Knocking on the door. Max Heath

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Knocking on the door. Max Heath

From afl.com.au

Max Heath

A slew of injuries in 2021 meant the Saints blooded a lot of youngsters, leaving only two players on the list without a senior game to their name. Mid-season pick-up Heath will become an understudy for the Saints’ dynamic ruck duo of Rowan Marshall and Paddy Ryder, and could become the future of St Kilda’s ruck plans as veteran Ryder nears the end of his career. Selected with pick No.7 in the 2021 NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft, Heath stands at 204cm tall and already has great physicality despite not yet becoming a full-time member of the AFL program due to Year 12 commitments. There will be no shortage of ruck mentors for Heath around Moorabbin, with St Kilda recently signing 30-year-old Tom Campbell as a delisted free agent to further bolster the Saints’ ruck stocks. The only other listed player yet to debut, Matthew Allison, was selected with the Saints' first pick in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft. At 195cm tall, Allison has strong overhead abilities and was recruited as a key forward, but has played on the wing and in defence for St Kilda's VFL affiliate Sandringham since being drafted. - Sophie Welsh

Others yet to debut: Matthew Allison

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Knocking on the door. Max Heath

Well come on in Max. Sit next to Tom and think about getting a run in May. Injury or player management might make that April, but certainly be ready in May.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's a big unit already. Hopefully that will allow him to be competive at an earlier age

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

There is no rush and I doubt either Heath or Allison will debut this year? Both have a long way (physically) to improve before they are AFL ready. NWM & Windhager would be more likely to debut this year, but hopefully the senior side has a better year with injuries and all these kids are given the time they need to develop. Hopefully Heath & Allison become solid AFL players, but I wouldnt be expecting them to play this year.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 04 Jan 2022 8:57pm There is no rush and I doubt either Heath or Allison will debut this year? Both have a long way (physically) to improve before they are AFL ready. NWM & Windhager would be more likely to debut this year, but hopefully the senior side has a better year with injuries and all these kids are given the time they need to develop. Hopefully Heath & Allison become solid AFL players, but I wouldnt be expecting them to play this year.
Not impatient enough, IS.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Knocking on the door for Sandringham maybe

He’s a mile off… long term prospect

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Wed 05 Jan 2022 7:15pm Knocking on the door for Sandringham maybe

Agree we needed to invest in a up & coming ruck man & Max is a good pick up but he is not ready for what's required to compete with the bigger bodied & more experienced blokes ATM IMO

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Wed 05 Jan 2022 11:21pm

Agree we needed to invest in a up & coming ruck man & Max is a good pick up but he is not ready for what's required to compete with the bigger bodied & more experienced blokes ATM IMO
204cm and 94kg. That's pretty big. Its also been mentioned, even at club level, he don't mind throwing that around and is a mentally tough character.
He is also a leaping ruckman in the mould of Ryder, who pursues the ball at ground level like Marshall.
Compared physically to King, he could play next year. Maybe not first ruck, but he could play.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 12:33am

204cm and 94kg. That's pretty big. Its also been mentioned, even at club level, he don't mind throwing that around and is a mentally tough character.
He is also a leaping ruckman in the mould of Ryder, who pursues the ball at ground level like Marshall.
Compared physically to King, he could play next year. Maybe not first ruck, but he could play.
It was mentioned by someone at the club before the break that Max has a lot of work to do on his endurance. Plus you only had to look at him standing next to Campbell, he is like a bean pole in comparison. I dont know where you got the leaping ruck comparision from? That couldnt be further from reality, he can jump but he relied on his physicality at the Under 18 level (more in the Mumford mould). Id be very very surprised if he plays AFL this year!!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 2:01pm

It was mentioned by someone at the club before the break that Max has a lot of work to do on his endurance. Plus you only had to look at him standing next to Campbell, he is like a bean pole in comparison. I dont know where you got the leaping ruck comparision from? That couldnt be further from reality, he can jump but he relied on his physicality at the Under 18 level (more in the Mumford mould). Id be very very surprised if he plays AFL this year!!
https://www.saints.com.au/video/951050/ ... 2690542001

Fair enough. Looks like he is leaping pretty well in this to me.

There's much more by way of U/18 analysis if you need it. Not quite sure I ever saw Mummy doing that and he appears to be able to do it better than Marshall can. He is 2 inches taller and 10kilos lighter than Mumford and I dont think I like him tackling me.

You might be right but I'm not sure you can be so certain.

Play him down if you like but if King could take his 202/83 frame out on the ground, this kid won't struggle.

He doesn't need to be a midfielder, he could ruck the front half and he won't learn quicker anywhere else. Some ruckman have the drive and ability to do it early, some don't.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 2:56pm

There's much more by way of U/18 analysis if you need it. Not quite sure I ever saw Mummy doing that and he appears to be able to do it better than Marshall can. He is 2 inches taller and 10kilos lighter than Mumford and I dont think I like him tackling me.

Play him down if you like but if King could take his 202/83 frame out on the ground, this kid won't struggle.

He doesn't need to be a midfielder, he could ruck the front half and he won't learn quicker anywhere else. Some ruckman have the drive and ability to do it early, some don't.

King is pretty agile though so weight might not be as critical for him. Being thrown into the ruck is pretty brutal He might want to start out as a KP player and have some time taking the around the ground taps to ease into it. He actually looks thinner since he started training with the Saints, we might have to start working on bulk muscle with him.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Then there is this.

I think the Mumford reference is more about his ability to grapple and use his weight, no doubt about the Marshall and Ryder comparisons though.

I'm not saying he will play but I'm not accepting he can't leap.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

204 and 94 is skinny

Max is 202 and 94
And he doesn’t have to ruck and have 105kg monsters jump into him

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 3:59pm 204 and 94 is skinny

Max is 202 and 94
And he doesn’t have to ruck and have 105kg monsters jump into him
He is now.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

How big is Paddy BM?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

197 and 94

Amazing jumping ruckman who uses athletic capabilities and technique to his advantage

Paddy uses those monsters as step ladders

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 5:24pm 197 and 94

Amazing jumping ruckman who uses athletic capabilities and technique to his advantage

Paddy uses those monsters as step ladders
Did you see the video above?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bet you guys would have been against playing big Carl for 2 or 3 years. :roll: Seeing he was only 17.

SaintJohno
Club Player

Seems like he might be a cracker. Happy to see him sit out and get super fit over the next year or two.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 6:47pm

Bet you guys would have been against playing big Carl for 2 or 3 years. :roll: Seeing he was only 17.
Different planet, different culture back then. I can remember going to the VFA in about 1974, going out on the ground at Waverley to the 3/4 time huddle and seeing players having a 3/4 time smoke

minneapolis
Club Player

The next Justin Madden!

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Carl was generational and ended up being an all time great

Max is a tall kid learning to play footy and how to ruck

Gershwin
Club Player

Wow, you only had to go back 60 years to find an exception to the rule. :roll:

summertime and the living is easy ........
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 2:56pm

I don't see anything in that footage to say he's a leaper a la Ryder.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 10:42pm

Different planet, different culture back then. I can remember going to the VFA in about 1974, going out on the ground at Waverley to the 3/4 time huddle and seeing players having a 3/4 time smoke

What a f****** ridiculous comment. Who gives a f*** what happened in the VFA 50 years ago. I was talking about the Saints playing a young 17 year old in the first game of the year against a top side who then went on to be BOG in 1963. He gave his much feted opponent a bath.

A chance some on here would oppose these days and deny Heath the same opportunity.

Your continual attempts to put s*** on my post shows you up as a bit of a dill. At least on this occasion. I will still bet on young Heath being given that chance