Saints add son of club great to Next Generation Academy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Saints add son of club great to Next Generation Academy

Faulky63 wrote: Mon 24 Jan 2022 10:19pm St Kilda have confirmed Boston Everitt, son of club great Peter, has joined the Saints' Next Generation Academy for the 2022 season.

Boston has been previously affiliated with the Saints' junior ranks, having been part of their 'Futures' squad in 2019 as an U15s prospect.

The teenager is now in line to follow in the footsteps of his father, who played 180 games and booted 300 goals during his 10-year stint in the red, white and black.

Boston would also be accessible to the Saints as a father-son prospect, however the club has looked to create early links with the potential draftee in adding his name to their NGA cohort.

By the way.. how does he qualify as an academy player?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 8:45pm
Faulky63 wrote: Mon 24 Jan 2022 10:19pm St Kilda have confirmed Boston Everitt, son of club great Peter, has joined the Saints' Next Generation Academy for the 2022 season.

Boston has been previously affiliated with the Saints' junior ranks, having been part of their 'Futures' squad in 2019 as an U15s prospect.

The teenager is now in line to follow in the footsteps of his father, who played 180 games and booted 300 goals during his 10-year stint in the red, white and black.

Boston would also be accessible to the Saints as a father-son prospect, however the club has looked to create early links with the potential draftee in adding his name to their NGA cohort.

I dont think he does they have just added him to kick start his development with the other NGA kids.

mcadam05
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 6:50pm
mcadam05 wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 3:19pm
saynta wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 2:52pm
B.M wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 2:28pm Had of stayed

We win the flag in either 04 or 05

Only missing ingredient was a good ruckmen
Just goes to show that we are champions at trading in duds for super stars,. Been doing it since I was a teenager.
Evertt has gone from "great" too now "super star" your f****** taking the piss now arn't you , I do find it funny that some on here continue push the line that any player who leaves St Kilda and who 's over 6ft suddenly becomes some sort of reincarnation of Farmer, the Madden bothers and Cazaly all rolled in too one

Grant Thomas cleaned out the trash and Everitt was one of the first to go and too say we would of won a flag in 2004,05 if he had stayed is laughable too say the least

The Fact that he played at three clubs and he's disliked at all of them does take some skill
Gotta say sir, your dislike of Everite seems very intense and your not providing a lot of reasoning behind it.

I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say that Everite was one of the best rucks in the AFL over 96/98 and it’s no coincidence that when his form fell away so did we.

More so than that however… I’m shocked by your position that you don’t think a fit and firing Everite could have been the edge we needed over 04-06.
We had a great team but we’re seriously deficient in one area… the ruck
Lost lost him for little and then relied on Knobel then Brooks/Acland and Rix with Jason Blake and Matt Maguire pinch hitting

None of them can hold a candle to him on the middle

I don’t know that he was particularly hated at Sydney either

Regardless, if your argument is that we were better off for losing him the way we did… I’d love to see a justification because it seems pretty gobsmacking to me.

Am a huge GT fan but IMO this along with his influence to leave the Tassie deal we’re two disastrous decisions that cost us
so say for argument sake say I agree between 96 to 98 he was the best big man in game , but three really good seasons out of ten doesn't make him a club "Great". Now if you want too see a real Club Great go and watch Stewart Loewe's last game but well your watching watch the disdain and half ass performance that Everitt puts in and the disrespect he shows Loewe and funnily enough Everitt never played for St Kilda again hmmm go figure

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Let’s not forget Adelaide were missing the 97 Coleman Medallist and an 8 time All Australian in the GF

Vidovic played 7 games in 1997 was an average lumbering ruckman who played 90 games in 9 years at StK

I understand about cleaning out the trash
But let’s not pretend he couldn’t play

He was a multiple All Australian
He won a Best and Fairest

And on a few occasions kicked 40+ goals in a season
And was an elite tap ruckman

Imagine if Rowan Marshall bagged 40+ this season?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 9:15pm

Just goes to show that we are champions at trading in duds for super stars,. Been doing it since I was a teenager.
Evertt has gone from "great" too now "super star" your f****** taking the piss now arn't you , I do find it funny that some on here continue push the line that any player who leaves St Kilda and who 's over 6ft suddenly becomes some sort of reincarnation of Farmer, the Madden bothers and Cazaly all rolled in too one

Grant Thomas cleaned out the trash and Everitt was one of the first to go and too say we would of won a flag in 2004,05 if he had stayed is laughable too say the least

The Fact that he played at three clubs and he's disliked at all of them does take some skill
Gotta say sir, your dislike of Everite seems very intense and your not providing a lot of reasoning behind it.

I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say that Everite was one of the best rucks in the AFL over 96/98 and it’s no coincidence that when his form fell away so did we.

