Clarkson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Re: Clarkson

Wouldn't the best fit for Clarkson be Hawthorn? Oh, wait...
Last edited by Templar on Mon 15 Aug 2022 8:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 6:29pm We need a young ambitious uncompromising coach.

Ratts stabilised the trajectory but seems to lack fire and inspiration for the future.

Big Footy comment may be right: set up accommodates players lacking necessary skills and we are not prepared to churn to get right mix.

Actually felt a bit sorry for Seb last night - has to be last season.

And Butler? Like betting 27 red all the time and wondering why you keep losing.
Seb has had a great year will finish top 5 in our B&F for sure & IMO will be there again next year & beyond

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 15 Aug 2022 8:14pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 6:29pm We need a young ambitious uncompromising coach.

Ratts stabilised the trajectory but seems to lack fire and inspiration for the future.

Big Footy comment may be right: set up accommodates players lacking necessary skills and we are not prepared to churn to get right mix.

Actually felt a bit sorry for Seb last night - has to be last season.

And Butler? Like betting 27 red all the time and wondering why you keep losing.
Seb has had a great year will finish top 5 in our B&F for sure & IMO will be there again next year & beyond
Am sure you are right. But you know what that means about our list and where we are going. Love Seb to death but don't think he is a consistent A grade mid anymore. Hope he can reinvent himself and mentor Marcus, Mitchito and Jack B and do short high impact cameos in the middle.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Matthew Lloyd on Clarkson.
Imagine if Bombers land him while we sat back…
Amazing

He’s (Alastair Clarkson) the best candidate out there. I did say two months ago, ‘why aren’t Essendon in this race’.
“Alastair is quite a confronting person because he will come in (and do things his own way), but to me, that is what this football club needs.
“They’ve made little minor adjustments, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t get the club anywhere.”

Sound familiar??

“Yeah….nah””
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Be awesome to see other struggling clubs get up and sail past us as we languish with a coach and board and recruiters who live in fantasy land....

Soooo good to watch clubs fight over Clarkson knowing we have our hero ALL WRAPPED UP TIGHT FOR TWO MORE GLORIOUS YEARS ( fired at round 15 2023 and Lenny steps in as interim coach but doesn't win the job despite 4 more wins, as we have our eyes in another chump to drag us backwards for three more years)

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Is Clarkson that good?
He had a game plan that won him flags 7+ years ago and did nothing with a redeveloping side since.
Does that game plan still hold up?
I'm not sold.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's a sh#t bloke, is Clarko. Essendon can have him. It's interesting how Hawthorn have performed better this year since his departure.

Essendon have a pretty good playing list. I'd say it has more upside than ours does at this point. Clarkson wants a club that has the capability to play finals in 2023. That's why I doubt he'll go th North

There are no guarantees. There is a history of big name coaches going to new clubs and falling flat on their faces. If Clarkson does go to Essendon, will he tell Sheedy to piss off and stay out of the place and will he give Dodoro the headbutt he so justifiably deserves?

Would be interesting to see. If he goes there., He'll still be surrounded by dickheads

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The wheel of fortune turned and it ultimately ran over Clarko and brought about the end of his time at Hawthorn.

They wanted him gone.

The recruiters are the only ones who can try to delay the inevitable ... keep the wheel from turning for as long as possible.
But turn it must, and will.

No coach escapes.

The recruiters are the real and unsung stars ... they make the real difference.

We need to concentrate on attracting (and poaching if we have to) the best.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Spot on, samoht

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Be nice when his supercoachness finally stops playing coy and decides on a suiter. The saga is becoming booring, yes?
I'm gearing up for a mighty anticlimax.

Meanwhile Saints following a long trodden path and armed with review findings, good draw, returning injured and young stars emerging will climb up the ladder, low profile, stealthy and cunning. Underated by ignorant media. No I don't believe that either. But so hope.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Clarkson will probably decide he wants to coach an AFLW team.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

IluvHarvey wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 4:12pm Is Clarkson that good?
He had a game plan that won him flags 7+ years ago and did nothing with a redeveloping side since.
Does that game plan still hold up?
I'm not sold.
It's not about a game plan. There's lots of different version of largely the same thing out there. The odd outlier but mainly - it comes down to the soldiers you have to execute the plan.

More particularly - Clarkson is about establishing a ruthless attitude to being uncompromising around achieving success. He's spoken about it many times - he's a man manager, a culture warrior and a change agent as and when required. Most of that has very little to do with footy. I'm not sure our average list would be so average if we were a more ruthless club - especially towards the playing stocks.

Go you red, black & white warriors