New Centre-half back - Holla a Marshall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: New Centre-half back - Holla a Marshall

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 4:45pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 10:13am
saynta wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 9:27am I get really pissed off when ignorant fans post unsubstantiated crap as gospel when talking about our young players.

But hey, it's christmas and the season for good cheer and forgiveness so I will let the comments about Battle and Marshall even, pass.
Yes, Saynta. Forgive the seasonal frivolous banter in the name of Saint Nic.

But you have to admit it is an idea worth some merit.

1) Battle is not a proven KPP..He has been around and around. If he settles, bravo. But if he is found wanting..too slow? , can't leap, can't switch sides fast enough etc., then he will not be a regular KPP in a top 8 side.

2) Marshall is a champ, but he's not a killer in the forward line.

3) Cooper Sharman has shown something special already.
What do you want Battle to do, wrestle beanpoles and gorillas or run and leap and change sides.

Get hold of some 2019replays of Battle playing CHB.

While it would have been great if he turned into a big mid, he didn't, but he is a tough competitor and highly skilled at reading the play.

Marshall is a midfielder and a decent ruckman. He will definitely find himself cutting off HB at times but its moronic to suggest we should waste him at CHB.
Yes
It won’t happen, I suppose..
We can’t afford to spare Marshall. Ryder will not play every game and will frequently be rested when playing.

But I do think our defense is vulnerable and as Carlisle faded and disappeared it became more obvious.

I know there is exciting talent in Paton, Coff, Highmore and reliability in Wilkie, Howard and Webster, but we were regularly ripped apart last year around the Centre and we always look vulnerable on kick outs from behinds.

Anyones guess whether Clark, Geary, Coff and Paton can provide in 2022.

I’m sure Marshall will spend time there..

Another thing is that I don’t think he is a brilliant forward..(nine goals last year)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Jack Darling is only 191 cm tall - and he's been a very effective marking forward. He's a gorilla at 191cm.

Battle is listed at 193 cm.

Nothing wrong with Battle's height.

Also, Battle showed in 2019 that he had the strength to hold his position and get to the fall of the ball - to take marks or spoil.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 24 Dec 2021 7:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 7:13pm Jack Darling is only 191 cm tall - and he's been a very effective marking forward.

Battle is listed at 193 cm.

Nothing wrong with Battle's height.

Also, Battle showed in 2019 that he had the strength to hold his position and get to the fall of the ball - to take marks or spoil.
Battle is the same height as Rooey and 3cm taller than plugger.

Give it up SG. :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Darling is a massive unit… it’s not just height that comes into it

Plugger was 191… but weighed in at 110kg
He was a huge man!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Battle is undersized as a key back, but is probably big enough to play there if he’s good enough.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 8:26pm Battle is undersized as a key back, but is probably big enough to play there if he’s good enough.
Can Battle jump? As in leap? He’s no George Young or Barks.

Gershwin
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 8:50pm
B.M wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 8:26pm Battle is undersized as a key back, but is probably big enough to play there if he’s good enough.
No he can’t jump/leap. Finished last in the vertical leap in his draft testing. His strengths are endurance running, courage and football intelligence. And he is a pretty straight kick at goal. Best suited as a 3rd tall forward but we have better with Membrey and possibly Sharman.
I don’t like him at CHB and he doesn’t make my best 22.

summertime and the living is easy ........
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 9:36pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 8:50pm
No he can’t jump/leap. Finished last in the vertical leap in his draft testing. His strengths are endurance running, courage and football intelligence. And he is a pretty straight kick at goal. Best suited as a 3rd tall forward but we have better with Membrey and possibly Sharman.
I don’t like him at CHB and he doesn’t make my best 22.
really?
Well, well then lads....

As an obnoxious pommy tourist bellowed from his chair at a Bangkok pub, "Am I right or am i f$%%&kng right?"

