ASHES 21/22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Re: ASHES 21/22

All out by tea?

Dear oh dear.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Pitch doing a bit?

:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I've got a feeling Boland might take a few on this wicket :D

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Just skippping off work here. I obviosly cant watch it.

So tell me...
let me guess...
Joining the dots and th eodd snippets from ESPN cric info

Woakes pedestrian?
Wood? Fast but wayward?
Broad always Broad
The Ollie guy, started well, now back sore, laboring?

Aussies now totally on top.

What is your first innings total prediction?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 4:35pm I've got a feeling Boland might take a few on this wicket :D
GoBo!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 7:22pm Just skippping off work here. I obviosly cant watch it.

So tell me...
let me guess...
Joining the dots and th eodd snippets from ESPN cric info

Woakes pedestrian?
Wood? Fast but wayward?
Broad always Broad
The Ollie guy, started well, now back sore, laboring?

Aussies now totally on top.

What is your first innings total prediction?
Almost every second ball looked like it could take a wicket for the first 10 overs, should have been more than 3 down, then Labuschagne and Head decided to start going the tonk and the game did a complete 180, Aussie’s doing it easy now.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Head is no dick and can play.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Green is the Aussie cricket Max King for me. So excited.

Boy if Carey continues to find form do we bat deep. Even our tail is capable of great batting.

Green deserves a century. Come on longshanks.
Last edited by roskilde on Fri 14 Jan 2022 8:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

And this is also mine:
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Warne is really annoying me as he carries on about Green. The bloke Warne wanted dropped prior to the 3rd & 4th Tests and replaced with Mitch Marsh.

Maybe a Saints man but as a commentator I find him to be the ultimate flog. It's hard for his fellow commentators when the topic ends up about Warne.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Why is Wood getting hammered?
That bad?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Wood has been loose, Labuschagne and Head took a liking to him. The pitch looks like it favours the seam bowlers more than just the out-and-out quicks.

Green looking a lot better with the bat now, pity he just went out!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 8:50pm Why is Wood getting hammered?
That bad?
He's actually been bowling too short. The pitch needs to be harder unless he pitches up.

A poor shot by Green, should have been left alone or put in the Derwent. Two minds, hit too high on the bat. It was not the bowling.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 8:43pm Warne is really annoying me as he carries on about Green. The bloke Warne wanted dropped prior to the 3rd & 4th Tests and replaced with Mitch Marsh.

Maybe a Saints man but as a commentator I find him to be the ultimate flog. It's hard for his fellow commentators when the topic ends up about Warne.
Warne : genius on the field. Classless off it.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 9:03pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 8:43pm Warne is really annoying me as he carries on about Green. The bloke Warne wanted dropped prior to the 3rd & 4th Tests and replaced with Mitch Marsh.

My personal off field experience meeting Warne in a social situation (during a cricket tour) was the opposite ..... nice bloke, happy to have a chat about the Saints and cricket over a few beers ...... other big names players were a lot worse and you would have been lucky to get the time of day

He may have changed since but can only go by what I know

Don't mind some of his left field ideas either

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 9:23pm

My personal off field experience meeting Warne in a social situation (during a cricket tour) was the opposite ..... nice bloke, happy to have a chat about the Saints and cricket over a few beers ...... other big names players were a lot worse and you would have been lucky to get the time of day

Nope, not even a few beers could change my opinion on the way he comes across as a commentator. His pseudo macho "Chappelli" carry on about conduct on the field with the opposition is pure wank! Fortunately I've not forgotten his first Test & shaking his hand afterwards as I wished they would give him another opportunity.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 9:23pm

Warne is a legend for reasons we already know & I'm a Warne fan but his head is that far up his own arse he forgets where he came from IMO anyway

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Warne, and commentary in Australia among Aussies, I often wonder how much of it is their real character and how much is just following cues from the puppet master that produces them. I can’t figure out why they are falling over themselves to compliment each other. I supppsed it was some kind of edict they’ve been given- a list of ‘dis’ and ‘dont’s’

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 10:01am Speaking of Warne, and commentary in Australia among Aussies, I often wonder how much of it is their real character and how much is just following cues from the puppet master that produces them. I can’t figure out why they are falling over themselves to compliment each other. I supppsed it was some kind of edict they’ve been given- a list of ‘dis’ and ‘dont’s’
I agree that they’re media personas are probably bloated caricatures of their day to day selves. I do though think they believe in their own caricatures to some extent. The matey, blokey banter is singularly unappealing to me.
Slats, Tubs, Heals et al - they can all f*** off. They’re just extensions of the Cricket Australia Death Star.

