Welcome to the Saints - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome to the Saints - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

Is he the Nasiah?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 11:23pm Is he the Nasiah?
He is the Nasiah. Now bug off!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

🙌

🤞

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Toy Saint wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 10:01pm Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's easy to say we should have drafted Bontempelli ahead of Billings....etc

Now is the time for us keyboard worriers to go on record with our views on this selection. Who should we have drafted?

I've been of the view that we should take a classy midfielder with pace and great disposal, so I guess I've forfeited my right to 2nd guess this selection in 3 or 4 years time...
On this basis, Sinn destined to be the next Petracca, clearly.
(please no!!!)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 12:56am
Toy Saint wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 10:01pm Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's easy to say we should have drafted Bontempelli ahead of Billings....etc

Now is the time for us keyboard worriers to go on record with our views on this selection. Who should we have drafted?

I've been of the view that we should take a classy midfielder with pace and great disposal, so I guess I've forfeited my right to 2nd guess this selection in 3 or 4 years time...
(please no!!!)
Super quick, half back flanker. Suffer a hamstring strain in April, then in July, a foot injury 2 weeks after he returned from the hammy and then poor form after his return, not being able to exploit his pace and kicking the way he had done before. Good luck Son.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I like his kicking and balance but am concerned about his lack of contested ball winning and the fact that he doesn't seem too athletically gifted. If he doesn't win contested ball then he needs to be an absolute running machine to work into space and receive the footy and also have the ability to run back defensively when one of our players misses him and kicks it straight to the opposition.

His game looks nothing like Brad Hill's game IMO - Hill is constantly on the move whereas NWM looks like more of a stand and deliver link up player. A bit like Farren Ray with better skills but less running capacity.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Is he the Nasiah?
He’s just a naughty boy.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 2:37am
freely wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 12:56am

(please no!!!)
Super quick, half back flanker. Suffer a hamstring strain in April, then in July, a foot injury 2 weeks after he returned from the hammy and then poor form after his return, not being able to exploit his pace and kicking the way he had done before. Good luck Son.
I’d never wish him bad luck but Sinn went 1 pick later so we’ll be kicking ourselves if NWM turns out to be Raph Clarke ..and Sinn guns it
Anyway can kick so see the need but geez I’d have liked a pure mid - interesting Johnson still there so clubs saw something they didn’t quite like
Going to be intriguing watching who got this crop right
Hope we get our NGAs and a plus 1 slider...

“Yeah….nah””
wally
Club Player

My biggest concern is the homesick go home factor

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

If Sinn turns out to be a gun then all 11 clubs prior should kick themselves not just us

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 10:03pm Glad to see he's excited our fans on this thread - that's great to see.

I'm of the contrarian view regarding who we drafted; WCE traded 12 for Port's 14 + future 2nd and I would have snapped Port's hand off had they offered 14 + future 2nd for our 11. I'm a bit staggered we didn't take it as they must have offered it to us first (for the record, I'd have taken Matthew Johnson or Ben Hobbs).

As for NWM, I see lots of positives in his game and some negatives, too. So he wasn't this high on my draft board. A bit puzzled we went for him this high.

Fingers crossed he comes on, works his absolute backside off and he becomes the new Cyril Rioli. That'd be amazing. I doubt he'll get to that level, but let's hope.

As for Owens and Windhager, I have Owens about 30 and Windhager outside the top 40 (due to his back). I think we'll get both without losing much skin considering real quality like Johnson, Sonsie, Howes, Butler, Roberts and Draper etc are still on the board and should all go before 30. There's even a wild (5-10%) chance one of those might slip to our next pick and we can get a slider plus our NGA two.

If not, I expect will take our NGA pair and say a prayer that we land Blake Schlensog, too.
If we had done this trade port would’ve taken him. They were very clear about that fact leading in. They wanted him with their pick
We obviously also wanted him so didn’t want to miss out

I take your point, you would have done that trade because you wanted Hobbs but clearly our recruiters didn’t therefore no dice

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Personally the trade I wish we could do would be to get back into this draft and steal Johnson. I just don’t know how we do that with no future second

#1 Ryder fan
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 7:18am Personally the trade I wish we could do would be to get back into this draft and steal Johnson. I just don’t know how we do that with no future second
We have a full book of picks for next year dont we? Trading a future second before we got our NGA'S would be foolhardy and would deserve prompt bids on both our NGA's.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Our new boy has a very natural excellent kicking style.

The rise to AFL level won’t stop that.

He will be our next Ben Long

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spiral3
Club Player

Welcome Nasiah! great to have some more skill at the saints :D
hopefully he can work on his contested skills a bit and learn some techniques to handle close checking
can't imagine he'll be allowed to run around on his own at AFL level
really hope he ends up a great player for the saints

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 8:46pm Jumper no 7 presented by Nicky Winmar
I cant wait to see the occur!

The kid has in inate ability to judge where the ball will be seconds before his opponents (its a rare skill), I wouldnt be concerned about his contested game he will be a ripper!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 7:18am Personally the trade I wish we could do would be to get back into this draft and steal Johnson. I just don’t know how we do that with no future second
I reckon he will be taken at pick # 21 by Fremantle - they will be ecstatic to get 3 highly rated WA kids. Johnson is highly rated but with NWM, Windhager & Owens (191/192cm) we are more likely to target a different type of player if we are to trade back in.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Very exciting!!
What are the odds, you think, of these fellas getting a game in 2022, in the firsts? (More than just a token one in say Round 18)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If you trust Cal Twomey's judgement (I do), with Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, and Owens, we will have picked up three players within the top 30 with a terrible draft hand. He's had Windhager and Owens ranked in the mid 20s in some of his recent phantom drafts. Surely, we have to be happy with that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

repta
Club Player

Hi Coaches
Skilled Outside midfielder has just been drafted.

Use his skills. Dont reteach him skills.

Dont make him into a Inside Midfielder. Or continually be on his case about winning his own ball.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

This is the AFL. It’s not high school

You can’t choose your subjects. You can’t choose when to attack a loose ball if you’re the only Saints player close to the ball

If he’s got the qualities that I think he has, he will improve on his existing skills and he will be keen and willing to learn new skills

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Moreover, it will be team first. Whatever, the team needs him to be I suppose. On balance, I suppose early days are about letting him find his feet. I remember Stevie Baker. He’d be a starting mid in the old VFA, but AFL coaches told him (GT?) if he wants to play AFL its gotta be a one as a negating pest...no fetching his own ball, no Gary Albert antics.

Now we have a talent here, so I suppose more leeway is given?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 9:21am

He will be our next Ben Long
Is that code for ‘you don’t think it’s a good pick’ or have you changed your mind about Long since you posted this;

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1710169

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think the first order of the day is that knowing ball winning will never be a key feature of his game, we have to really ensure that this NMW really really gets super aerobic.

The balance between aerobic fitness and building core strength so that he can go in to a contest when and not just be pushed off… is one that we’ve managed really poorly in the past. In many instances, we taken players that rely on the zip and bulked on way too much muscle making them both slower and prone to soft tissue injuries.

The other thing I tend to notice is that we have to be really clear as to the type of role we want him playing. It’s easy to say pure mid but if he can be shut out of games… which seems likely early on if he doesn’t get his own ball, it’s not unimaginable seeming his float between wing, HBF, HFF, FP and go nowhere in terms of development.