they're are drafted.

diddley
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 1:09pm Attached is a map of our NGA area ours is the tiniest area on the Melbourne peninsular - talk about getting shafted!!!
The area may look small, but the entire area is densely populated.
Almost every other region has plenty of land mass, but no people in a majority of the area.

Freebird
Club Player

So is Essendon's metro zone but it's still twice our size plus they have been given a rich parcel of land in the NT

Reminiscent of the zones that killed any chance of Saints being a power but was the making of hawks and other clubs.

on the outer
Club Player

List spots are a scarce resource, really depends on how muck longer paddy and the club thinks he has, I think staring next year with Ryder/Marshall/Campbell/Heath/Hayes plus someone picked up mid season is too big of an investment (list wise) in ruckman.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

He is not a mid season draft option (Brandon Zerk-Thatcher), but the way Essendon treat him I wonder if he would be interested in leaving? He is a 23yo 195cm 90kg key defender who seems to be Essendons fall guy every time they lose. I dont know what his contract status is - but should we be interested?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 29 Apr 2022 9:09pm He is not a mid season draft option (Brandon Zerk-Thatcher), but the way Essendon treat him I wonder if he would be interested in leaving? He is a 23yo 195cm 90kg key defender who seems to be Essendons fall guy every time they lose. I dont know what his contract status is - but should we be interested?
He's only played 20 games since debuting in 2019, he's contracted until the end of 2023, he may not be developing as well as the Bombers had hoped.

Hopefully the Saints recruiters are at least evaluating his worth.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 29 Apr 2022 9:09pm He is not a mid season draft option (Brandon Zerk-Thatcher), but the way Essendon treat him I wonder if he would be interested in leaving? He is a 23yo 195cm 90kg key defender who seems to be Essendons fall guy every time they lose. I dont know what his contract status is - but should we be interested?
We’ve already got several player options around that size..3rd talls.
I’d like too Oscar Adams developed, as he is a great height, good mark, competitive and moves very well.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

But doesn't that mean he just comes to us as a ready made scapegoat? We seem to have enough of our own without recruiting another club's scapegoat.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We don't need a readymade gop.

We need to just pick one or two players who we believe can become best 22 players.

This year has been good so far, but we need more quality so we keep getting better.

For example the Dees age profile is not old. They won't decline for a while if they keep their egos in check.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2022/0 ... metro-u18s

17 Jai Culley (Dandenong Stingrays)

Blew Vic Metro away in the first half as he proved far too strong for their midfielders, shrugging tackles, stepping through traffic and hitting packs hard. Took a couple of big contested marks and lay an enormous tackle on Ben Hempel as his superior physicality proved telling. His raking kick that he has previously shown was highlighted by a 55 metre running goal in the second quarter, one of his four first half goals. High on confidence, he got the give off from a teammate lining up for a set shot from outside 50 and made the distance comfortably – albeit inaccurately – in the third stanza. He also set up teammates, a darting bullet pass finding Max Ramsden inside 50 late in the second quarter, and lowered his eyes on multiple occasions, including a short 15 metre pass in the last quarter to Harvey Gallagher who was waiting 40 metres out. Fell out of it after the main break in his first game since round two of the NAB League, but he was undoubtedly the player that set the platform for a comprehensive win.

Note: this Culley kid looks interesting as a big midfielder Height: 193cm Weight: 87kg D.O.B: 24-02-2003. You have to wonder how kids like this get overlooked in National/Rookie drafts?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Look for any kids who have excelled this year after going under the radar due to covid cancelling the last two seasons. No need for a mature state league top up

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

From Smythe on BF Phantom Drafts -

MID SEASON DRAFT - april 22 - 2022 + update
Current mature age players in line for a shot at the MSD, IMO, if clubs have the need for a player in their position that is,

Max Ramsden - very good young ruck prospect and barring any injury he will be picked up
Jye Menzie - first 2 weeks on fire, hit a slump in last 2 weeks, but def pressure abounds
Jacob. Dawson - just keeps on being very good, ball magnet and tackling machine
Jamieson Ballantyne - was close to rookie selection last year, clubs just wanted to see some more
Fletcher Hart - Big FWD, taking marks and kicking goals, presenting and competing each game
Connor Ballenden - deserves another chance somewhere
Mitch O'Niell - going brilliantly, genuinely balanced mid just needs a chance
Ryan Eyres - big guy, big hands, 1v1 def
Jai Culley - started the year very well, can he continue, yes, i think he can - my mid favourite
Angus Baker - one i have continuously liked for 3 years now, intercept defender with great ball use
Mutaz El Nour - Similar to Baker above, takes marks and attacks
Massimo D'Ambrossio - little terroriser, tackles, good skills, lightning quick
Wade Derksen - big wafl kid playing well so far this year, 12cm spurt, previously a flanker and moves well
Kye Declase - still has plenty to offer
Jacob Bauer - Taking marks all day, ave 4.5 goals a game to start the year, my FWD fave
Bailey Rogers - Keeps killing it game after game in the WAFL, ball winning goal kicking mid
Hugo Hall Kahan - as far as im aware he will need a rep nominated exemption to be eligible as he did not nominate for the draft last year, but if he is, he would be a great pick up, started the year very well and is a unique third tall fwd option with pace and skills
Brynn Teakle - really big ruck/fwd from wafl playing well so far this year
Josh Carmichael - ball winning, tackling, clearance winning young mid from sanfl, kicks goals too. One of my faves
Toby Murray - The big guy is providing clubs with a view to his upside and future playing well so far this year
Will. Hayes - started on fire and is continuing, but where will he fit in?
Tyrese Leiu - young and playing ok, DEF, has trained with Carlton
Oliver Davis - i liked him in his draft year but he had no hurt factor, is showing that now with his clearances and tackles, needs to score more though
Fergus Greene - probably needs another go as he has the game and his body has grown, position at AFL level still unclear for me, 3rd tall fwd?
Sam Fowler - his game this year is good, can he step up though remains to be seen, but may get his chance

My favourites, MID Jai Culley, MID Josh Carmichael, FWD Jacob Bauer, RUCK Max Ramsden, UTILITY Wade Derksen, INTERCEPTING REBOUNDING DEF Angus Baker

Note: I think the mids like Culley will be gone before our pick, my man Wade Derksen may hopefully get through to us?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Josh Carmichael at 22 189 and 88kg, fits our bargain hunting profile beautifully and adds that bigger bodied, tallish, bull-like, tackling midfielder, who takes a decent mark, has a strong burst when needed, has a lovely long kick and kicks goals. With Bytel struggling for form, he might be handy.