Will Hanners be in Ratts best side in 2022

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will Hanners be in Ratts best side in 2022

B.M wrote: Tue 04 Jan 2022 1:28pm There’s a difference between not being fit and being injured.

Hannebery injury free would be in the fittest 5 at the club

His body keeps breaking down.

Last year, pre season he won the time trial.
Yep. Pity is that there is so much rubbish posted on this forum as fact.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

It is possible Dan is not improving with time but has plenty enough left to be be in best side. Might start on bench and be an attacking impact player or to stop opposition momentum. Still waiting to hear from Dan as to how he feels he best fits into the team; will advise as soon as he says, but he may just keep his own counsel, head down bum up and just what the coach asks.

Nevertheless, always thought his advice to our young players and their access to his experience invaluable.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 04 Jan 2022 2:35pm
B.M wrote: Tue 04 Jan 2022 1:28pm There’s a difference between not being fit and being injured.

Yep. Pity is that there is so much rubbish posted on this forum as fact.
The undeniable fact is he has under performed because he is continually injured. He was a good player & if he can get his body right then he might just earn his money & that is fact :wink:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Do you think we would ever get to the stage where we actively manage some of our older players ? Eg play them for 2 weeks in a row and then rest them on the 3rd week , even though they are fit ?.

I just can’t see guys like Hannebery and Ryder playing more than 4 or 5 games in a row without breaking down. I’d prefer to nurse them through the season and then roll the dice during the finals and hope they can play all the games in September.

I think 2022 will throw up a few new curveballs with players sitting out who test positive. Just like is happening now in most other sports.

Our best 22 is capable of going deep into September- but the problem will always be keeping them all on the park.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Tue 04 Jan 2022 10:02pm

Do you think we would ever get to the stage where we actively manage some of our older players ? Eg play them for 2 weeks in a row and then rest them on the 3rd week , even though they are fit ?.

I just can’t see guys like Hannebery and Ryder playing more than 4 or 5 games in a row without breaking down. I’d prefer to nurse them through the season and then roll the dice during the finals and hope they can play all the games in September.

I think 2022 will throw up a few new curveballs with players sitting out who test positive. Just like is happening now in most other sports.

Our best 22 is capable of going deep into September- but the problem will always be keeping them all on the park.
Agreed. This has to be the tact for the older guys and also provides motivation for the younger ones. Byrnes could be ready to step up and we will find out what Heath has at Sandy if and when Campbell steps in for Ryder. There's also Geary, who wouldn't surprise me if he finds form but breaks down again. We know we have him covered though.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Tue 04 Jan 2022 10:02pm

I’ve been advocating for this since Aaron Hamil so my impression is absolutely not.

Whether it’s the club or players themselves, they just don’t have that broader, self-preservation instinct or long term thinking.
It seems as though it’s all about now with them all

I 100% agree with you though… AFL in between the rough and tumble is so 100% intensity at every contest, then come off, rest for 2min and back to 100%, a lot of players really capitulate under that style as fatigue builds up.

And that’s when players typically get injured, not the first or second game back but thereafter. IMO ppl need to either be freaks like Lenny Hayes and adopt an almost obsessive adherence to recovery and prep… or they need a week off every few weeks, especially those that are older or prone to soft tissue injuries

Shaggy
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 03 Jan 2022 9:59pm
Shaggy wrote: Mon 03 Jan 2022 8:16pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 02 Jan 2022 2:56pm
ace wrote: Sat 01 Jan 2022 6:34pm Meaningless
The best 22 side will never take the field together.
Whatever side does take the field, if fit Hannebery will be in that 22.
Disagree with this way of framing 'the best 22'...

I think you can, and you should have an idealization of the best 22, regardless.

But it has to include robustness.

And Hannebery is not robust.

Two or three good games in three years. I don't think he has played two good games in a row.

Now if he comes on and plays 22 great games, wins the Brownlow, then bravo, fine and all that. But calling it as we see it now, it doesn't seem likely.
He may still squeeze into our best 22 despite everything, because we have a really mediocre midfield.
Dan averages more possessions per time on ground then any other Saint since he joined us.

He is generally not on the park long enough to make the best because he is playing underdone. This year he averaged 20 possessions in 60% game time.

Regardless his ability to find the ball is a fair effort given his lack of match fitness.

Most players really struggle when they miss large chunks of seasons. Robbo, Jack Steven and Carlisle as examples. Dan shows a resilience most players do not have.

