Mathew Allison

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

Re: Mathew Allison

POSITION: Tall Forward/Wing

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "Allison is a tall utility with terrific endurance, able to present as a key forward or ply his trade as a uniquely versatile wingman." - Michael Alvaro

Calder Cannons prospect Matthew Allison is one in a number of Victorians to have shot onto the AFL Draft radar in 2020 despite not being able to contribute any top-age football. The 194cm utility managed 10 NAB League games among an improving Cannons list last year, while also earning selection in the Vic Metro Under 17 Futures side. He did not quite make the cut for the most recent AFL Academy intake, but was able to showcase his best traits during a couple of promising preseason trial games, where he averaged seven marks between the outings to further capture the attention of recruiters. While he predominantly proved his wares as a deep-lying key forward on those occasions, Allison was also seen on the wing as a bottom-ager and looked poised to rotate between the two posts this season. Such is his versatility, the Cannons were also prepared to play Allison across half-back, with plenty of potential to harness and an exciting base to develop.

STRENGTHS:

Endurance
Overhead marking
Versatility
Upside
IMPROVEMENTS:

Strength/power
Production
There is a lot of upside to what Allison brings to the table as a raw prospect who is still very much developing. One trait which remains consistent for the 18-year-old is his running capacity, which combines well with his toe off the mark to form an exciting speed-endurance mix. It is perhaps the key to what makes Allison so versatile, as he is capable of presenting as a key forward with his height and ability to gain separation, but can also grow into other roles such as the wing or high half-forward given his work-rate. The Calder prospect's marking prowess is another attribute which is evident on the eye test, as he can often clunk the ball at its highest point once he has burned or worked over and opponent.

Allison is said to have done plenty of work with former Calder talent manager Tom Lonergan, who has helped him improve his bodywork and power. At 194cm and 81kg, he is still quite lean so a couple of preseasons in the gym should do wonders for his contested marking acumen and explosiveness. The positive with that factor is Allison could develop in those other roles outside of the key forward slot to ensure his ability to jostle with bigger key defenders is at the right level before being thrown in the deep end. His athletic base, particularly endurance-wise is already at a high standard and will aid his potential transition to the elite level even further.

He remains an especially raw type though, and 2020 was set to be the year for Allison to truly show what he is capable of. His averages in 2019; 8.2 disposals, 1.5 marks, and 2.9 tackles, convey quite a low rate of output and Allison only booted two goals for the year - albeit with less permanent time forward. He was set to gain much greater responsibility as one of Calder's main focal points as a top-ager, which theoretically would have seen his production and consistency improve drastically. That was somewhat proven in his preseason performances, which yielded far better numbers and provided a glimpse into Allison's eye-catching, high-marking potential.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Late - Rookie

Allison is one of the quintessential high-upside talents available in this year's draft and is one who could well thrive in an elite environment. His most obvious improvement areas are ones which can be easily developed over a few preseasons and alongside high-level established talent, so perhaps clubs with the capacity to take on those prospective kind of players will look at Allison closely. Having earned a National Combine invite despite overlooked for the 2020 AFL Academy, there is clear interest in the Victorian prospect and his overall potential. The trimmed-down list sizes may see less clubs take on developmental players, but Allison is in the mix in terms of players who fall into said category. His athletic base and versatility will surely appeal to clubs, but they may wish to see him perform consistently in the extended Under 19 competition before acting.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Interestingly enough, on the AFL.com.au coverage in 2020, Riley Beveridge said something to the effect of 'well, that is a surprise' when we took Allison. Cal Twomey disagreed and said it was right around the mark for him. They don't generally disagree much on their coverage (which I prefer to the actual draft), so it stood out a bit. Twomey didn't have Allison in his phantom, but did mention him as being in contention for the Giants then pick 30 in the article. Generally, I'd back Twomey over Beveridge or the Draft Central/Rookie Me crew.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Allison's progress. He was coming off no season in his top-aged year and an unspectacular bottom-aged year. He was clearly more of a long-term proposition from the beginning and the fact he got lost a bit playing in a forward line for a mediocre VFL side isn't that surprising. Nor is it surprising that he did better after getting moved behind the ball. I don't believe they've announced an extension, but there were rumours they were going to. I don't see how a prospect like that couldn't get at least a third year, especially given the VFL season was Covid impacted.

He's probably in a similar situation as this year's picks - if he can get a debut next year that would be great, but I'm not expecting it. Anything beyond that would be a bonus.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Had his first two years of development ruined by Covid. Watched his game v Collingwood in the VFL and his footskills were superb.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 28 Nov 2021 6:25pm Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't he the player stirring up s*** mid season about the clubs training regime?
Had not heard that at sll

ace
Saintsational Legend

Every player has a contract in place for 2022.
Of those expiring in 2022 some will be renewed as soon as possible, others will be required to prove their worth in a normal season.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope all Saints players get to have a good development year in 2022 after the Covid years interruptions, did you hear that Omicron. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Sun 28 Nov 2021 8:18pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 28 Nov 2021 6:25pm Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't he the player stirring up s*** mid season about the clubs training regime?
Had not heard that at sll

This was the thread. I didn't get the end of it the first time around.
http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102422

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

No. That was just some idiots stirring up s*** about his interview

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 28 Nov 2021 9:10pm
No. That was just some idiots stirring up s*** about his interview
Thanks, just read the thread and had a quick listen to the podcast. I'll edit my original post for clarity.

Sanctorum
Club Player

He was the playerthat was the target of some unfair interpretation on a podcast he spoke on. It's amazing how half a story can stick in your head.
That's correct Otiman, the report was totally wrong, I listened to that podcast and Allison said nothing of the sort, quite the opposite, he was complimentary about his team mates and the training programmes. I do agree that he needs to develop his body because this year he was still far too skinny.

If the club saw fit to give him another 2 years I expect that they are confident he'll push for selection. When Sandy came to play Aspley Hornets in Brisbane earlier this year he was at CHB and whilst he didn't shine I felt he played the role the coach had set for him.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Is he any skinnier than Sharman?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If your good enough, your big enough.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

It would be nice to see him put on some muscle, the same with Hunter Clark his upper body has hardly changed since he has been at the club.