Clarkson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clarkson

Teflon wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 12:18am
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 12:15am
Teflon wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:08pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 6:54pm If the team loses more than they win going into the break, I'm pretty sure the club will be having a chat with Clarkson.

ATM I still believe Ratts is our best fit, but what Tony 74 said about Rath has me worried.
Sorry missed what Tony said about Rath?? Where can I read it
In the Ratten review thread. Tony said Rath has too much influence.
Thanks CQ
That’s a worry….is Ratts just too nice a bloke to say to him but out
For Clarko he was the spreadsheet guy …
Rath was more than a spreadsheet guy at Hawthorn, he was constantly praised for being Hawthorn's kicking guru during Clarkson's successful years.
Their kicking was looked on as one of their strengths.

He left Hawthorn and went to the AFl to work on game development as many people thought he was a guru. I think Mr Lethlean thinks he's still a guru.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

So Rath is the problem now?!

Funny

He wasn’t an issue at Hawthorn ?!?!

SaintDippa
Club Player

If Clarko comes to Moorabbin his first task - like at Hawthorn - would be to delist players who can't kick. Rushing off to work so don't have 5 min to compile a list.

minneapolis
Club Player

SaintDippa wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 7:35am If Clarko comes to Moorabbin his first task - like at Hawthorn - would be to delist players who can't kick. Rushing off to work so don't have 5 min to compile a list.
5 minutes? Perhaps a tad longer......

Just joking but this is so obvious.

Collingwood had 10 kids who could hit a target.

We have a bunch of guys who could kick it out of bounds on the full.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
lloyd21
Club Player

Disagree with Tony on Rath completely.

Oh and I know Tony personally stand next to him at Training a lot.

Enright , Roughead , Rath , Walsh …..fantastic appointments.

I don’t think , I know.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Don't think we are not in the 8, I know.

"fantastic appointments" ?

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 10:20am Don't think we are not in the 8, I know.

1) Start of a new footy season. Same Rattshyte game plan, if in fact there even is a game plan, as all 2021 (2020 was an aberration with covid short quarters and the whole season should have an Asterix against it).

. Bomb it long into the forward line, mostly down the line, hope for a crumb, hope that Butler et al can repeat their 2020 flukes.
. Confuse the opposition by having all the tall forwards lead to the same blade of grass.
. Slow ball movement, sideways, backwards, have a good long think about your next move because the opposition needs time to take in some deep ones and reset.

I don't think so, I know.

2) Playing over and over the same slow, unskilled, undersized, gutless players who can't kick or handball or position themselves or read the play or make an intelligent football decision. Dumb inadequate players showed up by skilled youth trained well.

3) Unforgiveable weakness and surrender to the opposition during marquee games. No change in this pathetic culture for 10 years or more.

4) The club treats its members like mushrooms ( I am one) re-injuries and unexplained absences eg Jones.

5) Too much lovey-dovey, new age woke BS from the CEO down to the coach and others white-anting the whole purpose of the club. Years of this crap. No sign of it stopping. St Kilda should not ever need to apologize to anyone for anything.
The Cats are no longer the pussies.
Well past time to toughen TFU as a club and playing group.

I have been a strong Ratts fan, with a few doubts creeping in last year, but the effort against the Pies stunk.

I give him 4 more games to prove he is up to the job of motivating these guys, selecting skilled players only, even if new, and showing us some semblance of a working and innovative game plan. Wins would be great, but these three issues are absolute.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 4:06pm

1) Start of a new footy season. Same Rattshyte game plan, if in fact there even is a game plan, as all 2021 (2020 was an aberration with covid short quarters and the whole season should have an Asterix against it).

. Bomb it long into the forward line, mostly down the line, hope for a crumb, hope that Butler et al can repeat their 2020 flukes.
. Confuse the opposition by having all the tall forwards lead to the same blade of grass.
. Slow ball movement, sideways, backwards, have a good long think about your next move because the opposition needs time to take in some deep ones and reset.

2) Playing over and over the same slow, unskilled, undersized, gutless players who can't kick or handball or position themselves or read the play or make an intelligent football decision. Dumb inadequate players showed up by skilled youth trained well.

3) Unforgiveable weakness and surrender to the opposition during marquee games. No change in this pathetic culture for 10 years or more.

4) The club treats its members like mushrooms ( I am one) re-injuries and unexplained absences eg Jones.

5) Too much lovey-dovey, new age woke BS from the CEO down to the coach and others white-anting the whole purpose of the club. Years of this crap. No sign of it stopping. St Kilda should not ever need to apologize to anyone for anything.

