Is Wood any Good?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Is Wood any Good?

The good, the bad and the ugly.
Discuss.

Low profile.

Kinda lost in the trees, so to speak.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Wood any Good?

He can play and was heading into a good patch of footy when he injured his hamstring. Unfortunately (injuries) have been a consistent theme throughout his career. If he can stay fit he will push for a spot in the side.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 19 Jan 2022 5:32pm The good, the bad and the ugly.
Discuss.

Low profile.

Kinda lost in the trees, so to speak.
Yes, I think so.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Clearly has talent but like many promising players, consistency has been an issue and it’s a little damning that however many years in, his best position/role is yet to be determined.

I think North made the mistake of playing him in the Tim Membrey type role but with more of an emphasis on acting as a marking forward…
And whilst he’s a decent grab, IMO he’s not big enough or strong enough for that. Whilst Membrey can pull that off… Wood is no Membrey and that’s not a knock on him. Who is?

Mason actually reminds me a lot of Justin Plapp… another player that was too undersized to be a key forward despite having a decent grab and by the time we figured out it was better to use his marking as a strength rather than a key feature of his game and put him on a HBF, his papers were more or less already stamped.

In Woods case however, it looks more like he could be suited as a HFF/defensive forward that pushes up the ground and can use his versatility up forward to take grabs/kick goals.

As mentioned above, he seemed to find his neiche before he got injured… but fingers crossed he slots right back in as the kid can run and poses a bit of a match up problem when he’s moving around.
Unfortunately times not on his side but he’s got every opportunity, he’s at his peak, is fit and experienced enough, has shown promise and now has every opportunity

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Mason Wood is nearly 6’4”

He’s not that undersized

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 19 Jan 2022 8:58pm Mason Wood is nearly 6’4”

He’s not that undersized
He doesn’t play tall all that well

Banger9798
SS Life Member

North Melbourne supporter mate summed him up as big potential, low consistency...and they got sick of waiting.

We've had a few like that.

Would be great to see him turn it on in the twilight of his career. In winning the time trial, it may be a sign that he has figured out what he needs to do to be consistent performer. Certainly has some attributes. From what I've seen he needs a dose of ruthlessness and willingness to hurt with his physicality

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Shane, you are a fly fisherman. Always toss out an unbaited hook. During a match you continually claim you are not watching the game. In the off season you a pretty good at critiquing players you claim you have not seen much of. Just my opinion, don't take offence. But all these threads serve to do is encourage Saints "supporters" to demean our players. They are soft targets. That is why I usually refrain from commenting in these types of threads.

However, in answer to your question:

1. Did I think it was a wise move in recruiting the delisted Noth Melbourne forward Mason Wood? No.
2. Did I see Wood to be anything more than a list top-up? No.
3. Has he surprised me with his overall contribution to the Club? Yes.
4. What does he bring to the team? He's quick for his height, very team oriented, defends well in the forward line is a good mark and kick. Brings a little X-factor to our game.

To channel Richo, he is pleasing.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 19 Jan 2022 10:03pm Shane, you are a fly fisherman. Always toss out an unbaited hook. During a match you continually claim you are not watching the game. In the off season you a pretty good at critiquing players you claim you have not seen much of. Just my opinion, don't take offence. But all these threads serve to do is encourage Saints "supporters" to demean our players. They are soft targets. That is why I usually refrain from commenting in these types of threads.

However, in answer to your question:

1. Did I think it was a wise move in recruiting the delisted Noth Melbourne forward Mason Wood? No.
2. Did I see Wood to be anything more than a list top-up? No.
3. Has he surprised me with his overall contribution to the Club? Yes.
4. What does he bring to the team? He's quick for his height, very team oriented, defends well in the forward line is a good mark and kick. Brings a little X-factor to our game.

To channel Richo, he is pleasing.
HeyTrev, no sweat.
I don't think I get the flyfishing thing, but I guess you are annoyed because I am being coy..?
Well, truthfully, I didn't watch footy at all until the last part of 2019, when we were all done and heading down the dustpipe again.

BUt I did always read reports.

I ended up getting a lot of media cliches into my brain, and I am good at spinning the BS so...
Then I started to watch more intensely through COVID and from feeling really bummed about my life and living in Japan etc. sob sob..we all got problems!

So I got to join the dots a bit.

And it is fascinating to connect to other fans this way and see how they interpret the story, the players etc.,

I also have a keen eye for the shadows...I mean, things that are not in the main picture or are disappearing off the radar. I thought to myself, what has become of this Wood guy? No one has him in their top teams. And I have already favoured the new kid in town at Centre-half forward (Sharman) after hie has only played four or so games!

And I admit there is a troll in me too...a pot-stirer - I confess...I will try to keep him on a short leache.

Still, despite all this..I do think he is a curiousity. As I also think Joyce is, for different reasons.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Wood only ever seemed to have been bought into the club for depth. He is better than that. A couple of injuries disrupted his season last year but I reckon he did enough to say he is a win for us. While he may never be an automatic selection he will keep other players honest.

