Andrew Lovett behind bars for Christmas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Andrew Lovett behind bars for Christmas

Has been charged with beating up his police officer girlfriend. Allegedly assaulting her, including spitting on her. Claims there were numerous occasions of this during their relationship.

Next hearing won't be until the new year when he'll use the same mouthpiece that got his rape charges dropped. He represented himself for the remand hearing, obviously didn't go too well.

If true, he's an absolute piece of garbage. Can't keep getting caught up in these types of charges without some truth from victims being involved.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Andrew Lovett behind bars for Christmas

Is Hirdy giving a character reference?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 17 Dec 2021 9:29pm Has been charged with beating up his police officer girlfriend. Allegedly assaulting her, including spitting on her. Claims there were numerous occasions of this during their relationship.

Next hearing won't be until the new year when he'll use the same mouthpiece that got his rape charges dropped. He represented himself for the remand hearing, obviously didn't go too well.

If true, he's an absolute piece of garbage. Can't keep getting caught up in these types of charges without some truth from victims being involved.
Just FYI in case you’re not too familiar with the court world.

You’re generally only able to formally apply for bail once unless there are extenuating circumstances e.g. new evidence.

So often, when people in the police cells meet with their solicitors... if the prospects for bail aren’t good e.g. they don’t have access to the necessary evidence, witnesses aren’t there etc etc , the solicitors advise that they either go straight remand or they can do an in person bail application which is kind of like a free swing.
If they get bail good for them, if they miss, the solicitor can apply for bail at a later time once they lined their ducks up so to speak

I’m guessing that’s what’s happened here

The date can always be brought forward

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The Saints should endorse James Hird and Bomber Thompson for coach of Essendon.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 17 Dec 2021 10:20pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 17 Dec 2021 9:29pm Has been charged with beating up his police officer girlfriend. Allegedly assaulting her, including spitting on her. Claims there were numerous occasions of this during their relationship.

You’re generally only able to formally apply for bail once unless there are extenuating circumstances e.g. new evidence.

So often, when people in the police cells meet with their solicitors... if the prospects for bail aren’t good e.g. they don’t have access to the necessary evidence, witnesses aren’t there etc etc , the solicitors advise that they either go straight remand or they can do an in person bail application which is kind of like a free swing.
If they get bail good for them, if they miss, the solicitor can apply for bail at a later time once they lined their ducks up so to speak

I always thought you could have representation at a remand hearing as it's possible a lawyer may have been present anyway. I thought ithey were then only allowed one more bail application with a attorney, meaning the remand application was essentially a free swing. Maybe I got that wrong.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

It appears that it is a family violence matter, in which case it would be highly unlikely he would be granted bail in any event.

I just wish the media would stop referring to him as an ex-St Kilda player he didn't play one bleeding game for the club, before he was sacked. It was an unmitigated disaster and Essendon are still arseholes to trade with a decade later.

I used to love that Sheedy brought so many indigenous players through, ahead of his time. But now they are the most despised club in the competition and for multiple reasons the tag fits well with them.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 7:30am
skeptic wrote: Fri 17 Dec 2021 10:20pm

I always thought you could have representation at a remand hearing as it's possible a lawyer may have been present anyway. I thought ithey were then only allowed one more bail application with a attorney, meaning the remand application was essentially a free swing. Maybe I got that wrong.
Am not a lawyer but do work at the courts quite a bit and that’s the way it was explained to me but there’s every possibility that there’s nuances I’m not fully across

happy feet
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 9:29am It appears that it is a family violence matter, in which case it would be highly unlikely he would be granted bail in any event.

I just wish the media would stop referring to him as an ex-St Kilda player he didn't play one bleeding game for the club, before he was sacked. It was an unmitigated disaster and Essendon are still arseholes to trade with a decade later.

I used to love that Sheedy brought so many indigenous players through, ahead of his time. But now they are the most despised club in the competition and for multiple reasons the tag fits well with them.
Yes the media referring to him as a StKilda player is just a disgrace.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

What the f*** is a police officer doing being the partner of a piece of s*** like Lovett.

Leopards don't change their spots and this creep has form for domestic abuse.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 9:29am It appears that it is a family violence matter, in which case it would be highly unlikely he would be granted bail in any event.
It’s interesting because with COVID still going on, the threshold for people going in to custody is actually really high with everyone from the magistrates, police prosecutors and solicitors acknowledging that conditions in custody are especially onerous.