I have been a strong Ratts fan, with a few doubts creeping in last year, but the effort against the Pies stunk.

I give him 4 more games to prove he is up to the job of motivating these guys, selecting skilled players only, even if new, and showing us some semblance of a working and innovative game plan. Wins would be great, but these three issues are absolute.
Regrettably, all true. In my mind I've already written Ratten off. Might not be a popular opinion, but to come out on a Friday night, first game of the season, against a big club opposition and dish up that shyte - so deflating. And just a rinse and repeat of a dumb style of footy.
Agree there's too much cuddly motivational speak and not enough hard edged footy.
Ratten is looking more and more like Richo. Watching some of his videos addressing the players, he has the same tenor as Richo. There's something lacking - SFA inspiration. It all sounds very nice, but if I was a young bloke wanting to get my mongrel on, Im not sure I'd feel safe to let it rip for fear of upsetting the cuddliness.
It's all very earnest and well meaning, but dull.

wally
Club Player

First it was Ben King
This is fantasy if you think Clarkson come to StKilda FC
I’m not a gambler but I would almost put money on him not being at the saints this time next year.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I don't see Clarko dreams as pure fantasy. The Saints might be the only foundation club seeking a new coach next year.

Clarko (who's been at Moorabbin before) may not want to get stuck at some soulless outpost.

Plus the team is prime for a shake-up. I agree 100% with sendmehomehappy above.

The crew may have changed but the script remains the same. Ten years of mediocrity. Arguably the softest team in the comp and weirdly proud of it.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

But we are leaders in Gender Neutral toilets. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good post
That you Grant?

“Yeah….nah””
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I’d like to see Bucks come in as I can’t see us getting Clarko!

PADDLEPOP1000
SunnyErnie
Club Player

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 10:44pm I’d like to see Bucks come in as I can’t see us getting Clarko!
I would like to see Robert Harvey become our coach :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

NeXus
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 11:29pm
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 10:44pm I’d like to see Bucks come in as I can’t see us getting Clarko!
I would like to see Robert Harvey become our coach :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Why!?

PADDLEPOP1000
SunnyErnie
Club Player

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Sat 26 Mar 2022 12:03am
Why!?
Because I honestly believe he would be a great coach plus he would automatically bump our membership by 10,000

NeXus
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Why would Clarko be any better for us now than Blight was for us you-know-when?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

freely wrote: Sat 26 Mar 2022 2:23am Why would Clarko be any better for us now than Blight was for us you-know-when?
Clarko's been taking another leadership course. The bloke is serious about the caper.

Can't see him buying into the same mentality that for ten years has made us so fragile in all senses of the word.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Think everyone needs to cool their jets

Ratts needs at least until after Sunday to prove his worth 8-)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps the players have something to do with it?

Some things Friday were diabolical - incl. by umps. Well out of Ratts control. 5 goals from centre frees, come on.

Our squad with its injuries, unavailabilities and mental illnesses, skill failures, player stagnation - Battle, Butler, Byrnes; forwards' inaccuracy, lack of strong and seriously experienced leadership - It must be a nightmare to coach.

Support? Gallagher is wonderful, Danny Sexton does a good job with the jumpers but the others? Lucky they are not paid per successful idea. Lethlean now distracted by new gig coming.

Did I mention umpires regularly crucify us.

And now we are in to Ratts' beard and belly. Tough crowd.

Clarko had a great team, absolute once in a generation stuff, great leaders, great support. Not a magic wand.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No no no no no

“Yeah….nah””
SunnyErnie
Club Player

beebarry wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 2:06pm Has to be said - why are we not ( if we are not) looking at Clarkson for 2023 ?

Ratten clearly not impressing many since 2020, me included. Selection, game style, consistency and development. Things that make me sad.

The only time we ever seem to have an improvement is bringing in players. Highmore, Sharman, Wilkie and now Hayes - perfect examples. Z Jones, Ryder, even Crouch ...but developing our own on a consistent basis ? not so much.

I hate Hawthorn and have traditionally loathed Clarkson ...but something has to give and if its Ratts then Im not all that sorry ....I think hes another one like Richo..a great assistant and people person but not ruthless enough to be the top dog. Richo goes to a club in a very senior capacity with a hard arse at the helm at thrives.

come on Roughy - you owe us one for breaking Patons leg ....get your old mate on board.

I know Im all over the shop with this thread but I still cant talk from shouting last night. On the plus side the lights at Marvel were great ....
We have to get him!!

NeXus
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Ratts might have the first six games to prove the team is improving over last season.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

If we were to get Clarkson, knowing our luck, it would turn into a Malcolm Blight 2.0 debacle.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!