Not to knock the fella but as I say, he is not in Mr. Ratten's favorite's list and maybe a frindge player. It helps explains why he has really just gone nowhere in these past two years. His value isn't really much more than 2019, when by all accounts he was quite good. (supposedly)

I don't think Joyce looks like much of a leaper either? Is he?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joyce hahaha
He can jump as high as he wants but until the kid learns to punch behind he’ll remain allocated to zoning off which is the extent of his current role in the team

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Well, AR (to his credit) didn't write him off ... and he was doing very well at CHB as a 21 year old.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 8:23pm Darling is a massive unit… it’s not just height that comes into it

Plugger was 191… but weighed in at 110kg
He was a huge man!
Yeah I know. I sat next to him at dinner once.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Battle is a unit tho. Massive upper body strength. Wins the club arm wrestle easily.

Has the tools, just needs to string it together imo. If he had some consistency in a position, maybe even a solid run at it for the zebs, we’ll get to know once and for all whether he’s up to it.

#1 Ryder fan
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: New Centre-half back - Holla a Marsh

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 26 Dec 2021 9:18am ….Has the tools, just needs to string it together imo. …..
Does he?
…have the tools?

If he can’t leap or jump, he doesn’t have one pretty important one.

If he can’t spin, switch sides, put on a burst of pace..does he have the tools to be a KPP?

It looks like he might have a similar profile to Marsh.

I’m not knocking him for fun, but I am having fun thinking about the problem of CHB at St Kilda.

I notice Josh might be really limited as a player…Of course I don’t know deeply .

That’s why I reckon a Marshall would be a great CHB, but I concede we don’t have that lixury with Ryder probably good for 12-15 games tops.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: New Centre-half back - Holla a Marsh

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 26 Dec 2021 9:18am ….Has the tools, just needs to string it together imo. …..
Does he?
…have the tools?

If he can’t leap or jump, he doesn’t have one pretty important one.

If he can’t spin, switch sides, put on a burst of pace..does he have the tools to be a KPP?

It looks like he might have a similar profile to Marsh. (I mean the Marsh we delisted , not Marshall)

I’m not knocking him for fun, but I am having fun thinking about the problem of CHB at St Kilda.

I notice Josh might be really limited as a player…Of course I don’t know deeply .

That’s why I reckon a Marshall would be a great CHB, but I concede we don’t have that lixury with Ryder probably good for 12-15 games tops.
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Tue 28 Dec 2021 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Barry Lawrence who played for us in the 70s wasn't quick (in fact he was slow) and he only stood 183cm tall.
He played on FF Peter Hudson, and CHF Martello (both premiership players at Hawthorn) - much bigger opponents.

Back in those days it was one-on-one, and Lawrence did brilliantly on whoever he played on. Man on man.
You just need a footballer's brain - Battle I think has that.

I can't see why Battle can't do at least as well now as he did at CHB when he was just a 20 -21 year old playing under AR.
He was good then - what's changed?

Hopefully, the move back to CHB will restore his confidence.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: New Centre-half back Holla a Marshall

samoht wrote: Tue 28 Dec 2021 12:44pm Barry Lawrence who played for us in the 70s wasn't quick (in fact he was slow) and he only stood 183cm tall.
He played on FF Peter Hudson, and CHF Martello (both premiership players at Hawthorn) - much bigger opponents.

Back in those days it was one-on-one, and Lawrence did brilliantly on whoever he played on. Man on man.
You just need a footballer's brain - Battle I think has that.

I can't see why Battle can't do at least as well now as he did at CHB when he was just a 20 -21 year old playing under AR.
He was good then - what's changed?

Hopefully, the move back to CHB will restore his confidence.
MAybe he can and this year! Players like Alex Rance took four or so seasons to get going. Rance is 194cm, which is probably like being 184 back in the day. He was tried forward, wing, follower before settling as a backman. So maybe Battle can do it. We certainly need a high class player with strength back there.

Saintmike65
Club Player

I think it's proven that Marshall plays his best footy as a follower, resting forward.
Battle will be given every opportunity at CHB, with Highmore and potentially Jack Hayes as backup options.
Hayes is a strong boy and seems to have a real presence about him....he represented SA in defense in his under 18 year.
Pound for pound, Wilkie is our best defender, has been as soon as he walked into the side!

ace
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 22 Dec 2021 5:14pm OK..good points, but look at this team!!