More so than that however… I’m shocked by your position that you don’t think a fit and firing Everite could have been the edge we needed over 04-06.
Lost lost him for little and then relied on Knobel then Brooks/Acland and Rix with Jason Blake and Matt Maguire pinch hitting

Regardless, if your argument is that we were better off for losing him the way we did… I’d love to see a justification because it seems pretty gobsmacking to me.

Am a huge GT fan but IMO this along with his influence to leave the Tassie deal we’re two disastrous decisions that cost us
so say for argument sake say I agree between 96 to 98 he was the best big man in game , but three really good seasons out of ten doesn't make him a club "Great". Now if you want too see a real Club Great go and watch Stewart Loewe's last game but well your watching watch the disdain and half ass performance that Everitt puts in and the disrespect he shows Loewe and funnily enough Everitt never played for St Kilda again hmmm go figure
Just FYI

Stewart Loewe - my favourite of all time

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 9:22pm
Vidovic played 7 games in 1997 was an average lumbering ruckman who played 90 games in 9 years at StK
I can’t recall if he was injured or not picked at the start of the season but he played the last seven games of the Home and Away. We won them all going from 8-7 to 15-7.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 9:50pm

Just FYI

What I loved about Stewie was he was always an incredible mark but his kicking when he started was average at best but he worked his arse off to get better & by the end of his career he was pretty reliable. But yeah skeptic he has very special spot in my heart too I love Stewie & what he bought to the Saints. Still amazes me with Lockett, Loewe ,Harvey , Burke, Winmar & Co & we still couldn't win a flag :cry:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 2:48pm How old is he ?
How big ?
Can he play ?
He's 15. Still has years to grow.
About half a foot shorter than his old man.
Plays ruck/forward. Goes alright.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 9:06pm

I dont think he does they have just added him to kick start his development with the other NGA kids.
He would have qualified with Brisbane or GC if he'd gone into their academy. Same as Nick Blakey at the Swans. We would have got him down for that reason. Gives us first option this way. We have had other FS players in our academy but so far haven't actually got a player out of it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 8:43am

He would have qualified with Brisbane or GC if he'd gone into their academy. Same as Nick Blakey at the Swans. We would have got him down for that reason. Gives us first option this way. We have had other FS players in our academy but so far haven't actually got a player out of it.
His mum is a Kiwi and he has been in our F/S Academy for a few years. It appears that the Academies are now open to all kids, but target certain groups, hence the rule changes about when you can bid.

So he appears to be about 180cm. His big sister is about 190cm, so there is hope.
It appears Spider has been waiting to see how he goes before committing to him joining the squad and spending more time in Melbourne, well he is coming and apparently he has good skills.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 9:07am

His mum is a Kiwi and he has been in our F/S Academy for a few years. It appears that the Academies are now open to all kids, but target certain groups, hence the rule changes about when you can bid.

So he appears to be about 180cm. His big sister is about 190cm, so there is hope.
It appears Spider has been waiting to see how he goes before committing to him joining the squad and spending more time in Melbourne, well he is coming and apparently he has good skills.
Dont they live on the GC, if so how does he qualify under NGA zones?

I was interested to see how tall he might grow to and the rule is to add the parents height, divide by 2 then add 63.5mm.

Peter 203cm - mother (?)175cm = 378cm ÷ 2 = 189 + 6.35 =195.35cm

mcadam05
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 9:50pm

Just FYI

We all Love Stewie , someone who had size but not the natural ability of Everitt , who from his first game too his last was always looking too improve unlike Everitt. Now maybe you can give a review on that last game of 2001 vs Melbourne , what did you think of Everitt's performance?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 9:56am
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 9:07am

Dont they live on the GC, if so how does he qualify under NGA zones?

I was interested to see how tall he might grow to and the rule is to add the parents height, divide by 2 then add 63.5mm.

Peter 203cm - mother (?)175cm = 378cm ÷ 2 = 189 + 6.35 =195.35cm
He is in the F/S Squad, he is ours. He joins the NGA because it is open to all kids, to expand the profile of the game. We don't have or need NGA nomination for Boston.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 10:23pm
I can’t recall if he was injured or not picked at the start of the season but he played the last seven games of the Home and Away. We won them all going from 8-7 to 15-7.
He was a massive loss going into that GF. Magnified more so by Spider going down the week before. Stars didn't align for us that finals series. Spider, Lazar, Nicky's dad, Stewie's sister.

mcadam05
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Jan 2022 4:18pm
kosifantutti wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 10:23pm
He was a massive loss going into that GF. Magnified more so by Spider going down the week before. Stars didn't align for us that finals series. Spider, Lazar, Nicky's dad, Stewie's sister.
Vidovic did his knee in rd 22 vs Port and Everitt was injured the follwing week in the first Final

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Apropos of several posts:
Hickey was badly coached at Saints.

