D Mac

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

D Mac

This time last year I did a post talking up Jimmy Webster, at that stage the forgotten man at the club.
I got surprisingly little support of him, with large numbers not having him in the team…reckon he ended up playing every game bar 2.
This time round I’m focasing on Dan McKenzie.
It’s safe to say I was one of his biggest critics but hey…I love to be proven wrong.
As a defender, he was a bit fumbly, prone to panic and a bit indecisive.
However, once he got his chance on the wing, when Hill went back in defence, D Mac has blossomed, now playing to his strengths and with that his confidence has grown, allowing him to make better decisions with ball in hand.
His ball use by hand and foot has also improved, now making him an important link between defence and attack…who would’ve thought this 12 months ago!

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: D Mac

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 11:22am This time last year I did a post talking up Jimmy Webster, at that stage the forgotten man at the club.
I got surprisingly little support of him, with large numbers not having him in the team…reckon he ended up playing every game bar 2.
This time round I’m focasing on Dan McKenzie.
It’s safe to say I was one of his biggest critics but hey…I love to be proven wrong.
As a defender, he was a bit fumbly, prone to panic and a bit indecisive.
However, once he got his chance on the wing, when Hill went back in defence, D Mac has blossomed, now playing to his strengths and with that his confidence has grown, allowing him to make better decisions with ball in hand.
His ball use by hand and foot has also improved, now making him an important link between defence and attack…who would’ve thought this 12 months ago!
I like his hardness at the ball and the man. We don't have enough players like that. But it is not enough, and now that he has added good disposal to his repertoire he is worthy of being in the best 22.

summertime and the living is easy ........
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s clear we want running power on the Wing with the ability to get back and help defend But in transition able to work forward.

I’d expect Ross, McKenzie and if he gets on the park Hannebery to fill these roles

Expect the two best ball users to play across HB
Sinclair and Hill

Whilst Billings, Higgins and Butler will play forward (occasionally Gresham)

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

DMac is a credit to himself how he has persevered and improved his game. I would have him in our starting 22 now as his two way running, ability to hit the score board, his strength in the air and his kicking are now best 22.

Seb Ross is a work horse and been a great foot soldier for the club, but if it came to chosing between the two I would have DMac in front at this time. Ross's kicking particularly when delivering into the F50 is a liability in the modern game.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ll bet you my Left Nut that Seb Ross will be in the senior team!

7 years of sustained performance trumps 6 months.

If I were going to guess

Ross and DMac who are both top 5 runners at the club will both start on the wing R1

The interesting ones IMO are

Battle
Coffield
Clark
Long

And where they fit?

I’m guessing back 7
Howard, Wilkie, Highmore, Webster, Sinclair. Hill then you’ve got
Paton, Coffield, Battle, Connelly battling it out for the last spot

Mids
Inside 5 Steele, Crouch, Steele, Jones then you’ve got
Byrnes, Bytel, Clark, Gresham who can play in the last spot?
Outside 3 Ross, D.Mac, then Billings, Byrnes, Hannebery, Clarke, NWM able to play wing.

Forwards
King and Membrey are Locks as are Higgins and Butler then you’ve got Billings and Gresham who can play small forward whilst Long, can play as a defensive HF
I see Kent as back up.
Sharman or Wood can play as hybrid 3rd
Resting Marshall or Ryder can also play as a deep anchor

So interesting with the 4 players mentioned above

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 5:45pm DMac is a credit to himself how he has persevered and improved his game. I would have him in our starting 22 now as his two way running, ability to hit the score board, his strength in the air and his kicking are now best 22.

Seb Ross is a work horse and been a great foot soldier for the club, but if it came to chosing between the two I would have DMac in front at this time. Ross's kicking particularly when delivering into the F50 is a liability in the modern game.

D Mac and Clark on the wings I’m hoping…Hannebery if fit rotating with them off the bench, as well as Byrnes, who I’m tipping will be important.
That kick inside 50 has never been more crucial IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dmac used to strike me as an athlete, who while he also had a great work rate and was hard as nails, lacked the good football judgement that is required to make it at AFL Level..

Last season he added the last quality and became an AFL footballer.

However being in the first 22 in 2022 if we have few injuries is going to be a difficult task. It is no beyond him, but competition is going to be fierce for those 22 places.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 6:40pm Dmac used to strike me as an athlete, who while he also had a great work rate and was hard as nails, lacked the good football judgement that is required to make it at AFL Level..

Last season he added the last quality and became an AFL footballer.

However being in the first 22 in 2022 if we have few injuries is going to be a difficult task. It is no beyond him, but competition is going to be fierce for those 22 places.
I wonder whether some of the younger guys will play blinders in praccy games (whether intra-club or not, covid-permitting) and their performances will force DMac into a spot as an emergency...

I don't see him getting many games, except thru others being injured or rested.
He's not best 22 in my book

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I like his hardness at the ball and man…he’s a bit of a beast and still has a bit of kamikaze about him. You wouldn’t want to be collected by him when he’s in full stride

His season last year was one of the few shining lights imo

#1 Ryder fan
minneapolis
Club Player

I was a major DMac critic. His panic with the ball was very frustrating. Someone has calmed him down and given him confidence. I think he was the biggest improver last season. And the kind of guy you want in there when the game gets hot now.

Well done Daniel. I am happily eating crow now.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think he and Sinclair improved out of sight last season.

Would be great if we could see similar development out of our other 50-100 gamers in 2022.

If we do, that is where the team's overall improvment will come from.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
wally
Club Player

Both he and Webster this time last year were copping it for being no good and having contracts.
Both took their chances and did well above expectations well done.

Whether they are in the first 22 or not is debateable but one thing for sure is they are great depth along with others
which makes us a better team able to cover injuries, form and resting/rotations

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I agree with what SRS posted, however I'd also add I'm not convinced about him being a premiership player. But I want him to succeed.

And I hope like hell he can because if we had a squad with his desperation, competitiveness, commitment and determination; a flag would almost be a certainty.

Just comes across as really likeable so there's that too.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Big improver. Quick, tough and likes a goal. Please persevere.

Russman
Club Player

He adds that aggression around the ball too , which I felt we lacked in the first half of the season.

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

D Mac's courage was there in spades in his very first game. It got my attention. What happened to his form prior to last year's form is a mystery. If he maintains a consistency that is at least at the level of last year, he has to be a lock. Fingers crossed they are all asked for their highest consistency & selection proves that.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure 2021 was his first good season

In 2018 he finished 10th in the B&F in 13 games

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't think I suggested it was B.M.. My post was about consistency. If he holds last year's form, it will take some very good players to push him out. It will also spotlight selection integrity.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 6:25pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 5:45pm DMac is a credit to himself how he has persevered and improved his game. I would have him in our starting 22 now as his two way running, ability to hit the score board, his strength in the air and his kicking are now best 22.

D Mac and Clark on the wings I’m hoping…Hannebery if fit rotating with them off the bench, as well as Byrnes, who I’m tipping will be important.
That kick inside 50 has never been more crucial IMO.
I'm hoping we throw Hunter in the true midfield. He's a bit slow for the wings and his work in heavy traffic is really good. I hope he takes over from late season Dunstan in that true on ball position.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 27 Jan 2022 11:31pm Not sure 2021 was his first good season

In 2018 he finished 10th in the B&F in 13 games
I don't know about on here but on Big Footy he was a whipping boy. He was a bit of a panicked disposer in the rebound back role and people found him stressful to watch. That t urns into open disdain on line.

To me his greatest asset is his ability to lift a gear when the side is losing momentum and application. I still remember him against the Eagles. He just lifted the whole side through real guts and extra efforts. He's almost the barometer now, if DMac plays well the Saints play well.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Always been a fan, glad to say. If he had been under a good coach early, who knows. Anyway he has one now. Can't wait till he lines up against the Dees, I think we will be pleased and Langdon won't.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Is it the coach who made him play alright?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 29 Jan 2022 10:49pm Is it the coach who made him play alright?
Don't know. Why don't you ask Dan....

https://www.saints.com.au/news/904034/d-mac-placeholder

https://www.saints.com.au/news/999822/h ... months-out

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 29 Jan 2022 10:49pm Is it the coach who made him play alright?
A move to the wing has definitely helped free up his game, you can see how much more he was enjoying his footy. That plus there was a log jam ahead of him of small defender positions, so Ratts made the right decision.

Having said that with Paton or Geary back in the side and Hill back to peak fitness. I would like to see Hill moved back to a wing where he can push forward and hit the score board more.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe a bit of a good run with injury helped too

He was tracking very well in 2018