What is Ratt’s coaching philosophy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

What is Ratt’s coaching philosophy?

Tell me clearly.

What distinguishes Ratten’s game philosophy from the others?

I don’t mean mental or in attitude.

We are talking meat and potatoes here. The basics of moving the ball, scoring goals and stopping the opposition doing it.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: What is Ratt’s coaching philosophy?

It was very distinctive in the first half of 2020

Roll numbers up to the contest, and spread forward like f***

Lots of speed on the ball… we were the quickest ball moving team at that point in time

Then it was counteracted when teams held their defensive 6 and kept shape behind the footy … Geelong did it best.

In 2021
We went slower, tried to become a stoppage team… pretty hard when Paul Hunter is you No 1 ruck

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think this addresses the specific things you’ve mentioned per’se... but in terms of philosophy, he clearly adopts the “you’ve proven yourself to me model”, whereby if you’re on his good list you’ll get a ton of chances and leniency with form and if you haven’t... we’ll you could have a decent patch of form and get dumped quickly on the back of one bad result.

Ratten of course is not unique to this way of thinking but it’s not a trait that I think is conducive to good results.

I also get the impression that he leans a little bit heavy on the stat sheet... sometimes, I think he looks at a performance and then finds stats that may make an individual’s output seem better than it was subjectively speaking. Don’t want to suggest that’s a fact, it’s the only explanation I have for how some players seem to be rated.

On the positive side... he seems very big on the positivity aspect and fostering an encouraging, inclusive environment and building a sense of team. Everyone seems to be working/playing for each other. I also get the impression that he lets the people around him do their jobs without too much interference which is a great quality. Backs his boys.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 12:04am It was very distinctive in the first half of 2020

Lots of speed on the ball… we were the quickest ball moving team at that point in time

Then it was counteracted when teams held their defensive 6 and kept shape behind the footy … Geelong did it best.

In 2021
We went slower, tried to become a stoppage team… pretty hard when Paul Hunter is you No 1 ruck
THank you B.M.

Is that short for Braynt and May?
Or am I playing with matches?

THank you. I have wondered about it.
Once we do the 'tumble-and-rush', and once opposition teams, 'man-the-trenches', we surely must have a counter-punch to that, and so you say we became more stoppage-based, and we clearly had 'mixed-results' to put it mildly. I think we miss Jack Stephen.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Recruit top talent
Win possession
Keep possession
Fast movement when opportunity presents
Team synergy
Surround yourself with top assistants
Work seamlessly with management, staff & players
Treat supporters with respect
Compete fiercely

gringo
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 12:04am It was very distinctive in the first half of 2020

In 2021
I thought in 2020 we used the ball by keepings off. Reloading off HB we used guys like Paton and Wilkie kicking short passes and moved the ball quickly by kick mark not run and carry. He positioned a couple of talls at the top of the square with Butler and another small sitting out the back for Joe-the-goose goals. I thought we used the same thing early in 2021 but the faster game due to the stand rule meant others moved it faster than us who looked like we lost the dare and sat and thought too long before disposal. I thought that the second half of the year we seemed to be much more happy to play a territory game with long bombs into the forward line rather than clean possession footy. Much more running with the ball too.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I don't think I have ever heard Brett Ratten spell out his coaching philosophy, and to be honest I haven't seen anything in his game plans or match day strategies that reveal the fundamentals of his philosophies - the items trotted out by Yorkeys are really nothing more than things that you'd expect every coach to believe in.

The time he spent when he coached Carlton and later working with Clarkson and Richardson will have provided him with plenty of IP to know what is required to develop a successful team and in 2020, and to some extent the 2nd half of 2021, he showed that he CAN coach.

2022 will be Ratten's real test because it's the last year of his current contract, the team has a tough draw so the pressure will be on!

He has a very good list with a core of players at the right age to play at their peak so barring injuries he has the potential to get the team to be top 6 by mid season and hold that place or finish even higher after Round 23 in mid August......

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
minneapolis
Club Player

I asked him privately and he said "Get the pill and kick it thru the Big Sticks more than the other team".

Refreshingly honest I thought.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

minneapolis wrote: Sat 22 Jan 2022 4:59am I asked him privately and he said "Get the pill and kick it thru the Big Sticks more than the other team".

Absolute genius. Hopefully nobody else catches on.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

remboy wrote: Sat 22 Jan 2022 12:48pm
minneapolis wrote: Sat 22 Jan 2022 4:59am I asked him privately and he said "Get the pill and kick it thru the Big Sticks more than the other team".

Absolute genius. Hopefully nobody else catches on.
Correct. The basics of football are pretty simple as legendary coaches such as Hafey, Jeans and Barrassi would always attest. Terminology such as "game plans" only became part of the vernacular when a copy of Collingwood's went missing under Tony Shaw's watch and found its way into opposition hands.

I'm pretty certain it said "Get the pill and kick it thru the Big Sticks more than the other team". Anything more risks over complicating things is doomed to fail. As StKilda supporters we have all seen this first hand.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Rest assured all teams dedicate several dozens of brain molecules to thinking about stuff like this.

Do you know how most goals are scored?

Clearances?
Kick-in chains?
Turn-overs?

I thought it would be clearances.
Wrong.
According to this article published at the apex of Richmond greatness in 2018
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-06/ ... mlFragment

It said Richmond do not prioritise clearances and knowingly allow themselves to be outnumbered at stoppages.

I think that is an indication of a deliberate strategy,

So what is St Kilda's. Obviously a lot is based on the personal available and their commitment and focus - their capacity to stay with the program so to speak.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

This might give us a clue:

Copyright: Luke Stubbs (youtube)

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

One thing we can be sure of is Ratts is not an egotist or an autocrat, like many before him. He is a positive individual and if he makes a blew he takes ownership and doesnt blame others. He is happy to share the decision making and likes to have player buy in on all the key decisions. I am confident he really does love the club and will do everything in his power to get us to the 'holy grail'.

So what is Ratts philosophy = create a happy and sucessful club.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 22 Jan 2022 5:12pm This might give us a clue:

THanks Samurai.

Great stuff.

Didn't talk much about game plans or tacticts but is pushing in that direction.

I don't really get the stats bit much, but;
a) choosing natural footballers
b) valueing mature-age recruits

makes sense..

MInd you, the narrator says he has been confused by the actual players picked.

Still, its a great video!

I noticed the AFL website's story on which teams will Rise, fall and Stall...(or something like those words) and it said St Kilda will take a fall this year.

I am getting psyched already..when it is 3 degrees it is easy (and I know high summer for you lot) ..but in the crazy Omicron world which is about to hit us here.

Seven weeks away from the Home and Away season!

minneapolis
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 22 Jan 2022 11:13pm

I am getting psyched already..when it is 3 degrees it is easy (and I know high summer for you lot) ..but in the crazy Omicron world which is about to hit us here.

Three degrees? That's a bloody heat wave. It is -20C here.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Sun 23 Jan 2022 7:37am

I've spent many winters in Japan - Even at 3 degrees it can snow like a blizzard!

Mind you, I've been in New York in very early spring, and it is still snowing at that time there too. Don't know about Minnesota except that a part of it is only accessible from Canada, so going by that it must be freezing!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 23 Jan 2022 12:34pm

I've spent many winters in Japan - Even at 3 degrees it can snow like a blizzard!

Mind you, I've been in New York in very early spring, and it is still snowing at that time there too. Don't know about Minnesota except that a part of it is only accessible from Canada, so going by that it must be freezing!
I don’t know if people in Minnesota call it the mid-west but I get the feeling it’s a horrid winter.
Those industrial cities full of concrete factories and it must be said, quite a lot of trees and green in widener months, must be hideously cold, grey and bleak and I can only assume that all the immigrants from Europe knew no better. But to think indigenous people froze threw thousands of years of it!

