Welcome to the Saints - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Welcome to the Saints - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

In all the highlights haven’t once seen him kick with his left foot. Goes to extraordinary lengths to get on his right foot. Just saying.

summertime and the living is easy ........
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021 6:11pm In all the highlights haven’t once seen him kick with his left foot. Goes to extraordinary lengths to get on his right foot. Just saying.
He kicks both feet, dont worry.

Gershwin
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021 7:00pm
Gershwin wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021 6:11pm In all the highlights haven’t once seen him kick with his left foot. Goes to extraordinary lengths to get on his right foot. Just saying.
I hate it when someone tells me to not worry. I have watched all the available videos and have seen him kick 30 times on the right foot and once on the left (and it was pretty ordinary). Very one-sided but exceptionally good on that side. I am worried that will be an issue in senior AFL.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021 7:17pm
I hate it when someone tells me to not worry. I have watched all the available videos and have seen him kick 30 times on the right foot and once on the left (and it was pretty ordinary). Very one-sided but exceptionally good on that side. I am worried that will be an issue in senior AFL.
I love it when someone makes a statement like ' I haven't once seen him kick with his left foot' the changes it to once.

He runs where he wants to go. His highlights, highlight his evasiveness. Worry all you like then. I dont care.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If my right foot could do what his can, and my left step could get me on it most times, I'd be getting on my right foot too.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You may be on to something.

I may be totally wrong about this, but in one of the clips I think he tried to run around a player and couldn't, so he side stepped and went around him so he could kick on his preferred side rather than kicking on his left in the first instance.

Still, I really like what I saw. He's silky smooth and as a few others have astutely observed, a very different type of player that we usually don't recruit or haven't done so in a number of years.

He's no Luke Dunstan that's for sure!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Matthews used to tell his players not to bother kicking a scruffy 30 metre kick on your opposite foot, when you kick perfectly on your natural foot.

How many dual sided players are around these days, I can recall two in this years draft. It's just not something that recruiters worry about these days.

NWM has the ability to get onto his natural leg with ease so why bother with anything else? People are already doing a Richo with the kid - looking at things he can't do rather than everything he can.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021 7:51pm

I may be totally wrong about this, but in one of the clips I think he tried to run around a player and couldn't, so he side stepped and went around him so he could kick on his preferred side rather than kicking on his left in the first instance.

Still, I really like what I saw. He's silky smooth and as a few others have astutely observed, a very different type of player that we usually don't recruit or haven't done so in a number of years.

Luke struggled on his left as well.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think I know the play your talking about.
He goes right, then left right, then left, spins and in a split second sees the lane and threads a pass to a chest.

After watching his feet, watch his point of view, he is analysing options,
Step to the right - no one there
Step to the left - no space for leader
Back to the right, blocked
Left, short hands over top - no,
360 spin in a backward direction opening space
Eyes up, 2 steps, open lane, bang. Straight on the chest of a well timed lead.
Looks like a real problem, one I'd love to have.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

So much negativity it's early days give the poor kid a f---ing chance before you hang draw & quarter him :roll: Sure he is not elite in all areas & has a lot to improve on but what pick 11 is ? He might not cut the mustard but at least give him the time to see what he can do.He is not number 1 pick he is pick 11 FFS

Banger9798
SS Life Member

For Gods sake can we be happy that we took a super skilled midfielder that every other team in our vicinity would have taken.
Two preseasons, protein and gym and he is an 80 kg elite kicking gun

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021 4:46pm After watching a couple of two minute videos and becoming an armchair expert. I'd say his strength is loose ball gets, reading the packs. Can't see him too in and under, but won't shirk a contest.
ie - does what he does best and leaves others to do what they do best.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

cant wait to see him in action.....on any foot

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I don't know where people are getting their info to knock the kid:
Kevin Sheehan wrote:
He could well be there [at Port Adelaide’s pick], I reckon he’s around that mark somewhere in the teens. He’s the boy you want to see with the footy in his hands if he’s on your side, he’s such a composed boy with the footy and he uses it brilliantly, his foot skills are elite, he’s lightly built, so you need to be patient. But he’s got all the poise that the good players have, it’s a bit like Scott Pendlebury sometimes, where the whole group try and tackle him one way and he just walks around the other way, he’s got that lovely feint with ball in hand that creates time and space for him, so an exciting type of player and he’d be a chance to still be on the board at that time.
John Platten wrote:
As they say, he’s got great composure, he uses the ball well, even though he’s light he still tackles quite well. The more experience he gets, the more game time he gets, and if he gets picked up by Port Adelaide with pick 12 … he’s Gavin Wanganeen’s nephew, (former Saint) Terry Milera is his dad, he’ll be sensational, just give him time. He can play in different positions, he can play on the wing, he can play half-back, he can play through the midfield, or throw him up forward, he might kick you two or three goals a game. He’s 187cm and he marks well, so get him a big stronger and get him to know the game a bit more, get him fitter and he’ll be fantastic.
Sounds like the type of player you want on your team and not on theirs

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Pre draft interview.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

We all have to remember that not all indigenous players are as soft as Bradley Hill. Look at Pickett, Edwards & Bolton from the Tigers, all are lighter players but attack the ball as hard as any of their team mates.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

This is what you call the reverse mozz. Just roll with it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Whats Ben Long weigh?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021 9:44pm

I think I know the play your talking about.
He goes right, then left right, then left, spins and in a split second sees the lane and threads a pass to a chest.

After watching his feet, watch his point of view, he is analysing options,
Step to the right - no one there
Step to the left - no space for leader
Back to the right, blocked
Left, short hands over top - no,
360 spin in a backward direction opening space
Eyes up, 2 steps, open lane, bang. Straight on the chest of a well timed lead.
Looks like a real problem, one I'd love to have.
And it’s beautiful to watch. Poetry in motion. The reason some players are allowed space is because they get respect.

A skilful player doesn’t feel the need to be rushed and doesn’t have a problem going to his non preferred if a player overcommits to protecting only one side. The opposition understand that the guy with the ball in hand CAN kick on both sides.

Sam Mitchell used to take forever to get a kick away and you’d be thinking why doesn’t the opposition just try and tackle him? Scott Pendlebury is similar.

The opposition assess each movement because the player with ball in hand can genuinely kick well with either foot. Any overcommitment to dive and smother or a lunge or an attempt to tackle is the small opportunity that a skilful player needs to dispose of the footy

repta
Club Player

Welcome. Hopefully he lives up to his natural ability.
He is going to be a development player for a while. Way to light and therefore needs to be protected for a while. Hopefully the Saints wont 'fast track' him as he needs to get some strength around the ball otherwise he will get spooked. There is very little time or space in the seniors (it is a huge leap up).
Given some time (and bulking up) he should be good.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I can kick with both feet but neither would clear a jam tin.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 29 Nov 2021 8:33pm Whats Ben Long weigh?
He broke the scales in one bump.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Stian
Club Player

I find that I fall over when I kick with both feet.

Gershwin
Club Player

Pleased to see this article in the HS which suggests that he is not one-sided. I think that is important although others seem to differ.

ST KILDA
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, despite his slight frame, is the one who could have an early impact next year. The Saints need class on the outside, and he has it in spades. The well-balanced wingman, who can deliver with precision on either side of his body, proved he can match it with the bigger bodies, playing four SANFL League and 13 reserves matches for Glenelg last season.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote: Tue 30 Nov 2021 11:45am
I find that I fall over when I kick with both feet.
Bit like Cav, eh?