Where do the AFL pundits have us for 2022?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where do the AFL pundits have us for 2022?

Vortex wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 5:29pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 3:11pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 1:57pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 1:45pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 12:49pm Would be very good to see one (if not more) of Bytel, Byrnes or Connolly really step up and go from kid with potential to young star.

If Byrnes got there, that would be a huge step forward to addressing the concerns with have there
Boy I could not agree with me more on this one and if there’s one indication of what I’m most disappointed about linked to our overall performance/development… it’s the fact that if those 3 listed players, only one had played at all and it’s been like 5 games
Personally I think they are all a bust and none of them have taken their opportunity when it presented, especially Byrnes.
Won't be on the list too much longer would be my guess.

And before you get outraged, taking your opportunity is best illustrated by how Windy and NWM have burst into the scene.
No outrage. We’re all entitled to our opinions

Owens debut was a stinker and NWM was a slow burn to but has gotten better the more he has played

I don’t know that I would say their VFL was particularly better than Connolly for example who was very good early on but faded in the middle but is doing better now

It’s been a tougher journey for Bytel who missed large periods with injury but has been amongst the best at Sandy on several occasions without reward and has seen Hanna’s go right passed him despite his inability to get through a game

Byrnes has been disappointing but he’s barely played 2 games in a row all season.

The fundamental disagreement btw us on this topic is that i don’t believe players can improve without opportunity and all of Owens, Windy, NWH have gotten chances to get better over time in the seniors this year.

As has Cooper for example, who also looked average when he was in and out

Personally… I think it’s a crappy approach to development and it’s easy to hide behind the whole they’re just not good enough line
I'm not sure they hide behind anything when it comes to looking after their assets, that doesn't make sense at all. You make it sound like they let pettiness get in the way.

It's OK to say the only way to develop a player is to give them a set block of games, but that sounds fairly amateurish and could be detrimental to a players development.

I recon the coaches would get a feel for a player as soon as they get the first look at AFL and I recon that happens almost in the first game or 3, then the development plan is individualised. Take Connolly for example, got his first game but it was clear he would need to go on a longer term plan. Windy though came in and it would have been clear he can go on a short plan, body type and skills AND confidence way better than Connolly. Byrnes I recon medium term plan.

And take Dunstan as another example. It was clear from his first few games he could go on the fast track plan but after 2 or 3 seasons it was becoming evident he couldn't elevate his game to be a top 4 finals player so career over. In 2 or 3 years we may learn Windy can't to the required level but he's probably going to play lots of AFL in that time and be allowed to develop at AFL level because he can.

So some have to develop at VFL some have what it takes to develop at AFL.

Sharman is a medium term, maybe long term development project.

Bytel is running out if time.

I think Byrnes is running out of time.

Connolly is way way off.
I believe strongly that when good form is not rewarded as has been the case for a few on that list… development stalls.
We have a rich history of players that start well and fall away and I reckon our approach to development contributes

As far as coaches having a feel…
We played Hind in a forward pocket and gave him away for nothing and he’s starting 22… looks really good at times.

Kent and Lonie outlasted him

I think it’s pretty reasonable to see that the coach’s’ feel isn’t always spot on.

To me it looks pretty clear that there is some illogical decision making at times

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where do the AFL pundits have us for 2022?

skeptic wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022 5:54pm

I believe strongly that when good form is not rewarded as has been the case for a few on that list… development stalls.
We have a rich history of players that start well and fall away and I reckon our approach to development contributes

As far as coaches having a feel…
We played Hind in a forward pocket and gave him away for nothing and he’s starting 22… looks really good at times.

Kent and Lonie outlasted him

I think it’s pretty reasonable to see that the coach’s’ feel isn’t always spot on.

To me it looks pretty clear that there is some illogical decision making at times
Good form in the VFL doesn't automatically translate to what is required to make it in the AFL. Surely you get it's important to use the right reference point.

And surely you aren't arguing players like Byrnes should be given a block of games in the AFL irrespective of whether he can make a contribution or not. Byrnes has had blocks of games and he has always been a mile off the pace. But as I say he's the type of player that at least should have been put on a medium term development plan, say 2 to 4 years. But how much more opportunity does he need?

Bytel another. Will be in the system for 5 years next year and has been passed by Windy and NWM in less than half a season.

Just because some kids can't make the grade doesn't mean a coach is crap and yes you have felt strong about that for a while but it's a false narrative Skeptic. I recon Ratts more than any coach we've had for a while to give kids opportunities. This season is exhibit A. False narrative to suggest otherwise