Sometimes I think the decline of the Midwest is due to the weather and everyone running to SoCal, but obviously it isn’t. How the southerners coming up from the Deep South to work in the factories coped, is another story!!

Fargo..
do you want pancakes?

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

As fans, we won't really know.

Game plan wise that will always change. He may have a preference to be attacking vs defending my guess is he prefers to attack.

His core philosophies will be around his management of players' staff etc.. how he thinks he can create a high-performance environment and can develop players to be the best versions of themselves. This is all stuff we won't know from afar.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 23 Jan 2022 2:05pm

I don’t know if people in Minnesota call it the mid-west but I get the feeling it’s a horrid winter.
Those industrial cities full of concrete factories and it must be said, quite a lot of trees and green in widener months, must be hideously cold, grey and bleak and I can only assume that all the immigrants from Europe knew no better. But to think indigenous people froze threw thousands of years of it!

Sometimes I think the decline of the Midwest is due to the weather and everyone running to SoCal, but obviously it isn’t. How the southerners coming up from the Deep South to work in the factories coped, is another story!!

Fargo..
do you want pancakes?
I hear they say that the state tree of North Dakota is a telephone pole! :lol:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ok...I found this article written in November.

https://www.statsinsider.com.au/blog/af ... crossroads

Gems

"If you’re a confused St Kilda fan, it’s unlikely you’re alone."

"With as many issues as there are facing the Saints, to go through the trade period without any interest in securing a player was puzzling and only furthers the case for fans to be confused and concerned."

"There were coaching disasters that took far too long to fix, such as not providing assistance to Max King, playing Tom Highmore, Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield out of position for too long and Jack Billings’ peripheral role that cannot warrant credit for being fixed by the end of the season, while Jade Gresham’s absence had an impact."

"Amassing a group of picks that can give the recruiters greater versatility and the coaching staff more options next year is vital to ensure St Kilda don’t lock themselves into the 2021 game style, because if they do, they could fall dramatically."

" the Saints got nine games out of Wood and either no or negative output from the rest of the additions."

"The big-name inclusion was Crouch, likely in a bid to turn the Saints into a strong clearance and tackling team through the middle to assist the existing smoothness of their outside play. Despite the player being prolific himself, it ended up adding another poor user to the group with no added speed or skill to deliver the ball inside 50. "

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Mmm again an interesting question in the OP when the author has found all their answers through google. Why the question if google holds an answer the author accepts?

minneapolis
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 23 Jan 2022 4:51pm

Fargo..
do you want pancakes?
I hear they say that the state tree of North Dakota is a telephone pole! :lol:
If you know North Dakota (my wife spent 2 years at UND in Grand Forks) that joke is hilarious!

With all the lakes in MN, the equivalent joke here in summer is that the State Bird of Minnesota is the mosquito.

minneapolis
Club Player

Fargo..
do you want pancakes?
At -20C it is too cold to snow. You are correct, the snow buckets down when it is -1C to -8C approx.

Yes we call our region the Mid-West when we are proud, and fly-over country when we feel ignored.

The state was settled by folks who recognized their home countries when they got this far west. Mostly Swedes, Norwegians and Germans. Thus we are very "liberal" and "hard-working". We are proud that we were the first state to join President Lincoln to free the slaves and the first state to give women the vote.

The winter is hard, that's for sure. The infrastructure is well prepared and the people are used to it. However it does wear on you after 30 years and people do move away for that reason. I am starting to feel that myself. *sighs - looks out at the thermometer on the snow covered deck devoid of life* They are replaced by young enthusiastic newcomers who are happy to get a well-paid job here. We have a great University system and that has spawned a lot of tech/engineering/medical companies.

MN is a well-run and well-taxed and well-funded state. It is not like the South. Our state has a $7.7 billion surplus for this last year.

And yes my girls will have homemade pancakes please with pure Maple Syrup. I like fresh strawberries on mine.

Great to talk to you guys.