Anyone going in to custody is essentially going straight into 2 weeks of complete isolation in cells that are not much bigger then the size of a mattress and a toilet . I know this because part of my role is to interview ppl going on corrections orders where they want to consider mental health conditions (it applies to ppl both in and out of custody) and the number of referrals has really blown up over 6 months.

The ones I see in isolation are almost always in a really bad way... it’s tricky if you have demons and all you’re able to do is sit and think I guess.

The point of this is that noting that the court’s decision regarding bail/remand really tends to focus on community/victim safety in instances where a significant custodial disposition isn’t on the table where it is less so at the Magistrate’s court level. The people that get the 6-18 month sentence are usually those that are offending with such frequency and escalating severity.

At a cursory level knowing no facts about this case, if Lovett could have established an alternative address far away from the victim I’d have thought he’d been a pretty decent prospect of getting out. Pbly with a full no contact order in place. I don’t say that as a reflection that his charges weren’t or that he won’t be severely penalised, that’s just how the system works.

Must have been pretty serious stuff

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 10:46am What the f*** is a police officer doing being the partner of a piece of s*** like Lovett.

Leopards don't change their spots and this creep has form for domestic abuse.
Yes, that struck me as well. I guess she fell for the lies or truly believed she could change those spots. Whichever, as with all violent relationships, it's extremely sad and distressing for those involved.

As skeptic has said, his alleged offences must be pretty serious or he'd escalated to a point that even a Bail Justice or Magistrate could not risk him having physical access to the victim.

happy feet
Club Player

And another thing, the media should stop calling it a supplements scandal. It was a sports doping scandal. Call it what it is, don’t try and white wash it.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I just wish Saints fans can understand the damage that Mr Ross Lyon caused and the legacy he left behind after his time with us as senior coach. The decision to recruit a shady character like Andrew Lovett was one of the many mistakes that negatively impacted our club

In the meantime Lyon was quick to throw out the players with good character and he was quick in giving up on Xavier Clarke, Luke Ball and Matty Maguire. Goose was 1 game short of his 100th in the RW&B. He went on to play another 70 odd with the Lions
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 18 Dec 2021 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Skeptic,

Having a police officer partner aside, how does a person in his situation get effective legal representation?
Would he have a ‘regular lawyer’ much like we have a regular ‘family doctor’?

It would seem that when things are really screwed up, it might be hard to get enough fresh air to calm down and asses options?

What I am saying is that some people just ‘tumble into’ the cells, half dazed and confused.

On aside note,

I assume that mental health issues, medications, illicit and prescribed, used and abused either way , might be involved.

The mental health diagnostics part is a enough of a mess as it is. Throw in the rest and you’ve got a toxic diabolical cluster of mayhem.

Then there might be race that is brought in both covertly and overtly.

Saynta,
Leopard spots and all….I certainly hope we can change in this little life of ours. If we can’t, I do not know what to think. Reopen a penal colony in Tassie? Antarctica? A prison ship? Death penalty?

But I am afraid the shame will be so bad, so deep, there is no obvious place to take it…the church? God?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 12:33pm

I just wish Saints fans can understand the damage that Mr Ross Lyon caused and the legacy he left behind after his time with us as senior coach. The decision to recruit a shady character like Andrew Lovett was one of the many mistakes that negatively impacted our club

In the meantime Lyon was quick to throw out the players with good character and he was quick in giving up on Xavier Clarke, Luke Ball and Matty Maguire. Goose was 1 game short of his 100th in the RW&B. He went on to play another 70 odd with the Lions
Many thanks for putting the truth out there mate.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 12:36pm Skeptic,

Having a police officer partner aside, how does a person in his situation get effective legal representation?

It would seem that when things are really screwed up, it might be hard to get enough fresh air to calm down and asses options?

What I am saying is that some people just ‘tumble into’ the cells, half dazed and confused.

On aside note,

I assume that mental health issues, medications, illicit and prescribed, used and abused either way , might be involved.

The mental health diagnostics part is a enough of a mess as it is. Throw in the rest and you’ve got a toxic diabolical cluster of mayhem.

Saynta,
Leopard spots and all….I certainly hope we can change in this little life of ours. If we can’t, I do not know what to think. Reopen a penal colony in Tassie? Antarctica? A prison ship? Death penalty?

But I am afraid the shame will be so bad, so deep, there is no obvious place to take it…the church? God?
I am not opposed to the death penalty but only for those that rape and murder women and innocent children.

I also have no time for habitual women bashers like Lovett obviously is.

I remember reading an article written before we signed the prick reporting on a incident where Lovett repeatedly punched his girlfriend in the face in a locked care.