GT seems to have goaded Spider into leaving to prove a point. An expensive, futile one.

Spider and Boston can probably see Saints have a very promising list, management and recruiting dept.
And you never forget your first.

Boston is an unusual Australian name. Is Spider a Celtics fan?

Glad no one wrote Boston's nic might be SOS.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 5:58pm
wally wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 4:57pm Peter was injured and missed 97 granny maybe a better result if he was available. Trading yes how about mc evoy then try to replace. Lots of naughty boys playing footy
For sure. We lost Spider one week and Lazar the next. Two aggressive men who had played most of the year. Was a massive hole for us in that GF.
Yep.

Terrible loss.

But I dunno if Spider would have made the difference 8-9 years later under Thomas. Didn’t GT famously say rucks don’t make a difference. He just looked at the hitouts vs clearances disconnect , and said , “bamn! There ya go…doesn’t make a difference”. Then for Thommo last match, he made the famous ( at least I thought so) call of not picking a specialist ruckman, and allowing Kossie to take first ruck duties in a final against Melbourne. I don’t know what the stats were,. I wasn’t taki
No much notice then, but you know, as a Saints fan, you are still connected, and when I heard we lost and GT was sacked..I said to myself…’I bloody.well knew this was gonna happen’. (Conceit of a supporter 101 lol) mattter of fact, apart from his ‘young flock’ I think GT was contemptuous of big men period.

So it wouldn’t surprise me if a poster writes here that GT threw out the rubbish and deemed Spider to be in it. Remember Spider had got himself quite tarnished by then.

Hawthorn liked recycled big men (and still does) and I wasn’t surprised he played well there. Maybe their culture is different? Ore businesss like?

And I agree to do sometimes champion our lost souls. Have a look at Stanley and the other one (can’t remember his name, captain of Hawthorn ) …these guys have done very well. Stanley maybe in and out, but it is a bloody successful team and he’s been at it ten years!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 30 Jan 2022 1:16pm
st.byron wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 5:58pm
wally wrote: Tue 25 Jan 2022 4:57pm Peter was injured and missed 97 granny maybe a better result if he was available. Trading yes how about mc evoy then try to replace. Lots of naughty boys playing footy
For sure. We lost Spider one week and Lazar the next. Two aggressive men who had played most of the year. Was a massive hole for us in that GF.
Yep.

Terrible loss.

But I dunno if Spider would have made the difference 8-9 years later under Thomas. Didn’t GT famously say rucks don’t make a difference. He just looked at the hitouts vs clearances disconnect , and said , “bamn! There ya go…doesn’t make a difference”. Then for Thommo last match, he made the famous ( at least I thought so) call of not picking a specialist ruckman, and allowing Kossie to take first ruck duties in a final against Melbourne. I don’t know what the stats were,. I wasn’t taki
No much notice then, but you know, as a Saints fan, you are still connected, and when I heard we lost and GT was sacked..I said to myself…’I bloody.well knew this was gonna happen’. (Conceit of a supporter 101 lol) mattter of fact, apart from his ‘young flock’ I think GT was contemptuous of big men period.

So it wouldn’t surprise me if a poster writes here that GT threw out the rubbish and deemed Spider to be in it. Remember Spider had got himself quite tarnished by then.

Hawthorn liked recycled big men (and still does) and I wasn’t surprised he played well there. Maybe their culture is different? Ore businesss like?

And I agree to do sometimes champion our lost souls. Have a look at Stanley and the other one (can’t remember his name, captain of Hawthorn ) …these guys have done very well. Stanley maybe in and out, but it is a bloody successful team and he’s been at it ten years!
A little out of context

GT famously said that rucks needed to be able to contribute more than just hit outs. He said that those that were competitive in the middle but did SFA had little value and he was right.
IIRC he got rid of Spider not based on talent but rather attitude.

Then once Capuano was sacked… I guy that was upstaged by a young Josh Frasier and even younger Matt Maguire in the same match… a fact that the media stopped talking about quickly, the BS narrative came into place that he hates all ruck men and that pbly contributed to his inability to recruit a decent one.

Remember that he famously had Dean Cox agreeable to terms before Gardiner went down and WCE improved their offer.

He also spent a high draft pick on an up and coming Barry Brooks…
Strange ploy for someone that didn’t believe in rucks

After that… the sad irony was that he got stuck with what he hated in the end, reliant on Knobel, Rix and Acland

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 30 Jan 2022 4:40pm
After that… the sad irony was that he got stuck with what he hated in the end, reliant on Knobel, Rix and Acland
Hey .... Rix Rox Rux!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!