Training 26th January

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

Training 26th January

casual bike ride along the foreshore at Sandringham this morning ended up at beach road oval - saints were training

Only saw the ending 30 minutes - would have been 30 degrees at that point
without going into individual players (hard to pickout given number of changes over last few years)
there was an absolute focus on the physical side of the game (possibly running earlier)
tackling
bumping
wrestling
sheparding
there was a drill where players stood upright, legs grounded & facing each other & were belting each other with their shoulders - the noise of colliding flesh was amazing. Wilkie, Ross both prominent & agressive & OMG Joyce is a huge unit

Boys looked fit & strong
Great to have outside speed, however the inside game was focus this morning (as it should be)

Saintmike65
Club Player

Re: Training 26th January

Nick Walsh mantra is wrestling and running…loves boxing too!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

From kick it lace out of BF -

Saints training this morning at TB oval. Looked like the entire list (plus Spider Everritt's son) were all in attendance. Even Hanners! (although he didn't participate, more of a casual on-looker).

For those of you who were concerned about Wanganeen-Milera, the good news is he trained today. I read somewhere about a rumour that he had hurt his knee. Not sure if that's the case but he trained without any strapping so I'm assuming he's fully recovered if in fact he was injured.

There were a couple who looked like they may have been part of a rehab group (or potentially having their loads managed). This group included Gresh, JB & Paddy (I have to say Paddy looked like he's the slimmest he's been since he was drafted as a 17 yo - looks in absolute terrific shape.

From what I saw, there was a huge focus on ball movement and skills, particularly by foot with a lot of short sharp kicking to short options. Seems to be a definite focus on quick ball movement. Reminded me a bit of the way the Hawks moved the ball during the 2008-2015 era and it is clear to see the Hawthorn influence starting to take shape.

I must say for this time of year, the skills look really good. I didn't stay for the entire session so I didn't see any match sim work but the drills were short, sharp and high intensity. Coff was the standout for me in some of these drills, particularly the forwards vs defence drill. Played with confidence and presence and was willing to take the game on. I think that's when he's at his best. The boys look good and we have some really good depth on our list. Cheers everyone.

Geary & Kent trained, Hannebery present didnt train.

Saints58
Club Player

Thanks for the great recap of training I have the day off Next Friday does anyone know where we might be training?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Further to by kick it lace out -

i Didn’t really notice Spider Jnr other than while he was doing some running along the boundary. He is a decent size (I’d guess around the 193cm mark).

Of the youngsters, as per my last training report, young Josiah Kyle can do some special things. He still needs development but the way he moves and the pace he moves at….he has genuine X factor, but we’ll need to be patient.

I thought Sharman showed a bit today and Windhager looks like he belongs at this level. Also thought Michito showed a lot more today. He’s a pretty solid unit for his age

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

robbiemiur on BF added the following -

I watched some of the training at TBO yesterday. I spoke to one of the assistants who said that Windy was still building up after his injury but would be in full training in two weeks time. It sounded like he had completely recovered but they just didn’t want to rush him.

He also said how noticeable it was that players with six or more preseasons behind them were far fitter than any of the first to third year players, even the young ones with natural running ability.

I asked him about Cooper Sharman and he said that Sharman is the type of player who might play a couple of quiet games then go bang and kick a bag of six.

He was also a massive rap for Hunter Clark’s skills and evasiveness, and said Clark would be playing on-ball this year.

I’m not sure who he was but he was extremely confident that we would play finals and improve on our 2020 result. I don’t know if that was his personal opinion or that of the club as a whole, but it sounds very promising.

NB It sounds like there a lot of positivity around the club this preseason.