If Dan gets game continuity in 2022 he will be top 5 at the club.
Mnn..
So he wasn't ready to play?
It's a bit chicken and egg isn't it.
If he lacks match fitness then he has to run those legs off at Sandy until he is ready, and doesn't have to be treated with kid gloves.

But such was our predicament, that he was thrown into the ring. Given the evidence, he obviously wasn't fit enough to play a series of games in the reserves (sorry Sandy fans), so he was 'wheel-chaired into these games.
It is not an indictment of his robustness.
Hopefully, he'll turn back the clock to 2014, but I see him at best as being a 'linking player'. Perhaps he could be a goal sneak, but I don't think he is especially known for silky disposal and kicking. He certainly can (could) pick up the ball nicely.
Players rushed back to play on restricted time after injury in 2021 include:

Rowan Marshall – after missing 6 weeks – Rounds 15 to 17 - 65%, 64% & 71% TOG
Zac Jones – after missing 8 weeks – Round 17 - 60% TOG
Dan Hannebery - after missing 18 weeks – 58% & 62% TOG

None of Marshall, Jones or Dan were in the best in the games because of the restricted TOG. It does not mean they did not play well when they were on the ground.

You may have the view that Marshall, Jones & Dan should not be treated with kid gloves and should only be allowed to play in the firsts when they can run out a full game but I am glad you have no say in it.

I am impressed that Dan continues to accumulate possessions at a greater rate than other Saints since joining us.

Hopefully he will be injury free next year so we can see the total package.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Is he off the gear

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Tue 04 Jan 2022 11:16pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 03 Jan 2022 9:59pm
Shaggy wrote: Mon 03 Jan 2022 8:16pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 02 Jan 2022 2:56pm
ace wrote: Sat 01 Jan 2022 6:34pm Meaningless
The best 22 side will never take the field together.
Whatever side does take the field, if fit Hannebery will be in that 22.
Disagree with this way of framing 'the best 22'...

I think you can, and you should have an idealization of the best 22, regardless.

But it has to include robustness.

And Hannebery is not robust.

Two or three good games in three years. I don't think he has played two good games in a row.

Now if he comes on and plays 22 great games, wins the Brownlow, then bravo, fine and all that. But calling it as we see it now, it doesn't seem likely.
He may still squeeze into our best 22 despite everything, because we have a really mediocre midfield.
Dan averages more possessions per time on ground then any other Saint since he joined us.

He is generally not on the park long enough to make the best because he is playing underdone. This year he averaged 20 possessions in 60% game time.

Regardless his ability to find the ball is a fair effort given his lack of match fitness.

Most players really struggle when they miss large chunks of seasons. Robbo, Jack Steven and Carlisle as examples. Dan shows a resilience most players do not have.

If Dan gets game continuity in 2022 he will be top 5 at the club.
Mnn..
So he wasn't ready to play?
It's a bit chicken and egg isn't it.
If he lacks match fitness then he has to run those legs off at Sandy until he is ready, and doesn't have to be treated with kid gloves.

But such was our predicament, that he was thrown into the ring. Given the evidence, he obviously wasn't fit enough to play a series of games in the reserves (sorry Sandy fans), so he was 'wheel-chaired into these games.
It is not an indictment of his robustness.
Hopefully, he'll turn back the clock to 2014, but I see him at best as being a 'linking player'. Perhaps he could be a goal sneak, but I don't think he is especially known for silky disposal and kicking. He certainly can (could) pick up the ball nicely.
Players rushed back to play on restricted time after injury in 2021 include:

Rowan Marshall – after missing 6 weeks – Rounds 15 to 17 - 65%, 64% & 71% TOG
Zac Jones – after missing 8 weeks – Round 17 - 60% TOG
Dan Hannebery - after missing 18 weeks – 58% & 62% TOG

None of Marshall, Jones or Dan were in the best in the games because of the restricted TOG. It does not mean they did not play well when they were on the ground.

You may have the view that Marshall, Jones & Dan should not be treated with kid gloves and should only be allowed to play in the firsts when they can run out a full game but I am glad you have no say in it.

I am impressed that Dan continues to accumulate possessions at a greater rate than other Saints since joining us.

Hopefully he will be injury free next year so we can see the total package.
I didn't say he should be treated with kid gloves. I said we had no choice because of the circumstances. So, this means they play 50-60% when it is deemed it is the best option for the team.
But we are often told that selectors only choose those passed as fit to play, but that is a bit of a white lie because team situation dictates the situation in an emergency and I would say emergency could be our dreadful start to the season 2021 which put incredible pressure on the whole team and support staff alike. Plus, the embarrassment that Hannebury recruitment (through no fault of his own) has brought to the club would need to be somewhat expunged if Hanners put in a few solid games in a row. This must also factor into the situation.
I am not knocking Hanners. I hope he kills it.