In Warne’s case, however nice a bloke he might be to chat to, his public presentation is just ugly. His feud with S.Waugh is a good example. The opposite poles of how to conduct yourself as a high profile ex-sportsman - Shane Warne and Steve Waugh.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 10:13am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 10:01am Speaking of Warne, and commentary in Australia among Aussies, I often wonder how much of it is their real character and how much is just following cues from the puppet master that produces them. I can’t figure out why they are falling over themselves to compliment each other. I supppsed it was some kind of edict they’ve been given- a list of ‘dis’ and ‘dont’s’
I agree that they’re media personas are probably bloated caricatures of their day to day selves. I do though think they believe in their own caricatures to some extent. The matey, blokey banter is singularly unappealing to me.
Slats, Tubs, Heals et al - they can all f*** off. They’re just extensions of the Cricket Australia Death Star.

In Warne’s case, however nice a bloke he might be to chat to, his public presentation is just ugly. His feud with S.Waugh is a good example. The opposite poles of how to conduct yourself as a high profile ex-sportsman - Shane Warne and Steve Waugh.
nice!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don't watch the 7 broadcast of the match, Foxtel only for me, so haven't a clue who the commentators are on 7. And care even less.

Most of the foxtel guys are quite good, even got to like Isa Gooey and her knowing smirk. But for f**** sake I wish they would stop barracking for the poms to get a wicket or two. Warne's the worst too.

Pommie commentators would not do that.

Oh, I have a good friend whose son went to an exclusive private boarding college with Steve Waugh's son.

She reckons Waugh is a right see you next tuesday, Out of Warnie and that prick. I would take Warne as a dinner partner every day of the week. 8-)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Seeing that I had to get it to watch the football, I watch Foxtel but with the mute button firmly on - unless there is a DRS. No ads on Foxtel. Radio commentary needs to be continuous talk for cricket. TV commentary did not need to be continuous talk for cricket, that is, there was no need to describe the bowler running in, the sort of ball and the sort of shot. For instance, when Richie Benaud had the mike, there were long periods of silence. No so these days when "personal" chatter - tabloid style - dominates.

England had two good bowlers yesterday, but it seems one of them hurt his back. The other two fast bowlers (who are too short these days - like Jhye Richardson - fast but don't get the bounce) bowled too many "4 balls" although the batting was extremely good. The best way to deflate a bowler's confidence is to score quickly from them ( e.g. Warner, Smith and now Labuschagne, Head and Green. I never thought Head would make it - so there you go. I might say, Root's captaincy was pretty poor. Ben Stokes is easily their best player and should be captain. England will improve dramatically just with his appointment and a change to total attack.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Root could not inspire anyone let alone a fellow team mate. I guess there has to be a sacrificial lamb or deer and he has bambie writen all over him.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 11:52am Root could not inspire anyone let alone a fellow team mate. I guess there has to be a sacrificial lamb or deer and he has bambie writen all over him.
That's the way it looks, doesn't it.

I figure Stokes would be walk in starter, but he doesn't want it. So I then guess that Stokes like to be the beleaguered, battle-scared, warrior hobbling on one leg, who just 'find's a way'. If he needs that kind of theatre to get goin' I guess he 'aint much chop for captian, cos the captain's gotta be more multi-dimensional than that.

happy feet
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 10:46am I don't watch the 7 broadcast of the match, Foxtel only for me, so haven't a clue who the commentators are on 7. And care even less.

Most of the foxtel guys are quite good, even got to like Isa Gooey and her knowing smirk. But for f**** sake I wish they would stop barracking for the poms to get a wicket or two. Warne's the worst too.

Pommie commentators would not do that.

Oh, I have a good friend whose son went to an exclusive private boarding college with Steve Waugh's son.

She reckons Waugh is a right see you next tuesday, Out of Warnie and that prick. I would take Warne as a dinner partner every day of the week. 8-)
There is a reason for the pro-England commentary. Early on in the series the pommy public went on the rampage about what they said was the one-sided pro Australian commentary. This was even an opinion piece from some useless pommy git in the UK edition of the Guardian.

We were in England in 2019 in their summer and copped it off everyone over sandpaper gate. What the players copped, particularly Steve Smith was just appalling. The Poms, lead by the moronic barmy army, say whatever they like to anyone and there is no limits to their crassness and abuse. Players, their wives, their kids, their families are all targeted for the most vile putrid comments.

Here is the kicker though, you are not allowed to say one thing against the England cricket team. If you do they get even more nasty and aggressive. At Headingly 2 Aussies were thrown out of the ground for asking to see Joffra’s passport!

When you pointed out that our idiots copped the harshest punishment ever, no it was not severe enough. When you point out the England have a long track record of ball tampering and give them examples, they just deny it. Rubbing mint on the ball, no that didn’t happen, Mike Atherton with dirt/sand in his pocket, no that didn’t happen. Watch Stuart Broad, he constantly picks at the seam of the ball, I have even seen him rake his spikes over the ball. Chappelli picked him up on it last tour but nothing was done.

Our pommies are very precious and a pack of sooks.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

I love a Hobart test.

It's a nice comfy, cosy suburban ground with a grassed area.

Just watching Lyon smash a six into the grassy knoll is getting me all nostalgic.

And this is also mine: