Expectations for Community Series 2022...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Expectations for Community Series 2022...

...and practice game..

..v Carlton late Feb (venue?..number of players?...minutes per quarter?..all to decided by clubs)
..v Essendon March 5th, Marvel

Do you expect to see,

a) trying to prioritise winning the game to build 'winning culture' ..'bonding over a win'..etc.,
b) experiments with structures, experiments with coaching, experiments with selection and positional changes?
c) both teams 'on the same page' regarding what they want to get out of it

And by the way, why do we keep losing against lowly Carlton anyway...(see seasons '19,'20 and '21..when we are supposed to have regained mojo and still lose to lowly Carlton at the end of the season.)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Expectations for Community Series 2022...

I want us to play our best side and win well.

summertime and the living is easy ........
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t we look really good in last years preseason games?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We beat (ironically) Carlton.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/556099/carl ... -to-saints

Carlton were injured.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I dont think we will see too many players being tried in differing positions.

Battle & Highmore competing for the opening CHB position - my money is on Battle.
Membrey now has some pressure for the 3rd tall forward position with Sharman & Wood pressing.
Butler, Byrnes & Billings will have pressure from Gresham, Hannebery (if ever fit), Kent, Windhager, Owens & NMW.
Bytel & Clark will be fighting for a permanent midfield position.
Coffield & Webster will be battling for the medium defender position.
Paton & Geary will put pressure on Sinclair & Hill.

I expect most players will already have a set position and there wont be a lot of throwing them around. It will be more bedding down how Ratts wants to play and managing player minutes.

When you look across the board we finally have some solid depth, the 2 x positions (full forward & full back) we were vulnerablle in last year now have possibles. If Howard or King go down we will struggle to fill the positions - but Highmore or Joyce could fill in at full back & Hayes or Marshall at full forward.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Wed 26 Jan 2022 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 4:10pm I dont think we will see too many players being tried in differing positions.

Battle & Highmore competing for the opening CHB position - my money is on Battle.
Membrey now has some pressure for the 3rd tall forward position with Sharman & Wood pressing.
Butler, Byrnes & Billings will have pressure from Hannebery (if ever fit), Kent, Windhager, Owens & NMW.

I expect most players will already have a set position and there wont be a lot of throwing them around. It will be more bedding down how Ratts wants to play and managing player minutes.

When you look across the board we finally have some solid depth, the 2 x positions (full forward & full back) we were vulnerablle in last year now have possibles. If Howard or King go down we will struggle to fill the positions - but Highmore or Joyce could fill in at full back & Hayes or Marshall at full forward.
Great comments IS!

1) I see Highmore as better than Battle (but my choice for CHB is now def Marshall)
2) Membrey, IMO, has come perilously close to being dropped in recent years. Only our diabolical badness and injury has kept him in. He tries, but not does he miss those goals!! He was going at 23:23 last year before a flurry at the end.
3) agree w/u re B,B&B
4) Clark? Mid ? Dunno? Our mid field isn’t exactly brimming with A gradeness

So many nterestimg possibilities

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 4:10pm I dont think we will see too many players being tried in differing positions.

Butler, Byrnes & Billings will have pressure from Hannebery (if ever fit), Kent, Windhager, Owens & NMW.

Nice summation!
I think it’s fair to say Battle will be given every chance but I believe that will be as a third tall in most games.
Wilkie is our best defender, despite being undersized, and will often get the opportunity against the best tall forward, as he has proven he’s capable against bigger bodies.
Likely will be Highmore vs Coffield for that hybrid intercept role.
Webster a lock, with Hill and Sinclair giving run and carry.
Bytel, Byrnes and Clark will likely be given greater midfield minutes, along with Higgins/ Gresham.
I think Membrey, King and Marshall as key forward targets, with Higgins, Butler & Billings buzzing around.
Hayes, Windhager, Owens and NWM likely won’t have to wait long to debut.
I also expect young Allison to get a taste of senior footy at some stage.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Feb game will be cancelled.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 7:23pm Feb game will be cancelled.
Why?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 12:17pm
Why?
Cause the vaccine isn't working.....

Only joking folks....don't go losing ya sh1it.

We still gotta laugh about it if that's possible..

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

As Gil McL said that there might be be top-up’ lists now to account for ‘safety protocols’ I expect to see some potential top ups tested in the community games.

Robertom!!