On a side note relating to kid gloves, didn't Marshall aggravate his back or was that another injury?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
minneapolis
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 05 Jan 2022 12:46am Is he off the gear
Nudist you mean?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Gershwin
Club Player

What a dreadful post … even by Saintsational standards.

summertime and the living is easy ........
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Maybe has done like that old rumour about Hird and Carey suggested.
Had a series of steroid injections and enough time to heal and pass a drug test.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Wed 05 Jan 2022 11:08am
It’s a reference to Geary, and being in the leadership squad of 2019. And what a squad!!! Can you believe the five leaders were proudly proclaimed in Feb 2019..

1) Geary. 2/10. Unavailable, injured, slow and barely make the side nowadays.
2) Robby. 0/10 Terribly unluck, couldn’t participate, gone
3) Ross. 5/10. Has played.I don’t think with the intensity of the past. Almost left the team.
4) Members 6/10 Patchy and sometimes brilliant..best of the lot
5) Hanners 1/10 Made himself available…has tried..3 good games max.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross

Top Ten in the B&F 7 years in a row

Won 2 … runner up once

Yep 5/10

Freebird
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 05 Jan 2022 4:50pm Seb Ross

Won 2 … runner up once

Yep 5/10
BM, when avail would you expect ross to be an auto selection this year?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Without a question

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Gershwin wrote: Wed 05 Jan 2022 11:08am
I think you need to know why Sydney were keen to off load him

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Won 2 … runner up once

Yep 5/10
You are right, a bit..I give him 6/10.

He is a bit of an enigma for me, and was so I was disappointed I am biased.

I suppose he is a real quiet achiever and it need not be necessarily an intensity thing.

He is still in my best 22 although there are some for whom he is not. (Is that English?)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 1:03am

Won 2 … runner up once

Yep 5/10

I suppose he is a real quiet achiever and it need not be necessarily an intensity thing.

He is still in my best 22 although there are some for whom he is not. (Is that English?)

He gets a bad rap old Seb, he was one of our better players when we were a bit thin on the ground. His best footy is as an outside unaccountable mid but his disposal and decision making aren't great. Having Crouch has pushed him to play a wing/ HBF hybrid role with the occasional run on the ball but he's had to adapt. His 2020 was poor but 2021 he seemed to get some pace back and was moving a lot better laterally.

He's turned into a soldier rather than a prime mover which is probably good for both, he does some incredibly good forward 50 entry work and some absolute howler blind kicks that have little chance of working out. He minimised that this season though so will get a walk up spot again unless we have an absolutely huge lift from a couple of kids like Byrnes and Bytel. Then he's back competing with guys like McKenzie for a wing position.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Calf injury? Just a rumour, or real?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If Ross is an ‘auto selection’ this season then we may as well go and book those September holidays now

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 8:06am If Ross is an ‘auto selection’ this season then we may as well go and book those September holidays now
:roll:

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Byrnes has already moved ahead of Hanners - as he's likely to play 10 more games per year.

Hopefully Owens and Windy will complete the hatrick.

Saintmike65
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 1:08am Calf injury? Just a rumour, or real?
There might be something in it...He just ran laps yesterday and didn't train Monday.
He did, however, seem very upbeat yesterday and, unlike this time last year, didn't have a compression bandage on his calf.

Saintmike65
Club Player

gringo wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 2:53pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 1:03am

Won 2 … runner up once

Yep 5/10

He gets a bad rap old Seb, he was one of our better players when we were a bit thin on the ground. His best footy is as an outside unaccountable mid but his disposal and decision making aren't great. Having Crouch has pushed him to play a wing/ HBF hybrid role with the occasional run on the ball but he's had to adapt. His 2020 was poor but 2021 he seemed to get some pace back and was moving a lot better laterally.

He's turned into a soldier rather than a prime mover which is probably good for both, he does some incredibly good forward 50 entry work and some absolute howler blind kicks that have little chance of working out. He minimised that this season though so will get a walk up spot again unless we have an absolutely huge lift from a couple of kids like Byrnes and Bytel. Then he's back competing with guys like McKenzie for a wing position.
With all due respect to Seb Ross, we need to move forward from players of that ilk being automatic selections...I would love to see bold selections slanted towards our young players which would bring energy & enthusiasm.