Saint supporter since '62
minneapolis
Club Player

Edward Woodward would know about Wood.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think that if he makes it it's going to be as a high roaming HF who provides a marking option coming out of defence. But he can also start fairly deep during centre bounces and capitalize on the fact that he's getting the third or fourth defender.

With Battle seemingly transitioning to defence I'd say Wood and Sharman are competing for one spot. Membrey is locked in (for now), though if Wood is in the 22 then Membrey plays deeper forward. If Sharman is playing then Membrey pushes up further.

In the four full games Wood played between rounds 11-16, he was averaging 17.8 disposals, 5.5 marks, 5.3 tackles and kicked 6.2. If he could maintain that for an entire season he'd be in the AA conversation. He definitely has the skills, athletic ability, footy brain and size to make it - I think it will come down to consistency and durability.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

When he is out there he has been better than handy. He was very good in a game against the Swans in Sydney from memory.

His main issue is that he is often injured, and that was his problem at North Melbourne.

He is a good depth player and when he does come in, he brings value.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

He is actually a very good player, with some X-factor, but injuries have held him back over his career just when he was getting into form. If he can stay injury-free in 2022, then he may well be up there in our goal-kicking, but it might be a contest with Sharman to get a position in the forward line.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The answer to the thread title is "yes".

Is he good enough to be in our best 22? "Maybe"

Time will tell, brought in for depth but his commitment in pre season and at training may see him advance from depth status to be much more than a match up headache for particular oppositions. It is then he needs to seize and cement his position.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I think Wood is a good player and was happy when St Kilda picked him up.

Unfortunately I can't find a place for Wood in my best 22, at best an emergency, if everyone is available for selection.

So really only a depth player on the list, albeit a good one....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Saintmike65
Club Player

I was really impressed with Wood at the last training session before Christmas, his intensity and energy were obvious.
Hope to see him train tomorrow, as Sharman has been a bit 'off' recently and you'd imagine those 2 would be competing for the one spot in the team.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's reasonable as a third banana. At North, he was often second, and sometimes first banana. I'd prefer him to play in a running role, occasionally getting forward to create a mismatch.....but then, there are others ahead of him. He's one of those 'almost' types. We've had a few, like Troy Schwarze, Matthew Ferguson, Blake Acres, Arryn Siposs, and Tom Lee. Frustrating, because you know they can play, but they just can't maintain the rage.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 20 Jan 2022 4:44pm He's reasonable as a third banana…..
…..you know they can play, but they just can't maintain the rage.
So a course of pre-game amphetamines is indicated. I am sure the mental health industry can take care of this..surely!

So seriously, am I seeing a lack of intent? Because reports of him training hard indicate something is up, so you wonder, was something down?

Anyway, if he could do a Podsieadly (spelling?? The 28 year old physio who became really good at Geelong) …it would be fantastic

gringo
Saintsational Legend

North mates thought he was going to be a star, then injury and consistency conspired against him and every time promise was shown he seemed to break down. He's talented but just doesn't seem to be able to get it all on the park with any continuity.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 12:13pm North mates thought he was going to be a star, then injury and consistency conspired against him and every time promise was shown he seemed to break down. He's talented but just doesn't seem to be able to get it all on the park with any continuity.
In other words, respectfully, we bought another lemon.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 2:12pm
gringo wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 12:13pm North mates thought he was going to be a star, then injury and consistency conspired against him and every time promise was shown he seemed to break down. He's talented but just doesn't seem to be able to get it all on the park with any continuity.
Hardly. Fair suck/shake of the sauce bottle eh mate ?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 5:36pm
Special sauce mate.
Check out these ingredients

Calf (x3)
Knee (x3)
Quad
Thumb
Back
Concussion
Hamstring

And bottled for seven years with only 42 outings.

We know how to pick a good sauce.

Hope he ‘comes good’ and all that..

You have to like the talent and speed.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 7:10pm
Special sauce mate.

Calf (x3)
Knee (x3)
Quad
Thumb
Back
Concussion
Hamstring

I'm suspecting whoever nailed you for picking a soft target for people to hang sh!t on was correct.

You already had your opinion, hence you already had your answer with your own answer to anyone who offered a different opinion.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 8:00pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 7:10pm
Special sauce mate.

Calf (x3)
Knee (x3)
Quad
Thumb
Back
Concussion
Hamstring

I'm suspecting whoever nailed you for picking a soft target for people to hang sh!t on was correct.

You already had your opinion, hence you already had your answer with your own answer to anyone who offered a different opinion.
OK!

I didn’t have my opinion anymore than you had a suspicion

I said he was an unknown to me..and he still is , but less so!

Because of all the injuries mentioned here, j checked. It took ten seconds on the train, and there is a list.

And Saynta added fair sauce so I went with that.

Calm down !!

I’m not bagging the guy.