Come on up from Frankston?

Who else?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 12:38pm
Why?

I like to think that I've got a pretty broad sense of humour but I can't find anything funny about a virus that's killed almost 2000 people in this state so far and over 5.6 million world wide.
But you go ahead and make jokes if that's what floats your boat.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 5:27pm

Nice summation!
I think it’s fair to say Battle will be given every chance but I believe that will be as a third tall in most games.
Wilkie is our best defender, despite being undersized, and will often get the opportunity against the best tall forward, as he has proven he’s capable against bigger bodies.
Likely will be Highmore vs Coffield for that hybrid intercept role.
Webster a lock, with Hill and Sinclair giving run and carry.
Bytel, Byrnes and Clark will likely be given greater midfield minutes, along with Higgins/ Gresham.
I think Membrey, King and Marshall as key forward targets, with Higgins, Butler & Billings buzzing around.
Hayes, Windhager, Owens and NWM likely won’t have to wait long to debut.
I also expect young Allison to get a taste of senior footy at some stage.
I think Membrey's endurance will see him turn into more of a link player between defence and offence - maybe a bit like Roo was used.
He also has the ability to be a target up forward.
I'm not saying he's Roo but he can help fill that role that we've missed. He's a good mark, good field kick and pretty good set shot kick.
With King, resting Ryder/Marshall, and Sharman as presenting forward targets, it frees up Membrey to use his assets.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 2:01pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 12:38pm
Why?

I like to think that I've got a pretty broad sense of humour but I can't find anything funny about a virus that's killed almost 2000 people in this state so far and over 5.6 million world wide.
But you go ahead and make jokes if that's what floats your boat.
Apologies if you thought I was making a joke about death and misery caused from Covid. That was not what the joke was about and you would have to be across the No Jab thread to get the subtlemess of the humour that was intended.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 2:21pm Apologies if you thought I was making a joke about death and misery caused from Covid. That was not what the joke was about and you would have to be across the No Jab thread to get the subtlemess of the humour that was intended.
I think you've understated the mess!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 2:36pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 2:21pm Apologies if you thought I was making a joke about death and misery caused from Covid. That was not what the joke was about and you would have to be across the No Jab thread to get the subtlemess of the humour that was intended.
Sorry I don't quite get your point, can you elaborate.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 2:55pm
Spelling Error - Vortex underlined it for you!

Subtle Mess - There is no way the Sh!tstorm that is COVID is a Subtle Mess - kind of like as subtle as a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
The Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy wrote: The Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is an alcoholic beverage invented by ex-President of the Galaxy Zaphod Beeblebrox, considered by the Guide to be the "Best Drink in Existence." Its effects are similar to "having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick."

Beeblebrox advised that you should "never drink more than two Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters unless you are a thirty ton mega elephant with bronchial pneumonia."[1] However, Ford Prefect ignored this advice and consumed three Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters while at Milliways.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 5:42pm

Subtle Mess - There is no way the Sh!tstorm that is COVID is a Subtle Mess - kind of like as subtle as a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
The Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy wrote: The Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is an alcoholic beverage invented by ex-President of the Galaxy Zaphod Beeblebrox, considered by the Guide to be the "Best Drink in Existence." Its effects are similar to "having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick."

Beeblebrox advised that you should "never drink more than two Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters unless you are a thirty ton mega elephant with bronchial pneumonia."[1] However, Ford Prefect ignored this advice and consumed three Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters while at Milliways.
Ahh I see SD. Thanks for pointing that out. Love the HGG reference.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for explaining it to him...also, I did the underlining.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for explaining it to him...also, I did the underlining.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I wanna see Joyce at CHB, seeming none of you ill-informed miscreants accept that Marshall isn't our natural CHB.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Marshall is a ruck forward

Darragh will play key back - at Sandy

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 29 Jan 2022 3:16am I wanna see Joyce at CHB, seeming none of you ill-informed miscreants accept that Marshall isn't our natural CHB.
Darragh may get there at some point but he may have quite a Battle to get through first.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I'm just praying we've got a handful of new ideas to test out.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sat 29 Jan 2022 4:21pm I'm just praying we've got a handful of new ideas to test out.
From the people like Saint Mike who have been attending training sessions, it appears the team have been working on a short passing game with quick transition. Getting speed on the ball movement seems a priority.

As long as the list remains fit & healthy there is going to be huge competition on spots.