A real cowardly turd.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 18 Dec 2021 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

On aside note,

All true enough

It’s usually pretty haphazard

In Lovett’s case one has to imagine that he would a specific lawyer/firm to nominate.
Then it would be up to the court to contact the firm and notify them of the nomination and then it’s really up to the firm/solicitor to respond.

They may agree to get involved, have the briefs forwarded to them and speak with the client.

They may decline to get involved (we can’t work with this person or he’s unknown to us) or they might just not respond at all.
At that point it either gets farmed out to VLA (or equivalent there of) but if he’s financially too well off to qualify, most courts have their regular local solicitors that act in criminal matters at short notice at the request of the court.

How it works from my understanding, is that in these impromptu situations, the duty solicitors/ones that pick up matters at the request of the court only actually get paid if the client is bailed…
Hence if it’s a client that isn’t really with their firm and the prospects of bail aren’t good… that’s another reason why the individual may just be pushed to an in person application

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 1:25pm

On aside note,

All true enough

It’s usually pretty haphazard

In Lovett’s case one has to imagine that he would a specific lawyer/firm to nominate.
Then it would be up to the court to contact the firm and notify them of the nomination and then it’s really up to the firm/solicitor to respond.

They may agree to get involved, have the briefs forwarded to them and speak with the client.

They may decline to get involved (we can’t work with this person or he’s unknown to us) or they might just not respond at all.
At that point it either gets farmed out to VLA (or equivalent there of) but if he’s financially too well off to qualify, most courts have their regular local solicitors that act in criminal matters at short notice at the request of the court.

How it works from my understanding, is that in these impromptu situations, the duty solicitors/ones that pick up matters at the request of the court only actually get paid if the client is bailed…
Hence if it’s a client that isn’t really with their firm and the prospects of bail aren’t good… that’s another reason why the individual may just be pushed to an in person application
Whats an “in person application”?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Represents himself sg rather than have someone else, namely a solicitor, do it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Correct GL,

Rarely successful but I have seen a few

saynta
Saintsational Legend

There is usually legal aid duty solicitors duty solicitors available to assist and advise turkeys like Lovett on a first up appearance.

Courts themselves would never contact a legal firm on behalf on behalf of a defendant to arrange representation. Simply not their role.

Such tasks are a matter for the turkey or his/her family to arrange if one is not eligible for legal aid.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 18 Dec 2021 6:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 3:21pm Correct GL,

Rarely successful but I have seen a few
Everyone's favourite Porsche driver has tried and failed. Also not a stranger to domestic abuse charges.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 3:53pm There re usually legal aid duty solicitors duty solicitors available to assist and advise turkeys like Lovett on a first up appearance.

Courts themselves would never contact a legal firm on behalf on behalf of a defendant to arrange representation. Simply not their role.

Such tasks are a matter for the turkey or his/her family to arrange if one is not eligible for legal aid.
I’ve asked the registrars before when waiting for matters to go to court and they often contact firms to advise them that their clients are in the cells or that they’ve been nominated as the representatives

They certainly do it regularly for the ppl that are well known to them and the regular firms that inhabit the particular court

Obviously the court has a vested interest in moving matters forward rather than having matters wait around all day with nothing happening.

For example if offender X nominates firm X but can’t get hold of them on the phone or firm X isn’t available or not interested… the court just can’t wait indefinitely for something that’s not progressing
Couple the fact that the court registrars tasked with ensuring that the relevant information is provided to the courts e.g. police briefs

The client themselves obviously have limited access to phones especially given so much is being done over the phone at the moment… and the custodial are absolutely not prioritising the needs of the court over management of the people in the cells

As far as legal aid goes, not everyone is actually entitled to legal aid so they may not necessarily get involved - they especially wont get involved if someone says they already have a lawyer/firm. They have things to do.

I’d have thought that if a lowly health worker can figure this out… a solicitor would know all this for sure

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Not sure this is the smartest question, but can an accused have access to their mobile phones in custody? Can they charge them? Use a pocket wi-fi?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021 9:33pm Not sure this is the smartest question, but can an accused have access to their mobile phones in custody? Can they charge them? Use a pocket wi-fi?
Nope.

A common scenario I see a bit is that offender is in cells have breached a family violence intervention order
Offender can’t return home and is homeless
They cannot be bailed if they don’t have an address
They cannot access their phone to make alternative arrangements with friends
Offender claims they have contacts on their phone
Solicitor could do it for them but has no one to call because no one knows phone numbers anymore
Remanded to custody if they don’t have extended family around that say the partner/parents know how to contact