Webster Howard Wilkie
Sinclair Marshall Highmore
Hill Steele Billings
Higgins Sharman Membrey
Butler King Gresham

Ryder Crouch Jones
Hannas Clark Byrnes Geary
I am looking at that team BUT
I will never see a team like that because a best 22 team is pure fiction.
There is always a few injured players.
And now maybe the latest variant of the Xi virus will make it impossible to even put a team together.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Saints58
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 7:12pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 4:45pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 10:13am
saynta wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021 9:27am I get really pissed off when ignorant fans post unsubstantiated crap as gospel when talking about our young players.

But hey, it's christmas and the season for good cheer and forgiveness so I will let the comments about Battle and Marshall even, pass.
Yes, Saynta. Forgive the seasonal frivolous banter in the name of Saint Nic.

But you have to admit it is an idea worth some merit.

1) Battle is not a proven KPP..He has been around and around. If he settles, bravo. But if he is found wanting..too slow? , can't leap, can't switch sides fast enough etc., then he will not be a regular KPP in a top 8 side.

2) Marshall is a champ, but he's not a killer in the forward line.

3) Cooper Sharman has shown something special already.
What do you want Battle to do, wrestle beanpoles and gorillas or run and leap and change sides.

Get hold of some 2019replays of Battle playing CHB.

While it would have been great if he turned into a big mid, he didn't, but he is a tough competitor and highly skilled at reading the play.

Marshall is a midfielder and a decent ruckman. He will definitely find himself cutting off HB at times but its moronic to suggest we should waste him at CHB.
Yes
It won’t happen, I suppose..
We can’t afford to spare Marshall. Ryder will not play every game and will frequently be rested when playing.

But I do think our defense is vulnerable and as Carlisle faded and disappeared it became more obvious.

I know there is exciting talent in Paton, Coff, Highmore and reliability in Wilkie, Howard and Webster, but we were regularly ripped apart last year around the Centre and we always look vulnerable on kick outs from behinds.

Anyones guess whether Clark, Geary, Coff and Paton can provide in 2022.

I’m sure Marshall will spend time there..

Another thing is that I don’t think he is a brilliant forward..(nine goals last year)
I am concerned as you about our CHB position lets have a look at who would play there if Dougal went down or Battle was not up to it.
In line with experience is Joyce 10 games 194 cm could we rely on him to hold down a position down back on a consistent basis if needed. Then there is Allison 195cm no games and very light on not sure if he is up to it. Highmore 193 cm possible but with only 13 games not sure he might be ok. Then the big O Oscar Adams 198cm still only a kid but could be good.
So not much experience there and if we had to play 2 of the above guys due to injury it could derail our season totally which would be a disaster.
My thoughts are ask another guy who is a key back to try out someone like Jarrod Lienert 195cm 93kg 27 year old 23 games but he has some experience and even if the guy we get was on the list for 1 year until either Allison or Adams are ready I don't see why we wouldn't do that.
I know we wont a mid season pick at least but I am sure we will get injuries or retirements that will open up a spot.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Wed 29 Dec 2021 4:53pm
In line... Joyce...Then...Allison ....Highmore 193 cm possible but with only 13 games.... Then...O Oscar Adams 198cm...
....if we had to play 2 of the above...could derail our season...
My thoughts...ask....someone like Jarrod Lienert 195cm 93kg 27 year old 23 games but he has some experience and even if the guy we get was on the list for 1 year until either Allison or Adams are ready I don't see why we wouldn't do that.

I know we wont a mid season pick at least but I am sure we will get injuries or retirements that will open up a spot.

Mnnn...
He is bald...
Went from long haired-surfer 'dude' to earnest Nathan Lyon. No thanks...
Just kidding

It wouldn't be bad...Was he delisted? What happened? I checked the AFL list thing...and he had a good debut but then got lost in the field for defenders. This could be a very smart pick...BUt I know nothng of his limits. Battle also started well in 2019, then drifted sideways is 20/21. Almost a mirror image, but this dude is 27.

Interesting thought.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 25 Dec 2021 12:32am Joyce hahaha
until the kid learns to punch behind
Might not be his go. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No doubt Marshall would make a very good CHB/second tall defender, but that would leave just ageing champ Paddy to carry ruck every week.

I think the midfield has to take priority.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 30 Dec 2021 4:34pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 25 Dec 2021 12:32am Joyce hahaha
until the kid learns to punch behind
Might not be his go. :lol: :lol:
No, think he is straight. Irish anyway. :wink: :wink: